Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 688 Words
  • 1,223 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Michael Dun - 9. Chapter 9

Michael and Charlie arrive in Kimberley and meet the Boer woman. She tells them the discovery of gold is a tall tale of hopelessness.

Main hotel, host to many travelers and adventurers, was a welcome hiatus from a veldt that was foreign and wicked. The rooms were small with a single bed covered in white sheets. Dark red wallpaper adorned the walls and a chipboard wardrobe stood sentry beside a well-used basin, rimmed brown from overuse. Charlie drew open the curtains and allowed the sun to shine over Michael’s sleeping body.

 

Michael muttered, “…I had gold in my hands. Then suddenly it…it turned to dust and slipped away. Men and women, both dressed in long dresses, laughed at me and I was forced to leave town. ”

 

Charlie commented that the dream probably had a sexual connotation.

 

Michael added, “ Of course, men and women wearing dresses. Do you think I have a sexual identity problem, Charlie?”

 

“You are stronger and more able than any man I have known, Michael.”

 

Michael looked out onto Main Road and watched as workers watered it to keep the dust from rising.

 

“Are you sorry we met up with your friend Peter Sheffield.” Charlie asked suddenly.

 

“He is not my friend, Charlie!” Michael retorted.

 

“Do you think his intentions are honorable?” He asked. “Or do you think he has a hidden agenda?”

 

“Of course he has an agenda. He wants us as partners. That means he wants our money. He will not stop until he has both.”

 

“Surely he should know better than to do that, being a lawyer and all.”

 

“He should. But greed will be his downfall.” Michael added.

 

“…Or will greed be our downfall?” Charlie lamented. “This land is harsh. England is a holiday compared to this. In England, you wake up, perhaps bathe, and enjoy the day with modern things about you. There is always something prepared for dinner and there is a fire on cold winter nights in the family room.”

 

“Missing home, then old chap.”

 

“Yes.”

 

Michael reached out and touched Charlie gently on the face. “Do not dwell on England. If you wish to think about anything, think about us. We have fortune on our side for we have each other.” Michael lifted the window and waved at the lady who had so charmingly served them at the reception desk the night before. She smiled and waved back, then he turned and smiled at Charlie, seated on the edge of the bed. “I want to love you unconditionally, in a world filled with conditions. I want to give unquestioningly, in a world that is afraid to ask questions. I want to hold you affectionately in a world that denies us the affection we seek. And I will never deny you.”

 

Michael kissed him gently on the forehead, “Now, about that sexual problem…” Michael muttered in Charlie’s ear before biting it.

 

Had he remained at the window a moment longer, he would have witnessed the arrival of Peter Sheffield as the huge wagon turned into Main Road.

 

*

 

The clerk behind the desk was a large, wide-eyed lady who did not seem disturbed by Peter Sheffield’s untidy appearance. She explained to him and his party that she had seen many fortune seekers pass through the town. She offered them a bath and a breakfast, lunch and supper, for as long as they needed.

 

“Are you here to search for the diamonds?” She asked, her English accent was cruelty to the ears.

 

Peter exclaimed, “Oh, dear lady, no! No! No! We intend moving on after replenishing our supplies and our energy. Our turf is a place called the Rand.”

 

“It is a lonely place you go to Meneer. The Witwatersrand will die soon. Those gold stories are just stories.”

 

“We have our minds made up, Madam. Gentlemen, shall we take coffee and breakfast?”

 

All agreed but the Boer woman. She wagged a long finger at them. Meneere! Skaam julle! Gentlemen! Shame on you! You will wash first and then come to breakfast. I will show you to your rooms, then prepare a bath for each of you.”

L J Harris
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“I want to love you unconditionally, in a world filled with conditions. I want to give unquestioningly, in a world that is afraid to ask questions. I want to hold you affectionately in a world that denies us the affection we seek. And I will never deny you.”

 

 

So beautiful, so wonderful.

Link to comment
On 01/23/2011 06:34 AM, AnytaSunday said:
“I want to love you unconditionally, in a world filled with conditions. I want to give unquestioningly, in a world that is afraid to ask questions. I want to hold you affectionately in a world that denies us the affection we seek. And I will never deny you.”

 

 

So beautiful, so wonderful.

Sometimes the genius of writing comes up with something quite profound...thank you.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..