Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,519 Words
  • 1,542 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 4. Chapter 4

Michael leaves for London from where he will set sail to South Africa. He knows Charlie is somewhere waiting for him on the docks. Michael meets an old lover, Peter...

Journey

 

London’s fog lifted only after noon and then the rain came.

The mist rolled in and filled the Thames. Michael enjoyed the hustle and bustle of dock life, where everyone seemed to be doing something, including buying tickets to board the Anthony Gibbs and Son Liner, The Great Britain. A steam and sail ship with the sleekest of lines and a single funnel headed for Australia via the Cape of Good Hope. This would be her last voyage before renovations would demote her to purely a sail ship. On this, her swan-song voyage, she carried with her three million pounds in gold bullion and 550 passengers. The ship lurked in the background as Michael searched for Charlie.

After an hour, he walked down the quayside hoping to bump into him. The one place Michael did know was not far from where the ship was moored. The Royal Inn was not foreign to him. He had been there many times during his student days. The moment he walked inside, he noticed it had changed. It was quiet. He once remembered a laughing, jovial crowd. He ordered whiskey and water then took a seat in a quiet corner away from the others. Three or four couples sat at the bar and one drunk leaned his face into the palm of his hand and puked. Michael turned the other way.

He stood up to leave and was suddenly taken aback by a voice from the past. A sound that burst down on him like a balloon filled with water. A voice he knew - Peter Sheffield!

He wore knee length boots, a tweed suit and a cane between his fingers. He strolled up to Michael bearing a wide grin upon his face.

“Michael Dun? Chapsy,it is you! I heard you went home. A sudden move what with you and Sir Robert at war. So chapsy, whatever are you doing here?”

“Looking for someone. Long black hair. Have you seen him?”

“If I do, I shall certainly let him know you are looking for him. A special friend, then?”

“Yes.”

“I see, well I have two friends whom I have to meet here. We are about to set sail for the Cape of Good Hope.”

Michael grinned. He did not want to be around a man whom he once knew. If Peter knew Michael was about to board the same ship, Michael would surely suffer in the end.

Peter had come into Michael’s life at a time when Michael was most vulnerable and susceptible to temptations of the flesh. Now, out of the blue, the man reappears. What did he expect of Michael?

Michael regretted his time with Peter but he had made a choice based on decisions regarding his own well being. On the other hand, there was the chance that he and Charlie would bump into Peter and what would Peter say then? Michael decided to tell him.

“I shall probably see you on the boat. Fancy that.”

“Fancy that! I suppose you will tell me next of your desire to seek gold!”

“The Ridge of White Waters beckons.”

Peter Sheffield’s eyes were wide and gave away the surprise he felt. He should not have been surprised at all given Michael was a geologist, the practical experience would be beneficial.

“That old horse, Kruger, governs the Transvaal. I bought a fair packet of literature to expand my knowledge. So I shall be doing a lot of reading on the journey… if my two companions allow me that rare privilege.”

“Your companions?”

Peter explained he was travelling with two bright young gentlemen whom he had befriended in London six months earlier. All three possessed a burning desire for adventure, and what better place than Africa.

“It is a long journey into Africa. My traveling companion is a Mr. Charlie Manning.”

“Cannot say I know him.”

“I should hope not. It would beguile me. He worked for my father.”

“Get off it old chap. Well he must have extraordinary charm. Young then?”

Michael nodded his head. “Three years younger than I.”

“I look forward to meeting with him.” He slammed a hand against Michael’s back in assurance, “I really must leave old chap. There be some people to find.” He chuckled. “I hope you find your friend.” He said and walked away.

 

“I sincerely hope you find yours.” Michael waved back, smiling.

 

*

 

Michael, pacing his finances so as not to fall into ruin by squandering the money placed in trust by his mother before she died, had found himself a job as a salesman with Garnets, diamond merchants, for a meager wage of five shillings a week.

On a particularly dusty afternoon just before summer turned, the shop door opens and the wind blows into the chimes hanging at the top of the entrance. The door shuts, the chimes stop ringing. Michael expects Mr. Garnet to answer the call, but he is in the back, and Michael’s head is inside a cabinet, redesigning the display.

 

- Hullo.

 

Michael reaches up and bumps his head on the cabinet’s ceiling. . The man is tall and Michael thinks well looked after by a house full of maids and parents who probably love him.

 

- I am looking for a signet ring, to fit this small finger.

 

- I may just have the ring you need sir.

 

Michael disappears into a back room, returns to his customer a few moments later, and opens each lid with a key taken from his tweed jacket pocket.

 

The stranger says, with a smirk on his face,

- I know you…seen you somewhere.

 

Michael says, - Perhaps at lecture hall? Geology?

 

- Of-course. How could I be so lame brained? In the library.

 

Michael looks at him curiously, then says, - Come to think of it, I have seen you there too.

 

- I am everywhere. Law, first year. Peter Sheffield.

 

- I am Michael Dun. Well, let me see those hands of yours, Mr. Sheffield.

 

He holds out his hands for Michael to look at, turns to the boxes and holds them up for Peter to choose. He chooses several potential designs. Then, turning to Michael, he says, - Which one would you choose, Michael Dun

 

In that moment, Michael stares into Peter’s eyes and the connection is made.

 

His body is hot and cold at the same time. He has never felt this way towards a man before, or a woman. He flusters, then collects himself.

 

- I have never chosen anything for a customer, sir. I…I…

 

- Pick a ring, Mr. Dun. Please.

 

Michael points at a gold ring with a flat surface and a small diamond set into it. Peter lifts the ring and gives it to him.

 

-You place it on my finger.

 

- Sir I…

 

- Go on then, place it on my finger. You want the sale, or you want me. Or both. I will be at the Royal Inn later this evening. Now place the ring on my finger and I shall pay for it and I shall leave.

 

His voice is shaking; - I…I cannot do that, sir. You have to pay first, sir.

 

- Very well then. He raises his voice slightly, - I shall take it and have it delivered to my home, better still, I insist you deliver the package yourself.

 

Peter walks away towards Mr. Garnet pretending to examine a large diamond from behind a gigantic eyepiece. The old man removes the eyepiece and smiles at Peter before taking his money.

 

Michael, behind the far counter, notices the two of them exchanging words and quickly disappears into the back of the shop, where he cools his face with a wet towel. He hears the lock turn, the hard footsteps coming into the back.

 

Michael turns to face him. He is standing at the door.

 

-It was difficult not to hear.

 

Mr. Garnet steps into the room, sits on an easy chair, and in a soft voice, says,

-He is attracted to you. The question is are you attracted to him? And, if you are, why are you still standing here when you have this parcel to deliver?

 

Michael spun around at once and without saying a word, collected the wrapped parcel from Garnet’s hands and fled from the shop, hoping to catch Peter Sheffield before he reached home. As Michael steps outside, Peter Sheffield appears from behind a pillar at the entrance to the shop, and stops him in his tracks.

 

-Looking for me, Chapsy.

 

Michael stops at once and exclaims,

– Mr. Sheffield!

 

- Peter, please.

 

Michael smiles at him, shrugs his shoulders, - Very well then, Peter Please. I do believe this belongs to you.

 

- Thank you, Michael Dun. Shall we celebrate then?

 

- Celebrate what?

 

- Us, Michael Dun. You and me.

In the next chapter; aboard the ship...
L J Harris
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ohhh, love Dun's history coming out here with Peter--I wonder what conflict will arise because of this... hmmm, interesting.

 

Excellently written. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..