Jump to content

In Service of Others

   (5 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

Jess struggles daily with the consequences of a deadly mission. Ben believes he knows what will help: a support dog. Jess is unconvinced.

Kudos to my editing team, Jeff H. and Brian H., and special thanks to Parker Owens for his proofread and edits/suggestions.
Copyright © 2023 Libby Drew; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (8 members)

  • Action Packed 1
  • Addictive/Pacing 7
  • Characters 8
  • Chills 4
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 6
  • Feel-Good 7
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 6
  • Tearjerker 5
  • Unique 6
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 8,467 Words
    • 2,309 Views
    • 32 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

pvtguy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

When one confuses training/work with identity, one loses the sense of "who am I really?"  This is an exceptionally well-written journey through PTSD of a Navy Seal who has returned to life outside of the Navy that leads to finding not only self, but also love. 

Response from the author:

Thank you very much for the review! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Bill W

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Jess and Ben are suffering from PTSD after their tours of duty end.  Ben was an officer in the army, while Jess was a Navy Seal, but they're both carrying different types of scars from their time in combat zones.  Libby Drew offers a sensitive and well-written account of what they're dealing with as they help each other in different ways and the relationship that develops from it.  It's a great read and I couldn't put it down.  I highly recommend it. 

Response from the author:

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
vonfoto

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A wonderful, heartwarming story reminding us how much can be lost for the heroic young men sent into brutal wars by heedless politicians and the generals who do their bidding. Beautifully written and carefully paced. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review. Much appreciated!

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Cane23

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This story is beautiful honoring to the heroes of war. Jess is a SEAL, suffering from PTSD. An accident in the fountain makes him acquainted to Ben, former army officer and Cora, therapeutic dog. Apart from the physical attraction Jess feels toward Ben, he is reluctant to involve in the therapy and start the process of healing. Spending time together, with the help of their dogs, they influence each other and help healing the scars of the past. Their relationship grows into romance. Two damaged, lost souls find love and hope, find strength to move forward. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for taking the time to comment AND to review. The effort is much appreciated. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Gary L

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

another reviewer used the word ‘beautiful’ and this really is a beautifully told story.  Post war, post combat, two damaged heroes( in my humble opinion) edge closer and closer.

I know the author has many fans for her great stories from a different genre, but this story show real quality and gritty realism. I absolutely loved it.  Bravo!!!

Response from the author:

Thank you for your insightful and thoughtful review!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..