Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,563 Words
  • 3,303 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crave - 22. Chapter 22

Chapter 22

 

Merrick was led through a maze of corridors and down a long staircase. He didn’t recognize the area, and knew it wasn’t how he came into the building. As if sensing his unspoken question, the senator turned slightly as he stepped onto the landing at the base of the staircase. “We’re going through the tunnels to the visitor’s quarters. Under the circumstances the Maser would like to keep your contact to a minimum until the investigation begins.”

The tunnels ran in different directions under the Maser’s fortress. Each path was blocked by a large metal door locked by a scanner. The senator placed his hand on the sensor and leaned forward for a retinal scan. “Does everything down here have limited access or can any Alecteran use the tunnels?”

“Every door down here can only be opened by me, Maser Luda and the head of security.”

“Would the Maser’s wife also have access?”

“The Maser's mate... not wife.” The Alecteran stiffened slightly.

“Okay.. .would his future mate have security clearance?” He was curious how far reaching the conservative, patriarchal nature of the society ran.

“I'm not at liberty to say.” The male didn’t offer any other explanation as he led Merrick through another corridor. Down here the halls were no longer stone, but appeared to be lined with some sort of metal. There were monitors and scanners in various locations. Merrick surmised this must be an escape route to an emergency bunker somewhere. It didn’t take them long before they were past another door and ascending a staircase. This one led to a small circular foyer. There were metal hatches at regular intervals around the room, with a guard standing in front of each. “Good morning, Senator.” The guard they approached saluted before placing his hand on the scanner. The door slid up with a whir of gears.

Although this building appeared to be as ancient as the Maser’s fortress, it was brimming with technology.

“Are all buildings this well protected?” Merrick didn’t remember seeing very many guards in the Maser's building.

“Maser Luda prefers his palace and residence to be less… obvious, but yes, there are extensive security protocols in every public building on the planet. The buildings which are open to off planet visitors are, of course, monitored more vigorously.” The man stopped at a door at the end of the hall, pressing his palm to the sensor.

“Is that for the visitors’ protection, or yours?”

The male turned with a slight smirk on his face, but didn’t answer the question. He tapped on the screen in front of him. “Please place your hand here.” He stepped back, giving Merrick some room. Merrick waited for the light to change colour before stepping away again. “This door is now programmed to open for you. Your associates have also been scanned so you can all access the suite. Every door in the public buildings can be opened by the Maser and his head of security, but the main door to this wing can only be opened by them and the guard assigned to the hall. Each area is specifically designed for different species. This and another wing is for vampires, humans and Heltarians. There’s also a designated area for water creatures, but your Anphilian requested he remain with your party.”

Merrick was impressed. For a species that wasn’t known to associate outside of their own planet, they took a lot of care to cater to their visitors’ needs. His shock must have been evident on his face because the senator chuckled.

“It’s not so unusual.” He opened the door and gestured for Merrick to enter ahead of him. The door opened to a large suite that resembled a hotel room he might find on Earth, except there were no windows. “Maser Luda is trying to foster a more accepting attitude towards other species, and wants to ensure our visitors are comfortable.”

Kalen stood behind Landin, leaning in close to the monitor on the desk in front of him. He looked up when the door opened, acknowledging both men. “Commander, Landin has found something in the planetary scans you might want to see.”

“Sergeant Kalen Varallo, Officer Landin Maltoran this is Senator Elsan.”

Kalen greeted the Senator while Landin stood, bowing to both men. “Commander. Senator”

“What have you found?” Merrick walked around the desk to get a better look at the screen.

“I think I found the transport used to bring the flauros to the planet.” Merrick could hear the excitement in the other man’s voice. “The initial review of the scans didn’t show anything unusual.” Landin tapped a few keys, and a long range vid feed appeared on the screen. After a few seconds an interstellar cargo ship appeared on screen and made a slow progression through the shot until it passed the far side of the planet and out of view.

“Okay?” Merrick looked at his young officer, not sure what he was supposed to be looking for.

“Watch again.” The young male tapped a few keys again and the shot repeated itself, except at a closer range. Merrick watched as the ship passed by again. Its call numbers appeared blurred, but could be enhanced if needed. As he studied the screen movement to the lower right of the monitor caught his attention. “Did you see it?” Landin asked, clearly excited.

“What was that?” The senator leaned closer. The Anphilian backed up the feed again before slowing the playback down further. This time Merrick saw several projectiles leave vicinity of the ship. Without being asked Landin repeated the feed, pausing when the objects came into view.

The senator made a noise that sounded like a grunt. “Why,” he said turning his head to stare at Merrick, “would an Ultec freighter eject anything in that sector?”

“You know this ship?” Merrick looked from the screen to the Alecteran.

“Yes.” The male stood and started pacing behind the desk. “Those trade contracts Maser Luda referred to… the main contracts are with the Ultecs.” He stopped and turned back to Landin. “When was this scan taken?” Landin gave him the date. “So the day before the Anglian ship landed on Alect-3?” The young guard nodded. The tall male started pacing again. Talking as he walked. “Could you send me that scan? I need to speak with Maser Luda about this.”

“Were those containers large enough to carry the flauros to the planet?” Merrick’s mind was whirling. If they found the ship that brought the creatures, they might be able to find and question the captain.

“Yes.” Landin swivelled his chair so he could look up at his commander. “There were four capsules ejected. Each one, according to the readings, would have been large enough to carry two flauros each.”

“How were the remnants not found on the planet?” Kalen finally spoke. Merrick could tell from the tone of his voice that he was deep in thought. “The commander’s group should have found something.”

“I believe they were made of ice.” All three males turned to the young man.

“Ice?” The Senator sounded skeptical.

“Ice.” Landin repeated. “Frozen kryelec gel to be exact.” He turned back to his console and started typing. On the screen a smooth windowless pod appeared, Landin used the touch screen and turned the view so they could see all of the angles. “This is a new technology the Terezinians have been developing. They figured out a way to embed electrodes into living tissue so that the object being transported acts as the pod’s power source. The frozen gel is highly responsive to the signals. These containers were conceived as a way to transport elite troops onto a planet without detection. Since they don’t contain electrical equipment, their size makes them virtually undetectable by planetary sensors. The occupants are placed into artificial sleep and the delivery is controlled remotely. Once it lands it’s supposed to crack open, waking the occupant. Since the electrodes are carried in the body and not in the shell, any evidence of its existence just melts away. Unfortunately, it’s highly unpredictable and still requires significant work to ensure reliability, but tests using larger animals have been promising.”

“Shit,” Kalen swore, sitting heavily in a chair across from the desk. “That would explain how they got the damned things to the planet, but how did the Ultecs get a hold of that technology?”

“The Terezinians?” Merrick could hear the strain in his own voice, and took a steadying breath. Three sets of eyes turned to him. “I can’t really explain, but I’ve heard of Terezin. I need to speak to Jenson… Envoy Shey before I say more. Landin, send me the video and then find out the name of the captain of that ship. Kalen, get it touch with the Earth Council. I need an investigative team to question the captain and crew of the ship, and the Anglian envoys are all on assignment elsewhere. Someone hired that ship. I want to know who! Senator, when can I meet with the Counseury?”

The man thought for a moment. “I can arrange an audience tomorrow morning. If you wish to have individual interviews, we’ll need to arrange those through their personal aides.” After Landin assured him the scan had been sent, the Alecteran left to speak with his leader.

“Where are bedrooms?” Merrick asked, grabbing his comm pad on the corner of the desk. He didn’t trust this conversation to any device that wasn’t encrypted and secured. He assumed Kalen and Landin would have swept the room for surveillance as soon as they arrived. Kalen pointed to the other side of the room.

“Landin and I are on the right. Your things are in the room on the left.”

The room Merrick was assigned was large, with a huge bed against one wall. There was a stone fireplace with two comfortable looking chairs on the right and a door that he assumed led to the bathroom on the left. Merrick shut the door and sat in one of the chairs. He requested a video conference with Jenson and waited impatiently until the vampire answered. He looked at the time and hoped he wasn’t still asleep. It would be pretty early on the ship.

“Merrick.” Jenson’s worried face appeared on the screen. “What’s wrong?”

Merrick couldn’t help it… he laughed. “Why would you assume something is wrong?”

“Call it intuition. Now what’s going on?”

“We think we figured out who brought the flauros to Alect-3.” Merrick saw the vampire’s expression harden.

“Who?”

“I don’t know who was involved on Alectera, but it looks like an Ultec ship delivered them to the planet the day before we arrived. I’m sending you a video feed. It shows pods being ejected from the ship when it passes close to the planet.” He waited for a few minutes while Jenson watched the video.

“Ok.” He focused again on Merrick. “We know which ship delivered the creatures. Do you have any information on the captain?”

“Landin’s on it now.” Merrick took a deep breath. “That’s not all.” He paused for a moment, not sure exactly how to proceed. “The pods that delivered the flauros to the planet? They’re Terezinian technology.” Even through the vid screen he could see the vampire go pale.

“Are you certain?” Jenson’s voice was barely a whisper.

“Landin is. He said the invention is new, and still in the development stage.”

“Is it possible that someone could have stolen them?” Merrick could almost hear the hope in the vampire’s voice.

“Anything is possible, J, but that many?” Merrick went on to explain how electrical sensors needed to be implanted into the bodies of the ‘cargo.’ “How would anyone who wasn’t involved in the development know how to properly implant the sensors or use them to control the pods?”

Jenson nodded, but didn’t speak. “We need to have the flauros carcasses autopsied to see if they were implanted,” he said finally. His voice sounded stronger.

“Jenson….” Merrick hesitated. “Is it possible that Kel’s father or his family had anything to do with this?”

“Jorrah Varro?” Jenson sighed and scrubbed his palm over his face. “It’s possible. Terezinians have a longer life span than humans, so he’s still alive. The last I heard, he was working for the Terezin Trade Alliance.”

“Would he hate you enough to be involved with this... because of Kel?” Merrick hated causing Jenson pain by bringing up his ex-lover, but he knew it was a valid question.

“Maybe….” Jenson sounded exhausted and his colour hadn’t returned to normal. “But why? He left after Kel was hurt, and never returned. He’s never even asked for an update on his son. Why would he do this now?”

Merrick contemplated what Jenson told him. “Kel died shortly before the mission. Maybe he wanted to punish you now that his son was gone?”

Jenson’s eyes glistened with unshed tears and anguish was written on his face. “Shit.” The whisper was pained. “How would he have known? The planning this would have taken….”

“Someone must have been giving him information,” Merrick surmised. “This may have been in the works for years. Maser Luda said his father started negotiations for Alect-3. I assume your father was involved in the talks from the beginning. I know you’ve been to Alectera before, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume you’d be the envoy sent on the terraforming mission.” Merrick ran a hand over his head and sighed. “Hell, maybe he wanted to hurt you no matter what happened with Kel.”

Jenson’s eyes looked distant for a moment, as though he were lost in his memories. “We need to find out for sure.” He sounded resigned, but determined. “Find the captain of the ship. He’d know who hired them to make the delivery. There are a few things I want to check on my end as well.”

“Kalen is requesting the Earth Alliance Council send an investigation team to Ultec. By the time they reach the system, we should have the captain’s name.” Jenson nodded in agreement. “I’ll be meeting with the Counseury tomorrow. I want to set up individual interviews… meet with these guys one on one. Someone in the Counseury is involved. I’m certain of it. Maser Luda thinks someone is trying to overthrow him, and he’s hoping my presence will rattle his enemies enough that they’ll make a mistake.”

Jenson made a noise that sounded like a growl. “I knew it was suspicious for him to invite us to participate in the investigation. Let me know how the interviews go, and keep me updated on the rest of the investigation. We’re going to be in orbit around Alectera shortly. I’m tempted to come down there myself.”

“Don’t you dare.” Worry and irritation bubbled inside of the younger man. “Stay put and let yourself heal. I need you rested and alert. You’re my second set of eyes, J.”

The vampire sighed, and the corner of his mouth lifted in a crooked smile. “Yes, dear.”

Merrick laughed, and the tightness in his chest eased. “I promise to copy you on everything we discover. Now rest. I’ll talk to you again soon. I love you, Jenson.”

The vampire’s crooked grin morphed into a wide smile before he turned serious again. “Don’t trust anyone there, Merrick. I love you too.”

p>Thank you to my awesome editor, Gary who is incredibly patient with my comma affliction/aversion. ;)   :hug:   Thank you to all of you who read and support the story. 

If you have any questions or comments, please drop by the Crave forum

Copyright © 2016 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kel's father? That's a pretty convoluted way to get revenge, however you can never tell what folks will do, especially when they are grieving. Interesting idea. Hopefully M and his boys can figure this out. Not sure J is in the right place yet to help them. That would be rough to deal with.
Look forward to more.
tim

Link to comment

The plot thickens! Could this go back years and years in the making? If so, the plan almost worked. Could still work, if M is hurt or worse...

Link to comment

Brilliant, how you are setting up more intrigue, and tying the story together... who knows what's to come, but you have certainly aroused my curiosity. If Kel's father is behind this, then Jenson's emotions will likely take a beating, especially is Merrick is in danger... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Excellent. You've added an additional layer of complexity to the plot. This story is getting better by the chapter.

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 04:11 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Kel's father? That's a pretty convoluted way to get revenge, however you can never tell what folks will do, especially when they are grieving. Interesting idea. Hopefully M and his boys can figure this out. Not sure J is in the right place yet to help them. That would be rough to deal with.

Look forward to more.

tim

It is pretty convoluted, but you're right, grief and anger can make people to some crazy things. J isn't able to help them like he would like to and that will be rough for him.

Thank you for review and your support, tim. I appreciate it. :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 05:22 AM, Puppilull said:

The plot thickens! Could this go back years and years in the making? If so, the plan almost worked. Could still work, if M is hurt or worse...

More details will start to come out. We'll have to see how this all affects J or M.

 

Thank you for reviewing and your support. I appreciate it. :)

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 08:29 AM, Headstall said:

Brilliant, how you are setting up more intrigue, and tying the story together... who knows what's to come, but you have certainly aroused my curiosity. If Kel's father is behind this, then Jenson's emotions will likely take a beating, especially is Merrick is in danger... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Jenson's emotions are already pretty raw where Kel is concerned, so doubtless this will cause him more anxiety, especially while M is too far away for J to help him. Thank you for your unwavering support of the story... and me. :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 01:21 PM, drpaladin said:

Excellent. You've added an additional layer of complexity to the plot. This story is getting better by the chapter.

Thank you :*) I'm really happy that you're enjoying the story. When I started this, I didn't expect the plot to head in the direction it has, but the story just kind of took me here. The fact that other people are enjoying the ride makes is a wonderful compliment. Thank you for your review and your support Dr.P. I appreciate it. :)

Link to comment

Okay, So wow! Questions answered but now Kel's father? How long has he been planning this.. I imagine that Jenson realises Merrick is in a lot of danger. How to deal with it all, especially as Jenson is not in a place to help. Maybe he knows things that can help.. Ohh.. A deepening plot, you have my attention Lit..
Excellent chapter... Well done.

Link to comment

So much drama, I love it! :D It was such a "Dun, Dun, DUN!!!" moment when Merrick brought up Kel's father as a suspect.
While I can see why Kel's father could carry out a revenge against J, I do wonder why he's doing so after all this time. Then again, his species live far longer than humans, so a century or two isn't a long time to them.

 

I am so excited, not only for this chapter but also the speculation I'm seeing in these reviews! :D I can't wait to see where the next chapter takes us.

 

Thank you Lit for another fantastic chapter :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/20/2016 05:25 AM, Defiance19 said:

Okay, So wow! Questions answered but now Kel's father? How long has he been planning this.. I imagine that Jenson realises Merrick is in a lot of danger. How to deal with it all, especially as Jenson is not in a place to help. Maybe he knows things that can help.. Ohh.. A deepening plot, you have my attention Lit..

Excellent chapter... Well done.

More details will start to come out, but M does need to be careful. I'm very happy to have your attention. :)

Thank you for your review and all of your support, Def. I appreciate it. :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/20/2016 07:46 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

So much drama, I love it! :D It was such a "Dun, Dun, DUN!!!" moment when Merrick brought up Kel's father as a suspect.

While I can see why Kel's father could carry out a revenge against J, I do wonder why he's doing so after all this time. Then again, his species live far longer than humans, so a century or two isn't a long time to them.

 

I am so excited, not only for this chapter but also the speculation I'm seeing in these reviews! :D I can't wait to see where the next chapter takes us.

 

Thank you Lit for another fantastic chapter :hug:

Stay tuned for more details, Drew :) I love your excitement. Thank you for another great review :hug:

Link to comment

Long lived species have long term plans... Revenge by hurting J via M, now the danger level has just gone through the roof. M better be very careful

Link to comment
On 02/26/2016 03:31 AM, Bucket1 said:

Long lived species have long term plans... Revenge by hurting J via M, now the danger level has just gone through the roof. M better be very careful

I hope he's careful too. You don't want to hear the cussing J does in my head ;)

 

Thank you for the review and all of your support, B. :hug:

Link to comment

The concept of ice pods was brilliant, and a water living species would probably be aware of such technology sooner than landlubbers, lol. Did I get the hint right of Merrick's co-workers being together?
Kel's father being involved was a nasty surprise, did we know their species is as long-lived as vampires? I thought Kel's extended life span was an effect of him sharing blood with Jenson, but apparently not. Now I'm back to speculating about Merrick, but I seem to remember he would gain vampire-like longevity if blood-bonded with Jenson. :unsure:

Link to comment
On 03/06/2016 07:20 PM, Timothy M. said:

The concept of ice pods was brilliant, and a water living species would probably be aware of such technology sooner than landlubbers, lol. Did I get the hint right of Merrick's co-workers being together?

Kel's father being involved was a nasty surprise, did we know their species is as long-lived as vampires? I thought Kel's extended life span was an effect of him sharing blood with Jenson, but apparently not. Now I'm back to speculating about Merrick, but I seem to remember he would gain vampire-like longevity if blood-bonded with Jenson. :unsure:

Actually Kalen is straight. Landin was being pursued by the head of security of the Earth Council's Chip (Commander Tei Barnaby). I can see why you thought that though.

 

Kel's species do have a longer lifespan than humans, but nowhere near as long as vampires. Kel's father would be very old for their species. There will be a little more about that in later chapters :)

Thank you for the review and the support, Tim. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..