Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 2,066 Words
  • 1,147 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Even Stars Die - 19. Chapter 19

Patrick and jean come up with some interesting facts about Alex. Jean visits Keeg's mother...

The house seemed to be deserted. It stood stark, with facebrick lines, burglar bars, an electric fence, and a remote controlled front gate. He needed to get into the house, but he decided it would be too risky, the electric fence was a fine detterent. It would be impossible to negotiate the fence. He knew nothing about the technical details that governed electric fences and he wasn't about to find out by experience. Patrick waited in his car, parked two houses away. Watched, and waited and thought.

   

Sure, Alex was a strange person, but we have our quircks, our indiscretions. We make mistakes. Some more complex than others, but the degree of the mistake raises questions. Alex is good with Keegs. They look good together. Could it be thatJjean is jealous? Could it be that she is planning? A woman scorned. Alex doesn't make mistakes. He corrects them in others. Such is his ability. Nope. She can't be so deceitful as to spy on Alex. Snoop around. Gather dirt.

   

A light came on in the house. Then two, soon all the rooms were a golden glow.

   

But there was no human movement.

   

He could muster enough courage to press the buzzer at the gate, and what will he say? Times like these he wished he had been the captain of the debating class at college. Or he could wait until the front door opened. That could take hours and days. He was really no good at this detective thing. He grimaced slightly, reached forward to turn the ignition, then pulled away his hand as the door opened.

   

A man stepped onto the landing.

   

It wasn't Alex.

   

A woman followed, slightly stooped and snuggled up to the man.

   

They embraced and pointed at the moon. It was large and filled with a glowing white and just stood there, as though it had eyes, as though it watched and protected their embrace. He focused on the man; he looked older, perhaps in his late fifties. He couldn't tell the colour of his hair. The woman's hair was fair, almost blonde, but that's all he could see of her. After a few moments, they returned inside and closed the door.

 

** *

 

Jean stared at Mrs.Mansfield with a look of curious interest in what she had to say. She babbled on about how she had her suspicions that Keegs and Alex were having a romantic laiason, and she couldn't prove it.

   

'Oh, come now, Mrs. Mansfield, surely you don't think that Keegs and Alex are gay?' She had no idea what to say without fear of choking so she kept it tight and short.

   

'Have you heard anything?'

   

Oh, Mrs. Mansfield was clever.

   

Jean hesitated for a moment and knew that any answer she gave would not placate this woman. In any case, she thought, the answer to that should come from Keegs himself, and not an outsider.

   

She shrugged. Crinkled her nose, but maintained eye contact with Mrs. Mansfield, seated directly opposite her. 'I have only heard that he's not interested in any one right now. He's dedicated to athletics.'

   

Mrs. Mansfield finally blinked, 'Yes. So he is. And Alex Meyer. You do know that he was here yesterday?'

   

Jean glanced her way quickly, 'No. You never said.'

   

'Well, he was,' she exhaled a thick plume of smoke, 'And I kicked him out of my house.'

   

'Oh! Well, you must have had good reason.'

   

'How would you feel if a stranger came into your home and oh, broke the gate, which he fixed, then declared to know everything about us, including the accident that cost Keegs his legs? So I kicked him out.'

   

Jean sipped her coffee slowly and pretended to hear her as she spoke. The accident. Why would they speak of that? Suddenly she stood up and thanked Mrs. Mansfield for her hospitality.

   

'Wait. I have a question for you, Jean. Do you love my son?'

   

Jean continued walking slowly, thinking about what to tell her. How to tell her. She stopped at the gate, a flurry of excitement passed through her, 'A long time ago I thought so, yes. But time and fate have dealt us a card, Mrs. Mansfield. I still love him. but like a brother. He's my family. That's the reason I want to protect him from harm.'

   

'And do you think he is gay?'

   

Jean sighed, 'Mrs. Mansfield, Keegs is what he is. It doesn't matter what I think.'

   

Mrs. Mansfield smiled and threw an arm around her. 'You're a good girl, Jean. Any man will be happy with you.'

   

Jean was miles away in her mind. She wanted to be rid of this woman and get to the city library.

   

She had an accident to investigate.


 

    * * *

   

'You seem bewildered. Hey there's a party to attend remember.' Alex smacks my bum.

   

'Don't do parties.' I remind myself by telling him.

   

'I met you at one.'

   

'A fluke. Doesn't happen.'

   

'Wow, you really are sure of that aren't you?'

   

'Yup. All the way. No parties.'

   

'So what do you wanna do then?'

   

'Find a quiet beach and watch the water.'

   

'Safe place, water.'

   

'Maybe take a bottle of brandy with us.'

   

'Ooooh, a bottle of brandy now, wow! Okay, sounds like our own little celebration party.Sure you don't want me to get you a couple of rent numbers?'

   

I sense he's angry. I'm happy. Being with the man who led me out of the cold, being with someone who understands me, being with a person whom I love...did I say that? I mean what is love? It's the sharing of an emotion that is both binding and conditional. You say love should be unconditional? Hear me out. Love, just the word love, conjures conditions that are set by the rules of love, they are unseen mostly,but the moment there is love, a condition is already set. Love is the condition.

   

'Just us. Are you okay?'

   

'I'm fine.'

   

'You're just so...like abrupt. Something's wrong, spill.'

   

'You want to be alone with me and that's fine, i'm honoured. But there are commitments that come with being an athlete, you are suddenly number one contender for Greece, and hopefully London. Where do I fit into all of this?'

   

'I'll tell you...not now...later. I promise I'll tell you.'

   

Man oh man! Do I know what I am doing? Deserted beach? Bottle brandy? Alex?

   

    * * *

   

We find a place not far from the city, on the West Coast, where the ocean and beach encroach the main road. The dunes are golden and shells come in with each wash of wave. It's almost deserted, save for a group of three fishermen about 700 metres away from us. A dune hides us from view, and the ocean creeps against the shore. This is paradise. This is what fairytales are made of. Sun, sea and sand. The man of my dreams. The man who singlehandedly has shown me how to love again. Man, it's been so long. I turn to remove my shirt but he stops me and unbuttons it with ease, removes it from my shoulders, unbuckles my belt, and removes my trousers, leaving me standing half naked in a navy blue costume.

   

He pushes me away playfully, 'So, you planned this. Why, you conniving brat!' I almost fall onto the sand, but duck away from him as he makes aa second move on me. He dives into sand, but manages to get onto his feet to run after me, down towards the water.

   

He dives again, this time taking me down with him and we roll over in the sand just where the water reaches then returns to the ocean.

   

'I can't get my legs wet.' I laugh out loudly. "Damn!' A punch lands on my upper arm. 'Hey! That was spiteful.' I hit him back, harder. He laughs, grappling me in his arms and pulling me away from the water.

   

I remove his shirt, unbuckle the buttons of his trousers. To my amazement he's wearing a black costume.

   

'What's this?' I smile at him.

   

'I knew you wanted to go to the beach.'

   

'Well, you seem to know a lot more about me than I reckoned.'

   

'A flying guess, that's all. We're here, now. What is there not to enjoy about this.'

   

My cell phone rings.

   

'Let it ring...let it ring....' Alex whispers.

   

'It could be important.'

   

'Let it ring.'

   

He's touching my nipples. He's placing his palm gently over my chest and moving it down to the line of my costume. He's fingers are all over my body, gently lowers me to the sand, folds his arms around me and places his warm mouth over mine. I am at ease. Our tongues explore the vast wetness of our mouths. His tongue eats my chin, my cheeks, he kisses my eyes, takes my thumb in his mouth and sucks on it. Then buries his tongue into my mouth again. Stabbing, rubbing over my lips, fighting my tongue. His breathing is heavy against my cheeks, mine heavier. Our bodies rub against each other, hardness against hardness. His hand is cupping my manhood, bulged out, ready to make sweet love.

   

Suddenly I stop. He pulls back. I'm staring into his eyes, his eyes are focused on mine.

   

'I don't know how or what to say so I'm going to just say it. remember earlier today I said I'd tell you where you fit in. Well, this is it. I love you.From the moment I laid eyes on you I knew I loved you.'

   

His eyes smile back at me. 'Those were supposed to be my lines.'

   

Today Alex and I became one. I trust him with all my heart and although he hasn't told me he loves me, I know he does. We are drawn to each other like a magnet. Attraction.

   

The phone rings again. I grab it up and see it's a message from Jean.

   

CONTACT ME...

URGENTLY!!!!!!!!!

   

I vacilate between OMG and WTF. She's in trouble. Alex seems angered by the intrusion.

   

'She could have chosen a better time to phone,' he says, rolling away from me.

   

'Sorry, Alex. Just a second. Just a second.'

   

I dial her number. Wait. Alex puts his sunglasses on.

   

No answer, just a voice message asking callers to leave a message.

   

'Jean. It's me. Call me when you get this message. Cheers girl.'

   

Ten seconds later another message from Jean appears: IF YOU ARE WITH ALEX RIGHT NOW I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET AWAY FROM HIM. LIKE FAST.

Louis J Harris
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Shit, scary stuff. My heart is beating fast and I am so glad there is another chapter :)

 

WOnderful writing as usual. I have a bad feeling about what is going to happen next.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..