Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 678 Words
  • 1,674 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 33. Chapter 33

The finale. An epilogue. All good comes to those who are humble and free of conflict.

Epilogue

On the 14th February 1887, President Paul Kruger visited Johannesburg as part of his annual countrywide tour to hear the grievances of the people who had voted for him. He arrived in the village to a promising roar of cheers from hundreds of men in a town that had gone out of its way to welcome him. He noticed the town had a large number of streets and corners. The bars, taverns, and saloons on these street corners made more money than any other industry in the small republic. Banners lined the streets and an arch had been built outside the government office on Market Square. A commando of two hundred men led him through the streets and later that evening, he dined at the Gaiety Café. The speakers included the effervescent Rhodes, the Struben brothers, John X Merriman and Juta. Michael was mesmerized by this Boer President's gift of speech. He told the mixed audience that he was happy to hear that everyone was satisfied with the government's efforts to make them comfortable. In the next breath, he warned the diggers in his self-assuring abruptness, about his agents on the Barbeton and Rand gold fields, there to ensure that the law was upheld. He wagged a stone finger at them, as though they were naughty children, warning them that if there were to be disturbances in their new town, he would call digger against digger to catch the disobedient, failing which he would use his own burghers.

Michael had taken a liking to this tactless, demanding Boer. After the speeches he stood up to shake the president's hand.

Kruger did not smile. "You are the one who was a witness in that trial against the Englishman. Come, share my table."

He soon was enjoying a glass of wine with him. The president scarcely spoke a word of English, but excelled in the language with a guttural Afrikaner accent.

"You are also English." He said.

"Yes, Sir. From Coventry in England, Sir."

"I have been to London, the place is filled with modern decadence. I gather you are a learned man, Mr....er..."

"Dun, Sir. Michael Dun. I am a geologist, Sir."

"I presume you are able to make quick but accurate assessments of the land, then?"

"I love the land, Sir. The soils and rocks and animals and plants. All have a place."

The president was visibly impressed Michael. He patted him on the shoulder and invited him to walk with him outside.

"This is a small republic, but I have endeavored to bring a society that is self supporting. Our laws are the same as those of many other countries, but I cannot forget who we are, and that God sent us here. The republic is poor. The discovery of the main reef series and other gold bearing farms in this district have shaken us, brought us back into a world that would forget us. We will never be poor again. Our payable gold reserves are climbing every day. Johannesburg has become a boomtown with more outlanders than Boers. The outlanders I understand are more experienced in mining matters, which is why I have allowed such a thing to happen. We are very proud of our country and language. Your Queen will reap the profits of our earth. I will never allow this to happen. I like you, kerel. Perhaps I could offer you something for your geological services? I need a good man such as you. Before you answer, think about it. It could change your life."

Michael was astounded. He had never expected this from the president. He could not agree right away, for he had Charlie's mine to consider. The president promised him he could go on managing or digging on his mine. The job would certainly entail information about the foreigners on the gold fields, his duty would be to check any kind of insurrection or rumours of revolt. Geological information was secondary but would be noted. Michael understood the criteria. First he had to get back to Laburnum.

Thank you for reading. I will be revisiting certain chapters to rewrite. Hope you enjoyed the journey...
L J Harris
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wanted to see a happy ending... if not with Charlie then with Dandie... I am not happy with the ironic ending.... irony is not happy, at least not in this case. I hope you go on with the tale. If not, I hope you consider rewriting the last chapter... It was a good read.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..