Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 562 Words
  • 1,037 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 27. Chapter 27

My dearest Cecelia,

This letter is written to you for there is no one else to whom I would entrust this task. Charlie is dead, at the hands of a highwayman. Several other people whom I have befriended are also dead for various reasons. Before he died, Charlie wrote a note saying Madelyn had asked him to follow me to Africa and see to it that I do not return to England. I believe she has hired a killer who followed me to the Republic of the Transvaal. I must digress and say that I fear for my father's life. I could write to the authorities but it would cause quite a scandal. Tread very carefully indeed. I require you to watch her carefully, her every move. When you have this information I want you to take it to Lord Granville of the British Colonial Office. He will know what to do. By the time this message gets to you I may not be alive, therefore, the situation is urgent. If my assumption is correct, I will have Madelyn behind bars, facing her jurors.

 

Yours truly,

Michael.

 

She paced about the room, flagging the letter between her fingers, then suddenly stopped, placed it in her brassierre, lifted her skirt and walked calmly down the hallway. Now that she had been entrusted with a most dire secret she looked more confident than ever, felt humbled and blessed. She entered an open door at the end of the hallway and knocked on another door beyond. Montgomery answered and invited her in. Inside the room, posing over the chaise, Madelyn greeted her politely.

 

"There is a letter." She said stiffly, aware of Montgomery's eyes at her back. She handed the note to Madelyn who grabbed it and read it at once.

 

"Montgomery, that will be all."

 

"Madam will ring if my services are required?"

 

"I shan't need you tonight, you will need enough sleep."

 

He closed the door softly behind him. Madelyn turned to Cecelia who scolded her.

 

"We had an agreement, Madelyn. You have broken it."

 

"What on earth do you mean?"

 

"You said only Michael would die. Several others have died in the process. What is going on here, Madelyn?"

 

"My darling, I am waiting for the opportunity to strike. My man is awaiting word. Sir Robert needs to become bedridden permanently. As for the other deaths, I do not know who is responsible, believe me." Her attention fell on the letter in her hand.

 

Cecelia grinned, "Lord Granville from the British Colonial Office? Interesting indeed, would you not agree, Madelyn?"

 

"Do you think Michael may be working as an official of the British Government?"

 

"Oh! Lord. Do you think he's a ...an agent? Oh, Madelyn! I cannot bear much more of this. Being away from you is driving me insane and I fear I will succumb to despair. When is this finally going to be over?"

 

Madelyn brushed Cecelia's hair away from her eyes, and said, with a loving smile, "Soon, my precious. Montgomery has done exactly what I have asked of him - he is an easy one to mislead."

 

"Have you come to a decision about Sir Robert?"

 

"Yes. Dr. Lewis has agreed to make it look like an accident."

L J Harris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..