Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,190 Words
  • 1,670 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 18. Chapter 18

Adam talks to Patrick about the Cave and finds Patrick was playing detective. Later A.J, pays a visit to Adam's office and shares some bad new about Patrick Adam doesn't like.

CHAPTER 18

The lights came back on as Adam’s eyes focused on where he was. He was lying on his side, his gun no longer in his hand.

“Adam!” said Patrick from under a table near the window that Adam had been tossed through. His wrists were cuffed to a pipe behind him. “Get up, run!” he shouted. Adam heard him as he sat up, and saw the Harlequin entering through the door, holding a knife.

He scrambled back against the wall, just as the Harlequin lunged at him, and managed to dodge the knife he thrust towards his chest. He grabbed the man’s arm and used it to regain his footing, but the killer pushed Adam off, causing him to stagger back towards the open door.

“Run, Adam!” cried Patrick.

“Not without you!” Adam shouted back, keeping his eyes on the killer. He readied his stance as the Harlequin came in for another attack. Adam was ready and blocked the knife by grabbing the killer’s arm, and jabbing his knee into the man’s gut. He heard a grunt, but he didn’t drop his weapon as the killer head-butted Adam, who recoiled, but didn’t let go of his arm. The Harlequin tried to kick Adam’s knee, but he missed as Adam swung his elbow and smashed it into the mask. The man had little padding on, so Adam felt he was on even ground when he thrust his fist into the Harlequin’s ribs. The man stared back at Adam, then with all his force he lifted Adam off his feet and body slammed him onto the concrete floor. Adam wasn’t yielding as he kicked the masked man, causing him to let go and stumble back into a wall. Adam got to his feet, standing just in front of Patrick.

“Adam, your gun is under here with me. I can’t get to it!” Adam turned and saw his gun near Patrick’s leg. He went for it and just as he turned, the Harlequin sprinted out the door. Adam gave chase as he raced down the hallway with turns that wasn’t giving him a clear shot of the killer. He heard an alarm and saw an emergency exit door open. He ran through and saw the Harlequin scaling a metal fence. He started to go after him, but then remembered Patrick. He was alone and needed his help. He tucked his gun back into its holster, and returned to the office.

“Patrick, are you alright?” he asked as he ducked under the table. Patrick looked up at him and smiled.

“Yes. Are you?”

“Yeah, but he got away. That guy can run.”

“I thought… I thought he was going to kill you too.” Patrick fought the tears that wanted to come as Adam used his handcuff key to release his wrists. He helped him out from under the table.

“Did he do anything to you?” asked Adam.

“No.” Adam couldn’t wait as he pulled Patrick close and pressing his lips against his. They parted slowly, both filled with lust for one another. “He saw you on the security camera and told me if I called out he’d kill you.”

“Well, you’re safe now.”

“How did you know I was here?”

“I didn’t. I was looking for people who knew you and Gavin as a couple. I saw your cosplay pictures online.”

“But why?”

“I talked to people at The Cave.”

“Did you talk to any of Gavin’s friends?”

“They didn’t speak highly of you.”

“I’m not surprised.”

“There’s two sides to a story. Would you like to tell yours?”

“Yes, but not here. If security finds me here it won’t go over well with my father.”

“Well, it needs to be reported.”

“What are you two doing back here?” asked a security guard through the broken window. “Who broke this window?”

Adam looked to Patrick, who was pleading for help.

“I’ll explain everything.”

“Explain who you two are?”

“My name is Adam Potter and this is Patrick Valdez.”

“You’re both coming with me now.”

They were escorted to another office and questioned by two security guards. The local police were called, and Adam and Patrick had to give a statement explaining the attempted assault made on Patrick by a costumed attacker. Adam showed them his detective ID and permit to carry a weapon. Patrick gave over his ID as well. Adam told them the assailant heaved him through the glass window when he confronted him and ran off. The cops believed them. Returned their ID’s, and allowed them to leave. They exited the convention hall.

“Where can I take you?” asked Adam, holding Patrick’s hand.

“My father’s driver is nearby I can walk...” Adam’s grip on his hand grew a little tighter.

“The hell you are. That nut could still be around here. You’re not going anywhere without an escort.”

Patrick was startled by Adam’s stern words, but understood the concern he had for him and smiled. Adam leaned in for another profound kiss. When they parted, Patrick wanted to go home with Adam, but then reality set in and he remembered the promise he made to his father.

“Okay Detective Potter, would you walk me to my car? My driver is waiting for me.”

“Only if you tell me where you’re going.”

“I’m going to my parents’ house.”

“Sounds good.” Adam removed his cell, and speed dialed Justin's number.

“Hey boss,” answered Justin, who was sitting in the passenger’s seat of Adam’s car.

“Justin, I have Patrick with me and I’m going to walk him to his car. I’ll just be a minute.”

“Wait, Adam,” interrupted Patrick. “I need to go back to the cell phone store first. My driver thinks I’m in there.”

“Why does he think you’re in there?” Patrick smiled and shrugged his shoulders. Adam wanted to give him an earful about his carelessness. “Okay, Justin, change of plans. Bring the jeep to the front entrance to pick us up.”

“Be right there, boss.” They disconnect, and Adam turned to Patrick. “What were you doing here, Patrick?”

“I was checking up on someone who…I thought could be the killer.”

“What?” Adam snapped. Patrick placed his hands on his chest to calm him.

“But my friend talked me out of it. And I was going to tell the police what I knew. That’s when the Harlequin grabbed me.”

“Let me make myself clear, Patrick. Don’t you ever try to investigate this case and talk to possible suspects again on your own. Understood?”

“Understood.”

“If anything had happened to you…” Adam stopped himself, not wanting to finish his thought.

“I’m sorry, Adam. I never thought this would happen.”

“It’s okay. Just tell me what you know.” Patrick shared his story about the attacks on his past relations overseas, the tattoo on the killer’s wrist, and his cosplay stalker Jay. “I’ll share this with the detectives in charge of the case, but they may want to question you again.”

“They know where to find me.”

“And I may want to find you as well.”

“That would be nice so long as it’s not just about this case.” Adam smiled and was about to respond, when Justin pulled up. Adam was going to ask Justin to get in the back seat, when Patrick volunteered and hopped in.

“Patrick, this is my assistant Justin Shi. Justin, this is Patrick Valdez.”

“Hello Mr. Valdez.”

“Hello Justin.”

In silence they returned Patrick to the backdoor of the cell store, where he gave the sales girl what he promised her—his name and contact information for a reference. His driver was still at the car waiting for him. Adam and Justin watched from a distance as the driver opened the back door for him, and waited until he was settled before shutting the door of the high-end luxury car and was safely driven off.

“Where to now?” asked Justin.

“Back to the office.”

 

***************

 

When they arrived, Adam went to his apartment and into the bathroom. His medicine cabinet was loaded with all the important remedies his mother had stocked when he was there. He showered again, and then dressed his cuts with a liquid bandage and swallowed four ibuprofens. He returned to his office while Justin sat at his computer.

“Shouldn’t you be resting?”

“I’m fine.”

“Adam, you were nearly killed.”

“Justin, I grew up on a farm. I fell out of trees, rode my bike off roofs, fell down hills, fought with my older brothers, and survived. This is nothing.”

“Don’t you want to add the military and your fight with a crazy man?”

“Ha, ha. Don’t you have research to do?” asked Adam. They turned when they heard a knock to the outer door.

Justin rose and raked his fingers through his blond locks as he approached the door, unlocking it and then greeting the visitor.

“Hello, welcome to Adam Potter’s detective agency.” He finished with a big smile.

A.J. Chance stood dressed even more impressive than the previous night. His stylish raven-hair donned long spikes, and draped around his forehead, ears, and cheeks. He wore round framed glasses that told Adam that A.J. did an all-nighter that prevented him from putting in his contacts.

Adam walked up and welcomed the detective/ex-boyfriend.

“Thank you, Justin for that—rehearsed introduction. I can take it from here. Good afternoon, Detective Chance.”

“Adam, we need to talk.” A.J. looked at Justin curiously.

“Justin, this is Detective A.J. Chance. Detective Chance, this is my assistant Justin Shi.”

“Hello,” said Justin, who held his hand out to A.J., who accepted the greeting.

“We can talk in my office.”

“I prefer next door.”

“Next door, why?”

“I’ll explain on the way.” A.J. turned and exited the room. Adam sighed as he got his coat and gun and waved goodbye to Justin.

They took the stairs as A.J. spoke.

“You allow your assistant to wear what he likes to work?”

“I have a casual work environment.”

“What sort of clientele are you expecting to generate with that method?”

“You’d be surprised who finds my ideology quite avant-garde.” A.J. had to catch himself from cracking a smile at Adam’s subtle attempt at humor, and quickly changed the subject.

“Did Mr. Valdez get home safely last night?” A.J. asked, keeping his eyes ahead.

“Are you asking for the case or yourself?” asked Adam, giving him a sideways glance.

“The case, of course. Patrick Valdez has now become a suspect.”

“What?” Adam froze on the last landing as A.J. continued on down.

“You heard me. Patrick's a suspect.” He walked out to the lobby, passing the elevator, to the front door. Adam caught up to him and grabbed the push handle to the door, preventing A.J. from leaving. “Are you shitting me?” he snapped.

“I do not—shit you Adam,” A.J. said, locking his hazel eyes with Adam’s green ones. “In fact, my partner is on his way to his home to question him.”

“This is insane,. Patrick was nearly killed by some maniac, and you want to pin it on him?”

“Not me, Adam, the evidences.”

“What evidences?” Adam shot back.

A.J. pushed past him, walking into the icy air towards the crime scene. Both men turned their collars up as Adam matched A.J.’s steps.

“A.J., you have the wrong man. I saw the killer and Patrick’s not him.”

“True, Patrick wasn’t the one in the mask, but we believe he was the one who orchestrated everything.”

“You’re wrong. And I’m going to prove it.” A.J. stopped at the police tape that blocked the door to the store underneath Gavin’s apartment. He turned to Adam with an arrogance in his stare that always boiled Adam’s blood. But it’s also a look that he only wore when he was right. And that worried Adam.

“Adam, I’d like to show you something?”

“You sure it won’t compromise your investigation?”

A.J. unlocked the paper covered door and ducked under the police tape to enter; Adam followed.

The empty store was surprisingly clean. A rectangular counter sat towards the back, covered with a drop cloth. Nothing else was in the room except a half circular stage flush against the wall. A satin curtain on rings draped the bottom half of the platform.

A.J. walked over to the stage that was eighteen inches off the floor. He stepped onto it with ease. Adam watched as A.J. turned to look at him. Adam remembered that he loved him once. So deep it carved opened his soul when A.J. cheated on him with Artie Cutter, who was A.J.’s mentor at the time. Adam left town to forget and stayed with his older brother Damien who, although busy with work, took time to help his younger brother through his ordeal.

Damien was the one who told Adam to follow his own path, and forget the one that he planned with A.J. It took a year, but Adam got over A.J.’s deception, and returned to start his agency. Now his halo ex was trying to destroy any possible chance with someone new.

“Detective Cutter mentioned you found a door upstairs in Gavin Martin’s spare bedroom?”

“That’s right.”

“How did you know it was there?”

“The room’s walls were the same structure as my office.”

“Well, Detective Cutter and I found where it leads.” He turned and pulled the curtain back. At first glance it was just a wall, but unlike the one upstairs and in Adam’s office, this one was off color and not flush with the adjoining wall. A.J. pressed the release handle, and the door opened inward.

“So the door leads down here, big deal.”

“Oh, it is. Follow me, please.” A.J. stepped through the door, and Adam halfheartedly crossed the threshold into the hall to another door. “Now to the left are the stairs that lead back to Gavin’s room, but in here is what you need to see.”

Adam wasn’t sure if he wanted to see what was behind the door. But if it was evidence against Patrick, he needed to see it for himself. A.J. opened the door and flicked on the light that revealed a small room with three vanity tables, with light bulb trimmed mirrors along the left wall. The tables showed traces of makeup smeared on them. The opposite wall displayed photographs of different people dressed in different costumes; the 5x7 photos covered most of one wall. Straight back was a wardrobe filled with different costumes.

“They used this room as a dressing room for the shows performed on that stage out there,” said A.J. “But this isn’t why I brought you here.” He walked closer to the wall and pointed at a picture of three people. Adam looked at the photo and saw what looked to be a male dressed as steampunk character with a fighter pilot’s leather cap, with brass goggles, and leather boomer jacket.

In the middle of the two men was a female dressed as a Geisha. Her hair was styled like a wrap, and she held the pilot’s arm. The white creamy makeup on her face made her skin glow as did the shimmery, rosy tint to her cheeks. Her eyelashes were strange. Instead of being on the top eyelids, the fake lashes that resembled bird feathers were placed on the bottom lids, giving a more haunting beauty to the wearer.

The third male, who was taller than the other two, stood close to the Geisha, but didn’t touch her. He was a steampunk dressed in a top hat with a scarf tied around it that hung loose in the back. He wore black tinted glasses, a buccal mask, and a duster coat overtopped what looked to be a ruffled collar shirt under a leather vest. He was tilting his hat at the camera with a gloved hand. Adam noticed that the gloves resembled the same ones the Harlequin wore.

“Recognize anyone in that picture?” asked A.J.

“Should I?”

“You were with him last night, weren’t you?”

“Make your point A.J.”

“Patrick Valdez is the Geisha.”

Adam had to look again, but closer.

“Impossible,” he said, stepping away.

A.J. removed the frameless photo from the wall and turned it around, showing Adam Patrick’s name. Adam handed back the photo, but not before looking at the beauty that he held in his arms early that morning.

“So this is your proof?”

“A pair of dirty gloves were found in the back of that wardrobe. I’m sending them to the lab to lift for prints and blood. Also, Gavin’s body was brought through here and taken up through that hidden door.”

“Okay, so how is Patrick involved?”

“We believe he let the killer in with Gavin Martin’s body, then staged the attack.”

“Come on A.J., you're grasping at straws. I saw the killer fighting with Patrick in the tree and standing over him with a knife when Patrick fell.”

“You could have mistaken what you saw. Patrick fell, but it could have happened when he and the killer were trying to leave the scene of the crime when the branch broke. The masked man may have been trying to help him up, but then you showed up, forcing them to change their plans.”

“So why did they bring Gavin back to his place? Why not leave him at the cemetery?”

“That's being determined, but what you may think was rape might have been a relationship. Until you broke in and spoiled things. So Patrick and the Harlequin had to adjust their plans again.”

“Do you know how insane that sounds? Patrick wouldn’t do anything like that.”

“My God Adam, did you fuck him?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“Christ, you did.”

“Do you know the killer made another move on Patrick?”

“You mean at the convention hall? Yes. And what were you doing there?”

“Your job!”

“I didn’t asked for your help, Adam. But since you’re asking, don’t you find it strange that Patrick Valdez was out enjoying himself a few hours after his boyfriend’s death?”

“He wasn’t there for enjoyment.”

“Then what was he doing there?”

“He thought he knew who the killer was.”

“Really, and he decided to withhold that from the police and go arrest him himself?”

“He wasn’t thinking straight.”

“He wasn’t…or maybe he was there to talk to his partner.”

“I don’t have to listen to this.” Adam turned to leave, but A.J. called out.

“Then know this, Adam. Gavin Martin was prostituting Patrick out dressed as female fantasies for clients. Patrick was using the spare bedroom upstairs that locks from the outside for the services of sex.”

Adam’s patience was wearing thin.

“A.J. of all the despicable things you’ve done to me…”

“I did to you? Oh no Adam, you’re not turning my investigation into your woe-as-me song. The evidences is stacking up against Patrick, and when the lab work comes back from the glove and mattress, the truth will be exposed. Patrick Valdez was sick of being used, so he devised a plan with the mystery male to kill Gavin Martin and make believe he was a victim. We will arrest him and charge him with murder one.”

Patrick shared information with Adam who wasn't thrilled Patrick was looking for the killer. But now with A.J's new Adam has to try to keep Patrick out of jail.
Thanks for reading.
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 13
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..