Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,354 Words
  • 4,601 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crave - 26. Chapter 26

Chapter 26

 

The flight to Alectera felt like the longest Jenson had ever taken. Every minute he was on the shuttle was a minute he wasn’t with Merrick. He needed to see for himself that Merrick was alive. Audra was upset when she was told about the shooting. She’d tried to insist on coming with him, but Jenson refused. There was no point in inciting the Alecterans further with the presence of a strong-willed female. The trip was going to be stressful enough without worrying if his sister would be arrested when someone inevitably said something to make her angry. She wasn’t happy with his decision, but she reluctantly agreed.

The Maser’s personal shuttle was waiting for him at the landing bay. With a cursory greeting to the guards, he hurried into the vehicle, barely aware of the harness strapping him in. The flight to the fortress was a blur of worry. On arrival he was greeted by an aide who escorted him to the throne room. He wanted to see Merrick… NOW, but he bit back a growl of impatience. Planetary customs weren’t going to be changed just for him.

Jenson thanked the young male and entered the room. The Maser stood near the head of the conference table, staring at the portraits of the current counseury. Beside his own likeness, Senator Elson’s image stared outward. Jenson cleared his throat, not sure if the male registered his presence.

“Envoy Shey….” The leader didn’t turn. “I wanted to speak to you before you were taken to Commander Weir.”

“How is Merrick?”

“He’s stable, but still unconscious.” The Maser finally turned to look at him. “The doctors believe he’ll awaken in a few hours.”

Jenson felt some of his tension ease. “What did you wish to discuss?”

Luda gestured for him to sit. “I wanted to talk to you about the incident with Commander Weir. His injuries were… unusual.”

“Unusual?” Jenson felt his anxiety peaking again. “Unusual how?”

“My medical examiner tells me, based on the blood pooling and the state of the body, my guard was likely shot first. Although he was hit with a pulse strong enough to kill almost instantly, Commander Weir’s injury was caused by a non-fatal, elecro-pulse. The wounds appear to have come from the same model weapon.”

“So, whoever shot them may have taken the time to reset their pistol to a lower setting?” Jenson knew he sounded as confused as he felt. “Why would someone do that?”

“It would appear that way, yes.” The leader sounded tired. “It wouldn’t take much time to reset. The power control just needs to be lowered, but I had the same thought… Why would someone do it?”

“Could it be a trap?” Jenson asked, his mind racing with possibilities. “It’s been brought to light that someone from my past is involved in the plot to bring the flauros to Alect-3. I could be the target.”

“That’s a possibility,” the Alecteran agreed, nodding. “I’m assigning guards to you, Sergeant Varallo, and Officer Moltaran for the duration of your stay, for your safety. Two have also been posted at Commander Weir’s door.”

Jenson was grateful for the extra security precautions. “Thank you.” The vampire stood. “We should discuss this more later. I’d like to see Merrick now.”

“Of course.” The Maser touched a glass panel embedded into the table. Seconds later, two guards stepped into the room. “Please take Envoy Shey to the medical wing.”

The males bowed to their leader, and, with one in front and the other behind, they led Jenson outside. The area around the fortress was empty of civilian traffic, and there were more guards patrolling the surrounding buildings than the vampire remembered seeing during his last visit. He assumed security had been increased after Senator Elsan’s disappearance. If the man was a part of the plot, he would have access to some very sensitive information, including entry to all of the government buildings on the planet. Elsan would be a formidable ally for the Maser’s enemies.

The medical building was for the use of government officials and their families, and was swarming with armed security. Jenson was led through several locked doors before his escort stopped to speak with a male sitting behind a see-through partition. After a quick, whispered conversation, the male pointed to a door across the hall. He typed on a keypad, and the door swung open.

As soon as Jenson crossed the threshold, his eyes found Merrick. The younger man was comatose and pale, but otherwise looked unharmed. As if drawn by a magnet, his feet propelled him to the side of Merrick’s bed. He took a pale hand in his, and reached up to stroke his fingers along the stubbled jaw. Seeing his love alive and breathing helped to settle his nagging unease.

“He doesn’t even look injured,” the vampire whispered quietly to himself.

“The doctor said he had a bad phaser burn to his chest, but they were able to heal that quickly.” Jenson was surprised to hear a voice close beside him. He turned his head and noticed Merrick’s second in command, Kalen, standing there. He then saw that the Anphilian, Landin, sat in a chair on the other side of the bed. They both looked haggard, as if they hadn’t slept in days. Being so focused on the man in the bed, Jenson hadn’t even registered their presence when he entered the room.

“How long has he been out?” Jenson didn’t relinquish the hand he held, but turned his attention more fully on the two officers.

“According to Luda, Merrick left the Maser’s residence several hours before he was found. That was over four hours ago.”

“Are we secure here?” Jenson asked, glancing at the guards standing by the door.

“I swept the area for listening devices when we arrived,” Kalen answered with a nod. “The room isn’t one hundred percent secure, because of all of the medical equipment, but I didn’t find anything unusual.”

Jenson felt marginally better, and silently thanked Merrick for having such a well-trained team. “Why was he in the Maser’s residence?” He pitched his voice low to prevent the guards from hearing their conversation.

“We’re not sure.” Landin followed the vampire’s lead and spoke quietly. “But a shuttle crashed on the grounds and everyone was being evacuated. Senator Elsan stopped us before we left the building and asked the Commander to follow him. We were never told why.”

“Merrick was escorted back to the fortress by one of the Maser’s guards, and was found in the office we’d been using for the interrogations,” Kalen added. “Maybe this had something to do with whatever happened after Merrick left us?”

Jenson made a mental note to find out why Merrick was taken to the Maser’s home. It was unusual enough to be noteworthy. “And the guard was found dead in the room with him?”

Both males nodded. “Apparently,” Landin responded.

“Why would anyone kill the guard, and then turn down the phaser before shooting Merrick?” Jenson contemplated out loud. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely grateful Merrick’s alive, but why is he?”

“We wondered the same thing.” Kalen crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the side of the bed. “There had to be a reason. Otherwise, why risk leaving a witness?”

The three men discussed possibilities while Jenson continued to touch Merrick… running his fingers over his shorn blonde hair and rubbing circles over the back of a pale hand with his thumb. The vampire didn’t want to break contact.

Jenson filled them in on Jorrah Varro’s impending incarceration and deportation, and his intention to move Merrick as soon as the younger man was well enough to travel. “I’m going to bring Merrick to the ship, but I plan on coming back. Whoever did this to him needs to be found.” In his periphery he saw both men nod.

“With your permission, sir, I’d like to stay here with you.” Sergeant Verallo’s voice was quiet but determined. “We’re close to an answer, and I want to ensure whoever did this is brought to justice.”

Landin nodded vigorously. “I request permission to stay as well.”

Jenson smiled at both men. “I would appreciate that. The information you’ve gathered so far will be very useful.” The vampire paused for a moment before lowering his voice even more. “The Maser told me Senator Elsan is missing. Was there anything in your investigation pointing to him as a possible suspect?”

“No,” Landin responded just as quietly. “In fact, he wasn’t even on Alectera when the suspicious transmission was made. He’d been on Kophtal for several weeks conducting trade talks, and didn’t return until the day your party arrived. The logs indicate he joined the welcome committee while they were in orbit over Alect-3.”

Jenson’s brow furrowed. “He still could have been involved in a coup, even if he wasn’t here.” He continued to whisper, not wanting the guards to overhear. They were, after all, discussing the potential treason of a high-ranking government official.

“It’s possible,” Kalen answered. “But why bother to make transmissions from Alectera to Ultec, and then try to cover it up? If Elsan was involved, he could have made contact from Kophtal with very little chance of detection.”

“There were recent transmissions to Ultec?”

Landin nodded, leaning forward in his seat. “Contact was made the day the flauros were dropped on the planet. There was an attempt made to overwrite the codes to implicate someone else, but it was a shoddy job.”

“Could the Senator have made it look like a cover-up to point you in another direction?”

“Anything is possible.” Kalen shrugged. “But again… why would he bother? It’s an awful lot of work to make it look like a decoy, even if he has accomplices. He also knew we would be given access to the communications grid, and had the time to properly cover his tracks.”

“Who actually sent the communiqué?” Jenson was beginning to wonder if the Senator was involved at all.

“Counseur Keeghan.”

The vampire was surprised. Keeghan had seemed pretty friendly the last time he’d been on the planet. “Have you questioned him?”

“No,” Kalen answered, pulling out his comm pad. “We didn’t get the chance. He was scheduled to meet with us right after the noon meal. Landin did some digging after we were evacuated. It looks like one of Keeghan’s territories borders on Counseur Rossud’s. Apparently, there was a dispute between the two families over who owned a stelite mine. Things started small, with verbal barbs, but eventually the fight became bloody, and several males were injured. Luda’s father ordered both families to submit their claims to him for arbitration, and ended up ruling in favour of the Rossud’s. The report says Keeghan’s older brother was killed when part of the mine caved in during a skirmish shortly before the ruling.” The human looked up at the vampire. “Loyalties have been fractured for less.”

Landin cleared his throat, drawing both men’s attention back to him. “The Keeghan family has also been extremely vocal against expansion and opening the planet’s borders. One of the uncles was implicated in a shuttle accident that killed a visiting dignitary several years ago, although he was never convicted.”

“We need to bring Keeghan in.” Jenson fought his desire to go out and find the male himself. “Have you told any of this to Maser Luda?”

“No,” Kalen said with a sigh. “We were too concerned about the Commander at the time.”

Jenson hailed one of the guards. “Could you ask Maser Luda if he has time to see me? It’s very important.” The male nodded briskly before leaving the room. “You both know more about the investigation than I do. I’d like one of you to come with me.”

“Landin should go,” Kalen answered for both of them. “He’s the one who discovered the attempted cover-up. I can wait here and… keep an eye on things.”

Jenson agreed. “Thank you.” He pitched his voice to a hushed whisper again. “I feel more comfortable knowing Merrick won’t be alone.”

Less than an hour later, Jenson and Landin were standing in the throne room with the Alecteran leader.

“So you’re saying Aehvan might not have been involved in any of this?” The male looked hopeful as he stared at Jenson.

“Yes, Sir.” The Anphilian cleared his throat, obviously nervous.

“Then where is he?” The Maser growled and spun away, gazing up at the Senator’s portrait. His hands were clenched into fists at his sides.

“We’re not certain, but….” Jenson looked up at the portrait wall. “Officer Maltoran’s research implicates Counsuer Keeghan as a suspect in the investigation.”

“What?” The leader turned back. His eyes appeared cold and angry. “Keeghan might be involved in this? That ungrateful….” He stopped to take a deep breath, visibly calming himself. “What have you discovered?”

Jenson nodded subtly at Landin, encouraging the young officer to divulge what he’d uncovered. As the young male spoke, Luda’s posture stiffened. Jenson could almost feel the rage rolling off of him, like pulses of energy.

“He needs to be brought in for questioning.” The Maser touched the monitor set into the table. Seconds later a guard stepped inside. “I want Counseur Keeghan detained and brought in immediately.” The male bowed and left quickly.

“I’d like to be there when he’s questioned.” Jenson knew being near the male likely responsible for Merrick’s shooting was going to be a test of his self-control, but he had some questions of his own.

“Of course, I….” A chime sounded from the Alecteran’s communicator, which was clipped to his robes. He held up his hand, silently requesting a moment. “I thought I said I was not to be disturbed?” he spoke into the device, obviously irritated.

“I’m very sorry to bother you, Maser Luda,” a contrite voice answered. “But you asked to be contacted immediately if there was a change in Commander Weir’s condition.”

Jenson felt his chest constrict with worry.

“Yes, of course,” the leader said, meeting Jenson’s gaze. “How is he?”

“He’s waking up, Sir.”

Thank you, Gary, for being an amazing editor and friend.  :glomp:  Thank you to all of you who read and support the story.  
Copyright © 2016 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ouch, another cliffhanger! Guess I'll try to forget I read this chapter so that I can read it again next week before being able to move to the following chapter! :P

Link to comment

Oh! Another twist! And Merrick could perhaps provide more information upon waking up. Maybe he'll get a kiss too...

Link to comment

This chapter - Too short, way too short, what happens now? Give me directions and I'll go there myself.

 

I am concerned that J didn't see the others in the room as he walked in. These are dangerous times. And what has happened to the Senator? Does anyone on that planet get along? So many feuds! So much intrigue!! So many questions!!!

 

Stop work, stop everything, I need to read the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 03/17/2016 11:26 PM, hillj69 said:

Ouch, another cliffhanger! Guess I'll try to forget I read this chapter so that I can read it again next week before being able to move to the following chapter! :P

It's only a little cliffhanger... and it's a good one, right? Merrick is waking up :)

 

Thanks for the review and following the story.

Link to comment
On 03/17/2016 11:26 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh! Another twist! And Merrick could perhaps provide more information upon waking up. Maybe he'll get a kiss too...

Oh I have no doubt he'll get a kiss. lol

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Puppi :)

Link to comment
On 03/17/2016 11:31 PM, Bucket1 said:

This chapter - Too short, way too short, what happens now? Give me directions and I'll go there myself.

 

I am concerned that J didn't see the others in the room as he walked in. These are dangerous times. And what has happened to the Senator? Does anyone on that planet get along? So many feuds! So much intrigue!! So many questions!!!

 

Stop work, stop everything, I need to read the next chapter.

Unfortunately, with the current innovations in space travel, by the time you got there it would all be over anyways. ;)

 

Jenson was pretty tunnel visioned, but I think it might be better now that he's seen for himself that Merrick is alive and well. Intrigue and back-stabbing do seem to happen a lot in politics don't they?

 

Working hard on Chapter 27 now. The rough draft is done. I just have to look it over a few times before getting it to my fabulous editor.

 

Thank you for your review and your support, B. :hug:

Link to comment

The plot thickens. I always wanted to say that :P . Terrific chapter with great flow and pace. I wonder what the senator is up to? I get the feeling him and the maser are much more than friends. You are adding cred to your title of 'cliffie queen' but I am loving the story. And Merrick is waking up... Yay! Looking forward to the next, my friend... well done... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Nice... short but nice. J's not seeing anyone or anything speaks volumes about where his head is at. Lots of intrigue... more waiting.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You know how to keep us in suspense. This chapter leaves us with more puzzles. I had surmised that the guard died due to the head shot, but now Merrick's survival was deliberate. If Jorrah was involved, a dead Merrick would mean more pain for Jenson and would still have brought him to the planet. It would have made J more reckless and less concerned for his safety. The thing on our minds now is what does Merrick know? Is the Senator a perpetrator or a hostage? Thursday is so far away.

Link to comment

Every time you turn a corner something else is waiting.. I know Merrick waking up takes precedence over everything, but it was just about to get good.. But yeah, I'm itching for that reunion any way I can get it..
So what does Merrick know? How much will he be able to tell Jenson before something else happens? Is the Senator's hand being forced? Was the plan to get Jenson on the planet? I know you're just hoping to slap me with the :X ..

 

Great job Lit!

Link to comment
On 03/18/2016 04:55 AM, Headstall said:

The plot thickens. I always wanted to say that :P . Terrific chapter with great flow and pace. I wonder what the senator is up to? I get the feeling him and the maser are much more than friends. You are adding cred to your title of 'cliffie queen' but I am loving the story. And Merrick is waking up... Yay! Looking forward to the next, my friend... well done... cheers... Gary....

lol I didn't actually intend that to be a cliffie. I thought everyone would be happy to know that Merrick was waking up. :P There are a lot of questions to be answered and Merrick may have answers to some of them.

 

Thank you for your review and your unwavering support, Gary :hug: I appreciate all of the time you spend helping me.

Link to comment
On 03/18/2016 07:49 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice... short but nice. J's not seeing anyone or anything speaks volumes about where his head is at. Lots of intrigue... more waiting.

J was a little tunnel visioned, but I think it was understandable. There is more waiting, but not for too long :)

 

Thank you for the review and your support, tim. :hug:

Link to comment
On 03/18/2016 11:02 AM, drpaladin said:

You know how to keep us in suspense. This chapter leaves us with more puzzles. I had surmised that the guard died due to the head shot, but now Merrick's survival was deliberate. If Jorrah was involved, a dead Merrick would mean more pain for Jenson and would still have brought him to the planet. It would have made J more reckless and less concerned for his safety. The thing on our minds now is what does Merrick know? Is the Senator a perpetrator or a hostage? Thursday is so far away.

You're right, if Merrick had been killed J probably would have lost his mind and his concern for his own safety in his desire to avenge his death. The Senator is a question that Merrick might be able to shed some light on.

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Dr.P :)

Link to comment
On 03/18/2016 12:30 PM, Defiance19 said:

Every time you turn a corner something else is waiting.. I know Merrick waking up takes precedence over everything, but it was just about to get good.. But yeah, I'm itching for that reunion any way I can get it..

So what does Merrick know? How much will he be able to tell Jenson before something else happens? Is the Senator's hand being forced? Was the plan to get Jenson on the planet? I know you're just hoping to slap me with the :X ..

 

Great job Lit!

Hahahaha the :X is kind of fun to use, I must admit :P I think everyone involved is waiting with bated breath to find out what Merrick knows.

 

Thank you for the review and your support, Def. :hug:

Link to comment

I'm still trying to work out how all this ties together, but I feel there are some imporant pieces of information missing. But perhaps with Merrick waking up, he and Jenson will be able to figure out the puzzle. I'm sure Merrick will refuse to go back to the ship, if he's able to function without too much effort and pain, and surely he'll be safe in their suite?

Link to comment
On 03/20/2016 02:06 AM, Timothy M. said:

I'm still trying to work out how all this ties together, but I feel there are some imporant pieces of information missing. But perhaps with Merrick waking up, he and Jenson will be able to figure out the puzzle. I'm sure Merrick will refuse to go back to the ship, if he's able to function without too much effort and pain, and surely he'll be safe in their suite?

There are some missing pieces, but some of those should be coming to light soon. I think Jenson is hoping Merrick has answers too.

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Tim :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yay! Merrick awoke!!! :D

 

I can totally see Jensen lecturing Merrick on being safe :gikkle: It's kinda interesting to see how these two have reversed roles: Jensen was attacked and Merrick was sick with worry, now Merrick was attacked and Jensen was sick with worry.
What I really enjoy about this story is how you give us enough clues to start working out the puzzle of this mystery, but leave out a few pieces. Of course, I won't take a guess on who else might be involved with Jarroh, but when the mystery is finally solved, I suspect I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

 

Thank you Lit for another awesome chapter! :hug:

Link to comment
On 03/20/2016 04:34 AM, JohnAR said:

Let's hope reunion is not only sweet ;-).

More twists and turns. I like it.

lol well the reunion is coming up, so we'll see how sweet it is. I'm glad you like the twists and turns.

Thank you for your review and your support, John :)

Link to comment
On 03/20/2016 04:39 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Yay! Merrick awoke!!! :D

 

I can totally see Jensen lecturing Merrick on being safe :gikkle: It's kinda interesting to see how these two have reversed roles: Jensen was attacked and Merrick was sick with worry, now Merrick was attacked and Jensen was sick with worry.

What I really enjoy about this story is how you give us enough clues to start working out the puzzle of this mystery, but leave out a few pieces. Of course, I won't take a guess on who else might be involved with Jarroh, but when the mystery is finally solved, I suspect I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

 

Thank you Lit for another awesome chapter! :hug:

Since there are only a few chapters left, I think you'll get your answers soon. :) And yes, I can hear Jenson lecturing Merrick too haha.

 

Thank you for your support and your review, Drew. :hug:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..