Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,364 Words
  • 1,011 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Even Stars Die - 16. Chapter 16

Alex confronts Keegs's mother about the accident...

Jean turned into Patrick's driveway and hooted. His dogs, a labrador and a scottish terrier dashed to the front, barking and yelping for attention. He met her halfway up the steps, and leaned in to hug her but she pulled away, flicking the loose hair off her eyes.

   

'What's up?' He said, leading her into the double storey house. She took his hand and led him to the balustrade lining the front patio.

   

'Something's bothering me. I don't know why, but to me, Alex...well, I don't know, Alex is just too good to be true.'

   

'Yup, he's quite the guy. I wouldn't mind his shoes under my bed at all. Keegan's very lucky to have him.'

   

She waved a finger. 'There's something not quite kosher about Alex. All I'm saying is I need to find out more about him.'

   

Patrick gazed into her eyes and shook his head, 'Don't. Its not your place. Besides, he makes Keegs happy.'

   

'I don't want to see Keegs hurt. He's so new to all of this and besides, it'll break me.'

   

Patrick cupped Jean's chin and whispered, 'Keegs and Alex need their space. Allow them that at least.'

   

'And what if I'm right? What if Alex is not who he says he is? If I don't do something I'll never be able to face Keegs again.'

   

'Right about what? They are two guys who love each other, that's all.'

   

'Something is not right. You're not a woman, you don't have that kind of intuition. I can sense it, smell it, feel it.'

   

'Okay, so something must have happened for you to think like this, spill.'

   

She turned to face the garden; summer in full swing, green shrubs, roses, conifers and bedding plants every colour of the rainbow. She breathed deep. 'I went by Alex's house this afternoon. And the car that was so damaged, was all fixed, like nothing had happened to it.'

   

Patrick shrugged, 'Maybe he has a good panelbeater?'

   

'You should have seen that car, Pat. It was a mess. There isn't a mechanic on this earth who can fix that kind of damage in a day.'

   

'Come on, Jean. What are telling me, that all this is some kind of hoax?'

   

'I don't know what it is. All I'm saying is something isn't adding up. I need your help.'

   

Patrick grimaced, he wasn't prepared for this, 'How can I possibly help?'

   

    * * *

   

Alex opened the gate and it fell off its hinges. A subtle curse later and he was at the front door, ringing the doorbell.

   

'Who is it?' Mrs Mansfield's voice came from beyond the door.

   

'Erm...it's Alex, Ma'am.'

   

The door swung open. Mrs. Mansfield glared at him with a cigarette in her mouth. He had last seen her a couple of days earlier and she looked hagged and old, now, the brown rings beneath her eyes seemed to have receded deeper, and the redness in her eyes had become almost purple.

   

'Yes, Alex. How can I help you...' She noticed the gate had broken and fallen to one side. 'The gate! What on earth did you do to my gate?'

   

'I...I pushed it and it fell off its hinges...sorry ma'am. I...I'll fix it I promise. I came to see how you and Mr. Mansfield are doing?'

   

'Well, that's very kind of you...we're just fine, considering that you have kept Keegs from coming home.'

   

'He'll be back on Sunday, ma'am.'

   

'I know that. He'll need a change of clothing and the only place he keeps his clothes is right here, in his home, where he belongs. Now what about the gate, young man?'

   

'I'll have it fixed tomorrow. Could I bother you at all for a glass of water?'

   

'Come inside then.' She mumbled as plumes of smoke escaped from her mouth.

   

'Is Mr. Mansfield home?'

   

'Works all day. Comes home drunk. It really pisses me off but that's the man I married and that's the man I'm going to bury someday. So tell me, what is it that you do?'

   

'I play lead guitarist in a band. I love my music. Live for it.'

   

'Yes, but can you make a living out of it?' She retreated to the kitchen and he heard the tap open and the gushing water.

   

'Well, we've cut our first CD and it didn't do too badly. Our next CD should top the charts.'

   

'Well, I wish you all the success. Where do you live?'

   

'Out north, townhouse complex. I live alone but find that necessary, we play at gigs until all hours of the morning, specially on weekends.'

   

'Here's your water. Now tell me about you and Keegan.'

   

'There's nothing much to tell except that we are best friends.'

   

'He knows how to choose his friends, let me tell you.'

   

'Are you disappointed?'

   

'Not at all. On the contrary, you are perhaps the only good friend he has. I'm happy that he has you as a friend. Do you think he'll win in Cape Town?'

   

'I know he will. He has the determination to do it.'

   

'Since the accident he forces himself to achieve and do better. All the time.'

   

'He never talks about the accident.'

   

'He doesn't remember much...' She lit another cigarrete. Alex coughed and waved away the smoke.

   

'I'm curious. You and Mr. Mansfield, both came out of it unscathed.'

   

'Well, I wouldn't put it quite like that. I had two broken ribs and Mr. Mansfield had whiplash for a couple of days.'

   

'Wow...that must have hurt, broken ribs, whiplash. How did it happen?'

   

'Mr. Mansfield swerved to avoid a buck crossing the road and we toppled over the mountain side. We were all flung out of the car, but Keegan was in its path and the car fell on his legs then rolled away.'

   

'You swerved to miss colliding with a buck? Tell me, Mrs. Mansfield, what happened to the people in the other car...'

   

Mrs. Mansfield's cigarette dropped out of her mouth. 'Other car? What other car? It was just us, you hear me...' Her voice deepened, her words accelerated, soon her words were a garble of nonsense. ' You hear me? How can you insinuate that there was another car. What car? You were there I dare say? You know so much and even the colour of my hair, the clothes I was wearing. If you know so damned much why don't you tell me about the other car? How dare you come into my home and make such insinuations....get out! Get out!'

   

'But I must return to fix the gate, remember?'

   

She picked up an ashtray and threw it at him, missing him by inches. 'Get out and don't ever come back!'

   

Alex politely greeted her and trudged to the front door.

   

'Don't come back, you hear me? Don't come back!'

Louis J Harris
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..