Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,258 Words
  • 2,588 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 1. Chapter 1

Michael Dun is an Englishman born into British aristocracy, he is a geologist, a spy for the British Colonial Office, and to top all of this, a man who prefers men to women.
Michael’s first assignment is to spy on the gold digging activities on the Ridge of White Waters.

As fate would have it, on the eve of his journey to the Cape of Good Hope, he is called to his family home on some urgent, unfinished business…

BRITISH COLONIAL OFFICE

- ENGLAND

 

 

Lord Granville was one of an unseen few who advised Queen Victoria.

The public had never seen him, never heard him, and would not miss him.A soft-spoken man, he carried the world in aging hands and was on the lookout for a coup to revive the confidence of his lost youth.

At an age when retirement was in sight, he had not reached his peak. A regretful situation for any one with more to achieve. Leaning back in a brown leather chair, he twined his wiry fingers together as if entertaining some deep thought.

Michael Dun sat opposite him.

A formal looking gentleman with a fair moustache and high brow. Dressed in his shiniest spats and bow.

Granville exclaimed, “St. Mary’s elbow! I cannot believe the resemblance to your father.”

“What is all this about?” Michael Dun asked, his face a sea of confusion bordering on anger after having been abducted almost against his will, by Granville’s agent.

Granville held himself straight and bragged an arrogant smile, then launched into a tirade of words. “Every now and then, an event takes the world by storm and changes the order we know so well.” His forehead stretched as he spoke, and he played with the small gold ring on his little finger. “Man lives in a world of revolutions, new nations, rival imperial power and scientific discovery, and a great event is unfolding even as we speak. Britain wants to be a part of that event.”

“And what is that event sir?”

“The discovery of gold in the Republic of the Transvaal. South Africa.”

Michael swallowed hard, realising there was much more to this. “A rather luxurious benefit to Britain.” He observed.

Granville did not hear him, he was far too busy analyzing the Boer: “They were a poor and subdued society,” he told the young Michael Dun. “British laws were not good enough for them so they journeyed from the Cape and Natal colonies to escape. Their economy, based on farming, and more recently diamonds, is becoming a lucrative market and Her Majesty’s government understands there had been a discovery in the Mount Sheba district of Barberton, also in the Heidelburg district. Should there be more gold, the colonial office expects a full-scale rush. Kruger is not saying much about the discoveries, and the Queen is impatient with his silence. She requires full control over the South African Republic. She has a fair amount of expatriates and citizens there and they need protection. I must stress that the entire world’s economy should benefit from such a discovery in a short time, but first, the British must overcome the Boer.”

Michael took the gap. “I admire the strength and agility of our military might, Sir. Surely “control” is a harsh word. This would mean war. The last war, fought and lost, was at Majuba, barely five years ago. Are you not being hasty, sir?"

Lord Granville leaned forward. His voice tutorial, “The British are a conquering nation of royalists. They will have their own way no matter how ‘unmajestic’ the cause. For now, the government requires the process of immigration to South Africa made easier. First, they need information concerning the gold fields, and we want you to do it.” Granville said, directly.

“Me, Sir?”

“You have balls, Michael. Balls and an iron will. Much like your father. We need your help, it is as simple as that.”

“How can I possibly help you, Sir?”

“We know you keep a diary. We want facts. Despatched each fortnight. We know, from high places, that the Standard Bank will soon be opening a branch if the rumours prove to be true. The Pretoria government plans to build a post office. Something is happening that we are not too sure of, find out and let us know. You are going to Africa.”

“There must be some danger involved…” Michael said.

Granville reminded him that Africa was a mysterious and dangerous place. “Her Majesty and Salisbury understand this. But you have the soul of a lion, and we know you can do it. We are concerned with only the gold fields, its people and its yield. We shall pay your journey and supply you with all the finance you require.”

“You are prepared to do this in return for information?”

“Once there, you will be on your own, Michael. Your task is to remain in the Republic and search for gold in this area.” He turned to a large map covering Southern Africa and pointed to an area known as the Transvaal. “Your affiliation with us does not exist. When the time comes, we will inform you what to do. Until then we will receive your briefs every two weeks.”

Michael boldly stepped up to the map and focused on the area, he found the Vaal, Orange and Tugela Rivers, he found the Drakensberg (Mountain of the Dragon) that danced from the north, down to the Cape in the South. A pin was neatly placed on the map at a place called Raandjieslaagte.

“Do I have an option?”

“At this stage, no. A toast to a long and efficacious relationship! Wine, young man?”

“Thank you. Another question, if I might be so bold as to ask?”

“Ask anything you like.”

Michael hesitated at first. “Do you know everything about me?”

“It seems you have no plans to marry. Your ambition is to be of service to Queen and government. We know you are strong and able to think on your feet. You have the wit and perseverance we require. You are unattached; you have no financial commitments. You are an astute student of the soil and you are a royalist. That is all there is to know that is important. The rest is your affair. When you arrive on the Rand, you will stake your claim and continue as any other miner.” Granville poured white wine into a glass and handed it to Michael who sipped at it slowly, “…And that is it.”

Michael suddenly barked with laughter. He quieted down and mumbled, “I do not believe that I am hearing this. Excuse my impertinence sir. Did you study that map? It is an angry place of jungles and rivers and mountains that I have never dreamed of. What is in this for me?”

“Recognition.” Granville said.

“What kind of recognition?”

“Perhaps a Knighthood? Of-course, if you fail, or if you place Her Majesty’s government in a compromising position…well, that would be another matter. I am positive that Her Majesty’s government has entrusted this task to a wise individual who will remain in Her service for many years to come.” Lord Granville raised his glass. “A toast to you, lad. And good luck.”

 

*

 

The carriage rolled along to the rhythm of the horses hooves and nothing seemed the same any more. Perhaps it was the feeling of complete and utter shock at the realisation that he now worked for her Majesty, Queen Victoria. It was much more than that.

He was going away to Africa. The southern-most tip of Africa.

He alighted the steps to his flat in Maple Street and when he got to the door, noticed a telegram on the floor. He snatched it up, unfolded it, and read it aloud.

 

“Request return to Laburnum Stop interest in Mothers will Stop”

From Lady Gwendolyn Dun, his stepmother…

 

A changed young man would be returning to Laburnum on the outskirts of Coventry.

Africa would have to wait.

Quotes from the book:
“Men are not allowed to love each other the way we do. Therefore it is a crime and we are locked away, labelled insane and incurably so. We do not feel threatened here in this great wilderness. Here we are free, able to wrap our arms about each other or hold hands or even dance. We have never known such freedom.”
Michael Dun - 1886

I hope you will contginue with me on this adventure...In the next chapter Michael meets Charlie and life as he knows it, ceases to be...

L J Harris
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, goodie, I get to be your first review.(for this chappy, anyhow, lol) Historical fiction isn't usually a genre I indulge in, but this seemed interesting--and honestly, your easy-to-read great-flowing style makes it all the more easy to access and enjoy!

 

Nice amount of description to dialogue and action ratio--but you always seem to have that down pat. :D

 

Thanks for the read, I'll get to more soon!

 

Anyta

Link to comment

Well, you are great, man! I loved it. I really mean it. It is not often that I read something so well written.

Sometimes... I had to confess, I could not read more than a few lines of a story. I feel sad, for in such a case I cannot shower the author in praises. When I have nothing pleasant to tell to an author, I shut up.

Your story creates a flood of expectations. It had made me read faster, in eagerness to see what would happen in the next chapter.

Thumps up, man. I loved it.

Link to comment
On 03/02/2011 08:48 PM, John Galaor said:
Well, you are great, man! I loved it. I really mean it. It is not often that I read something so well written.

Sometimes... I had to confess, I could not read more than a few lines of a story. I feel sad, for in such a case I cannot shower the author in praises. When I have nothing pleasant to tell to an author, I shut up.

Your story creates a flood of expectations. It had made me read faster, in eagerness to see what would happen in the next chapter.

Thumps up, man. I loved it.

thanx john. Sorry, I have been away from GA for a couple of weeks. Glad you enjoying it, i know I have to post more and I will, immediately after church today...expect the worst and hope for the best in this story. I write so that everything seems to be all mixed up but comes together as the story unwinds...that's just how I do it. I know it drives readers crazy, but it's a habit I picked up early on in my writing attempts...have a bliss day and write on friend...
Link to comment

Well written. At this point one can go anywhere with this story. I am interested in getting to know the protagonist better. This chapter leaves me with great expectations. more please

Link to comment

Oh I do love a historical tale, and this one is right in the smack of an era I adore reading about.

Oh you clever, clever man. :P

Quite like fly fishing, light, airy, a gentle flick on the water above us to lure us in...

Onwards my good man, let us find out what you have in store for us.

:D

Link to comment
On 12/19/2013 07:11 AM, Yettie One said:
Oh I do love a historical tale, and this one is right in the smack of an era I adore reading about.

Oh you clever, clever man. :P

Quite like fly fishing, light, airy, a gentle flick on the water above us to lure us in...

Onwards my good man, let us find out what you have in store for us.

:D

Thank you Yettie! Gosh, I forgot I write this book. Well, I hope yiu enjoy the rest. Just skip the boring parts.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..