Jump to content
    Kitt
  • Author
  • 1,436 Words
  • 1,136 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Voice Rambles On - 5. Any Port in a Storm

Young lovers out for a walk. What could be more romantic?

Any Port in a Storm

Prompt # 334

 

Thunder crashed around the teens as they ran through the woods. The storm was getting vicious, and they knew if they didn't find shelter soon they would be soaked to the skin. They dashed between trees and scrub brush, branches and vines tearing at their legs, doing their very best to trip the young couple.

 

“Remind me again how much fun a walk in the woods would be?” Carmen asked for the tenth time.

 

“Save your breath and run! There is a house up ahead! I can see the roof.” Ryker pulled his boyfriend along by the hand, determined to find a place to hide out until the storm passed.

 

“Oh god, we are dead!” Carmen tried to hang back in the wood line, reluctant to cross the 200 yards of open space to the porch of the dilapidated old house. Lightning struck randomly and rapidly all around them. Ryker gave a solid yank on his arm and all but dragged him toward the relative safety of the rickety old building.

 

The place looked like it had been abandoned years ago. A key was hardly necessary to gain entry. The broken door swung wildly in the building wind. The boys now had to shout to be heard over the cacophony.

 

“Let’s get inside before one of those lightning bolts decides we look like a damn lightning rod!”

 

Carmen caught the door on its next swing and held it open for Ryker to dash through. Once inside he held it closed again till his boyfriend could drag an old table over to block it shut. The interior was surprisingly clean for an abandoned house. There was no dust, no debris, no cast off bottles from some drunken teenage binge.

 

“Do you smell something sweet?” Ryker looked around, wondering why it smelled like his mom’s kitchen when she was making sticky buns.

 

“Don’t be silly love. There is so much dirt on these windows, and the door being loose, no one could have been living here in a long time. What on earth could smell sweet?”

 

“I don’t know! I am just glad we got in here before THAT started!” Ryker gestured at the window, where the rain was running down the exterior in sheets. He sank into an old style wing chair. Running his finger over the arm, he looked up at his boyfriend.

 

“I am not so sure this place is abandoned! There is no dust anywhere. I don’t think the mice would be dusting, would they?”

 

Carmen drew in a deep breath and shouted as loudly as he could manage.

 

“Hello – Is there anyone here? We came in out of the storm. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

Both boys held their breath and listened for several minutes. They heard nothing that indicated the house was occupied by anything bigger than a mouse.

 

Once they caught their breath, the boys looked at each other with lost looks. Now what?

 

“Let’s look around. Maybe we can find the source of the sweet smell. If nothing else we can kill time until the storm lets up. Then we can follow the driveway down to the road, figure out where the hell we are, and maybe get home before dinner!”

 

“Ryker, what if someone is living here? They might not get too pissed finding us sitting in the living room, but if they catch us snooping around they are sure to!”

 

“Carmen, relax. Worst they can do is call a cop and have us busted right? They call our parents we explain, and we go home.”

 

“Uh, no – worst that can happen is we get found by some lunatic who thinks teenage boys are yummy. I told you about what happened to my cousin and his friends when they got lost in the desert. It was only dumb luck the cops decided to break into that old warehouse the tire tracks lead to, and not wait for a search warrant. Things could have gone very badly for Billy and his friends if Aunt Jacky hadn’t thought of activating the gps tracker in the car and having the police go out when she did.”

 

“We are not going to get abducted and abused by some weirdo! That was one of those freak once in a billion things and since we know someone it happened to, statistics say we are safe.”

 

Ryker won the argument and the boys began to wander around the ground floor. It really struck them as odd that there was no dust, no dirt anywhere. Even the best housekeeper would have left some sign of something that could use cleaning somewhere. When they entered the kitchen, the sweet smell got stronger. There were no appliances, only big gaps in the cabinetry where they should go. Carmen turned the faucet with no result. He wondered how anyone could keep a place this clean with no running water.

 

“Hey Carm! I found the source of that sweet smell. Look here – Honey!”

 

Sticking his head into the pantry, Carmen saw what his boyfriend was pointing at. Someone had replaced part of the wall with what looked like plexi glass, and the entire interior of the wall was filled with honey comb. Bees were industriously tending the hive. Watching through the plexi was fascinating.

 

“There are thousands of em! It looks like 5 or 6 stud cavities are completely full of comb!” Ryker grinned like a 6 year old. “Wanna figure out a way to get some of the honey?”

 

“Hmmm – wander around some beekeepers weird project house, maybe pissing him off. Try to remove honey from what looks like an extremely active hive and definitely pissing the bees off.” Carmen made weighing motions with his hands. “Think I will take my chances with the weird bee keeper.”

 

“The storm is starting to let up, but it is also getting dark. I am thinking maybe you are right, and we should make a break for it down the driveway as soon as the rain lets up a little more. It sounds like the heart of the storm has moved off.” The thunder had indeed quieted and no lightning could be seen before the distant low rolls washed over the house.

“What the hell is that horrible smell all of a sudden? It smells sort of like my dog did after he got skunked last summer and then dad tossed him in the lake trying to get rid of the smell. Wet skunked dog!”

 

A sudden bolt of lightning struck close to the house – so close there was not more than half a second between the flash and the crash of thunder. Silhouetted in the doorway by the flash was a huge misshapen man.

 

“That would be me. What are you boys doing in here?”

 

The entire situation became too much for Ryker and his boyfriend. They shrieked and ran out the door, bolting down the driveway at a dead run.

 

Bobby removed the protective screening from his head. He made a face at his own aroma.

 

“Guess that skunk got me worse than I thought. But wet dog? Now that was just insulting!”

Copyright © 2014 Kitt; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The yummy boys comment had me thinking things might go bad. This was inventive and fun, Kitt.

Link to comment

Great chapter, Kitt! Ya had me going up until the end! lol I was ready to run too! :P

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I would have definitely run, too. I hate bees! :P LOL Great little story. :)

Link to comment
:lol: I was afraid it would be a horror story at first - I liked this story. I don't like bees so I would leave the house right away and I would welcome the rain :P Sweet little story :)
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 07:47 AM, Slytherin said:
:lol: I was afraid it would be a horror story at first - I liked this story. I don't like bees so I would leave the house right away and I would welcome the rain :P Sweet little story :)
Glad you enjoyed it! The bee's didn't bother me at all, but the oddly clean house did!
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 05:56 AM, mickey1952 said:
Cute little story. And loved the surprise ending. Way to go, Sis!
Thanks Bro! I have always wanted to wander through abandoned old farm houses and the like. I blame it on my uncle buying a 300 yr old farmhouse when i was 6 the whole family went in to explore it the weekend after the closing!
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 05:16 AM, Valkyrie said:
I would have definitely run, too. I hate bees! :P LOL Great little story. :)
It all just got too much for Ryker and Carmen.
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 04:58 AM, Lisa said:
Great chapter, Kitt! Ya had me going up until the end! lol I was ready to run too! :P
Isn't that what I was supposed to do? Keep you on the edge of your seat? Thanks!
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 03:49 AM, Cole Matthews said:
That was great Kitt!! Very inventive and i love the surprise at the end. Fantastic!
Thank you Cole! I am glad you liked it.
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 03:24 AM, Ron said:
The yummy boys comment had me thinking things might go bad. This was inventive and fun, Kitt.
Thank you Ron. I got to that point and thought it might be a good spot to let you all know the boys looking for the amusement park finally got home safely!
Link to comment

How did he keep that house so clean? I kept expecting a ghost so your ending was a surprise. A very neat little story.

Link to comment
On 08/26/2014 07:24 AM, dughlas said:
How did he keep that house so clean? I kept expecting a ghost so your ending was a surprise. A very neat little story.
That was one of the weird parts. Not only did he keep it clean - we have no clue WHY he did. Thanks for reading and taking the time to review!
Link to comment
On 10/16/2014 10:03 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Wonderful prompt Kitt--I was expecting just what the boys were--butI laughed out loud when the end came!
Thanks for reading CG. I am glad you enjoyed!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..