Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 481 Words
  • 1,097 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 13. Chapter 13

Peter gets a nasty surprise....

Peter Sheffield was finally alone.

 

The trek into Potchefstroom was long, hard, and miserable. In the quiet saloon beside the hotel, he sat down to drown his memories of the last few days. Top of the list was guilt, and he organised a neat alibi about his missing friends. He would say John and Gordon had gone their own way, to Barbeton. He would say that he did not want Barbeton gold, but Rand gold.

 

He would not say he had killed John Mansfield. Besides, it was self-defense. John had thrown the first punch and Peter thought his life was at stake. This was the dead-end bushveldt miles away from civilisation, the strong and quick survived in this wilderness. He buried the body, the most natural thing to do. A man died. He could have been the one if it were not for quick thinking.

 

The man seated beside him at the bar guessed that he was English. At first he sat with his back facing him, then he slowly turned. But Peter did not notice. He was somewhere between guilt and the fear of getting caught. If he had remained in England he could have been a barrister, or a member of the bar. Here he was, in Africa instead, a murderer.

 

But it was far too late to mourn the past. It was time to make a fresh start. He looked up and noticed an unshaven, lean looking man with a wide brimmed khaki hat staring at him. The man sat a little to the side, out of his direct view, staring intently at his subject. “You are English.” The man said. “English and of high office.”

 

“Who the devil are you?”

 

“Me. I am me.” The stranger remarked.

 

“Oh, come now. Be serious chapsy. I am Peter Sheffield.”

 

“You are drunk.” The stranger commented, then called the barman over.

 

“That I am. Now what did you say your name was chapsy?

 

“I did not say. I have not said. I will not say.”

 

“Well, you must have a home, then. Why, I am almost sure your family is missing you. Go on, toddle off now, chapsy.”

 

The man stared at him for a moment, then said, “I have gold.”

 

“What makes you so sure I am interested in your gold.”

 

“I shall show you, come with me.” The man stood up, shuffled through a door, and closed it behind him. Peter followed.

 

It happened so quickly, the man spun around, grabbed Peter’s neck and held him close to the ground. Suddenly there was a gun in his hand, pointing at Peter’s head, the thumb and index finger automatically went to work.

 

Peter waited to die. But when he opened his eyes, the man said; “Now you will listen to me…”

cld this be the start of a run of short chapters...I love them, you have to pack a punch into them...now I know why I love writing...it's like trying to capture order out of chaos...fun?...hehehe
L J Harris
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Waaay to short, my friend.

 

hehe, actually, that was awesome. I liked that we get a little into Peter's guilt here. :) But then the cliff-hanger there...

Link to comment
On 01/24/2011 05:32 AM, AnytaSunday said:
Waaay to short, my friend.

 

hehe, actually, that was awesome. I liked that we get a little into Peter's guilt here. :) But then the cliff-hanger there...

yup, I'd like to know who this guy is too. Coming soon I guess...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..