Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,271 Words
  • 2,016 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 17. Chapter 17

Adam and Justin visits The Cave. Patrick visits his friend Mia at a convention and runs into the killer.

Adam filled Justin in on the chaos from last night as they finished their lunch in Adam’s office.” Justin sat back and shook his head at the craziness Adam shared.

“So, your verdict?” asked Adam.

“You slept with a possible suspect?” asked Justin, wearing a vintage tee shirt, cargo jeans and black, polished biker boots.

“Yes I did,” said Adam, wiping his chin with a paper napkin and trying not to grin.

“And your ex-boyfriend is one of the investigators on the case?” Justin collected their finished containers and tossed them in the trash.

“That’s also a yes.”

“And your ex-boyfriend’s new boyfriend happens to be his partner on the case?”

“Yep, crazy.”

“Very. So what’s your next move?”

“You said you’re good at research?”

“Yeah, do you want me to do a background check on Patrick Valdez?” Justin walked out to his desk with Adam following. As he sat in his chair Adam walk to the coffee pot and poured himself a cup. He gestured to Justin, holding an empty mug, if he want one.

“No thanks boss. Two’s my limit.” He typed in his password and brought up the search engine.

“Also do one on Gavin Martin. Where they hang out, and who their close friends are. I need to do some footwork.”

“I can tell you this, Patrick’s father owns most of this city. I doubt any of this will be on the internet, or TV any longer after last night’s broadcast.”

“Which means anyone I speak to may not know about Gavin’s death.”

“And if it does get out, the media will make sure Patrick Valdez gets shown as the victim,” Justin said glancing at Adam with raised eyebrows.

“He is the victim.” Justin turned his eyes back to his computer, avoiding Adam’s gaze.

“I’ll jump on the research now, boss.” Adam ignored the vibe he got off Justin and started back for his office.

“How old is Patrick?” asked Justin, with his eyes focused on his computer screen.

“Don’t know. I’m sure he’s over eighteen, right?”

“I suspect.” Justin glanced sideways at Adam, who was now leaning against his doorframe. “Do you like them that young?”

“Not usually,” he said, looking down at his cup. “But we were both under a lot of stress and--” Adam remembered his time with Patrick and didn’t want to downsize what he was feeling towards him, but he knew Patrick wasn’t naïve. Patrick was a skilled flirt. A squeeze on his heart causes him to stop and rethink his response. “No. Something did happen between us and I’m not going to talk about it because it’s my personal business. Okay?” he said candidly to Justin.

“Sure, boss.”

“But I will tell you I’m going to go see Patrick Valdez to make sure he’s alright, after I do some checking around. By the way, thanks for setting up both offices. You did an awesome job; I can actually start taking paying clients.”

“The Cave,” said Justin, spinning in his chair to face Adam.

“The Cave?”

“Yeah, it’s a bar where a lot of hipsters hangout. It’s in the college district.”

“Okay,” Adam said, clueless.”

“That’s where we have to go.”

“We? No, I told you. You’re only doing office work.”

“No offence, but if you go in there you’ll get nowhere. Hipsters have their own language and reject mainstream culture. I can relate to that and have explored The Cave before. What could happen?”

“Okay, but I’ll do the questioning.”

“And I’ll make sure you get answers. Also there’s a Costume-Con in town today.”

“Oh really.”

“Yeah you think Patrick will be there?”

“After what happened. I doubt it.”

“He might have friends there that could fill us in on Gavin’s character.” Adam walked over to his overzealous assistant and turned his chair so that he faced him.

“Us? There is no ‘us’, Justin. You don’t have an ounce of training to deal with dangerous situations when they arise. I’m taking you with me only for an observer, not as a partner. Understood?”

“Sure, boss. You’re in charge.” Adam returned to his office to collect his gun and badge as Justin gathered the address to The Cave and the convention hall.

**************

Fifteen minutes later Justin walked into ‘The Cave’ with Adam following. The bar was decorated with furnishings from different decades. A long bar with high cushioned bar stools was off to the right with antique lighting above it. Round, scattered tables and chairs sat to the right with mismatched hardwood chairs placed haphazardly at the tables. Pinball machine bells and dings echoed from the back. A few people scattered around the room socialized; a male and female at the bar; three males, and one female sitting by a jukebox; and two males sitting at the table playing cards.

Justin scanned the patrons, and his eyes landed on the two hipsters’ playing cards. One black male named Paul and a white male named Peter. Both wore black frame glasses, vintage clothes, sports jackets with slimming pants, and button up shirts. Justin turned to Adam and nodded his head towards them.

“We should talk to them. If anyone knows anything, it’s Peter and Paul.”

“You know them?”

“We’re acquainted with each other. More with Paul than Peter.”

“Okay, why don’t you introduce us?”

“First we need four beers.” Justin approached the bar and caught the eye of a female bartender.

“What can I get you?” she asked.

“Four fat tires.” She turned and grabbed four cans of Blue Ribbon beer, placing them on the bar. Adam paid for the drinks as Justin walked up to the men and did the introductions.

“Hey guys, mind if we join you?” They looked at Justin and immediately offered an empty chair.

“Justin,” said Paul. “Where-have-you-been?” he asked scanning Justin up and down.

“School, a new place, and new job,” said Justin with a flirtatious smile. Before sitting down, he turned to Adam. “This is my boss Adam Potter; he’s a detective.”

“LOL you work for a detective that so deck,” said Peter, who pulled a chair for Adam to sit. Adam watched at the three cracked opened the cans and tasted the brew.

Paul licked his lips and set his drink down. “So Justin when can we hook up again?”

“That depends on you answering some questions for my boss.”

“Well, chatter on PI, and we’ll try and bring you up to code,” said Paul.

“I need to know if either of you know a Gavin Martin?” asked Adam.

“Gavin, sure we know him. He gives…” they glanced at one another. “…great parties.”

“Can you tell me anything else about him?”

“Well, he brags about his moms’ jobs a lot, and he’s a big spender,” said Paul.

“Of course he is. He has a Sugar Bear,” said Peter as they snickered.

“A Sugar Bear?” asked Adam.

“Yeah, he’s some young dude Gavin uses as a debit card,” said Peter.

“What’s his name?” asked Adam.

“Patrick somebody. We never bothered to learn his last name. Some poor little rich boy Gavin has, biting at his heels.” Adam held his composure as he thought of the sweet and passionate young man he had in his arms earlier that day.

“So you guys don’t like this Patrick?’ continued Adam.

“Gavin said he was his security blanket, and once they got married he’d leave him home,” said Paul.

“Tell me about Gavin’s great parties?” said Adam.

“Well, they’re invite only. They have free drinks and a stage show,” said Peter.

“Anything else special about them?”

“No, that’s it,” said Paul, taking another swallow of his beer.

“Well you said there was a stage show. Was it a band?”

“No, more like… a fashion show. Guys dress up and give us a performance,” said Paul.

“What kind of performance?”

“You should ask Gavin that. He’s the man with the tickets.”

“He charges people?

“Only people who want a little more action. Why, are you interested in attending?”

“Well, just to be clear. When you say action, you mean?”

“Companionship man. What else? And they are so biddable.”

“Okay, thanks. We got to go. Come on Justin,” said Adam standing and heading for the door. Justin rose to follow when Peter grabbed his wrist.

“Hey, Justin call me up.”

“Sure, but I need to go,” said Justin.

“Hey, what was with the PI and the questions, Gavin in trouble?” asked Paul.

“Can’t say, sorry.” Justin pulled away and raced after Adam, who was already in his jeep starting the motor. Justin climbed in, as Adam pulled into traffic.

“You think they were telling the truth?” asked Adam, stopping at a red light.

“Why would they need to lie?” asked Justin.

“Why did Patrick stay with Gavin?”

“Who knows why people end up with each other? Maybe Gavin acted different when they were alone.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Are we going to the convention hall?”

“Yeah. Maybe Patrick’s crew will shed some light on Gavin. ”

*************

Patrick walked into the empty store, and a young woman, wearing the required uniform of a solid polo shirt and khakis, immediately approached him. Her white bleached hair was streaked with pink cotton candy streaks and she had four piercings along both her ears, Patrick figured she was not enjoying her job when she presented a painted, stale smile.

“Hello-welcome-how-can-I-help-you-today?” she asked in one breath.

“I need a new cell phone,” said Patrick, glancing around for a back exit.

“We just received a shipment--” But Patrick cut her short. He glanced at her name tag and saw GINA in all caps.

“Listen Gina, I need to use your phone, I need you to let me out the back door, and I need for you to cover for me if anyone comes in asking for me. I can make it worth your while?”

“Keep talking,” she said, crossing her arms.

“Have you heard of the name Cyprus Valdez?”

“He owns most the city right?”

“That’s right. He’s also my father.”

“Yeah right,” she said, crossing her arms in disbelief. Patrick brought out his wallet and removed his ID card showing it to her. Gina’s mouth fell open.

“Are you really his son?”

“In the flesh. And I can help you get a better job than this one, someplace else.”

Gina agreed to cover for him as she loaned him her cell. He dial his friend Mia’s number and waited for her to answer.

“Hello?”

“Mia, its Patrick.”

“Patrick where are you? I thought you were coming today to help?”

“I want to Mia but…”

“Hey, it’s okay if you and Gavin have plans?”

“Mia… I need to see you.”

“Well, come to the hall. We can talk there.”

“But you’re busy.”

“I always have time for you. Besides my show doesn’t happen until two o’clock so I’ll just be setting up. I’m here early.”

“Thanks Mia, I’ll be there in few. Bye.” He returned Gina her cell. “Gina if anyone comes in asking for me just tell them I’m in the bathroom.”

“No problem.” She showed Patrick the backdoor. He promised he'd return in twenty minutes. He hurried over to the convention hall that was hosting a Costume-Con where people, novice and professional can show off their craftsmanship on custom making in all genera. He bought a ticket and went straight to the area where Mia was displaying her show.

He saw her unpacking and propping her doll models in various heights and sizes on clear stands. Her theme was Game of Throne, and she had the whole cast dressed in perfect detail costumes and ready to display in front of the small scenery she recreated. In the beginning of her love for working at cosplay conventions, Mia couldn’t afford to pay anyone to model her creations. So instead she used dolls to show off her sewing abilities. She not only gained customers she grew fans of her dolls. She caught sight of Patrick. She waved him over as he avoided being hit by the wing of a six foot tree fairy. They embraced.

“Mia, is there someplace we can speak in private?”

“Patrick, I have a lot to do here. Why can’t we talk while I work?”

“Mia, Gavin’s dead.”

Mia paused after hearing the words, then rushed to ask one of her helpers to take over as she grabbed Patrick’s hand and walked him to an empty booth that had drapes around it. Mia and Patrick ducked behind it, giving them enough privacy from onlookers. She hugged him close.

“How?” she asked as they parted.

“He took me back to the graveyard last night...to fuck. Somebody stabbed Gavin in the back.”

“You mean while you two were--”

“Yeah.”

“What did you do?”

“I didn’t know until I pushed Gavin off me and saw the knife sticking out of him.”

“Oh my God. Did you get hurt?”

“No. I got away.”

“Thank goodness. So I assume the cops were called?”

“Yes.”

“And your dad?”

“He knows.”

“Is he going to send you away?”

“No. I talked him out of it, but I had to promise to keep a low profile and I’m staying at my parent’s home.”

“Well, it’s for the best. At least until the police catch the guy.”

“Remember when I was oversea and told you about Peter’s death?”

“You mean that dancer you were dating in Brazil?”

“He was stabbed from behind while we were watching a movie. The theater wasn’t that crowed and it happened when the lights went out.”

“Wait Patrick, you’re not say these are connected.”

“And Gen in China who was stabbed when he was walking home from work.”

“It’s a hell of a coincidence. Did you tell the police?”

“No.”

“But if there’s someone out there killing guys you’ve dated, then the police should know.”

“I need to talk to someone first.”

“Who?”

“Jay.”

“You mean your personal stalker?”

“Do you know if he’s here?”

“You’re the only one who’s seen his face. The rest of us only saw him in masks.”

“I have to go find him. I need answers.”

“And what if he’s the killer? Then what? Do you think he’s going to let you go to the police?”

“It’s crowded here. He won’t try anything.”

“Patrick, just go to the police and tell them everything.”

“You’re right.”

“I am. Now I need to get back to my show. Are you going to be okay? Do you want to hang out here until after the show and I’ll go to the cops with you?”

“No. I’ll be fine. My father’s driver is right outside.”

“That’s even better. Tell your father and he can have his lawyer take care of everything.”

They left the booth and when they reached Mia’s table they embraced again before Patrick walked off. As he moved towards the entrance, someone stepped into his path wearing a brown, hooded cloak, the hood covered most of his face that was concealed with the same grinning harlequin mask from last night. But this time undamaged. Patrick froze as the man grabbed him and pulled him in close to speak in his ear.

“Don’t cry out or I swear, she will be next,” said the gritty voice of the Harlequin. Patrick knew he was talking about Mia as he tried to relax in his grip. “Much better. Now you’re going to walk with me and not draw any attention.” The Harlequin draped his arm around Patrick’s shoulder, who was almost hidden by the cape, and walked him in the opposite direction of the entrance.

************

Adam paid for his and Justin tickets, and entered the convention hall.

“Okay, you ask around about Patrick and that’s it. Once you find someone call me on my cell and I’ll question them. Okay?”

“Will do, boss.” Justin went one way and Adam went another.

Adam was greeted by an array of characters dressed as beings for other worlds. Adam’s parents would have been in heaven amongst them. This particular con was for the art of the costume, and his parents would defiantly shine here, having made costumes and done makeup for family and friends.

He felt a prick in his heart when he remembered, as a spoiled fifteen year old, when he told his mother he wasn’t interested in cosplaying or any of the conventions. He knew he broke his heart but the issue was never argued, and the invites stopped. He’d have to remember to pick up a souvenir for them.

He noticed a display of dolls posed and dressed up as his family’s favorite characters. He pulled out his cell and snapped some pictures.

“Very nice,” he said out loud, saving the shots to his phone and catching someone’s attention.

“Glade you like it, my show starts at two.” A young woman of almond complexion handed him her card that read ‘Mia Quin. Cosplay Extraordinaire!’

“Well Mia, I would love to see it.”

“Great, and when you show that card you’ll get an extra 10% off your order.”

“Sounds great.” She was about to walk away when Adam spoke up. “Excuse me, maybe you can help me. I’m looking for someone…” But before he could ask, his cell alerted a text. Checking his phone he saw it was Justin with the words in caps, BINGO. He looked back at Mia. “Hey, you know what? Never mind, my friend found him.”

“Great, see you later,” said Mia, walking away. Adam didn’t have the heart to tell her he wasn’t coming back as he hurried to where Justin was and found him standing at a table filled with helmet molds.

“Justin, what do you got?”

“I saw Patrick Valdez.”

“Patrick, where?”

“Walking that way past those barriers. He wasn’t alone. I was going to follow, but they went through doors marked do not enter.”

“I’ll follow. You go back to the jeep.”

“What? No way.”

“Yes way, Justin. This is an order and if you refuse, you’re fired. Now get your ass back to the jeep!”

“Fine.”

Adam took off after Patrick as Justin turned reluctantly back to the exit. Adam walked quickly, not wanting to draw any attention to himself. When he reached the door, he glanced around and saw that no one was trying to stop him.

“Where are the security personnel?” he thought as he pushed through the door. The wide hallway was well lit with whitewashed walls, doors marked ‘Private Personal’, with two digit numbers beneath them. Every other office had a picture window. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary as Adam walked down the hallway, looking through glass windows seeing desk and chairs in some rooms, and others empty, but no people. The hallway turned to the right, and he heard a faint voice. A hooded man stood at the opposite end of the hallway with his head down, seemingly waiting for him. Adam stopped.

“Who are you, and where is Patrick Valdez?” asked Adam. The man raised his head and the harlequin mask that had terrorized Patrick at the graveyard and Gavin’s apartment and nearly raped him stared back undamaged. Adam pulled out his gun and pointed it at the smiling face. “Stay where you are; I’m making a citizen’s arrest!” No words were said as Adam approached cautiously. “Put your hands on your head and get on your knees!” Adam’s orders were obeyed as he drew closer. When he was almost an arm’s length away, the lights flickered once then went out. “Don’t move!” was all he could yell, when a hard body slammed into him, lifting him off his feet and hurling him through a glass window.

As always thanks for reading.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 11
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A distraction? Adam, how do you manage to think it would be so easy? Even I knew it was very fishy!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..