Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 622 Words
  • 1,071 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 23. Chapter 23

He wore only black clothes and promised to remove them when Peter Sheffield was found guilty of all charges. So he was relieved when Pretoria informed him by means of a subpoena, that the trial would take place on December 14th. Even as a witness he counted down the days to the trial, consumed by an intense feeling of fear. If this had happened instead of that perhaps things would have turned out different. Yes, he needed laughter. And Gordon succeeded very well in supplying it.

 

After the shift, Michael and Danie gathered their belongings and made for the rebuilt mortar and brick buildings some ten yards away, when a man on horseback approached them from the north. The brown horse halted and the stranger introduced himself as Gideon Bothes and wore a handkerchief around his neck and a large Stetson hat that shadowed his eyes.

 

“I have a message for you from a Mr. Peter Sheffield. He says you must visit him as quickly as possible…before the trial in two days from now. He has some interesting information for you that could influence the trial.” Then he turned and galloped away. Michael had an idea it was about his sexual preference, in which case he would not step down by dropping the charges.

 

 

Pretoria’s Central Prison was of brick and corrugated iron with a fence that ran around it. Michael felt as if he were in the middle of a no-man’s land where his life was not his own. He was ushered and pushed into the visitor’s cell by a constable and there he waited facing seven thick metal bars. Within moments a guard entered with Peter Sheffield limping beside him in shackles and arm chains.

 

“What is it that you must tell me?” Michael asked. The guard left the room and Peter poked his head against the metal bars.

 

“I know you are a British agent.”

 

Michael did not breathe for a few moments. This was not possible, he thought, he had not uttered a word to anyone, ever, about his association with British intelligence. The Boer government would hang him.

 

“You pass information to a man named “Father”. Your diary, its all in the diary, chapsy?”

 

But Michael would never admit to such a thing. “You will use any means to reprieve yourself. Use this information if you will, but the facts are missing. A court needs facts and you should know that well, Mr. Sheffield. On the other hand, I have witnesses who will verify that you are a lover of men. I am sure Kruger will be interested in your way of life, and all the proof they will need is me.”

 

“Michael Dun, you are a bastard! I saved your life remember?”

 

“Indeed, you shall never allow me to forget. And I gave you four years of my life, which you squandered on obsessiveness and infidelity. Check mate.”

 

“I will use this information in court, Michael. Nothing you say will force me to change my mind. It is made up.”

 

“I admire you for that. And I shall use my card, too. Where shall that put us?”

 

“In the sewer. John Mansfield was self-defense. I swear to you Michael, I did not kill the others. Believe me, please.”

 

“It is not up to me to believe you, Peter. You will have a judge and two assessor’s tomorrow morning, it is they whom you must convince. Good day. Old chap.” Michael knocked on the door and a guard took him away.

 

“Father” had to be notified that his cover had been blown. He will be furious.

L J Harris
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..