Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 3,008 Words
  • 1,398 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The best magic is nothing to do with conjuring tricks, sleight of hand or any form of trickery. The best magic is more connected to unconditional love.
6th June 2023. This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader's experience, it has not been changed in any other way.

Aunt May's Magic - 1. Aunt May's Magic

Aunt May is a special lady, with no biological family. She is full of love and shares that love freely with those she believes need it, her family is rooted in love, not blood.
6th June 2023. This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader's experience, it has not been changed in any other way.

His boots had seen better days. They were scuffed and tatty. The soles were cracked and had holes that were cardboard covered from the inside, and even the cardboard was wet and soggy. Dirty, worn jeans with tears and holes hid his stick-thin legs. His designer label t-shirt and sweater recovered from a bin, were equally as dirty, and worn, covering ribs and spine that would easily be seen if he removed his clothes. A damp jacket and knitted beanie hat finished off his outfit. Was it him or his clothes that gave off the unpleasant odour? It didn't matter. There was nothing he could do about it. Standing in the middle of the cafe, he glanced around at the full tables. Surprisingly, nobody paid him any attention as he counted the last of his money in his thin grubby hands. He had two pounds and forty-six pence.

Carefully reading the menu, he soon realised that most of it was out of his price range. He could afford two slices of toast and a mug of tea. It would be better than nothing and leave him with some change. He approached the counter and was about to place his order when he spotted at the bottom of the menu Bens Special. He didn't know who Ben was, but his special looked good and cheap too. Two sausages, one egg, beans, two slices of toast and a large mug of tea or coffee. All for one pound!

“Excuse me, sir.” He asked politely, “Is that right, Bens Special, all of that for one pound?”

At eighteen-years-old Charlie wasn't used to being called sir and looked at the man who spoke to him. “Yes sir, it is, but maybe you would like to choose a meal from the friendship menu. It's all good, there is a wider choice of meals, and they all include a drink of your choice.”

The young man behind the counter looked friendly and was smiling at him, but he quietly replied. “I'm sure you're right, but I know what I can afford, then I can afford to eat tomorrow as well.” Shocked and embarrassed, he brought his hand to his mouth. He didn't mean to say the last part.

“I understand. Please, let me ask Aunt May to explain the friendship menu.” Charlie winced as he limped to the kitchen. His leg was sore. “Aunt May, could you explain the friendship menu to this customer, please? You can explain better than me.”

A friendly, fresh-faced, middle-aged woman stepped out of the kitchen. Her greying hair and slightly fuller figure gave her the look of a loving mother. “Charlie, go sit on the stool and take the weight off your feet. You know what the doctor said about overdoing it. Go on, sit.” Then she spoke to the dishevelled man at the counter. “Come and sit with me, and I'll explain.”

Moving to the nearest empty table, she sat and gestured to the empty chair. “We have two menus and one special.”

“I saw the special. I'd like one of those, please. I don't know who Ben is, but his special looks good to me.”

“I'll bet it does. It is popular. But let me explain first. Our standard menu is very reasonably priced, and probably the cheapest around and keeps us busy. The Bens Special isn't named after anyone. Bens is short for benefits and is only available to those who claim benefits and can show proof.”

“That rules me out then. I don't get any.”

“If you really want the Bens Special, I think I can make an exception...”

“No, you can't do that. I don't want you to get into any trouble.”

“Trust me, I won't get in any trouble, but please, hun, let me finish. Then we have the Friendship Menu Board. You can choose anything you want from the Friendship Menu by taking any ticket off there. All of those meals have been paid for in advance by people who can afford to pay for an extra meal and are free to those who need them. All we ask is that if you can afford it in the future, you pay for a meal and put it on the Friendship Menu for someone else. It is not charity. It is a gift from someone who understands.”

May ignored the unpleasant odour and dirty clothes as she reached across the table, gently placing her hand on his arm. “I suggest the Friendship Special for you.”

“What's the Friendship Special?”

“That is any meal on the menu, including dessert, with a hot drink to eat now and a sandwich with either soup or a drink to go so you have something for later. I'm sure there is one left on the board.”

“C... can... I... have that please?” He felt emotional. It had been a long time since he experienced such kindness and made to feel welcome.

“I'll get you the ticket.” May went to the counter and whispered to Charlie as she wrote a Friendship Special ticket. “Charlie, give him whatever he wants. I'll pay for it later.” May made a pretence of removing the ticket from the board and gave it to the unkempt young man.

“Thank you.” He rose and went to the counter. After placing his order, he spoke to Charlie. “She is a wonderful lady. Is she really your Aunt? I would love to have an Aunt like her.”

Charlie smiled. “Aunt May is the best. She isn't my real Aunt. She's taken so many of us under her wing and helped us. We all call her Aunt May out of love and respect. She deserves that and so much more.”

While the man relished his meal, Charlie made up the ordered sandwich and a small thermos of soup.

In the kitchen, May spoke on the phone to The Manager of the shop a few doors down. “Morning Brad sweetie, it's May from the cafe.”

“Morning Aunt May. What can I do for you?”

“If I send a young man to you, could you kit him out with a couple of full changes of clothes? He's in desperate need, but he doesn't have any money. I'll cover any cost.”

“Aunt May, you know I will always do my best for you, and there will be no cost. We have plenty of stock. If it's the guy I gave some money to earlier and sent to the cafe, he definitely needs everything. I'll even let him use the staff facilities to clean himself up.”

“Thank you, Brad, you are a darling. What would we do without you?”

“What would we do without our Aunt May? Give him one of your Friendship Special tickets, and I'll take care of the rest.”

“Thank you, Brad. God bless you.”

“May God bless you too, Aunt May.”

Hanging up the phone, she wrote another Friendship Special ticket, then entered the main body of the cafe. The dishevelled young man was sitting eating, and enjoying a large bowl of trifle.

Charlie made up a takeaway bag for him, a roast beef sandwich, a bag of crisps, some fruit and a thermos of soup, enough to satisfy a young, healthy appetite.

May sat opposite the young man as he finished his meal and passed him the ticket. “How was your meal? Are you feeling any better now?”

“That was the best meal I've ever had. I can't remember the last time I felt so full. Thank you. Is there any way I can repay you?”

“The compliment you just gave me is payment in full, and I will not hear any argument about it. Now, that ticket I just gave you is another Special. It is different to the other one. This one, you take it to The Recycle Shop a few doors down. Ask for Brad and give him the ticket. He knows what to do. He may need some help tidying up the shop if you have the time to help him.” May handed him a card, “After you're done at the shop, go to the address on the card. I'm not sure who will be there tonight, they don't seem to stick to a rota, but they are all good people. Just tell them Aunt May sent you. Hopefully, they can give you a bed for the night. Even if they can't, they can give you a lot of good advice if you want it.”

“I... I don't know what to say. I just, know... I know I don't deserve this.” The young man stood, the tears didn't fall, but they were in his eyes.

“Come, give Aunt May a hug. I love hugs, and I don't get enough of them.”

Ignoring the pungent odour for another time May approached the young man. Placing her arms around him, she gave him a tight hug. Hesitantly at first, the young man returned the hug just as tight.

“Now go, do as I've told you and come see me tomorrow. I want to know that you are okay.” May kissed him on the cheek which caused him to run tearfully from the cafe.

He ran. He felt embarrassed. 'Why did I do that? Why did I let myself cry? I was okay till Aunt May,' that somehow felt good calling her that, 'till Aunt May kissed me.' He touched his hand to that spot on his cheek where Aunt May kissed him. He felt good. Trying to wipe the tears from his cheeks with the back of his sleeve, he only succeeded in smearing his already dirty face. He noticed it when he looked at his reflection in the shop window. It was The Recycle Shop that Aunt May gave him the ticket for.

He could see a man at the back of the shop. It couldn't be, that was the man that gave him some money earlier and told him to go to the cafe for something hot to eat. 'Is that Brad? If I go in, I could say thank you, but if I go in....' He didn't get any further in his thoughts.

Brad looked up and saw him. In a few strides, he was at the front of the shop opening the door. “Welcome, Aunt May told me to expect you. I'm Brad. Please, come in.” Brad held out his hand for a handshake.

He looked at Brad's hand, then at his own and hesitated.

Brad sensed the young man's discomfort and changed his gesture to one of inviting him in. “It's okay, I understand. Please come in so I can help you find what you need.”

Nervously he entered. “Thank you.”

“Think nothing of it... erm, what do I call you? I don't know your name.” Brad inquired.

“Erm... er... George... It's George. My name is George.” He knew it wasn't his real name, but it was the first name to come to mind. It would have to do.

“Okay... er... George, it is then. Aunt May said you need some good clothes. I tend to agree with her. Don't take this the wrong way, but it would be a shame to put on new clothes before cleaning up a bit, wouldn't you agree?”

The young man nodded and gave Brad the ticket Aunt May had given him.

“Good, if you follow me, I'll show you the staff facilities where you can clean up. While you do that, I can get a selection of clothes for you to choose from. Is that okay with you?” After picking up a dressing gown, Brad led the way to the staff room.

“Yeah, yeah sure,” George replied.

“Here we are. This is our staff room. Through that door is the staff bathroom, in there is an electric shower, towels and any toiletries you may need are in there too. If you use this dressing gown, you can leave your clothes out here, and I'll see what I can do with them. Any of your more personal possessions, you know, cash or anything else, you can take in there with you. When you have finished, I'll have some clothes ready for you to choose from.”

“But... but you don't know my size.”

“Trust me, George. I have a good eye for these things. I've got your size.” Leaving George to undress and shower, Brad went to pick out some clothes. The first things he picked up were new socks and underwear. The rest of the clothes may be second-hand, but no one wanted to wear used socks or underwear. They were brand new, still in their packaging.

A few minutes later, Brad entered the staff room. He could hear the shower running and smiled as he laid out the selected clothes. Picking up the clothes that George left on the chair, he knew what to do with them. They were quickly disposed of in the bin.

Fifteen minutes later, George stepped out of the staff room into the shop. Dressed in the clothes Brad picked, he felt and looked much better. His mid-length hair was still damp but combed. After shaving the light growth of his beard off his face, his features were smooth.

Brad did a double-take on seeing George. 'Wow, I know he is too young for me and thin, but he is hot, H.O.T, HOT. If Charlie sees him now he will be all over him.'

Recovering, Brad spoke up. “Looking good young man, veeeery goooood indeed, you, are going to break some hearts.”

George blushed. “I don't know how you did it but you got my size spot on. Thank you, the clothes are really nice.”

“I'm glad you like them. Now, let's get you kitted out.”

“Brad no, it's too much. This is more than okay.”

“It's not enough, you need a coat and one, preferably two, changes of clothes, more socks and underwear and, in case you haven't noticed, you haven't got any shoes yet, plus you need something to put everything in. Stop worrying. It's all covered by your ticket. Plus you don't want to get me in trouble with Aunt May, do you?” Brad knew that he was telling a few white lies, but so what. George needed everything he was being given, and a little emotional blackmail, in this case, was a good thing.

When they finished, George had two more changes of clothes, enough socks and underwear for a week, a coat and a backpack to keep everything in. Brad made sure he also had shaving gear, toiletries and a couple of towels. The backpack may be heavy, but Brad knew it was the right thing to do.

“Aunt May said you needed some help tidying up. What would you like me to do?”

“Yeah, she's right, my help called in sick today, but you don't have to help. It won't be the first time I've done it on my own.”

“I have to. I can't let Aunt May down.”

“She's got to you, hasn't she? I can tell, you're already calling her Aunt May.”

“Yeah, she's special, something really special.” He touched his cheek where Aunt May kissed him earlier.

“Did Aunt May give you a card and tell you where to go later?”

“Yeah, she said to tell them that she sent me, but I don't know where it is or how to get there.”

“Don't worry about that, I'll drop you off when we're done here. If you're coming back to see Aunt May tomorrow, call in here first and we can go to lunch together. I'd like you to stay in touch.”

He stood facing Brad. Tears were in his eyes again, and he held out his hand. “Dale, that's my real name, Dale Roberts. I'm sorry I lied earlier.”

Brad brushed his hand to the side, enveloping Dale in a hug he whispered, “Friends don't need to apologise to friends, and you, Dale Roberts, are my new friend.”

Later that day, Brad parked his Astra and Took Dale to the address on the card. “Hi Andy, Aunt May has sent you a new guest, his name is Dale. Can you look after him?”

“What sort of a question is that? You know I will, especially if Aunt May sent him. I'm not getting on her bad side.” Andy was laughing as he replied.

“Good. Can you make sure he knows how to get back to me in the morning? Dale is my new friend, and you know Aunt May will want to see him.”

“Your's, and Aunt May's wish is my command.” Andy laughed and gave a mock salute as Brad left.

After consulting Chris and The Major, Andy explained the rules of The New Boot and the significance of a private room before he noted a few details and gave Dale a key to his allocated room.

“Monday, Jeff will want to speak to you and help you start a claim for benefits. Aunt May is on your side, so I know you will be okay. Welcome to The New Boot.”

After a good night's sleep, Dale felt better than he had in a long time. He ate a light breakfast of cereal and juice and then left to meet Brad at The Old Shoe Factory Recycle Shop. He spent the morning helping Brad and his assistant in the shop. Later he had lunch with Brad in The Boot Cafe And Drop-In Centre. The highlight of his day was talking to and becoming friends with Charlie.

Over time Dale gained confidence and grew in stature, adding just enough weight to his frame. With the encouragement of Aunt May and his new friends, he studied and qualified as a State Registered Nurse. Moving into Aunt May's spare room was the second-best day of his life.

The best day was when Charlie kissed him and asked him to be his boyfriend.

Aunt May, with the support of The New Boot and The Old Shoe Factory, had performed her magic again, and her family grew by one more.

I hope you have enjoyed the first story from The New Boot and The Old Shoe Factory, yes I said the first, that means in time there will be more from both The New Boot and The Old Shoe Factory. They will feature in joint and separate stories.
Please let me know what you think and how you feel about the story, it means a lot to me and I promise to read and acknowledge each and every comment.
6th June 2023. This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader's experience, it has not been changed in any other way.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 22
  • Sad 1
Thank you to all readers for reading this story, if you have enjoyed reading it please leave a comment to let me know what you think and how it made you feel, I would love to hear from you. I promise to read and acknowledge all comments that you leave.
6th June 2023. This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader's experience, it has not been changed in any other way.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



3 hours ago, AlexLittel said:

Great story.  Have enjoyed "The Boot" series.  Keep the good stuff coming.  Hugs

Thank you for the encouraging comment, I appreciate it.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I’ll have to be sure to have the tissue box handy with these stories.  I had tears in my eyes within the first few sentences!  We all need an Aunt May!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, XenonMan said:

I really enjoyed the story.  This is the first of "The Boot" series I have read. I am looking  to the next story.

I am happy that you enjoyed the story, I promise there will be more to come. I hope that you will enjoy and comment on the other stories in The Boot World

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I’ll have to be sure to have the tissue box handy with these stories.  I had tears in my eyes within the first few sentences!  We all need an Aunt May!

Aunt May is really special lady who can be counted on, she is a valuable part of the team at The Old Shoe Factory and The New Boot. This story is the latest, but not the last, in The Boot World. Thank you for commenting.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Loved this story, it was very well done and as I find out, it introduces me to "The Boot" series and as time allows  I will find myself diving in!

Thanks!!!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Loved this story, it was very well done and as I find out, it introduces me to "The Boot" series and as time allows  I will find myself diving in!

Thanks!!!

Thank you for the valuable comments, I'm happy that you have enjoyed reading about Aunt May. I hope you will enjoy the reading The Boot Series, they pre-date this story giving us The Boot's story from day one, I look forward to reading any comments you care to leave.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Enjoyed your story very much. Now I some reading to catch up on with your previous offerings. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your continuing saga.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Leo622 said:

Enjoyed your story very much. Now I some reading to catch up on with your previous offerings. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your continuing saga.

Thank you @Leo622 for commenting. I enjoy writing stories for The Boot and Lost Soul series, I'm happy knowing that others enjoy them too. I hope that you will enjoy the earlier stories too and look forward to reading any comments that you would like leave. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Luke Past said:

What a nice story - thank you 😉

Sometimes you just need a feel good tale like one.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, it is appreciated.

Not all stories of youth homelessness have a happy ending, too many end up in tragedy. Luckily in this case Aunt May stepped in and performed her magic. It's the best from of magic too, the magic of caring and sharing love.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Luke Past said:

What a nice story - thank you 😉

Sometimes you just need a feel good tale like one.

Totally agree.  Good Boot story written, as usual, beautifully .   Thanks M. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Gary L said:

Totally agree.  Good Boot story written, as usual, beautifully .   Thanks M. 

Thank you Gary for your positive comments, as you know all comments are always welcome. 

I've said this before not all tales of homelessness, especially youth homelessness, have happy endings. I've been holding back the tales where the ending is not so good, but those tales have been fighting back and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this, I'm afraid that one or two of those tales could escape and find their way on to GA.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

Thank you Gary for your positive comments, as you know all comments are always welcome. 

I've said this before not all tales of homelessness, especially youth homelessness, have happy endings. I've been holding back the tales where the ending is not so good, but those tales have been fighting back and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this, I'm afraid that one or two of those tales could escape and find their way on to GA.

Those are stories that should be heard as well.  There are a few tough stories on this site as well as the billionaires in love stuff!  Go for it.   
regards from a cold, damp Valencia x

  • Love 5
Link to comment

This is a perfect story to read on a lazy Christmas day while the ham cooks! This is my first story about The  Boot. I will be looking for more. Thank and Merry Christmas!

  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

This is a perfect story to read on a lazy Christmas day while the ham cooks! This is my first story about The  Boot. I will be looking for more. Thank and Merry Christmas!

Thank you for the valuable comment it means a lot, there are a few stories in The Boot series and The lost Souls Series which is part of The Boot world, I hope that you enjoy more of them, more stories to both series will be coming in the new year. 

Merry christmas to you too and to all readers.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Great uplifting and heart warming story!

A bit too short as you could have easily filled in Dale's transition.... But bloody great nevertheless.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Simon41 said:

Great uplifting and heart warming story!

A bit too short as you could have easily filled in Dale's transition.... But bloody great nevertheless.

Thank you @Simon41 for the welcome comments, I really happy that you enjoyed this short story.

I agree that this is a bit on the short side, but there are reasons for that. I wanted readers to know that The Boot had not been forgotten and there are stories yet to come from The Old Shoe Factory. It's also a way to tell a little of developments since The Old Shoe Factory opened it's doors and introduce a few new characters. There will be more to come at point after the new year.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I am not sure of whether this is my first story in this universe or the second.  However, the subject is sometimes a rough one to tackle.  You've done well with this one.

I know of another author (I have not been able to persuade him to join and post on GA yet) who has written several stories about homelessness as well as other themes.  It is a pleasure to see an author tackle the subject with sensitivity and care.  This is especially true when the story is such a good one as this.  Well done.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

I am not sure of whether this is my first story in this universe or the second.  However, the subject is sometimes a rough one to tackle.  You've done well with this one.

I know of another author (I have not been able to persuade him to join and post on GA yet) who has written several stories about homelessness as well as other themes.  It is a pleasure to see an author tackle the subject with sensitivity and care.  This is especially true when the story is such a good one as this.  Well done.

Thank you @ReaderPaul for the welcome comments and complimenting the story. I hope you can persuade your friend to join GA, his/her stories may look at homelessness from a different perspective which would be good in highlighting the problem faced by many. I hope you will read more from The Boot World and enjoy them. your comments are always welcome. :hug:

  • Love 3
Link to comment

 This is a wonderful story and I truly enjoyed it.  Jeffrey is correct, this is a great story for the Christmas season and I'm grateful that it was the Featured Story for December. Now that I've been introduced to The Boot Universe, I'll have to read the other stories, because I'm certain they'll be just and good and enjoyable reads. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Bill W said:

 This is a wonderful story and I truly enjoyed it.  Jeffrey is correct, this is a great story for the Christmas season and I'm grateful that it was the Featured Story for December. Now that I've been introduced to The Boot Universe, I'll have to read the other stories, because I'm certain they'll be just and good and enjoyable reads. 

Thank you @Bill W for commenting. Knowing that readers have enjoyed the story makes it more enjoyable to write. There are other stories in The Boot World, some longer than others. Some of those stories have been re-edited in an attempt to improve them, and one or two are yet to undergo editing. The current story, What Happened To The Baxter Boys, is taking up most of my free time writing and rewriting chapters. Although it isn't finished yet I have a good buffer of chapters to entertain the readers. It is edited by @raven1 who is a great help in improving the quality of the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

Thank you @Bill W for commenting. Knowing that readers have enjoyed the story makes it more enjoyable to write. There are other stories in The Boot World, some longer than others. Some of those stories have been re-edited in an attempt to improve them, and one or two are yet to undergo editing. The current story, What Happened To The Baxter Boys, is taking up most of my free time writing and rewriting chapters. Although it isn't finished yet I have a good buffer of chapters to entertain the readers. It is edited by @raven1 who is a great help in improving the quality of the story.

You're in good hands with @raven1 and I've already started on The Baxter Boys.  I wasn't sure what order I should read the stories in, but I guess it doesn't matter, since it appears they might all be self-contained, yet interactive stories. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..