Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Permanently Black and Blue - 14. Chapter 14

 

It was the third of July, two days from Shaun’s nineteenth birthday, and the night of Defaced’s big debut.

It was ten am, Thursday morning, and Shaun was in the bathroom. He’d just climbed out of the shower and he stood over the sink, peering critically at himself in the mirror.

Eli had taught Shaun to shave when he was fourteen. He hated doing it, but his facial hair had been so scraggly and unattractive that he’d gotten into the habit of taking it off every few days. It was one of the only hygiene habits he followed religiously.

But Shaun’s facial hair was growing much faster as of late and it was coming in thicker, as well. He’d switched from shaving two or three times a week to once every day.

He ran a finger along the dark stubble grazing his jaw and upper lip. It was starting to grow in on his cheeks, too.

A lot of big names in metal rocked facial hair. James Hetfield of Metallica, Kerry King of Slayer, Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth… Shaun pictured himself with a manly beard and he didn’t hate it. Gretchen kept whining about corpse paint, but he wasn’t sold on the idea. Maybe he could toughen his image with some facial hair.

Shaun skipped the razor today. He could always shave tomorrow if he didn’t like it. He brushed his teeth, applied the Old Spice deodorant Eli had picked out for him, then used a dime-sized squeeze of Ruth’s hair product. She didn’t use it often, but it helped tame her frizzy curls.

Shaun combed the serum through his damp hair. It had a pleasant, neutral smell. His hair was growing fast, too, and it went just past his shoulders when dry. There was a wild wave to it and Jesse loved to run his fingers through his hair. He said it was sexy.

He went to his room next and got dressed in a T-shirt and fitted jeans. He was wearing a lot of T-shirts now that it was summer, and everyone approved. Ruth had gone out of her way to get some new ones at the Walmart, and Eli had given him some of his old, vintage tees. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grateful Dead, The Doors. Shaun was getting compliments and it was weirdly flattering.

Not a single person had mentioned the scars. Shaun wasn’t even sure anyone had noticed, but if you looked closely, it was obvious, especially the ones along his inner arm. The skin there was delicate and scarred terribly. When Shaun looked at himself, the scars stuck out like glowing brands.

He glared at the marks as he finished dressing. For the first time in his life, they were starting to bother him. This was his nineteenth year in this hellhole of a town, but it was the first summer he’d willingly dressed for the occasion. He’d started cutting when he was still in grade school and since then, he’d chosen long sleeves and dark colors over anything else. Over the years, Ruth had stopped trying and his wardrobe had remained unchanged.

Everything was different now. Shaun’s closet. The band. His social life…The fact he hadn’t felt the need to cut himself for over a month…

Shaun left his room and made his way down the hall. In the kitchen, Eli sat at the table with a cup of coffee while Ruth fried eggs at the stove. Shaun slumped into the chair across from Eli. “Morning.”

“Good morning.” Eli casually sipped his steaming mug of coffee. “How’d you sleep?”

Shaun shrugged, then glanced at his grandmother as she transferred the eggs onto plates.

“Off to Jesse’s this morning?” Eli asked.

Shaun turned back with a sigh. “Yeah.”

Eli nodded, then took another sip of his coffee.

Shaun had developed a regular schedule now that school had let out for the summer. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays were practice days. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays were spent at Jesse’s. Sundays were their days off from the kids. They spent them with the band or at Shaun’s house. Eli knew this.

This week was different from the others, however. Defaced was playing three songs at The Foundry on Saturday so they’d moved practice to Friday night. The same night as Shaun’s birthday dinner. Ruth had suggested he invite Jesse, but Shaun didn’t want him to know about it, so, he was going to Jesse’s today and making up an excuse to stay home tomorrow until the stupid birthday dinner was over. Then, he was picking Jesse up, definitely not mentioning the birthday crap, and taking him to Ben’s house to practice, party, and prepare for the big show the following evening.

Ruth brought the plates to the table. “How’s your friend? I haven’t seen him in a while.”

“His mother took the kids out of daycare so she could save some money,” Shaun grumbled as he attacked his eggs with the flat of his fork. “So she expects him to watch them for free.”

Ruth tisked as she turned back to the counter and poured a glass of juice. “That woman is a hot mess. I saw her leave at ten in the morning yesterday and didn’t see her pull in the drive until well after midnight. Those poor kids.”

“Were you spying again?” Eli chuckled.

“I wasn’t spying,” Ruth scowled as she came back to the table with the juice. She set it beside Shaun, then took a seat in front of her eggs. “I was up getting a glass of water. I saw headlights through the kitchen window.”

“Umhmm. I believe you.” Eli dipped a piece of toast into his yolk with a little smile, then glanced at Shaun as he jammed his toast into his mouth. “In a hurry, son?”

His mouth full, Shaun glared at the old man.

“I guess that’s a yes.” Eli laughed as Shaun choked down his toast with a long swallow of his OJ.

He wasn’t knocking on Jesse’s door until he was sure Monica was gone for the day, but it wouldn’t be long now. Her shift didn’t start until two, but she usually left much earlier. She said she was running errands, shopping, paying bills, but Jesse said she was skipping out to spend time with her boyfriend.

Shaun finished breakfast as his grandparents talked shit about the neighbors. He chugged the last of his juice then pushed back from the table. “I’m going out.”

“Did you invite your friend to dinner tomorrow?” Ruth asked.

“No,” Shaun said quickly. “I ah… don’t want to make a big deal out of it.”

Ruth gave him a strange look. “It’s your birthday.”

“So what?” Shaun grumbled.

“Well.” Ruth snatched Shaun’s plate and his empty glass and bustled to the sink with it. “I just thought it’d be nice if he celebrated with us.”

Shaun disagreed. He hated his birthday, and he didn’t want to celebrate. The other kids always had parties and balloons and presents, but Shaun celebrated with his grandparents around the dinner table. It was lame and he wasn’t inviting anybody. With the way things were going at his house nowadays, Jesse wouldn’t be thrilled to learn Shaun was officially over eighteen, anyway, unemployed and with no concrete plans to move out.

Life was generally improving, but even so, Shaun felt no excitement for the special day. He got up from the table and stalked to the door with a scowl on his face.

“Have a great day, son,” Eli called out jovially. “And say hi to Jesse for me.”

“And kiss sweet little Lissa on the cheek for me?” Ruth said wistfully, starting the water in the sink with a deep sigh. Ruth was obsessed with that baby. She couldn’t wait to see her again and Shaun cursed Jesse’s bitch of a mother every time Ruth mentioned her. His grandmother wasn’t the most pleasant of people, but she adored children. It was such a shame Monica couldn’t see past her own selfishness.

Shaun left the house to see it was another miserable, sun filled day. The humidity was killer, and he narrowed his eyes against the brilliant sunlight as he peered across the lawn. Monica’s van was gone, and the garage was open. All was clear and he jumped off the porch.

The grass separating his and Jesse’s house was teeming with bugs. They’d cut a rough path through the thicket with their constant back and forth but midway through, a grasshopper the size of a quarter landed on Shaun’s bare arm. He flicked it off, so it flew through the air at high speed.

As he approached the house, Sam came out of the garage pushing a mower.

“It’s about time you did something around here,” Shaun sneered, and Sam looked up in surprise.

“It’s new,” he muttered. “Mom and Cliff picked it up last weekend.”

“So, you’re in charge of lawncare?” Shaun drawled. “Congratulations, I guess this means you get to be the man in the relationship.”

“What?” Sam snickered as he bent down to open the gas tank.

“Jesse’s the one watching the kids all the time,” Shaun sneered. “You’re turning him into a little bitch.”

“Is that how you see it? He’s the bitch in the relationship?” Sam snorted.

“He’s the bitch in our relationship because he takes it up the ass,” Shaun said through his teeth.

Sam looked up with a raised eyebrow. “That’s bordering on homophobia.”

“Right.” Shaun barked a laugh.

Sam wandered back into the garage and returned with a tiny gas can. He poured it into the tank, then closed it up. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to get started. Mom’s paying me twenty bucks to do this.”

“Since when do you brats get an allowance?” Shaun frowned. “Jesse works for free.”

“He made a deal with my mom,” Sam said with a shrug. “He’s got to help her with the kids if he wants to stay. Or pay rent, I guess. I’m not going to feel guilty about it anymore.”

“He’s not even out of high school yet,” Shaun snapped. “What kind of fucking deal is that?”

Sam smiled meanly. “Didn’t he tell you yet?”

“Tell me what?”

“Jesse’s responsible for those kids in there, just as much as mom is,” Sam said, his smile widening. “I’m not getting stuck in the middle anymore. I’m allowed to go out and have fun if I want. I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Shaun bared his teeth. “What the fuck are you getting at?!”

“Tyler!”

Shaun and Sam turned for the house.

“Uh oh, sounds like he needs a hand,” Sam said with a chuckle. “I wish I could, but…” He gestured helplessly at the lawn mower. “Duty calls.”

Shaun scowled at him.

Sam pulled the starter rope. “See you later, lover boy.” He pulled the rope again and the mower started with a thundering roar. Sam tipped an imaginary hat and pushed the mower into the grass.

Shaun turned and strode for the house. He could still hear yelling from inside even over the rumble of the lawnmower and he forgot all about Sam as he opened the door.

“...you would push her like that?!” Jesse yelled from the carpet. He had Lissa, her face red and blotchy, cradled to his chest as she wailed with distress. “Look how upset she is!”

Tyler and Allison stood by the stairs with their heads down. “I didn’t mean to,” Tyler said timidly, playing with his grubby little hands. “It was an accident.”

“Yeah, Jesse,” Allison spoke up. “We’re sorry,”

“Nothing with you two is ever an accident,” Jesse muttered, then looked up and spotted Shaun in the door. Relief flooded his expression. “Oh, thank god.” He struggled to get up with one hand supporting the baby and the other caught on the pink and white knitted blanket on the floor. “Damn thing, get off me…”

Shaun rushed forward to help him. He hesitated for just a beat, then he took the screaming baby out of his arms.

Jesse shook the blanket off with a huff. “Thanks.” His face was flushed, and Shaun felt an enormous wave of guilt wash over him.

Jesse was stressed. It was all over his face. And Shaun was responsible for it. He’d picked music over a job flipping burgers and now that Defaced’s big debut was just days away, he felt like the pressure was mounting. Jesse was depending on him and he didn’t want to fail…

“Hey. Calm down, Lissa.” Shaun carried the baby to the couch and rested her against his chest. “It’s ok. There, there,” he murmured in a deep, rumbling voice.

Lissa looked up with her big tear-filled eyes, then curled a lock of Shaun’s hair around her finger and pulled it toward her mouth.

“Watch it, snot monster,” Shaun said sternly, then carefully extracted his hair from the baby’s grasp and let her hold his finger instead.

Lissa gave him a gummy smile.

Jesse pushed his fingers through his long, auburn hair as he watched the scene on the couch. Tyler fidgeted with something in his pocket and Jesse whirled around. “Alright you two. Upstairs.”

“Why?” Allison whined, but Tyler pulled an epic pout. He knew what was up.

“Because you’re going to sit in mom’s room and Tyler’s going to sit in the nursery. For an hour,” Jesse said sharply. “You’re both in time out.”

Tyler stomped his foot. “That’s not fair!”

“I don’t care if it’s fair or not. You hurt your little sister. Get upstairs.”

“I don’t want to!”

Jesse grabbed each child by the hand and dragged them to the stairs. “Go!”

Allison pounded up the stairs. The sound of the door slamming followed shortly after, but Tyler wouldn’t go. He went boneless and fell over as enormous crocodile tears streamed down his face. He cried loudly as Jesse scooped him off the floor and carried him up to the nursery. Shaun cringed as he listened to Jesse and his five-year-old brother bicker all the way.

Brian poked his head out of the kitchen. When he saw the coast was clear, he tip-toed across the room and climbed up on the couch beside Shaun.

“Hey,” Shaun said as Brian stroked the baby’s strawberry-blonde hair. “What happened?”

“The twins were chasing each other around the living room while me and Jesse tried to get Lissa to pull-up,” Brian said in a rush. “Then Tyler bumped into Lissa and knocked her over. I think she hit her head.”

“How’s she doing with the standing?” Shaun asked.

“Really good!” Brian said excitedly. “We had her standing for almost thirty seconds!”

Shaun nodded. Jesse had mentioned it in passing, but he hadn’t seen the baby try to stand yet. He tried to be here for Jesse and Brian as much as he could, but he was committed to getting a respectable setlist together. He’d spent the last month practicing as much as possible so they could start playing shows and making money as soon as possible. Jesse was getting more and more impatient to get away from his family and Shaun was determined to make that happen. He’d never played this hard in his life. His fingers had never been so sore.

Shaun took the baby away from his chest and sat her on his knee. Lissa looked back at him with curious brown eyes. She looked so tiny in his big, calloused hands. “Well,” Shaun said slowly. “She looks alright.”

Brian leaned into Lissa’s eyeline. “I don’t like the twins either, Lissa. We’ll keep them away from you. Don’t worry.”

Shaun ruffled Brian’s hair with a laugh. “Wish I’d had a big brother as cool as you.”

Brian beamed with pride as Jesse came wearily down the stairs. He looked up as the older boy shuffled across the room, then slumped onto the couch beside him.

Jesse buried his face in his hands. “I’m exhausted.”

“It was pretty quiet last night when I left,” Shaun said slowly. “Didn’t you get any sleep?”

No.”

Shaun tucked the baby under his chin as he settled in for the oncoming tale.

“At the stroke of midnight, that one starts crying,” Jesse said, gesturing to Lissa and Shaun rubbed her back soothingly. “She must have had a nightmare. I don’t know. But she was inconsolable for an entire hour. Woke the whole house up.”

Brian leaned into his side for comfort and Shaun understood, he felt the tension building on the other side of the couch. A cloud of negative energy hovered over Jesse’s head every time he was in this house.

“I couldn’t get the twins to get back in bed, so I brought them down here and turned on the TV,” Jesse said. “Brian was crying and upset. He wanted to get in bed with me, but how am I supposed to lay down when the twins are trying to play flashlight tag in the living room?”

“Er… I don’t know?”

“Well, let me tell you,” Jesse said with a big, manic grin. “You don’t lay down. You don’t get any sleep at all.”

Shaun sighed as Brian made a sound of distress and shrunk further into his side. The baby blew bubbles with her lips, oblivious. She was getting spit all over the front of Shaun’s vintage Rolling Stones tee.

“And then mom comes in the door at two in the morning. Drunk and pissed off because everyone’s still wide awake.” Jesse dropped his head. “We got in this big argument about who’s pulling their load. She says I’m not doing enough. She says I’m irresponsible and a terrible parent.”

“Pfft! Are you kidding me?”

Jesse sat up, his blue eyes going wide. “What?”

“She’s a total piece of trash, that’s why! You’re irresponsible? Pot calling the kettle black.”

“Oh.” Jesse relaxed. “Yeah. Right.”

“Where did she say she was going this morning?” Shaun bounced the baby in his lap as his level of agitation grew. “Another Wal-Mart run?”

“She said she was going back to the garden center.” Jesse rolled his eyes. “She wants some flowers to plant along the front walk.”

“When’s she going to have time to do that?” Shaun spat. Monica was never home anymore. Jesse was trapped in this house Monday through Friday. Sometimes, she came home before ten Friday night and Jesse could leave the house, but that was happening less and less.

“Cliff mentioned it,” Jesse said tightly. “He said the house could use a little curb appeal.”

Shaun snorted.

Upstairs, a door creaked open.

Jesse stood up. “That’s probably Tyler,” he said with a sigh, then started for the stairs. “I’ll be right back.”

“Hey, Brian. Could you spread that blanket on the floor for me?” Shaun asked as Jesse jogged upstairs.

Brian jumped off the couch and parachuted the tiny baby blanket. He giggled as it settled gently on the floor.

“Lay it flat,” Shaun instructed. “I’m going to sit her on the floor. Let’s see if we can get her to stand up again.”

“Okay!” Brian spread out the wrinkles and Shaun set Lissa on the blanket.

Jesse’s voice floated down the stairs. “What are you doing?”

“Going to the bathroom,” Tyler said snottily in reply. Shaun couldn’t even see the kid, but he grit his teeth in annoyance just the same.

“Alright, well, I’m going to be standing right here when you’re done,” Jesse said authoritatively. “So, don’t try anything.”

Tyler grumbled something in reply, but Shaun couldn’t hear what was said. It wasn’t important anyway; it was all bullshit. He did his best to forget about the argument upstairs and focused on the baby instead.

When Jesse came back down several minutes later, Shaun and Brian had coaxed Lissa into standing. She held onto the edge of the sofa with a single pudgy hand. Jesse knelt beside Shaun on the floor and kissed him on the cheek. Shaun looked at him in question.

“Having you two days in a row is like a dream come true,” Jesse said wistfully and Shaun turned to face him fully, studying his face as Brian chatted with Lissa. Jesse had tears in his eyes and Shaun felt his heart drop into his stomach. He stood up.

“Brian. Watch your sister. I have to talk to Jesse in the kitchen.”

Brian’s little expression was very serious. He nodded firmly and Shaun took Jesse’s hand and led him into the other room.

Jesse looked over his shoulder at the kids. He couldn’t let them out of his sight. Something inside him compelled him to look again every few seconds, just to assure himself they were alright.

“What’s up?” Shaun asked with a sigh. He already knew what was coming. He cupped Jesse’s cheek to draw his attention.

Jesse reluctantly met his gaze, his eyes shiny and wet. “I’m tired, Shaun. Nobody helps me anymore. Not my mom. Not my fucking brother…” A solitary tear tracked down his cheek. “I don’t know what to do,” he sniffled. “I told my mom I’m looking for jobs so I can move out and she said she’d toss my stuff on the lawn if I went to an interview.”

“I don’t even know why the fuck you’d say that to begin with,” Shaun huffed. “Fuck, Jesse…”

“Because I’m frustrated!” Jesse cried. “I just want somebody to help me!”

“We’ve talked about this,” Shaun growled. “Since your so adamant Brian comes along, we’ll have to make sure one of us is always available to watch him.”

Jesse nodded solemnly.

“So, once I start making steady money with the band we’ll find our own place, and you can get a little night-job to help out. We’ll switch off on the babysitting and schedule around my shows.”

“And that’s a great plan,” Jesse said with a deep sigh. “But I don’t think you have any idea how stressed I am. You’re here three times a week? For a couple hours? I’m here all day, every day. And I’m fucking losing it!”

“Well, antagonizing your mom obviously isn’t helping, so cut it out with the threats,” Shaun hissed. “Just hold on a little longer, Jesse. We’re playing our first show on Saturday and we’re getting paid. That’s not the end of it either.”

“Yeah.” Jesse gazed over his shoulder at the children, sighing.

“You don’t believe me, do you?” Shaun clenched his teeth. “You don’t think I can make this happen.”

“I believe you,” Jesse said simply, watching Brian and Lissa with a somber expression. “I’m just wondering if it’ll happen before mom breaks up with Cliff and sells the house.”

“Jesus Christ, our days are numbered.” Shaun rolled his eyes. “When’s the breakup happening? Before or after they plant the flowers along the walk?”

Jesse turned back with a pout. “You think I’m making this up?”

“I think you’re being dramatic,” Shaun spat. “I’ll never understand why you’re so obsessed with taking Brian with us when you’re sick to death of babysitting.”

Jesse continued to pout.

“I know you’re miserable but just try to be patient,” Shaun said through his teeth. “Let me get my shit together, and I promise, I’ll get you out of here as soon as I can.”

“I wish it would happen sooner,” Jesse grumbled.

“Well, if you’re trying to motivate me,” Shaun growled. “It’s working wonders.”

“Shaun…”

“I’m doing everything I can to make you happy,” Shaun hissed. “Everything but getting a fucking job.”

“I know you are,” Jesse whined. “But I don’t know how much longer I can stand this! It isn’t Brian and Lissa I’m talking about. If it were just them, it’d be another story.” He covered his face and took a deep breath. “I have to deal with the twin terrors. Every day. On my own.”

“I fucking hate your mother,” Shaun spat. “Those little brats are demon spawn.”

“I have to get away from her!” Jesse cried. “I’m so sick of being used all the time!”

“Goddammit, Jesse!” Shaun barked and Jesse sniffled pathetically in reply. Shaun ground his teeth and tried to reign in his anger. “I’m being selfish,” he said under his breath.

“What?” Jesse asked in a little voice.

“If I had a job right now, we’d already have an apartment,” Shaun said darkly. “Everything would be perfect and happy. Rainbows. Fireworks. Parades. The whole shebang.”

“Alright, just—”

“I’m being selfish!” Shaun spat. “You’re suffering because of it!”

“You’re not being selfish.” Jesse looked worriedly over his shoulder at the children again and Shaun growled deep in his throat. Jesse spun back with a start.

“Don’t fucking placate me,” Shaun spat. “I’m being selfish and your miserable because—”

“Because my mom took the kids out of daycare!” Jesse yelled. “She’s never done that before. She usually tries to send everyone to summer camp or something. I get to sleep in, and nobody harasses me to babysit… This summer though.” Jesse shook his head. “Did you notice? Mom bought a whole new wardrobe. Work clothes, casual stuff, a new set of heels. I saw her in a fancy negligee the other morning.”

Shaun shrugged. He’d been avoiding Monica like the plague. Every time he saw her, he was filled with a white-hot rage. She was so fucking irresponsible. He was dying to give her a piece of his mind.

“She got her hair done last week and has an appointment at the nail salon tomorrow. She got new jewelry and a couple handbags on Amazon. She’s doing all this stupid research about curb appeal…She’s trying to impress Cliff. At our expense,” Jesse bitched. “We’ve been cooped up in this fucking house all month long. She takes the van first thing in the morning and leaves us here with nothing to do, then Sam’s out the door minutes later. I’m always on my own,” he said sadly. “You’re the only one I have, Shaun. Don’t feel guilty, okay? I’m so glad you’re here.”

“We wouldn’t even be here if I wasn’t such a loser,” Shaun said bitterly.

Jesse pinched the bridge of his nose. “I don’t want to argue with you, Shaun. I just want a solution.”

“All I have to do is win over a huge crowd of rowdy, drunken metal fans Saturday night,” Shaun said sweetly. “Then we’ll be getting gigs left and right. No big deal. I’m always so fucking popular.”

“I’m leaving,” Jesse said briskly, then whirled for the living room.

“Fuck you, Jesse,” Shaun hissed. He was angry with him, with Monica, with Sam, but mostly with himself. “Don’t you fucking walk away from me!

Jesse stiffened with his back turned. “Please don’t curse in front of the kids. All of them have been using the F word lately. I think it’s the TV.”

“Fuck that.” Shaun stepped into the doorway and clenched his hands into tight fists at his side. He kept telling himself he was doing this for Jesse — writing songs fervently into the night, playing until his fingers bled, practicing the same song with the band over and over until it was perfect — and he was. He knew he could give Jesse anything he could ever want if he could reach the top, but that wasn’t why he was doing it. Shaun wanted Jesse to be happy, but he wanted to follow his dreams even more and when he thought about how selfish he was being, he fucking hated himself. “I’m fucking sick of kids hour, Jesse. The goddamn censor’s off.”

“Shaun, please…” Jesse crouched protectively over Brian and Lissa as the two young children looked around his slender body.

“Do you know how much fucking pressure I’m under to make this debut absolutely perfect?” Shaun asked, his voice growing louder as he continued. “You’re tired? You’re stressed? All you have to do is sit here on your sweet ass and wait. I’ll fucking make this happen, Jesse. Just give me a minute! Fuck! I just started my band two months ago!”

“I know.” Jesse peeked over his shoulder. “I trust you."

“No, you don’t!” Shaun screamed and the children flinched, Lissa began to cry, and Shaun saw red. “Motherfucker!” He slammed his fist into the wall and the drywall gave like cardboard. “Fuck!” He dropped his hand the second he realized what he’d done.

“Did you just put a hole in the wall?” Jesse stepped away from the kids.

“Yes!” Shaun threw his hands up. The wall was dented next to the doorframe. The plaster was spiderwebbed from the impression of his knuckles. “I can’t believe…motherfucking shit!

Jesse pursed his lips. “Shaun…language.”

“Fuck! Alright!” Shaun crossed his arms and hugged himself tightly. “No cursing… Gotcha. That’ll be easy-peasy.

Brian snorted in amusement, then covered his mouth right after and glanced at Shaun in a panic.

Shaun took a deep breath and felt his anger drain away. He took another look at the hole and sighed. “Shit.”

Jesse edged into the kitchen and turned to assess the damage. “Wow.”

“I’ll get grandpa to fix it,” Shaun grumbled. “He can patch a hole in five seconds.”

“How do you know that?” Jesse smiled.

“I’m sure you can imagine.”

Jesse looked down at Shaun’s hand. “How are you?”

Shaun flexed his right hand a few times. It wasn’t broken anymore, but his pinky finger wasn’t as straight as it used to be. “I pulled the punch at the last second. Sorry. It didn’t help the wall any.”

“Oh, Shaun…”

When Shaun called home to get Eli on the case, Ruth jumped on the phone.

“What’s going on?”

“I put a hole in Jesse’s wall,” Shaun grumbled.

“You did what?!”

“Tell grandpa to grab some drywall and to get over here,” Shaun barked. “Now.”

“You’ve got one hell of a nerve, boy,” Ruth snarled, and Shaun hung up on her. He wasn’t in the mood to be chastised.

The grandparents showed up twenty minutes later and Ruth barged in first. “Where’s that little baby?” she insisted as she muscled into the front room, Eli hot on her heels with a little toolbox and a board of drywall under his arm.

Shaun turned to his grandfather in a rage. “Why did you bring her?!”

“I’m sorry, son.” Eli leaned the board of drywall against the doorjamb. “I couldn’t get her to stay home. She wanted to see the damage for herself.”

“You’re a monster. Putting holes in walls?” Ruth snarled as she rounded the couch. “When are you going to grow up and learn some respect?”

Shaun opened his mouth, a nasty retort on the tip of his tongue, when Jesse stood from the couch and handed Ruth the baby. Her expression turned in an instant. Lissa reached out for her and the harsh lines on Ruth’s face relaxed and her sharp mouth softened into a smile.

“Aww, what a little sweetheart,” Ruth cooed. “I haven’t seen you in a while. Do you remember your auntie Ruth?”

Lissa smiled and chewed her gums excitedly.

“She’s starting to take her first steps,” Jesse said.

“How exciting.” Ruth bounced the baby against her chest. “You’ll be running before we know it!”

Shaun rolled his eyes. “You wanted to see the baby. Admit it.”

“Of course, I wanted to see the baby,” Ruth muttered, her eyes locked on Lissa. “I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to hold such a sweet little thing. Oooh, what a cutie!” She tickled Lissa’s chin and the baby giggled.

Shaun grabbed the drywall with a scowl. “C’mon, grandpa.”

In the next room, Brian was hiding under the table. He crawled beneath the chair and clutched the legs when they stepped through to assess the wall.

“Hey there, little guy.” Eli waggled his fingers at the toddler. “What are you doing under there?”

“Watching,” Brian whispered.

“You’ll be able to see better if you come out from under the table,” Eli said with a chuckle. “Maybe you could help us out?”

Brian crawled out with a cautious smile and came to stand next to Shaun. He grabbed his hand and looked shyly up at Eli from under the fall of his blond hair.

Eli beamed at the pair. “I see you and my grandson are getting along.”

“He’s my best friend,” Brian said immediately.

Eli looked up with a twinkle in his eye, but Shaun resolutely avoided his gaze.

“He’s kind of scary sometimes,” Brian said and Shaun mentally face-palmed while Eli let out another chuckle. “But he knows all the best movies and songs and he’s really good on the guitar. He plays with me and lets me sit in his lap, too.”

“Shaun’s pretty cool, isn’t he?”

“Yeah!”

“I think so, too,” Eli said in a stage whisper.

Brian giggled.

Christ.” Shaun’s face was bright red.

“Alright, let’s see the damage.” Ruth bustled into the kitchen with Lissa in her arms, Jesse trailing after. She turned to look at the hole in the wall, then laid a hand on her chest. “Oh my god.”

“It’s not that bad,” Eli said, then set his toolbox down and took out a pencil, a utility knife, and a tape measurer. “Remember when he kicked down the front door?” he chuckled.

“Everything had to be replaced,” Ruth said darkly. “The door, the jamb, the locks.” She looked sharply in Shaun’s direction, her eyes narrowing. “Children have tantrums. You are a delinquent.”

Shaun tore his hand out of Brian’s and aggressively flicked her off. “Fuck you, bitch!”

“If you continue to lash out and give in to your impulses, you’ll wind up in jail or worse,” Ruth hissed.

“Worse? What could possibly be worse than living with you day in and day out,” Shaun sneered.

“You are so naïve,” Ruth muttered.

“And you’re fucking senile,” Shaun bared his teeth. “Only thing that’ll fix that is death.”

Ruth glared at him hatefully as the baby wiggled in her arms and babbled unhappily.

Jesse stepped between Shaun and the old woman. “Ruth?”

“What?”

“Maybe we should give them a chance to fix the wall,” Jesse suggested. “Let’s see if we can get Lissa to stand up. She can use the couch in the living room to pull up.”

“Good idea.” Ruth nodded shortly. “I can’t even look at my grandson right now I’m so disgusted with him.” She turned on her heel and drifted out of the room. Jesse shot Shaun an apologetic look and followed her.

I hate her,” Shaun growled.

“Be nice, Shaun,” Eli said, but he didn’t sound overly bothered. He was used to Shaun’s unpleasantness.

Shaun yanked the nearest chair out from under the table and sat with a huff. “Just hurry up and patch the wall already. He dropped his elbows on the table and propped his chin in his hand. “Then take grandma home. I don’t want her here.”

“Have some patience, son,” Eli said jovially. “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

Shaun growled mutinously under his breath.

Eli went about measuring the hole in the wall, then marked his cut lines on the drywall. He held the board precariously between his knees as he cut out a 5X5 square with the knife. “Have you ever seen a patch job before?” he asked Brian.

The toddler watched with fascination. “No.”

“When I’m all done, this will look brand new,” Eli explained, gesturing to the wall. “Well, except the color. I don’t have any off-white paint to finish it off. But the hole will be gone. And your momma can buy some touch-up paint at the hardware store.”

“Cool.”

Eli took his square of drywall and traced it over the hole, then used the knife to cut the broken pieces of wall away. “Alright, now I’ve got to put in a support beam.” He pulled a handful of screws out of his pocket. “Can you hold onto these for me Brian?”

“Sure.” Brian stepped up to accept the handful of silver drywall screws and jingled them merrily in his hand.

Eli pushed the paint stick into the hole, so it lay flush against the wall with the stick vertically bisecting the middle, then he took out his drill. “Can I have a screw, please?”

Brian handed him a silver screw and Eli lined it up above the hole so it would secure the stick to the wall. He drilled it in, then added a second beneath the hole, then fit the square of drywall over the stick so it lay flush against the existing wall.

“Another screw, please,” Eli chirped.

“Wow, it looks better already,” Brian said as he handed Eli another screw.

Eli put it through the middle of the replacement drywall, so it caught the paint stick and wouldn’t fall out. “Now, we add joint compound,” he said. “Would you like to try?”

“What’s joint compound?”

“White putty that will dry and get hard like the wall. It’ll cover the screws and make everything smooth.” Eli pulled a little white tube out of the toolbox, then a putty knife. “Let me get you a chair.”

Shaun glared at the old man when he came to take the chair beside him. “Is that a good idea?” he grumbled. “I want it to look good. Monica will give Jesse hell if she notices.”

“She’s going to see either way,” Eli said. “I don’t have any paint.”

“Can’t you go buy some?” Shaun whined. “She’s threatening to kick him out and shit.”

“Kick him out?” Eli frowned. “Whatever for?”

“Because Jesse’s sick of babysitting,” Shaun hissed. “These little brats are driving him crazy.”

Eli quirked an eyebrow. “Lissa and Brian?”

“No,” Shaun huffed. “The twins.”

Eli carried the chair back to the wall where Brian was waving the putty knife like a sword. He gently took the tool from the toddler then helped him climb up on the chair. “Where are the little terrors anyway?”

“Upstairs. In timeout,” Shaun sneered.

Eli chuckled again. “Now, Brian,” he said, turning his attention back to the toddler. “I’m going to put some putty on your knife, and I need you to smear it over the patch here.” He squirted some putty on the end of Brian’s knife. “Lay it on thick so everything’s hidden.”

“Ooooh! It’s sticky!” Brian cried as he touched the paste experimentally with a fingertip.

“Use the knife. Don’t get it all over yourself now,” Eli said. “Your mother wouldn’t like it if you ruined your nice red t-shirt.”

“It’s a hand-me-down.” Brian shrugged, then, with a big grin on his face, he splattered the putty against the wall with enthusiasm. “Ewww!” He spread the white plaster over the patch, thick and uneven, like peanut butter on toast.

“You know,” Eli said to Shaun as Brian continued to work. “I’m surprised you haven’t thought to ask your grandma for help.”

“Help?” Shaun scowled. “With?”

“With the kids,” Eli said.

“Monica doesn’t want grandma watching her precious little babies,” Shaun said bitterly.

“Yeah, but,” Eli lowered his voice. “Jesse’s mother’s never actually home. Is she?”

“What are you suggesting?”

Eli clasped Brian on the shoulder. “I think that’s enough, son. Let me finish up.”

“Aww.” Brian gave the knife back and hopped down. “That was fun.”

Eli squeezed his shoulder. “Thanks for the help, little man.”

“Welcome!” Brian beamed. “I’m a good helper.”

“You are,” Eli said. “Why don’t you see if your brother needs any help in the other room. Tell them we’re just about finished.”

“Okay!” Brian scampered out of the room.

Eli quickly finished up the wall. He spread the putty around with the knife until it was thin and even. “If Jesse needs some time off, maybe you two should talk to your grandmother. I have a feeling she’d be willing to set something up. You know how much she loves kids.”

“Yeah, well, the one’s upstairs are little hellions,” Shaun spat. “They aren’t cute and well-mannered like Brian and the baby.”

“Even better,” Eli chuckled. “The only thing Ruth loves more than children is yelling.”

“Yeah,” Shaun snorted. “I guess.”

“Is that the reason you haven’t invited Jesse to your birthday dinner?” Eli asked as he stole a couple sheets of paper towel off the roll by the fridge and cleaned his putty knife. “Because he’s babysitting again?”

“I don’t want him coming to my party.” Shaun gnashed his teeth. “AndI don’t want him to know it’s my fucking birthday, either, so drop it.”

“It’s your birthday? “Jesse stood in the door with a look of utter devastation on his face. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Uhh…” The heavy chair screeched across the linoleum as Shaun stood with a start. “It’s not,” he said dumbly, then glanced at Eli, but the old man looked just as surprised to see the redhead in the doorway.

“Then why did you just say it was?” Jesse asked as Brian appeared behind him.

“Look, Jess.” He pointed at the wall. “It’s almost perfect.”

“Uh-huh,” Jesse muttered, but he didn’t look. He folded his arms and glared at Shaun.

Ruth brushed past Jesse with the baby over her shoulder, then turned and looked carefully at the wall. “You’re lucky your grandfather’s so handy,” she said slowly.

“We need to buy paint,” Shaun grunted.

“Only if you’re paying for it,” Ruth said.

Shaun made a face.

“Ruth?” Jesse started and Shaun growled low in the back of his throat, but Jesse ignored him. “Is it Shaun’s birthday? He won’t tell me.”

Ruth studied the angry look on Shaun’s face. “We’re celebrating tomorrow, but he was born on the fifth.”

Shaun kicked his chair. “Fuck!”

“Shaun!” Ruth snapped. “Control yourself!”

“Why did you tell him!”

Ruth glared at Shaun as she continued. “He’s got some stupid band thing on Saturday otherwise we’d celebrate on the day. But I’m sure you know about that.”

“Yeah,” Jesse grumbled. “But he never mentioned it was his birthday.”

“Must have slipped his mind,” Ruth said. “You’re invited, of course.”

Jesse’s face fell. “I’ll be busy with the kids. Like always.”

“Bring them with you,” Ruth said. “The more the merrier. It’s a party after all.”

Shaun viciously shook his head.

“Enough with the pity party,” Ruth snapped, planting her hands on her hips. “Not once have you ever had a friend to one of your birthday dinners. It’s time for that to change.”

“That’s not fucking up to you!

“You’re embarrassed, aren’t you?” Ruth hissed.

“Goddammit, grandma!”

Ruth pursed her lips. “Well, the cat’s out of the bag. You can thank me later.” She whirled around and swept out of the room, then pulled to a stop. “Oh. Well, hello.”

Tyler stood in the middle of the room. Shaun could see him over his grandma’s shoulder. “Who are you?”

Shaun made another furious noise and squeezed past his grandma. “Goddamn fucking brats…

Tyler and Ruth were glaring at each other. “I’m your next-door neighbor,” Ruth said sharply, patting Lissa’s back in a rhythmic pattern. “And you can call me Auntie Ruth.”

“No thanks. You’re not my aunt,” Tyler said, his lip curling with defiance.

“Have some respect,” Shaun growled at the five-year-old. “She’s my grandma.”

“I don’t have to listen to you,” Tyler sneered.

“What makes you say that?” Shaun hissed. “Do you think your mommy’s going to save you?”

Tyler crossed his little arms over his chest with a scowl.

“Your fucking mommy isn’t here,” Shaun jeered. “And she doesn’t give a shit about you either!”

“Shaun!” Ruth struck him across the face. “That’s enough!”

Shaun straightened, touching his stinging cheek as his eyes narrowed into slits.

Jesse stepped cautiously into the room, glanced at Shaun, stiff with anger, then turned to his little brother. “What are you doing down here? You’re supposed to be in time-out.”

“You said time-out was over at 11:30,” Tyler said. “It’s almost noon.”

Jesse wiped a hand over his face. “I guess I did say that.”

Shaun desperately sought out Jesse’s eyes. “I have to get away from my fucking grandma. Now.”

Ruth chuckled darkly. “Little old me?”

Shaun ground his teeth together.

“Go to my room,” Jesse said exasperatedly. “We need to talk.”

Shaun didn’t like the sound of that, but he flew for the stairs and reached Jesse’s cluttered bedroom in a heartbeat. He shut the door behind him and moved to the bed where he sank to the floor and sat on his butt in front of Jesse’s little TV.

“Fuck,” he said into the silence. He hadn’t felt this unglued in a while. He’d put a hole in the wall, cussed out his grandma, multiple times, and insulted a five-year-old. His cheek still stung from Ruth’s answering slap. She had big, powerful hands. They resembled Shaun’s in a lot of ways…

Shaun sat in silence for some time, picking at an almost healed scab along his inner arm. He wished he had something sharp as he sat listening to the muted conversation downstairs. He heard Jesse calling Allison down at one point, but he couldn’t make out anything else. Eventually, the front door opened and shut, and the house went still and quiet. Shaun strained his ears, but he couldn’t hear the kids.

The bedroom door opened, and Jesse stepped into the room. “Hey.”

Shaun looked up solemnly. “Did grandma leave?”

“Yes.” Jesse sat on his knees next to Shaun. “We’re alone. The kids are gone, and Sam left with Kyle over an hour ago.” He smiled faintly. “The lawn looks like shit.”

Shaun quirked an eyebrow. “Where are the kids?”

“Your grandma’s watching them,” Jesse gushed. “I told her everything. I told her about mom and the boyfriends and the constant moving, and she offered to help.”

“She took pity on you?”

“I guess,” Jesse said. “But I need the help. I don’t care how I get it.”

Shaun grunted.

“I don’t have to pick them up until after dinner,” Jesse said dreamily. “I don’t have to cook tonight.”

“Good for you,” Shaun grumbled.

Jesse frowned. “I thought you’d be happier. Maybe I won’t be so stressed all the time if I can get a break now and then.”

“Just what I wanted, a bunch of little kids poking through my room when I’m not home,” Shaun sneered.

Jesse laughed. “I think your grandma knows better than to let people in your mancave.”

Shaun rolled his eyes.

“So.” Jesse turned to face him fully and Shaun tensed in anticipation. “Why didn’t you tell me about your birthday?”

Shaun sighed. “I thought you’d be pissed.”

“Because it’s your birthday?” Jesse tisked. “Wow, you must have a really low opinion of me.”

“I’m not making you happy,” Shaun said bitterly. “Why the hell would you want to celebrate my fucking birthday. I don’t deserve it.”

“What are you talking about? You’re the only thing that’s making this bearable. If my mom hadn’t taken everybody out of daycare, I wouldn’t be half as miserable,” Jesse said.

“Yeah…” Shaun muttered.

“And you don’t have to deserve a birthday,” Jesse said gently. “Everything you just said is messed up.”

“I’m not in the mood for this shit.” Shaun dropped his head, so his dark hair fell into his eyes. “I just don’t want to celebrate.”

Jesse lifted his chin. “Look at me.”

Shaun muttered unhappily, but he raised his head and looked warily into Jesse’s sparkling blue eyes.

“I didn’t get you anything,” Jesse said with a smile. “You okay with birthday sex?”

“Is it different from normal sex?” Shaun grumbled.

“Of course. It’s your birthday. You get to ask for whatever you want.” Jesse waggled his eyebrows. “Any crazy fantasies you’ve been dying to live out?”

An image flashed through Shaun’s mind. There was a long, thin knife in his hand, and he lowered the gleaming blade to slice Jesse’s delicate flesh… “Not really,” he muttered, then looked away uncomfortably.

Jesse poked him in the ribs. It tickled and Shaun jerked away in response. “Could you try to get excited about something normal. Like your birthday?”

Shaun shrugged. “Another day older, another day closer to the grave.”

“Oh my god, call the crypt keeper! He’s turning nineteen in two days!”

Shaun rolled his eyes.

“Seriously, baby.” Jesse slipped into Shaun’s lap and wound his arms around his neck. “You have to cheer up.”

Shaun pulled a face.

“When your grandma said she’d take the kids for a few hours, I was so relieved...I gave her a huge hug,” Jesse said, snuggling into Shaun’s chest for effect.

Shaun tilted away with annoyance. The next time he saw her, Ruth would be so damned proud of herself, he would never hear the end of it.

Jesse kissed Shaun’s stubbly cheek. “Your grandpa went into town. To get paint for the kitchen.”

Shaun grumbled in reply.

“He said he’d be back in a couple hours.” Jesse pushed Shaun’s hair behind his ear and kissed him again. “We have time. Maybe I could give you your present early?”

He sounded so damned hopeful; Shaun hated to turn him down. “I’m really not in the mood, Jess…”

Jesse slid out of his lap with a dejected look on his face.

“Don’t give me that look,” Shaun growled.

“What kind of look should I give you?” Jesse asked. “I finally get a break and you’re upset.”

“I’m not fucking upset!” Shaun snapped. “I just— I don’t…I don’t want to celebrate before the show,” he said crossly. “But my stupid grandparents insisted on having the party before we leave tomorrow. They said they had a surprise for me,” he grumbled.

“Maybe it’s a new guitar,” Jesse said.

“No. They would have asked me to pick it out,” Shaun said. “Grandpa knows better than to randomly pick something off the shelf.”

“Maybe it’s a lot of money,” Jesse said excitedly. “Do they know we’re trying to move out?”

Shaun chuckled. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

“Can’t blame a guy for trying.”

“I don’t want to do this birthday crap, Jesse,” Shaun spat. “I’ve got bigger things to worry about. Like the show….” he muttered. “I’m afraid I’ll fuck up on stage and look like a total jackass.”

Jesse bit his lip. “Have you ever fucked up before?”

“No. But I’ve never fronted a band before either.”

Jesse smiled at him. “I have faith in you.”

“The fuck you do…” Shaun muttered darkly.

Jesse sighed. “I’m stressed with the kids.”

“I know.”

“I’m stressed and I’m taking it out on you,” Jesse said softly. “I’m the one that’s being selfish.”

“Pfft.” Shaun rolled his eyes.

“No, really,” Jesse said, then he touched Shaun’s knee with a gentle pressure. “I know you want to concentrate on the music. I understand the pressure you’re under.”

Shaun glared at his hand.

“Let’s forget about all this bullshit,” Jesse said. “We so need to get away from everybody this weekend.”

“You’re sooo right!” Shaun mocked him. “Did you check with your mom about tomorrow? Does she know you’re leaving Friday night instead of Saturday?”

Jesse’s expression went blank. “I haven’t found a good time to tell her yet.”

“I knew it,” Shaun growled. “You pussed out.”

“I’ll do it tonight!” Jesse said quickly. “Don’t worry about it. I’m coming.”

“Either way, Gretchen’s crashing at Ben’s all weekend. Same as us,” Shaun said, his lip curling. “And I already told you that. I don’t know how you think we’re going to ‘get away’ from everybody.”

Jesse chewed his lip. “We’ll find some time alone.”

Shaun shook Jesse’s hand off his leg. “This weekend is going to suck.”

“Don’t say that,” Jesse said. “This could be the best weekend of your life for all you know.”

Shaun crossed his arms.

“Alright, Shaun,” Jesse sighed, then turned away to look for the remote. “Make yourself miserable. I swear, that’s your favorite thing in the whole world.”

Shaun drew his shoulders into himself.

Jesse muttered unhappily as he turned the TV on and randomly flipped through the channels. “What do you want to watch? Another blood fest?”

Shaun snatched the remote and tossed it aside.

Jesse raised an eyebrow.

Shaun felt his cheeks getting hot and he grabbed the front of Jesse’s shirt before he could think better of it. He pushed Jesse down to the floor.

Jesse blinked up at him in surprise. “What are you doing?”

“Having sex with you.” Shaun felt like a big, awkward monkey as he skimmed his fingers along Jesse’s arm. The flesh was soft and warm under his calloused fingertips and he drew back, ashamed of himself. He was sullying Jesse’s smooth, unblemished skin…

Jesse wrapped a hand around the back of Shaun’s neck and gazed into his eyes. He drew him closer and their lips met in a warm, insistent press that sent a jolt of pleasure straight to Shaun’s cock.

All of his hesitation melted away as the kiss deepened, and he settled on top of Jesse’s welcoming body with a sigh. His erection pulsed with need as he slid his tongue past Jesse’s lips and explored the inside of his hot mouth.

Jesse rolled his hips into Shaun’s. He was hard, too, and he groaned with unspoken need. “Fuck me, Shaun…

Shaun broke away from the kiss to hurriedly undo his fly. He worked his jeans down and wiggled out of them, his cock springing free of its constraints. The fat length visibly pulsed with need.

Jesse unconsciously licked his wet, kiss-swollen lips as he studied the length bobbing before him.

Shaun ripped his t-shirt over his head to finish the deed, then loomed over Jesse, naked and unembarrassed as Jesse’s eyes roamed the flat planes of his muscled chest and stomach before drifting back to Shaun’s straining member, heavy and full between his thighs. Jesse couldn’t look away from Shaun’s cock and Shaun wiggled his hips, so his fat dick danced in the air. “Quit staring,” he grunted, then tugged on the edge of Jesse’s t-shirt. “Take this shit off.”

Jesse sat up dazedly and pulled off his shirt, then he laid back and arched his hips as he worked on the fastenings.

Shaun watched him for a moment, then sat back on his knees and yanked Jesse’s bottoms off in a single, almighty pull.

Jesse gasped as his naked butt hit the hardwood. He looked up at Shaun with lust written all over his face, bare and exposed on the floor.

Shaun drank in the sight of him. He was absolutely perfect… He slid his arms under Jesse’s thighs and hauled him into his lap, so his little round butt rested against his groin. Their cocks bumped together, and Shaun gathered them in his hand.

Jesse tipped his head back. “Shaun…”

Shaun tightened his grip and stroked their lengths as one. The rough quality of his fingertips was an interesting texture and Jesse squirmed in his lap and arched into Shaun’s big, strong hand so he could get more. Shaun flexed his long fingers and alternated the pressure, then added a second hand to work their cockheads.

Jesse licked his bottom lip as he made delicious sounds. He stretched his arms over his head with a long sigh of pleasure and moved his hips in a slow, subtle motion, back and forth.

Shaun’s mouth watered. “Where’s the lube?”

“In my underwear drawer...”

Jesse’s cock pulsed strongly against his shaft and Shaun pumped his fist a few more times. A tiny bead of precome bubbled from the tip of Jesse’s cock and Shaun smeared it around Jesse’s sensitive little piss hole with his thumb.

Guh,” Jesse gasped, his eyes fluttering open. “Get the lube, Shaun…”

Shaun released him and stood up. He opened the top drawer of Jesse’s dresser and rifled through his tighty-whities. The tube of KY was tucked in the corner.

When he came back to the bed, he stood over Jesse, gazing appreciatively at his slender body.

Jesse met his eyes as he pointed his cute toes. He ran them along Shaun’s calf. “Coming?” he murmured, then arched his back so his hard cock flopped back on his belly.

Shaun watched it twitch with anticipation. “Definitely,” he said in a deep voice, then he reached up to grab one of the pillows off the top bunk. He sank to his knees between Jesse’s legs, then urged his hips off the floor and worked the pillow under his bottom.

Jesse moaned with approval as he laid back with his ass elevated. He trailed his foot along Shaun’s side and watched with hooded eyes as he opened the lube with his teeth.

Shaun poured a good amount on his fingers then tossed it aside. He pushed Jesse’s legs apart and trailed his slippery fingers along his inner thigh and then down to his silky ball sack. The sensitive organ was pulled tight to his body and Shaun played with it for a moment, leaving the sack shiny with lube. Then he moved on to Jesse’s pink hole. Shaun ran his fingers around the wrinkled little opening and it winked at him coyly in response.

“Oh!” Jesse eagerly drew his legs up as Shaun pressed down and rubbed his hungry opening with intent. Shaun added some more pressure and slowly, his fingers slid into Jesse’s tight heat. “Ooooh…” Jesse moaned. “That feels nice.”

Shaun fucked him steadily with two fingers, pushing them deep into Jesse’s anal passage. He didn’t need to be fingered long if they had proper lube, but Shaun liked the soft noises of pleasure Jesse made when he was being stretched.

Jesse closed his eyes and totally relaxed as he was penetrated. He took his cock in hand and masturbated himself in time with Shaun’s fingers plunging in and out of his anus.

Shaun started to chew his lip. He was anxious to bury his cock in Jesse’s clenching hole, but he wanted him right on the edge before he did. He curled his fingers and searched for Jesse’s secret button. His prostate. He found the firm nodule immediately and pressed down.

Jesse groaned low in the back of his throat as his hand sped up on his cock. His mouth was open and wet, and he sloppily licked his lips as he pushed back and bore down on Shaun’s fingers.

Shaun’s cock lurched as he withdrew his fingers. He slicked himself with lube, then slipped Jesse’s leg over his shoulder and leaned into him, supporting his chest against the back of Jesse’s thigh. He rubbed his slippery cockhead against Jesse’s entrance and slowly worked it inside.

Jesse came with a yell as Shaun pushed into his body. His ass clenched down around Shaun’s big dick as he explosively released his seed.

Shaun grit his teeth as Jesse’s channel, flame-hot, tight, and greasy with lube strangled his dick. It felt wonderful, though, and Shaun gingerly thrust his hips, experimenting with Jesse’s reaction.

Jesse’s mouth fell open and his spent cock twitched between their bodies. “Oooooh God…”

Shaun took that as permission. He smirked as he began to pump his hips and briskly picked up his speed until he was fucking Jesse hard.

Jesse cried out and clamped down on Shaun’s dick when his prostate was stimulated. Slowly, his cock perked up again and bounced energetically against his come-stained belly. Shaun leaned hard into his raised thigh as he drove his hips into him over and over.

Jesse hitched his other leg over Shaun’s shoulder and grabbed the backs of his knees as he spread himself wider. “Yesss.” He threw his head back as Shaun bottomed out with a loud slap of their hips, then pushed aggressively to bury his cock another inch deeper.

“You like that?” Shaun asked with a breathless sound of amusement. He pulled out then slammed in a second time, grinding his hips into Jesse’s with force.

Uuhhh…Uhhaa…” Jesse’s eyes rolled up in his head.

Shaun grinned wickedly then rocked his cock in and out, going slow, getting Jesse accustomed to the rhythm, then he pulled out completely and stabbed his cock into Jesse’s open, unsuspecting hole.

Ahh! Fuck!

Shaun pumped his hips at a nice, easy pace. He pulled back and watched his cock slide in and out of Jesse’s tight, pink asshole. He fucked him like that for some time, enjoying the view.

Jesse held himself open and moaned deliciously as he squirmed on Shaun’s dick like a whore in heat. His face was flushed with need, his cock leaked clear fluids onto his already stained belly, and his fingertips, on the backs of his knees, were white from strain.

Shaun’s cock throbbed inside Jesse’s hot, spasming body and he curled over him, forcing his knees into his chest, so he could capture Jesse’s bottom lip. Jesse gasped and teased him with the tip of his tongue and Shaun growled and chased it back into his mouth. He collapsed on top of him and drew Jesse’s eager tongue into his mouth, sucking the wet muscle for all he was worth.

“Mmm!” Jesse cried into Shaun’s mouth. He slid his legs around Shaun’s middle, urging him closer, deeper...

Shaun buried his face in Jesse’s throat. He had a hand planted on the floor, right beside Jesse’s soft, auburn head and he flexed his fingers as he plunged deep into his body. He couldn’t do the same long strokes at this angle, but he drove his cock into Jesse with powerful hip thrusts. His ab muscles burned and sweat beaded along his hairline as he worked. He was practically doing push-ups.

Jesse wrapped his arms around Shaun’s neck and held on. His twitching, eager cock was pressed firmly between them and Shaun could feel his shaft sliding wetly against his scarred belly. Jesse grunted in time with Shaun’s brutal thrusts, his breath erratic against Shaun’s cheek...he was close. He let out a strangled cry and his ass clenched down around Shaun’s cock like a vice.

Shaun’s heart was pounding in his ears…He desperately wanted to come. He sat up, took Jesse’s ankles, one in each hand, and forced his legs up and then back. Jesse groaned as his butt came off the pillow and he was folded in half. Shaun crouched over him, angled his cock for Jesse’s prostate and pounded his slippery hole with abandon.

Jesse screamed and his body tensed as a second orgasm was ripped from him. He grabbed blindly for something to hold onto and came across the bundle of his clothes. He balled the faded blue jeans in his fist as spurt after spurt of semen sprayed across Shaun’s midsection.

Shaun jackknifed his cock several more times, grunting with each harsh stroke, until finally, he came with a deep, rumbling growl.

Jesse pulled Shaun down on top of him as he shook in the aftermath. He sighed and gently stroked his fingers through Shaun’s dark locks.

Shaun rested his head on Jesse’s chest and stretched his legs out behind him. He could feel the other boy’s heart beating against his cheek and it reminded him of Gretchen’s drums…his mind flashed to the band, and he started to think about the show in two days. He sat up with a groan.

Jesse was right behind him. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Shaun muttered. He didn’t want to talk about it.

Jesse started to collect his clothes. “I’m gonna jump in the shower. Are you okay on your own?”

Shaun nodded as he glanced at the TV. Breaking Bad was on.

“Your grandpa will be back with the paint.” Jesse got up with his clothes in his arms. “You should put something on.”

“Like I was going to sit here stark naked…” Shaun muttered as Jesse left the room. He got absorbed in the TV show as he dressed, and he took a seat as the shower started down the hall to wait. Jesse joined him ten minutes later, damp and smelling like apples, and they finished the episode together.

They got through two more before their hormones got the better of them. Shaun had Jesse pinned to the floor, and they were in the middle of a passionate make out session when loud knocking came from downstairs. “Fuck! What time is it?” Shaun growled.

“It must be dinnertime,” Jesse moaned. “That’s definitely your grandpa.”

The knocking started a second time. “Shit!

“Think he’ll get the hint if we ignore him long enough?”

“Grandpa?” Shaun sat up with a scowl. “He’ll probably get the ladder and peek in the window.”

Jesse laughed as he got up to fix his appearance in the mirror. He had a sizable bulge in his pants and he awkwardly pulled his shirt over it. “I better let him in.”

Shaun huffed as Jesse left the room. He took a moment to compose himself, then grumpily trailed Jesse downstairs. He found Jesse and Eli in the kitchen and stopped in the doorway to glare at the old man. “You couldn’t have picked a worse time to show up.”

Eli raised his eyebrows as he set a tiny paint can on the kitchen table. “Did I interrupt something?”

Yes.

“Stop it!” Jesse snapped, giving Shaun a ‘look’. “He’s here to help! Be nice.”

“I’m used to it Jesse.” Eli chuckled. “It’s fine.”

“Just paint the wall and get out of here,” Shaun growled.

“Shaun!” Jesse cried.

Eli laughed as he pulled a roll of sandpaper out of his back pocket. “Just let it go, Jesse. I’ve heard worse.”

Jesse planted his hands on his hips and shook his head with disapproval.

Eli went to the wall and began to sand down the plaster, so it was smooth. “I stopped at the house just now.”

“How are the kids?” Jesse asked.

“The twins were watching TV and Ruth had Brian and the baby in the back room. I guess she found one of Shaun’s old block sets.”

Jesse smiled. “Sounds like she’s got it under control.”

“Oh, she’ll be fine,” Eli said. “She watches the kindergarten class at the church all the time.”

Jesse laughed as Shaun’s lip curled with disdain. He watched from the doorway as Eli finished sanding the wall.

“Ruth wants a head count before she starts dinner. Are you and the brood coming tomorrow?” Eli asked as he ran his palm over the smooth unpainted section.

“We’re coming,” Jesse chirped.

“Great! Dinner starts at seven but come by at six. I’m taking Shaun to pick up his birthday present before we eat. You should ride with us. Ruth will watch the kids.”

“Oooh! A surprise,” Jesse cooed.

“It’s a big year coming up,” Eli chuckled. “You’ll both be seniors in the fall, won’t you?”

“Uhh?” Jesse glanced at Shaun and received a death glare in response. “Right,” he said. “Senior year. Finally.”

“Wasn’t sure you’d make it, but…” Eli’s eyes sparkled. “Well, you proved us wrong. We’re proud of you, Shaun.”

Shaun sneered at him. He’d promised his grandparents he’d get to senior year, but he’d never said he’d graduate. He was dropping out the first day of class.

Eli turned back to the table for the paint can, then snapped his fingers. “Shoot. I need a flathead to pry off the lid.”

“I got one!” Jesse dashed across the room and opened the junk drawer next to the fridge. He sorted through pens and coupons, twisty-ties, and rubber bands, then finally pulled out a screwdriver.

“Perfect.” Eli took the tool and jimmied the tip under the lid. Once it was off, he used a spare paint stick to stir the off-white paint.

Shaun crossed his arms. “It’s great your coming to my party and everything, but what about practice? Is grandma babysitting all night?”

“I’m not sure Ruth would be up for overnight babysitting,” Eli said as he dipped the paint brush into the paint.

Shaun rolled his eyes. “I was being sarcastic. Monica can’t know grandma was even watching them to begin with!”

“I’ll talk to her tonight,” Jesse said sheepishly, and Shaun threw his hands up with frustration.

“You already said that! Can’t you send her a text or something?” he bitched.

Jesse worried his bottom lip. “I should try to catch her in a good mood…not while she’s at work.”

Shaun huffed.

“Jesse, what about your oldest brother? Sam?” Eli asked as he took the paint to the wall and began to fill in the bare patch. “You mentioned he helps with the kids.”

“When he’s around,” Jesse sighed. “Which is rare nowadays. He’s always hanging out with Kyle.”

“We saw the two of them leaving when we came by earlier,” Eli said as he glided the brush up and down. “Sam was struggling to finish the lawn when his friend pulled up in the driveway.”

“Mom paid him twenty bucks to do that,” Jesse snorted. “And he couldn’t even finish the job.”

“Well, I have forty,” Eli said. “Think that’ll convince him to take the night duty tomorrow?”

Jesse’s jaw dropped. “Really?”

“Sure.” Eli beamed. “It’s Shaun’s birthday. I wouldn’t want him to go to rehearsals without his boyfriend.”

“Please don’t say that fruity word ever again,” Shaun scowled.

Eli beamed as he finished with the paint. “Not bad,” he said, stepping back to survey his handiwork. “What do you think, Jesse? Will she notice?”

Jesse stepped up behind the old man. “I can’t even tell there was a hole,” he said in awe. “Wow, Eli. Thanks. A lot.” He stepped a bit closer and quickly hugged the man from behind. It was brief and obviously heartfelt, but Shaun was annoyed, and he strode forward to draw Jesse into his side.

“Thanks grandpa,” he said grumpily. “You can leave now.”

Eli raised an eyebrow. “You’re invited to dinner, as well.”

“Pass.” Shaun slipped his hand into Jesse’s back pocket and squeezed his ass. “We’ve got unfinished business.”

“Okay, then,” Eli chuckled and put the lid back on the paint canister. “Ruth said she expects you at nine. But until then, the night is yours. Gentlemen.” He nodded in farewell, then strode coolly from the room. The front door snicked shut behind him.

“You’re such an asshole.” Jesse broke away from Shaun and moved into the living room.

Shaun followed him, but he didn’t reply. He knew he was an asshole. It wasn’t anything new.

“First, you break the wall,” Jesse said as he fell back onto the couch. “Then, you treat your grandparents like shit when they show up to help.” He crossed his leg over his knee. “Can’t you even try to be nice?”

“I’m not a nice person,” Shaun spat. “And grandpa just cockblocked me. I’m in a shitty mood, Jess.”

“What you said to Tyler earlier was completely out of line.” Jesse pursed his lips. “It was totally fucked up.”

Shaun bared his teeth. “He deserved it.”

“He’s five, Shaun.”

Shaun shook his head.

“Your grandma slapped you, didn’t she?” Jesse asked. “I heard it.”

“I fucking hate that bitch,” Shaun hissed.

“She’s right though,” Jesse murmured. “You have to stop giving into these crazy impulses.”

“I’m not crazy!” Shaun screamed. “I kissed you on impulse, didn’t I?!”

“And you’ve also been cutting yourself…”

“I haven’t done that in weeks!”

“You put a hole through my wall today,” Jesse said and the look on his face was incredibly serious. “What if you’d broken your hand again? Did you think about that? You’re two days away from the biggest show of your life.”

“I don’t—you shouldn’t—I’m not going to—Grrrr!” Shaun clenched his hands into big, trembling fists. “Fuck you, Jesse!”

Jesse flinched. “It scares the shit out of me how self-destructive you are. I just wish you could learn to control yourself.”

Shaun trembled with rage. He was sick to death of being lectured and told how to act.

Jesse took a slow, even breath. “Have you ever heard of counting to four?”

“Have I heard of counting to four?” Shaun curled his lip. “What the fuck kind of question is that?!”

Jesse held up a hand. “It’s something we used to do with the twins. But they caught on eventually…”

Shaun glared at him.

“It’s simple,” Jesse said. “There’s a rhyme and everything. When you feel so mad that you want to roar, take a deep breath and count to four.

“Cute.” Shaun snorted. “Where’d you hear that one?”

“PBS,” Jesse said. “You might think it’s stupid, but it works.”

“One, two, three, four,” Shaun said grumpily. “I’m still pissed. It didn’t work.”

Jesse shook his head. “You didn’t even try.”

“Onetwothreefour.” Shaun grit his teeth. “Fuck you.”

“Do it with me,” Jesse said, then took a slow, even breath through his nose, held it for a moment, then let it out through his mouth. “One.”

Shaun took a huge breath and let it out in a rush. “One.”

“No. You have to do it exactly like I do…go slow.” Jesse stood up and stepped in front of Shaun. He pressed a hand against his belly. “Close your eyes and fill your lungs slowly so you feel it here in your diaphragm.”

Shaun felt foolish, but he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, so the air filled his stomach.

“Good,” Jesse whispered. “Now hold it for a couple seconds and concentrate on how the air feels in your body.”

Shaun held his breath for over a minute.

“You can let go now,” Jesse chuckled. “Don’t die on me, silly.”

Shaun released his breath with a scowl. He didn’t open his eyes, though. Jesse was laughing at him and he didn’t want to see it.

“That was one,” Jesse said softly. “Let’s try a second time.”

Shaun made a face, but he took another breath and held it for a few, long beats, then let it out.

“Two,” Jesse murmured. “Again.”

Shaun took a third breath and let his diaphragm expand his belly. He concentrated on the feeling as he held it in.

“Three…Okay, one more.”

On the fourth breath, Shaun opened his eyes and found Jesse was just inches away, gazing at him adoringly and Shaun felt his cheeks get hot. Jesse must have been staring at him the whole time… He exhaled.

“Four,” Jesse said, his gaze searching. “How do you feel?”

Shaun frowned, but there wasn’t any anger behind it.

Jesse smiled faintly. “Better?”

Shaun scowled. “What do you know anyway?”

“How to control my anger,” Jesse said easily. “I’ve been practicing most of my life.”

Shaun folded his arms. “Super cool.”

“C’mon, grumpy. I know you want to fuck me,” Jesse laughed again as he stepped around Shaun, trailing a hand along his arm as he drifted for the stairs. “We’ve got two hours before I have to pick up the kids…”

Shaun’s expression brightened and he started after Jesse. “Think you can last for two entire hours?”

“Probably not. But it won’t take much to get me going again...”

Shaun’s cock perked up immediately. It seemed he wasn’t going to have any issues either. He eagerly followed Jesse upstairs.

***

Later, after a couple rounds of sex, Shaun and Jesse cleaned up and got back into their clothes. It was close to nine and they headed downstairs to pick up the kids.

“If your grandpa doesn’t give me that money for Sam, please, please remind him,” Jesse said as they slipped outside. “There’s no way this is going to work without it.”

“He won’t forget,” Shaun muttered. The sun was down, but Sam’s half-assed job on the lawn was glaringly apparent even in the moonlight. The edges were uneven and there was a large unmowed portion along the house. “But you’re not giving that retard forty bucks to sit on the couch all night,” he said, surveying the lawn as they stepped into the grass. “He can do it for ten.”

“You obviously don’t know my brother,” Jesse huffed. “We have to give him something he wants, or he’ll go out of his way to inconvenience me.”

“He’s a little bitch,” Shaun hissed.

“He’s my kid brother.” Jesse shrugged. “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

Shaun muttered unhappily as they cut through the tall grass.

“Don’t worry about it. Your grandparents have a nice dinner planned tomorrow, then we’ll go to Ben’s to party,” Jesse said as a firefly landed on his shoulder. “And then, you’re going to tear up the stage Saturday night and everyone’s going to love you. I mean, I don’t see how they couldn’t. You totally rock my world…”

“Stop.” Shaun flicked the bug off Jesse’s shoulder with a glower. “You’re going to give me bad luck if you don’t shut up.”

Jesse looked curiously down at his shoulder. “What was that?”

“Dirty lightning bug.”

“I love fireflies.” Jesse pouted.

When they reached the house, Shaun charged up the steps and shouldered through the front door. Eli was at the table with Brian in his lap and the twins on either side.

“Jesse!” Brian cheered, then he slid out of Eli’s lap and dashed across the room. He threw his little arms around Jesse’s knees. “We had so much fun! We built a tower city with blocks, played Go Fish, then we watched an old-timey movie in black and white!”

“Wow. Sounds like fun.” Jesse laughed as he ruffled a hand through Brian’s silky locks. “What about you two?” he asked the twins who sat with half-emptied glasses of milk in front of them. Brian had one, too, and Shaun spotted a plate with crumbs in the middle of the table. Ruth must have baked cookies. “I hope everyone was well-behaved.”

“It’s boring over here.” Tyler glared into his milk. “They don’t have any games or toys and they don’t even know what the internet is.”

“Hey!” Eli cried, but he was fighting a smile. “I have too heard of the interwebs. It’s like a magical dictionary, right?”

Allison giggled into her hands. “Dictionary?”

“The cookies were alright.” Tyler swirled the milk in his glass with a glum look on his face. “If you like oatmeal.”

“Well, I’m sorry if you’re disappointed. Maybe if the two of you would stop causing me all these headaches, I wouldn’t have to get you a babysitter,” Jesse said.

“These people aren’t babysitters,” Tyler grumbled. “Babysitters are fun, and they let you stay up late, and they don’t make you eat creamed corn for dinner.”

“In what imaginary world did you hear that bullshit?” Jesse laughed.

Tyler crossed his arms.

“I thought I heard voices.” Ruth poked her head into the room, spotted Jesse and Brian by the door and smiled. “Right on time…let me grab the baby.”

Jesse elbowed Shaun as she ducked down the hallway.

“What?” Shaun grumbled.

“Ask him,” Jesse whispered, nodding at Eli. “About the money...”

Shaun grit his teeth with annoyance but spoke up. “Grandpa…”

“I almost forgot.” Eli stood up and drew his wallet from his back pocket. He pulled out two pristine bills, twenties, and handed them to Jesse.

“Thanks,” Jesse said sheepishly. “For everything.”

“Don’t mention it.” Eli winked.

Ruth bustled into the room with Lissa in her arms and a baby bag over her shoulder. Jesse stuffed the money in his back pocket and held out his arms to accept her. “Thank you for watching them Ruth, I so appreciate it.”

“She was a perfect little angel.” Ruth beamed. “Those two however,” she looked over her shoulder at the twins. Allison looked up guiltily, but Tyler continued to glare at his milk. “They backtalked me. They cursed and fought and that one wouldn’t eat his vegetables.” She pointed at Tyler.

Tyler mumbled something under his breath.

“What was that boy?” Ruth barked.

Nothing.”

“That’s right. If you don’t have anything nice to say, then keep your damned mouth shut,” Ruth snapped.

Tyler angrily zipped his lips.

“I…I’m sorry,” Jesse stammered. “I did warn you.”

“Oh, you don’t have to be sorry.” Ruth laughed, her eyes alight with some strange sort of excitement. “Your mother isn’t doing her job. I have half a mind to go over there before she leaves tomorrow morning and tell her exactly what I think of her parenting skills…”

Jesse’s eyes went wide. “Um… please don’t.”

“I won’t.” Ruth inclined her head. “But I’d like to.”

“Alright, grandma.” Shaun rolled his eyes. “We all know you’re mother-of-the-year.”

“Go to your room, Shaun,” Ruth snapped. “I’ve had enough of your mouth for one day.”

Shaun flipped her off with both hands, then stomped out of the kitchen. When he got to his bedroom, he slammed the door and turned to stare at it hatefully.

He sat stiffly on the edge of his bed and buried his face in his hands as he waited for Jesse and his band of siblings to leave. He wished he could have said goodbye, but now he felt too stupid to show his face.

He practiced the breathing technique Jesse had taught him earlier as he listened to a round of muffled ‘goodbyes’ in the other room. Afterwards, the screen door banged shut and the locks got turned. The sound of his grandparents talking floated down the hall, but Shaun couldn’t make out the words.

Shaun thought about cutting himself as he sat there on the bed. The urge to punish his flesh was extremely tempting. He’d been scolded by two different people today, surely he should spill his blood in repentance.

He reached for his bedside table and opened the drawer. Inside, he found his father’s hunting knife and he ran his finger along the blade as he considered where to cut. He grit his teeth and pressed his thumb hard against the sharp edge. There was nowhere on his body he could cut that Jesse wouldn’t be able to see. He couldn’t do it.

Shaun tossed the knife back in his bedside table and banged the drawer shut. Anger coiled in his belly as he kicked off his boots next, then wiggled out of his jeans. The sense of remorse had vanished, and he was bitter about everything. He clicked off the light next to his bed and was plunged into darkness. He laid on top of the covers and listened to the crickets outside his window for a long time until he finally went limp.

In the morning, there was a large patch of spit on his pillow and Shaun blinked in the brilliant sunlight pouring through his window. He wiped the spit from his cheek, then rolled out of bed.

He lazily went about his morning rituals, only he skipped the shaving part this morning. He spent a moment checking his appearance in the mirror. The stubble was growing in thick, but it was still a work-in-progress.

In his room, Shaun dressed in dark jeans and a black tee, then he packed his school bag with a change of clothes for tomorrow. A classic Ozzy tee Eli had given him and a spare set of pants. He added his deodorant, toothbrush, and comb from the bathroom, then stashed the bag in his closet for later.

The kitchen was empty, and Shaun heard the lawn mower start outside as he ate a quick bowl of cereal over the sink. He rinsed it off when he was done, then checked the time. Monica should be gone by now and he shut off the water and left the house for the day.

Eli coasted past on the mower when Shaun stepped out on the porch. The old man braked, then cut the engine. “Morning!”

Shaun jumped down and landed in the gravel with a crunch. “Hey.”

Eli’s eyes shone with mirth. “Happy Birthday, champ.”

Champ?” Shaun scowled. “You promised you’d never call me that again.”

“Did I?” Eli chuckled. “I must have forgotten. I’m getting pretty old, kid.”

“I’m heading to Jesse’s,” Shaun said through his teeth. “I’ll be back for grandma’s stupid dinner before dark.”

“Make it six,” Eli said. “We have to pick up your present before dinner.”

“I don’t want another gun,” Shaun said impatiently. “I don’t care about my fucking birthday, grandpa.”

“It’s not a gun. Trust me, this will be worth your while.”

Shaun stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Whatever.”

“See you tonight, kid.” Eli beamed, then he started the mower again and took off at a lurching pace.

Shaun slipped into the garage before he went next door. He was eager to get to rehearsals and wanted to be ready to go at a moment’s notice. He packed up his equipment, put everything in the back of Eli’s car, then started across the lawn for Jesse’s.

He was at the door in under a minute and he hopped up on the stoop to rap impatiently on the door. The door swung open as Tyler’s angry voice floated from inside. Then Jesse appeared and he launched himself into Shaun’s arms and captured his lips in a passionate kiss.

Shaun grunted in surprise and Jesse pulled back with a laugh.

“Sorry. I’m just so happy to see you!”

Shaun set Jesse aside and stepped through the front door to look over the couch, his eyes narrowing with resentment.

Tyler and Allison were on the floor in front of the TV, game controllers in their hands and a racing game on the television. Sam watched them boredly from the couch. “Jesus, Ty, you’re in last place,” he sneered. “Allison’s about to beat you again.”

“Come on!” Tyler yelled as the green car on the right took out a couple streetlamps in a hairpin turn. “Go faster!”

“Turbo blast!” Allison cheered as her pink car on the left shot past the sleek black car in first place in a flash of neon blue and zipped into a tunnel.

“The finish lines on the other side of the tunnel,” Sam drawled. “Better hurry.”

Tyler’s eyes were glued to the screen as the green car weaved through traffic and the tip of his tongue poked out of the corner of his mouth as he made another narrow turn. Then he slammed into a semi and came to a dead stop in the middle of the highway. “No!” He reversed hard into another car and screamed with frustration as he spun his wheels. “Get out of the way!”

“Way to go, doofus,” Sam laughed.

“Shut up! My car’s all damaged!”

The sound crescendoed with bassy techno beats as Allison reached the end of the tunnel and burst through a guardrail. She ramped off a cliff and landed in a plume of dust. “I win!” she cried as the banner: FIRST PLACE scrolled over the screen.

“I hate this game!” Tyler tossed his controller across the room. “I always get the slow car!”

“That’s three wins for Allison,” Sam cackled. “You suck.”

“I want to play Lego Star Wars!” Tyler pouted.

“Whatever. Loser,” Sam chuckled, but he got up to change the disk.

Shaun glowered at the teen as he spoke to Jesse in a whisper. “Did you give him the money yet?”

“Yeah. Last night.” Jesse took his arm and drew him across the room. “He’s been super helpful all morning.”

Shaun grumbled under his breath as he was led into the kitchen and Sam looked up curiously. Shaun pulled a face, but the younger teen turned away to mess with the game box.

Brian and Lissa were at the kitchen table. The baby was in her highchair and Brian sat beside her in one of the big chairs. Shaun spotted a big mixing bowl with chocolate batter in front of the toddler and Shaun shook his head. “I don’t want any cake, Jess.”

“Well, good,” Jesse said with a smile. “I’m making cupcakes.”

“Jesse…”

“Please don’t make a big fuss.” Jesse avoided Shaun’s eyes as he stepped closer to the table and stirred the batter with a wooden spoon. “Everyone’s looking forward to a cupcake.”

“I thought it was my birthday,” Shaun complained. “Don’t I get a say?”

“You can’t promise a bunch of kids chocolate and then change your mind,” Jesse muttered. “It wouldn’t be fair.”

Shaun growled in response and Brian turned to him with a look of confusion. “Do you not like cupcakes?”

“No,” Shaun bit out. “I don’t eat cake or pie or cookies.”

“Why not?” Brian quirked his head to the side. “Is something wrong with you?”

Jesse covered his mouth to hide a laugh. “Brian…”

“Yes, actually,” Shaun scowled at him. “Diabetes runs in my family.”

Jesse rolled his eyes. “I don’t think you’ll get diabetes from one cupcake.”

“I don’t fuck with sweets,” Shaun said sharply. “Grandma’s little brother got his legs cut off a couple years ago. The older one died last Easter. That disease is fucked up.”

Jesse dropped the spoon into the mixing bowl with a sigh of resignation. “Shaun, please, try to cheer up.” He strode across the room to retrieve the cupcake tin on the counter. “We’ve only got a few hours until we get to leave.”

“More than a few,” Shaun grumbled, glancing at the time on the microwave. It wasn’t even one o’clock yet. He should have slept longer.

“I need something for a seventh cupcake,” Jesse muttered as he examined the cupcake tin.

“I don’t want one,” Shaun pressed.

“You don’t have to eat it,” Jesse said. “But you’ve got to blow out the candles at least.” He opened the cabinet under the microwave, then crouched to search through the shelves. “Here we go. This will do the trick,” he said as he pulled out a small, white ramekin. He snagged a box of colorful cupcake liners from the pantry next, then brought everything to the table.

“How long until it’s ready?” Brian bounced in his seat with excitement as Jesse added the liners to the tin.

“Fifteen minutes,” Jesse said.

“Can I put sprinkles on mine when it’s done?”

“Yes. I told you.” Jesse poured the batter into the liners with his spoon. “Everyone gets to decorate their own.”

“I don’t want to decorate anything,” Shaun grumbled.

“I’ll decorate yours for you!” Brian cheered. “I get to do Lissa’s, too, because Jesse said I could.”

“Awesome,” Shaun said, trailing Jesse with his eyes as he strode to the heated oven and put the cupcakes inside.

Brian squirmed in his chair. “How long is fifteen minutes?”

“Count to sixty fifteen times,” Shaun drawled. “Then they’ll be done.”

Brian started to count on his fingers. He made it to twenty-three before he moaned, “I don’t want to do this anymore.”

“Quit whining.” Shaun slumped into the chair at the head of the table. “It’ll be over before you know it.”

Brian pulled an epic pout and crossed his little arms over his chest.

Jesse set the timer on the stove then turned back to the table with a faint smile. “Good things come with patience, Brian.” He stepped up behind the baby and carded his fingers through the little girl’s soft, strawberry-blond hair.

“Ba-ba-ba,” Lissa babbled happily.

“I really don’t know why you bothered.” Shaun scratched his stubbly chin with a scowl. “Grandma will probably make something for the kids tonight, but now, they’ll be extra annoying at dinner. Double doses of sugar.”

“I thought it would be fun,” Jesse muttered, the smile falling away. “I thought I’d try to surprise you while Sam had the twins occupied.”

“Oh, wow,” Shaun said in mock surprise. “You didn’t have to. Really. I’m shocked.”

Jesse leaned over Brian to smack Shaun on the back of the head. “You’re a miserable jerk. You know that?”

Shaun rubbed his skull as his cheeks burned with humiliation. Twice now he’d been struck because of his mouth. Angry, he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest.

Brian looked between them with concern. “Do you not like your birthday either?”

“Not especially,” Shaun said tightly.

“But…” Brian started, but Jesse grabbed his shoulder and shook his head and he promptly zipped his lips.

The toddler ended up decorating everybody’s cupcakes when they came out of the oven and Jesse couldn’t get the twins off the Xbox. Sam had jumped on a third controller and he and the twin terrors were playing a cartoony game with virtual Legos.

Shaun tried to shake his grouchy mood as he watched Brian decorate with chocolate icing and rainbow sprinkles, but the sugary bits were all over the table and he curled his lip with disgust.

“Can’t have a birthday without candles,” Jesse muttered as he pulled the grill lighter and an old pack of birthday candles from the junk drawer and brought them back to the table where he began to arrange them in the cupcakes.

Brian watched with excitement. The baby babbled and cooed, but Shaun dropped his chin in his hand. “That’s only twelve candles.”

“Please just blow them out and make a wish,” Jesse sighed as he lit the little candles with a flourish. “We went through all this trouble. It’s the least you can do.”

“Right now?” Shaun glared at him.

Jesse set the lighter aside, then turned to the excited toddler. “Brian? Want to sing happy birthday?”

“Yeah!”

Jesse smiled tightly as the two of them began to sing.

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!”

Shaun listened to the corny verses with a deep scowl on his face. When the singing stopped, he blew the candles out in a huge rush of air.

“Did you make a wish?” Brian whispered.

Shaun gazed at the sad, messy cupcakes and wished that tomorrow would be amazing and that the crowd at the Foundry loved the band. He wanted so desperately to be successful and to make everyone sorry they’d ever doubted him, but it was just a stupid birthday wish with leftover candles from someone else’s party. It wasn’t going to come true.

“Shaun doesn’t believe in things like wishes,” Jesse said to Brian and Shaun averted his eyes, so he didn’t have to face his disappointed expression. “You can have as many cupcakes as you’d like, Bri. Nobody wants one anyway.”

Brian grabbed the closest cupcake and peeled the paper off. He stuffed the chocolate confection in his mouth as Jesse fed Lissa a bit of the frosting with his finger.

Shaun sat through the whole thing with a frown.

It was getting close to two when Brian finished his second cupcake and Jesse finished cleaning up. There were four leftover cupcakes and he put them on a plate for later and left them on the counter. “Lissa needs a nap,” he sighed, then lifted the baby out of her highchair. “Poor sleepy girl, let’s get you changed so we can lay you down for a nap.” He made kissy noises at the little girl as he carried her out of the room.

Shaun glanced at Brian. “What about you?”

“I don’t need a nap,” Brian said quickly.

Shaun knew the drill. Brian wouldn’t take naps if you asked him to, but a darkened bedroom and a movie usually put him to sleep. “Let’s go upstairs,” he suggested, then got up to follow Jesse out of the kitchen. “Jesse mentioned he had something recorded on the DVR.”

“Okay!”

In the living room, Sam and the twins were playing a different game. Shaun recognized the little Italians driving the go-carts.

“Take that, loser!” Sam cried as Mario launched a turtle shell at Luigi.

“No!” Tyler yelled as Luigi spun out and Mario launched ahead of him.

“I’ll beat you every time!” Sam jeered. “You suck! I think Brian could probably beat you.”

“It’s not fair!” Tyler tried to snatch the controller from his hand. “I want to be Mario!”

Allison yawned from the couch. She was stretched out on the cushions with the tablet in her lap and she looked up boredly as Shaun and Brian scurried up the stairs.

Shaun could hear Jesse fussing with the baby in the nursery, so he led Brian to the bedroom and turned on the TV. “Get the pillows down,” he said to Brian and the toddler climbed up on the bunk to toss them and the blankets to the floor.

Jesse stepped into the room as Shaun pulled up the TV menu. “I recorded Die Hard on Monday,” he said, and Shaun nodded. That was a decent movie. He pulled up the movie as Jesse arranged the blankets and pillows on the floor and turned out the lights.

They got settled against the pillows and Brian cuddled between the teens as he watched the opening scene with sleepy blue eyes. Shaun started to relax as the familiar movie played out in the dark little bedroom, but beside him, Jesse was stiff with despondence. He gazed at the TV without expression.

Twenty minutes passed before Shaun felt Brian’s head slump against his chest. He looked down, a faint smile tugging on the edges of his lips. “He’s asleep,” he murmured.

“Great.” Jesse ran a hand through his hair and Shaun sighed.

“I’m sorry about the fucking cupcakes.”

Jesse pinched the bridge of his nose. “Are you going to be like this all weekend?”

“No,” Shaun grumbled.

“Maybe if everything goes perfectly Saturday night, maybe we’ll get to relax after the show…”

“Maybe,” Shaun growled under his breath.

“Please try not to be a total terror,” Jesse said as he looked at Shaun with huge, tear-filled eyes. “Can’t we just enjoy ourselves?”

“I don’t know.” Shaun looked away. “I have a hard time letting go.”

“Well, can you try?” Jesse asked. “For me? You really hurt my feelings just now.”

“Over those stupid cupcakes?”

Jesse gave Shaun a long-suffering look. “You might as well have taken a dump on the kitchen table.”

Shaun snorted with amusement.

“Did you pack an overnight bag?” Jesse asked, turning back to the TV.

“Yep.”

“What are you wearing tomorrow?”

“An Ozzy shirt. Nothing fancy.”

Jesse nodded and leaned back against the bedframe.

Brian dozed against Shaun’s chest as the last half of the movie played out. Shaun rubbed his back in a warm gesture, but he was anxious for this to be over. He was counting down the minutes until they could leave for rehearsal.

Tyler and Sam continued to bicker down in the living room, but they stayed downstairs and didn’t bother the teens in the bedroom. When the movie ended, Jesse flipped through the channels for another hour. There wasn’t anything good on and they settled on watching a crime show.

At a quarter after five, Brian opened his vibrant blue eyes, the exact same tone as Jesse’s, and blinked at Shaun in a sleepy daze. “Hi.”

“How was your nap?” Shaun smiled at the toddler.

Brian pouted at the condescending tone. “Fine,” he muttered.

“We’re going to Shaun’s house for dinner, remember?” Jesse said cheerfully, sitting up on his knees. “We should get ready to go, actually. It’s almost time.” He got up and took Brian’s arm. “Let’s get you changed, little man. You’ve got chocolate icing on your t-shirt.”

Brian looked down at his top. Shaun hadn’t noticed, but there were chocolate smears around the collar. The toddler followed Jesse out of the room and Shaun shut off the TV in their wake and scooped up the pillows and blankets on the floor and tossed them on Jesse’s bunk. He went across the hall to use the facilities then ventured into the nursery to check on the other two.

Brian was dressed in a baby blue polo shirt and yellow shorts and he looked super cute. The blue brought out his eyes and the yellow went with his hair. Across the room, Jesse was in the middle of stuffing the baby into a pink, lacy party dress on the changing pad, but she wasn’t as amendable as Brian. Her face was red and pinched like a tomato.

“Help!” Jesse cried and Shaun hurried to the changing table to assist. He secured Lissa’s squirming legs so Jesse could tug her arms through the bodice and pull her head through. “Hold her feet,” he murmured as he rolled her onto her belly and started on the buttons up the back. Lissa whined and fussed, but Jesse worked quickly. “Shit, I hate buttons.”

“You’re pretty good at them though,” Shaun commented.

Jesse laughed humorously as he finished with the buttons and let the baby sit up on the changing pad. “Can you hold her for a second?” He ruffled a hand through his hair as a distracted look crossed his face. “I’ve got to deal with the twins.”

Jesse bustled out of the room as Shaun lifted the baby and set her on his hip. Brian looked to Shaun for direction and not knowing what else to do, Shaun gestured for the toddler to follow him out of the room. “Let’s go see what the little brats are up to.”

Down in the living room, Sam and Tyler were in the midst of another Call of Duty campaign. Sam wore the headset, but Tyler had the controller. Allison was on the couch with the tablet watching something with rainbows and unicorns.

“Is that what you’re wearing to Shaun’s house?” Jesse asked from the coffee table.

“I’m not going,” Tyler sneered at the TV. “I hate that place.”

“Join the club,” Shaun snorted, and Tyler turned his glare onto him instead.

“No thanks. I don’t want to be in any clubs that let you join.”

Shaun bared his teeth at the five-year-old as he laughed at his own stupid joke. He was close to biting the kid’s head off when Sam spoke up.

“You paid me for the entire day, you know. You might as well get your money’s worth.”

Shaun’s glower fell away. “What?”

“You’re paying me forty bucks to watch the kids?” Sam said slowly. “Right?”

Shaun inclined his head. “That’s right.”

“Then go enjoy your party or whatever,” Sam said. “I’ll watch the twins.”

“Ah…thanks.” Lissa grabbed a lock of Shaun’s hair and tugged. “They’ll probably have more fun here anyway,” he said awkwardly, gently guiding the baby’s hand away.

Jesse wore a similar look of shock. “Thanks, Sam. You’ve been really helpful today.”

“No worries,” Sam turned back to the TV, a smug smile teasing his lips.

“Well, we should probably head out,” Shaun said loudly, before Sam ruined the moment. “Grandma hates when I’m late for dinner.”

Jesse stepped around the couch to grab the baby bag by the door and Shaun cleared his throat.

“What about your overnight bag?” he asked.

“Oh yeah.” Jesse’s eyes widened and he turned back for the stairs. “Almost forgot.”

Shaun led Brian to the door as Jesse rushed upstairs for his things. “I can’t wait for my birthday party,” the little boy said randomly. “It’s in September. It’s the one time everybody’s nice to me.”

“Cool.”

“I’ll be four years old this year,” Brian said proudly.

Shaun nodded in reply.

Jesse bounded back down the stairs with his backpack in his arms and a big grin on his face. He had a t-shirt over his shoulder, and he stretched it out for Shaun’s inspection. “I went to his concert last year in Detroit. With my girlfriend.”

Shaun peered at the t-shirt with derision. “You’re into Rob Zombie?”

“Not especially, but the concert was a lot of fun,” Jesse said with a laugh. “We were standing right below the balcony when someone spilled beer on us!”

“Sounds like a blast,” Shaun sneered.

Jesse stuffed the shirt into his bag. “Bye guys,” he called over his shoulder. “See you later.” There was a round of lackluster goodbyes from the kids gathered around the TV and Jesse gave them a stern look. “Be good. All of you.”

“You can trust me.” Sam waved him off. “I’ve got it under control.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of most,” Jesse said with an exaggerated shudder. “Don’t make me regret this.”

Sam gave him a mock salute. “Yes, sir!”

“Let’s go,” Jesse said with a headshake and Shaun and Brian tried to follow him out of the house, but Jesse stopped just outside the door and exclaimed: “Wow! Your grandpa fixed the lawn!”

Shaun pushed him through the door to look. Eli had mowed their lawn, Jesse’s, and the empty lot between. The grass was cut in long, neat rows like a football field.

Brian pushed between the teens, jumped into the grass, and took off at a run. He released a joyful stream of laughter as he zig-zagged across the field. Midway, he attempted a cartwheel without stopping and fell, giggling, in a tangle of arms and legs.

“That was the worst cartwheel I’ve ever seen!” Jesse hollered after him, then leapt off the stoop and rushed after him. He did a couple perfect cartwheels in the grass to show off and Brian, his nice blue top dusted in stray grass clippings, stood up and tried to copy him. Shaun bounced the baby against his chest as he watched Jesse and Brian tumble through in the grass.

“Look at those idiots,” he commented to Lissa, then pulled the door shut behind them and stepped into the lawn. “C’mon retards,” he barked, and Jesse quit the gymnastics.

“Let me get that grass off you,” Jesse called to the toddler and Brian obediently bounced to his side. “You look really cute with the grass stains,” Jesse chuckled, brushing the loose grass clippings from the boy’s polo with a hand. Brian’s bottom lip protruded, but he put up with the fuss. “That’s better.” Jesse caught Shaun’s gaze over the boy’s blond head and smiled. “We’ll have to come outside to play when I get back on Sunday.”

Shaun smiled faintly in return and the three of them fell into step as they approached the house.

Eli came out on the porch as they reached the gravel drive. “I saw you enjoying the lawn,” he called out. “What do you think?”

“I love it!” Brian cheered, hopping up to greet the old man with a sunny grin. “Thanks for mowing the lawn Mr. Eli.”

“You’re more than welcome, little man.” Eli ruffled his hair as Jesse stepped up behind the toddler. “Now, why don’t you go inside and help Auntie Ruth? She needs help mashing the potatoes.”

“Okay!” Brian rushed inside, slamming the screen door behind him.

Shaun could see Ruth in the kitchen through the screen as he came up behind Jesse. Lissa tugged his hair again and he grit his teeth with frustration. He didn’t want a birthday dinner. He wanted to leave.

“Thank you, Eli,” Jesse was saying. “The lawn looks amazing.”

“I’ve been meaning to tackle that empty lot for a while now.” Eli clasped Jesse on the shoulder. “I just got the blades sharpened on the lawn mower. I thought it was time.”

“You doubled the kids play area,” Jesse gushed. “Brian and the twins love kicking the ball around.”

“Oh yes,” Eli chuckled while behind him, Ruth came to the door with her hands on her hips. “And the physical activity helps burn off all that excess energy, too, I’ll bet.”

“For sure.”

Ruth came outside and her eyes fell on Shaun at once and narrowed into thin slits, then she looked down and spotted the baby. “Oh, what an absolute darling,” she cooed and her stern expression cracked as she forced her way between the two men blocking her path. “What a little doll!” Ruth plucked the baby from Shaun’s arms and kissed Lissa on the cheek.

“Where’s the other two munchkins?” Eli asked, looking over her shoulder at Jesse’s house.

“Sam’s got them playing Xbox,” Jesse said sheepishly. “They didn’t want to come.”

“Those spoiled brats don’t know what they’re missing.” Ruth put her nose up. “Come along, sweet girl. Let’s get these potatoes mashed.” She whirled back for the house, pausing to take the baby bag off Jesse’s shoulder as an afterthought.

The door shut behind her with a bang and Eli turned back to the pair with a big grin. “Ready for your birthday present?”

“Can’t wait,” Shaun huffed. “What is it again?”

“I’m not telling,” Eli said, his eyes gleaming with mirth. “Ruth and I kept it a secret for the last three months. I can’t spoil it now.”

“Alright. Fine.” Shaun rolled his eyes. “Let’s get this over with, I guess.”

“I’ll drive.” Eli stepped off the porch with a bounce in his step.

“Fucking waste of time…” Shaun muttered, and Jesse poked him in the ribs.

“Be nice.”

Shaun shrugged him off and started after the old man with a sneer. Jesse kept forgetting. Shaun wasn’t nice. He slumped dejectedly into the backseat as Eli started the car and turned on the radio. It was a classic Elvis song and Eli’s eyes crinkled at the corners with fondness. Shaun watched him with annoyance.

Jesse took the seat behind Eli and set his bag on the floor between his legs. “Where are we going?”

“That would spoil the surprise,” Eli said with a twinkle in his eye. “You’ll see, soon enough.”

“Turn that shit off,” Shaun complained. “Fucking Elvis.

Eli shifted into reverse and turned the music down a touch. “What do you think of Shaun’s music, Jesse?”

“Defaced is going to be huge one day,” Jesse crooned. “Everything Shaun writes is fire. He’s amazing with the guitar and his voice is so sexy.”

“Jesus,” Shaun groaned. “Shut up, Jesse.”

“I saw him play last year.” Eli smiled at him in the rearview mirror. “The crowd was wild. I had to stand way in the back.”

“Do not continue that stupid story, grandpa,” Shaun said in a serious voice. “You’re the only one who thinks it’s funny.”

“What story?” Jesse asked and Shaun rolled his eyes.

“Some chick took her top off in the front row,” he grumbled. “Grandpa thought it was hilarious.”

“It’s really not that big of a deal,” Eli chuckled. “I know what groupies are. I don’t know why it embarrasses you so much.”

“Because it wasn’t a groupie,” Shaun growled under his breath. “That was one of Will’s girlfriends. She did the same thing at another show and got arrested.” He smiled meanly. “Now, that was pretty funny.”

“Great,” Jesse muttered.

“Well, in light of things, maybe it’s not as funny as I thought it was,” Eli said uncomfortably.

Jesse shifted in his seat. “Hopefully, everyone keeps their tops on at this show.”

They passed the school on the right and Eli made a left onto RT 530. He was heading into town.

“What’s in Hallettsville, Grandpa?” Shaun asked. “And why couldn’t it have waited until Sunday?”

“Shaun…” Jesse hissed. “Just be patient. We’re going to Ben’s after dinner.”

“Trust me, Shaun,” Eli sang. “You’re going to love this.”

“How about we make a deal?” Shaun sneered. “If this surprise doesn’t live up to your expectations, then you’ll call a cab and let us take your car to Ben’s from here.”

“If you hate it that much, you can just take my car and we’ll make an even trade,” Eli laughed.

Shaun crossed his arms. “What do you mean trade?”

Eli pressed his lips together as they entered town and passed the Pepsi Bottling plant where he worked. Little houses crowded the fenced property and Eli made a right onto 4th Street and drove into Hallettsville.

Shaun glared out the window as they glided past the bar and the little movie theater behind the library. They got stuck at the light on the corner and he gazed at the large family-owned grocery store beyond the glass. Eric and Jordan were coming out of the store with giant Styrofoam cups in hand and Shaun bristled with irritation. “What are we doing here?”

The light changed and Eli made a left on Promenade. “We’re here, boys.”

There was a used car lot behind the store and Shaun peered at the rows of cars sprinkled with balloons and American flags. “Did you get me a car?”

Eli slowed and turned into the dealership. “Yep.”

“Oh, fuck!” Shaun cried. “Seriously?!”

“That’s her there,” Eli said as he pulled the old Ford into a space in front of the office. There was a shiny black Mustang beside them, and Shaun immediately got out to see.

“Holy shit, grandpa,” he murmured as Jesse stepped up beside him and gently touched his wrist.

“Oh my god! We’ve got a car!” Jesse whispered excitedly. “This changes everything!”

“It’s nice.” Shaun checked the sticker. It was a 2009 with 113,000 miles. Keyless entry. Moon roof. Bucket seats.

“You must be Shaun?” Shaun looked around in surprise as a blond guy with big, white teeth approached, hand outstretched. “Nice to meet you. I’m Nathan.”

Shaun didn’t want to, but he took the man’s hand. “Shaun,” he muttered. “Nice car.”

“It is.” Nathan smiled hugely, exposing his big horse teeth. “Happy birthday, buddy.”

Shaun shoved his hands in his pockets. “Thanks.”

“Well, she’s all yours, kid,” Nathan said with another winning grin. “Do you want to take her for a little spin before you sign the title?”

“No need.” Eli came up behind Shaun and squeezed his shoulder. “I already tested it out for you and looked under the hood. She’s in good shape.”

“I’ll sign it now,” Shaun said, shrugging Eli’s hand off his arm. “Bring out the keys.”

“Alright.” Nathan’s nodded. “I’ll be back.”

Shaun turned to his grandfather as the salesman went back into the building. “Thank—”

“You’re welcome.”

“I’m—”

“Sorry?” Eli beamed. “No need to be sorry, son. I’m rather used to your...charming personality.”

“I never—”

“Never would have guessed?” Eli’s eyes sparkled.

“Would you let me talk?!” Shaun barked and Eli pressed his lips together. “I just wanted to say…” Shaun sighed, gazing at the Mustang with reverence. “This is pretty awesome, grandpa.”

“No speeding tickets,” Eli said firmly. “Ruth said she’ll revoke your driving privileges for a week if you get one.”

“Yeah, alright.”

Nathan came back with the paperwork. “I need you to sign here,” he said, handing Shaun a clipboard and Shaun penned his name with a sloppy signature. Nathan flipped through a couple more sheets, indicating where Shaun should sign, then he held up a set of keys with a keyless remote attached. “That’s the last of it. The rest is for your grandfather to fill out,” he said with a wink and Shaun snatched the keys with a jolt of excitement.

“Will grandma lose her mind if we skip dinner?”

“Your grandma is beyond that point,” Eli chuckled. “She’ll get over it.”

“C’mon Jesse.” Shaun turned to Eli’s car and opened the trunk. He grabbed his guitar while Jesse retrieved his overnight bag from the backseat. The adults smiled indulgently as the teenagers piled in the Mustang.

“This is the best birthday present ever!” Jesse gushed as Shaun shoved the key in the ignition.

“I’m gonna go fast,” he muttered, and Jesse watched with bated breath as he started the car and revved the engine a few times. The adults were still watching, but Shaun didn’t care. He’d signed the papers. The car was his now. “Hold on,” he said as he shifted into reverse, then whipped backward out of the parking space. He switched into drive and screeched out of the lot.

“Whoa!” Jesse grabbed the door handle as they turned sharply onto the road. “Watch it, Shaun. We’re still in town.”

Shaun ignored him. He took Promenade all the way to 77-N, blasting past the four-way stop in between. When he jumped on the highway, he floored it and the car took off.

“Shaun!” There was an uphill dip in the road and Jesse yelled as they went airborne. They were going close to 90mph and Shaun gripped the wheel with glee.

“I can’t believe they got me a car!” he cackled. “Fuck! They finally did something right!” He laughed and laughed.

“Slow down.” Jesse grabbed Shaun’s arm and gripped him tight. “You’re scaring me.”

“I told you I was going to speed,” Shaun chuckled, but took his foot off the gas so they slowed to a reasonable 70mph.

“When you get home Sunday, you need to give your grandpa a big hug,” Jesse pressed. “And tell your grandma you’re sorry for skipping dinner and that you love her.”

“I don’t know why I have to do all that,” Shaun grumbled.

“We should have gone to dinner.” Jesse shook his head. “She’ll be so disappointed.”

Shaun sighed. “Yeah.”

“What was she making?” Jesse asked.

“Backstrap and potatoes.”

Jesse raised his eyebrows.

“Deer,” Shaun said simply.

“That’s right. I keep forgetting you’re a redneck,” Jesse laughed.

“No. White trash,” Shaun corrected. “My family’s been trash for generations. If you think hotdogs in your mac and cheese is trashy, wait until you’ve tried possum.”

Jesse stuck out his tongue. “That’s gross.”

“It’s delicious.” Shaun licked his lips. “I’ll have grandma make you some one day.”

“God no,” Jesse moaned. “Please don’t.”

In a good mood for once, Shaun laughed.

They took 77 to get to Weimar and arrived at Ben’s place in just under 30 minutes. Jesse sent Ben a text when they were a couple minutes away.

“Looks like Gretchen’s already here,” he said as they pulled in the drive and parked next to her Jeep.

Shaun shut off the engine. “Call Ben. I want to show him the car.”

Jesse pulled his phone out and tapped the screen a few times. He put it to his ear as the faint sound of ringing came from the speaker. “Hey,” Jesse said when it stopped. “Can you come outside for a second? We’re in the driveway.” There was a pause and Shaun heard Ben’s deep voice. “Okay…See you in a minute…Bye.” Jesse hung up and tucked his phone away. “They’re both coming,” he said to Shaun’s questioning look.

Shaun nodded and sat back to watch the door.

Ben and Gretchen came out of the house momentarily and stepped onto the porch. Gretchen pointed at the Mustang, then said something into Ben’s ear that made him laugh.

Shaun got out of the car as they approached. “I finally got my own ride.”

“Neat,” Gretchen drawled. “Did you steal it?”

“You wish.” Shaun snorted. “It’s my birthday.”

Gretchen dramatically clutched her chest. “When were you going to tell us?”

“I wasn’t. I usually hate my birthday.”

“What are you? A Jehovah Witness?” Gretchen poked Ben in the ribs. “Isn’t that what those whack-jobs are called? The ones who hate birthdays?”

Ben choked back a laugh. “Happy birthday, man,” he said to Shaun. “And sweet ride!”

Shaun eyed him speculatively. Ben wore a salmon-colored button down with a blue tie, neat khakis, and a pair of shiny black dress shoes. “What the fuck are you wearing?”

Ben looked down at himself, then laughed. “I haven’t had a chance to get out of my work clothes yet. When I came home, Gretchen was waiting in the driveway.”

Shaun crossed his arms. “What do you do again?”

“Insurance.”

Shaun grumbled unhappily. He wouldn’t be caught dead in a salmon-colored anything. He didn’t approve of Ben’s work attire.

“Alright!” Ben clapped his hands together. “Angela’s with her girlfriends for the weekend so we’ve got the house to ourselves. The basement’s set-up for practice and nobody cares if we toke up or get wasted. We can stay up as late as we want, too!”

Gretchen raised a hand. “Oh! Can we hire a couple strippers?”

Shaun leered at her. “Knowing you, you’d pick up a bunch of diseased skanks…”

“Don’t tell me you’re actually interested in something like that,” Jesse snorted.

“I don’t—I’m not interested in strippers,” Shaun said quickly. “Gretchen’s the one—”

“Don’t blame me for shit,” Gretchen sneered. “Aww, poor Jesse’s already getting jealous.”

“Jealous of what?” Jesse laughed. “Strippers?”

Gretchen smirked at him. “You do realize that once Shaun gets on stage, all the girls in the room are going to soak their panties, right?”

Jesse pressed his lips together and fell quiet.

“What the fuck?” Shaun’s cheeks got unbearably hot. “You’re making shit up!”

“I’ve seen it happen with worse looking guys,” Gretchen said. “Being on stage is a powerful aphrodisiac.”

“Yeah right,” Shaun laughed. “I’ve been on stage plenty of times. I think I can handle it.”

“Yeah, but you’re the lead singer now,” Gretchen said with a taunting grin. “Groupies eat lead singers for breakfast.”

Shaun narrowed his eyes. He suspected Gretchen was trying to make fun of him in some way. He didn’t believe her.

Ben playfully elbowed his sister-in-law. “You’re freaking him out.”

Gretchen laughed humorlessly. “What can I say? I’ve been around the block. I know what happens to pretty boys like you.”

Pretty boys,” Shaun grumbled under his breath. “And what the fuck are you talking about? What’s going to happen?”

Gretchen pursed her lips and refused to say anymore.

Shaun looked to Ben for an explanation.

“Anyone up for a drink?” Ben laughed uneasily. “Maybe we should get out of the house for a while.”

“But what about rehearsals?!” Shaun cried. “We need to practice!”

“Oh, c’mon, Shaun,” Jesse spoke up. “We’re way early. We’ll have time to practice later.”

Shaun grumbled mutinously in reply.

“The place around the corner has an amazing air hockey table.” Ben waggled his eyebrows.

“I love air hockey,” Jesse said excitedly.

“I’m game.” Gretchen slid past Shaun and reached into the car for a lever behind the front seat. It slid forward and she hopped into the back.

Shaun sighed. “I guess I’m driving.”

“Yes!” Ben laughed. “We are so doing this.” He climbed in the Mustang beside Gretchen. “Wow. It’s roomy back here!”

Shaun shoved the driver’s seat back into place, then slumped behind the wheel. “Fuck me.”

Jesse fell into the seat beside him. “Hey. It’s better than a birthday dinner with your grandparents, right?”

“Having my fingers chewed off by rats would be better than another birthday dinner,” Shaun said darkly, and Jesse laughed.

Shaun drove to the bar with half-assed instructions because Ben was busy talking the place up, mentioning the food, the drink specials, the TVs, the game room in the back. When they pulled in the parking lot, Shaun laughed at the name of the bar.

“The Rat’s Nest?”

“Wow,” Jesse smirked. “That’s ironic.”

“What?” Ben asked from the back and Jesse shook his head.

“Shaun’s making a bad joke. You don’t want to hear it.”

“Thanks for the warning,” Gretchen snorted. “I hate corny jokes.”

Shaun cut the engine and got out of the car. He started to slam the door behind him, then thought about his passengers in the back and paused with a growl of impatience to hold it.

Ben fumbled with the release under the front seat. “I can’t find the latch!”

“Move, idiot,” Gretchen huffed and reached over Ben to slide the front seat out of the way, then crawled over his lap and squeezed out of the car. “Thanks for the help, asswipe.” She glared at Shaun.

“I don’t know how to move the seats yet,” Shaun grunted. “Fuck you, bitch. I said it was a new car.”

“I can tell,” Gretchen curled her lip. “The sticker’s still in the backseat.”

“You’re just jealous I didn’t have to fuck anyone to get it,” Shaun sneered.

“Naw.” Gretchen laughed, then started for the bar. “My parents gave me a car, too. As a graduation gift,” she threw over her shoulder. “An Aerostar.”

“A van?” Shaun stalked after her as Jesse and Ben trailed at a distance, having a separate conversation. Shaun hit the lock button on the keyless remote as an afterthought. “Those suck. What color was it?”

“Is rust a color?” Gretchen entered the bar and looked around with her nose in the air.

Shaun snorted with amusement. “I guess.”

The place was dimly lit, but it was lively. The bar was packed with young, business-type patrons with pop music playing in the background. There were colorful neon beer signs on the walls, a bunch of big screen TVs over the bar, and mini ones at each of the booths along the back wall. There was a separate room in the back and Shaun spotted one of the air hockey tables through the doorway.

Gretchen stopped him with a hand on his chest. “Wait for Ben,” she said. “He’s got the hookup.”

“He doesn’t ‘got the hookup’,” Shaun sneered. “Air hockey’s in the back. I can see it from here.” He brushed Gretchen’s hand from his chest and started for the back.

“Maybe we should grab drinks first,” Gretchen drawled. “I have a feeling you’re not going to take it well when I wipe the floor with you in air hockey.”

Shaun sneered. “I don’t lose to girls.”

“You’re about to,” Gretchen said heatedly, her nostrils flaring.

Ben and Jesse stepped through the front doors and Jesse looked around in appreciation. Ben was all grins.

“What do you guys think? Old Ben’s got the hookup!”

Gretchen snickered. “What’d I tell you.”

Shaun rolled his eyes.

“What’d she say?” Ben quirked an eyebrow.

“Where are we sitting, Daddy?” Gretchen asked with a smile.

“In the back there.” Ben nodded across the room. “I’m starving. Let’s get something to eat first.”

“Lead the way,” Gretchen fluttered her eyelashes and Ben hooked his arm through hers with a grin and escorted her to the booth on the end.

“They’re cute together,” Jesse said suddenly, and Shaun lowered his eyes. Jesse stood at his elbow, a gentle smile on his lips.

“Ben’s wedding is like a month away,” Shaun said.

“I know.” Jesse’s smile faded.

“Nothing about it is cute,” Shaun grumbled. “Relationships destroy bands, Jesse.”

“Jeez. Alright,” Jesse whined. “Sorry I said anything.”

Shaun left him by the door and took a shortcut through the high-top tables. He reached the booth on the end and plopped into the seat across from Ben and Gretchen.

“Ben wants to start a big tab and split everything at the end,” Gretchen said.

Shaun blinked in surprise. “Me and Jesse are totally broke.”

“Told you, Ben,” Gretchen said smugly. “Fork over the Visa.”

Ben sighed but reached into his back pocket for his wallet. “Get the appetizer platter and a big bucket of beer so everyone can share.”

Gretchen plucked Ben’s Visa card from the tips of his fingers and bounced out of the booth. “Back in a sec!” she called merrily.

Jesse slid into the seat beside Shaun as Gretchen flounced to the bar for their order. Shaun was used to her get-up, but it was certainly turning heads. Her platform heels, ripped fishnets, and neon-green mini-skirt were out of place in the trendy sports bar.

“So, how old are you now?” Ben asked casually and Shaun turned back to the table with a grunt.

“Nineteen,” he said. “And before you ask, I started school a year late. My parents were too fucked up to remember.”

Jesse touched his hand. “How come you never mentioned?”

Shaun shrugged. “Because it’s embarrassing?”

“I got held back freshman year,” Jesse snorted. “Did I ever mention that?”

“You did?” Shaun was taken aback. “How’d that happen? You’re obsessed with studying.”

“You think I’m obsessed with studying?” Jesse laughed.

Shaun scowled at him. “Well, you do it more often than I do.”

“Oh my god.” Jesse continued to laugh. “You don’t study at all.”

“Maybe I don’t need, too. You’re the one that got held back,” Shaun jeered.

“Wow. That was a burn,” Ben laughed. “Third degree.”

“It was right after Brian was born,” Jesse said. “And life was stressful. I wasn’t doing my homework at the first school and then we moved and started in another district and I fell so far behind, I couldn’t sit for the exams.”

Shaun felt like a total jerk. “Sorry,” he muttered.

Jesse shrugged. “It’s cool. I’m over it.”

A large bucket brimming with beer plunked on the table. Gretchen stood over it with a grin on her face. “Who’s ready to get wasted?”

The four of them finished the bucket before the appetizers arrived and Ben ordered another from the young waiter when he came with the food. Shaun waited for the guy to ask for IDs, but he gathered the empty bottles and disappeared with the bucket. He returned moments later with a fresh one, brimming with beer and ice.

Jesse dipped one of the deep-fried, jalapeno poppers in the ranch and stuffed it in his mouth. “Oh god, these poppers are to die for,” he groaned.

“I know, right?” Ben laughed.

Shaun tried one, too, and found that they were indeed very tasty.

“I told you this place was the bomb,” Ben said. “I used to come here with the guys from work, but nobody has the time anymore. You know how it is,” he sighed. “Once you get married and have a couple kids…”

Gretchen snorted into her drink. “No idea what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah, dude, that’s lame.” Shaun frowned. “Maybe you shouldn’t get married.”

Ben stared down at his plate of hot wings. “No, no, I want to get married. I want to have kids, too.”

“No, you don’t,” Gretchen said in a stage-whisper. “That’s just what they tell you you should want.”

Ben shook his head. “We can’t smoke dope and get drunk forever. The party’s gotta stop eventually.”

“That’s my sister talking,” Gretchen sneered.

“Yeah, man, what are you talking about?” Shaun said. “Gretchen’s signing us up for Battle of the Bands after we play The Foundry. We’re trying to get signed so we can smoke dope and get drunk all the time.”

“I like your priorities, kid.” Gretchen laughed.

Shaun raised his chin. “Thanks. I’ve been planning this shit for years.”

Gretchen laughed even harder.

“I think Ben’s trying to find a balance between work, play, and family life,” Jesse spoke up. “Priorities change when you have a family.”

“They don’t have to,” Shaun said grouchily.

“But they do,” Jesse said, and Shaun huffed dramatically. “What do you think it’s going to be like when we get a place?”

“An all-day party?”

Gretchen burst into laughter. “Your neighbors are gonna love you.”

“What the fuck’s so funny?” Shaun set his beer down with a clink.

Jesse shook his head. “Life isn’t a party, Shaun.”

“Oh, fuck you, Jesse!” Shaun shouted. “Don’t start with this bullshit again! I fucking hate it when you start lecturing me like I’m one of your little brothers!”

“Well, maybe you need to be lectured,” Jesse snapped. “You sound an awful lot like Sam sometimes.”

“I hate that fucking brat!”

Jesse held up a hand and Shaun had to bite his tongue to get himself to stop ranting. He tasted blood.

“When we get a place, nobody will tell us when we have to go to bed or what to eat or try to control what we spend our money on,” Jesse said slowly and Shaun ground his teeth together with frustration. “But nobody’s going to pay our bills either. Or go grocery shopping for us. Or wash the dishes and put away the laundry. We have to do all that.”

“I know that,” Shaun said forcefully. “I’m not stupid, alright?”

Jesse frowned at him. “We won’t be able to party all the time because Brian’s going to be living with us, too,” he said, and Shaun snorted with disapproval. “And we won’t always be able to follow you to practice. So, we’ll be waiting for you.”

“And?”

“And,” Jesse glared at him. “You’re going to have to find a work/life balance, as well. Or I’m going to be lonely and miserable.”

“Jesus Christ.” Shaun threw his head back. “Way to lay on the guilt.”

Jesse folded his arms across his chest.

“Alright.” Shaun grabbed his drink and drained it in a single, large gulp. “Who’s playing air hockey?” He set his bottle down and turned to Gretchen. “You,” he said darkly. “In the game room. Now.”

Gretchen took a leisurely sip of her beer. “You’ve got to work up to playing me. Go against your boyfriend first.”

Shaun scoffed. “Naw, his aim sucks.”

“What the fuck!” Jesse scrambled to get out of the booth. “You’re on! My aim does not suck!”

Gretchen hooked her arm though Ben’s and tugged him out of the booth. “This’ll be a laugh,” she muttered. “C’mon, Benny! Let’s move this sideshow to the other room!”

Ben followed like a puppy as Gretchen and Jesse led the way into the other room. Ben called over his shoulder at Shaun. “Get some more drinks! This is going to be the match of the century!”

Shaun watched them go with a sneer, then slid out of the booth and marched up to the bar. The same young waiter from before was manning the restaurant end of the bar and Shaun strolled up to him with a confidence he didn’t normally have and ordered a round of fireballs for the game room. “And keep ‘em coming,” he ordered.

There were all kinds of games in the back section of the bar, racing games, boxing games, shooter games, and they had the room to themselves. Jesse and Ben had found a table next to the air hockey machine and were struggling to fit their giant appetizer platter and the beer on its surface.

Shaun spotted a second larger table between some arcade machines and lifted it easily. “Hey dumbasses.” He set the table beside the first one. “Put the food here.”

“Why didn’t we think of that, Jess?” Ben chuckled.

“Because we’re drunk?” Jesse snickered, then set the platter on the larger table. He snuck an onion ring off the platter, then turned to Shaun. “Now, ready to get your ass beat?”

“So ready,” Shaun said with an eye roll.

“Good.” Jesse munched his onion ring. “Because I’m really good at air hockey.”

It cost a dollar to play and Ben pulled a bill from his wallet without comment. Shaun was uncomfortable spending his money, but the feeling faded the instant the puck fell into his hand. The scuffed pusher piece drifted across the table and Shaun snatched it up as Jesse grabbed his across the table.

“I’m not going easy on you.” Shaun smirked at his boyfriend.

Jesse set his beer on the edge of the table and leaned over his goal post. “I didn’t expect you to.”

Shaun slid the puck across the table. “You first, babe.”

Jesse followed the puck with his pusher piece and when it was within range, he struck it as hard as he could. The puck shot into Shaun’s corner, then zipped back to Jesse at the speed of light. “Uhh!” He whacked the puck a second time, but Shaun blocked it with ease. Jesse aimed for the puck as it darted straight for him, but he slipped and the puck slotted into the goal. “Oh, come on!” he cried.

“Point for Shaun!” Gretchen squawked from the table. Beside her, Ben pressed a hand over his mouth to hide his ridiculous grin.

“Screw you guys!” Jesse retrieved the puck with a scowl. “Come on, Jess,” he murmured to himself. “Get it in this time.” Then he launched the puck across the table with an aggressive arm movement.

Shaun hit it back into Jesse’s corner and Jesse lunged to the right to catch it but missed. Shaun struck the puck again, into the opposite corner and Jesse bobbed to the left, tracking the puck with his pusher. Shaun bounced the puck from corner to corner, making Jesse chase it back and forth, until finally, he bumped the puck at the perfect angle and snuck it into Jesse’s goal for a second time.

“Shoot!” Jesse yelled. “How are you doing that?!”

“I’m an excellent marksman,” Shaun boasted, and Gretchen cackled like a witch.

The game ended eight minutes later when Shaun got to twenty-four points. It was a sound beating. Jesse only got one goal and it was a total accident. He was trying way too hard and Shaun almost felt bad for making him look like such a fool.

“Wow, that was embarrassing,” Gretchen said when the air effects turned off.

“I’ve been drinking.” Jesse shoved the pusher away, then shuffled back to the table and picked at the appetizer platter. “It wasn’t my fault.”

“We’ve all been drinking,” Shaun sneered as Jesse poked a fry in his mouth.

“Whatever,” he muttered.

The waiter arrived with shots on a tray and Jesse moved out of the way so he could set them on the first table with the beers.

“Took you long enough.” Shaun stalked back to the table and grabbed one of the shot glasses. “Now bring us a second round.”

The waiter quirked an eyebrow. “Sure. As soon as I get a chance.”

“We’re going to finish this before you get back to the bar,” Shaun growled. “I told you to keep ‘em coming.”

“I’m extremely busy up front,” the waiter drawled. “I’ll make another round after I tend to the bar.”

“Sorry, dude.” Ben drew out his wallet and slipped the guy a twenty. “My friend’s an asshole. Try to focus on the money.”

The guy nodded and quickly pocketed his tip. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

Shaun watched the guy walk away with a scowl. “Fucking asshole.”

Gretchen ignored Shaun. Her eyes were locked on Ben. “I didn’t know you were loaded,” she said, fluttering her eyelashes. “Can I get some cash, too?”

Ben rolled his eyes. “I figured I’d be blowing a bunch of money tonight. I stopped by the bank on my lunch break.”

“Fuck you. You’re a goddamn millionaire.” Shaun threw an arm around Jesse and pulled him into the chair across from the other two. “We’ve all seen your mansion.” He glowered, then tossed back his shot.

Gretchen carefully selected a drink from the tray. “I take it you’ve never actually been in a real mansion?”

“Jump off a bridge and die, bitch,” Shaun said pleasantly, then set his empty glass on the table and drew Jesse into his side.

“Stop being a jerk,” Jesse hissed, pulling away from Shaun’s embrace.

“Why am I a jerk? Because I beat you?” Shaun yanked Jesse’s face around. “Kiss me,” he demanded.

“I don’t want to.” Jesse turned his face away. “And your treating everyone like shit right now. Are you serious?”

Shaun grabbed Jesse’s chin with his fingers. “Stop resisting me.”

“No…”

“Fucking chauvinist,” Gretchen said unhappily, but Shaun ignored her and forced his lips down on Jesse’s.

Mmmph!” Jesse cried as Shaun plunged his tongue into his mouth and kissed him aggressively.

Shaun was unrelenting. He held Jesse’s face still as he dominated him with deep, sloppy kisses that got his dick rock hard in seconds, and slowly, Jesse started to respond. He went limp against Shaun’s chest and met his tongue with a helpless moan.

“Please don’t make us sit through a gay-love scene,” Gretchen snapped, and Jesse pulled away with a gasp. “We’re right in the middle of an air hockey tournament. Shaun vs. Ben. That’s what I want to see.”

Shaun grabbed himself under the table and lazily adjusted himself. “Fine,” he growled. “But when I win, you have to sleep in your Jeep tonight so I can fuck Jesse until the sun comes up.”

Jesse groaned with embarrassment as a huge grin stretched across Gretchen’s face. “Is that all you want? Alright.”

“Are we making bets?” Shaun smiled cockily. “What do you want?”

“Nothing fancy,” Gretchen said. “I want to play a game.”

“Another game?”

Gretchen held up a finger. “Truth or dare. Right here, right now. If you don’t want to do a dare or answer a question, you have to take a drink.”

“Pfft.” Shaun rolled his eyes. “That’s fucking easy.”

“Oh, I can’t wait to see this.” Jesse grabbed one of the fireballs and handed it to Shaun. “Here, drink mine. You’re going to need it.”

Shaun took the shot and swallowed it quickly. “C’mon Ben. Round two”

“Isn’t this between you and Gretchen?”

“He’s gotta beat you first,” Gretchen said. “Then me.”

“Hurry up and put a dollar in the machine,” Shaun snapped.

“Okay, okay.” Ben hurried to start a new game and Shaun stepped up to the table and grabbed the pusher. “I’m actually pretty decent at air hockey though.”

“Play!” Shaun demanded.

This game lasted a bit longer than the first one, but not by much. Ben didn’t have much of a strategy, but he knew how to block. Shaun was out for blood though. He wanted the basement tonight. The score ended at twenty-four to twelve.

When the waiter arrived with the second round of drinks, Jesse encouraged Shaun to drink. “Here. Have two.”

“Do you want me to fucking lose?” Shaun growled.

“No! Liquid courage and all that,” Jesse said with a huge grin, then kissed Shaun wetly on the lips. “Good luck, sweetheart!”

Shaun sneered at the endearment. He didn’t need cute nicknames to feel special and loved.

“You’re not going to win this time,” Gretchen said, then uncrossed her legs and slid out of her chair.

Shaun’s head swam as he finished his fourth shot of the night. “Yes, I will,” he grunted. “I’m getting the basement tonight. And I’m gonna do some fucked up shit to Jesse down there, too.”

“I didn’t hear that!” Ben stuck his fingers in his ears. “La-la-la! Hm-mm-mm!”

“Those shots are about to set in,” Gretchen said cheerfully. “You’re going to lose this game. And then? Then, you’re going to answer all my questions in Truth or Dare.”

“Fuck. You.” Shaun got behind the table, the same spot he’d just beaten Ben and Jesse in… “Ben!” he snapped. “Dollar!”

Ben handed Gretchen a buck and she pranced to the opposite side of the air hockey table to insert the money. “I can’t wait to see the look on your face when you lose,” she sang.

“I’m going to destroy you,” Shaun barked.

“We’ll see,” Gretchen smirked.

And fifteen minutes later, Shaun ended up eating his words. The alcohol set in shortly after he made his first goal and his game quickly went downhill. He couldn’t block worth a shit, his aim was suffering, and he was struggling to keep up with the puck. He got some points by chance, and because Gretchen really wasn’t that good, but she was playing Shaun’s weaknesses to her advantage. She concentrated on keeping the puck off her side of the table and Shaun’s sloppiness did the rest.

“I told you,” Gretchen jeered when the game ended, and Shaun was glaring up at the score, glowing in red digits over the table. Ten to twenty-four. “I told you I’d wipe the floor with you.”

“You wouldn’t have beat me if I was sober,” Shaun grumbled.

“Yeah, well, you’re drunk, and I win.” Gretchen breezed back to her chair and fell into her seat. She crossed her slender leg over her knee and grabbed one of the fireballs. “Now…truth or dare.”

Shaun staggered back to the table and slumped into the chair next to Jesse. “This is so fucking lame!”

“You can still fuck me if you want,” Jesse said softly.

“Not with that bitch in the room,” Shaun snapped. “She’ll try to film us.”

“How did you know?” Gretchen laughed. “I’ve been dying to see you in action.”

“Fuck you,” Shaun muttered under his breath.

“Your first, Shaun.” Gretchen downed her shot. “Truth or dare? Pick your poison!”

Shaun glared at the girl. “Dare.”

“I dare you to kiss the waiter when he comes back,” Gretchen said.

“Fuck no,” Shaun grabbed one of the shots and drank it quickly. “We’re going to need more shots.”

“You can only skip three times, for your information,” Gretchen sneered.

“Noted,” Shaun said through his teeth.

“Your turn,” Gretchen said boredly. “You pick the next victim.”

Shaun looked around the small group. Jesse was an easy choice and he skipped him without a second thought. “Ben,” he started. “Truth or dare?”

“Truth.”

“How often do you watch porn?”

“Once a day?” Ben shrugged. “When I masturbate?”

“Aww, that’s nothing. I’m on Pornhub right now,” Gretchen pulled up her phone to display a graphic video featuring a pussy and a monstrous dick.

Shaun wrinkled his nose. “What are you watching?”

“I’m not answering any questions out of turn.” Gretchen tucked her phone away. “And I’ve gotta say, this isn’t living up to my expectations.”

“Good,” Shaun sneered. “You totally ruined mine.

“Shut up. It’s Ben’s turn,” Gretchen snapped.

Ben tapped his chin as he considered the group. “Jess. Truth or Dare?”

Jesse’s eyes lit up with excitement. “Dare.”

“I dare you to...show us your wang!”

Jesse shrugged. “Okay.”

“Jesse.” Shaun face palmed. “Just take a drink. You don’t have to do it.”

“I know,” Jesse said as he got out of his chair. “But I’m doing it. I’m not afraid.” He unzipped his fly and pulled his pants to mid-thigh, so his cock and balls were on full display. He turned so he faced the other two, a soft blush spreading across his cheeks. “Can everyone see?”

Shaun’s mouth went dry. “Fucking pull up your pants already!”

“Turn a little to the right,” Gretchen said loudly and raised up in her chair so she could get a better view. “Not bad,” she said with a nod. “Respectable.”

“Thanks.” Jesse pulled his pants up just as quickly as he’d pulled them down. “That wasn’t so bad. I guess.”

Shaun choked.

“I wasn’t doubting it or anything, but you’ve got balls, kid,” Ben laughed. “I wouldn’t have done that.”

Jesse took his seat again. “Ben. Truth or dare?”

“Again?” Ben slid to the edge of his seat. “Let’s try a dare this time. Lay one on me!”

“I dare you to kiss Gretchen,” Jesse said. “And when I say kiss, I don’t mean a friendly little peck. I mean a deep, passionate, I-wanna-fuck-you kiss.”

Gretchen groaned with disgust as Ben gave Jesse a long, thoughtful look. Shaun hoped he’d refuse, when…

“Challenge accepted.” Ben got up and stepped around Gretchen’s chair. “C’mere, woman.” He grabbed Gretchen by the shoulders and pulled her in for a kiss.

Gretchen put her hands against Ben’s chest and let out a muffled cry as he claimed her mouth. Then, Ben slid his tongue along Gretchen’s bottom lip and her arms dropped to her sides. Her lips began to move against Ben’s, and he closed his eyes with a groan of excitement and deepened the kiss.

“Alright, break it up!” Shaun said loudly and Ben and Gretchen promptly split apart. Jesse glared at him, but Shaun didn’t care. He wasn’t amused in the slightest.

Gretchen pushed Ben away. “That was terrible. She fussily wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. “Jesus, I feel bad for Angela.”

“Screw you. You loved it,” Ben said with a laugh. “Admit it. You were getting wet and everything.”

Gretchen rolled her eyes. “No, I wasn’t.”

Ben’s smile became lecherous. “I dare you to stick your fingers in your panties and show us you’re dry then.”

Jesse burst into laughter. “You are so perverted!”

“I didn’t pick dare either,” Gretchen complained. “But fine. If you want to know so bad.” She spread her legs, so her skirt bunched up around her waist and a cat tattoo, high on her thigh, slid into view. She slipped a hand down the front of her panties, the cat winking at them coyly, and pulled her fingers out again, dry as a bone.

Ben pouted. “Really?”

“Sorry, fellas, if you wanna see me squirt, it’s gonna cost you a thousand tokens,” Gretchen said tauntingly.

“How much does that cost in regular money?” Ben whined.

Gretchen played idly with her lip ring. “Probably more than your paycheck.”

Ben continued to mope.

“My turn!” Gretchen cheered. “Shaun! Truth or dare.”

“Fuck this. Let’s get this over with,” Shaun huffed. “Truth.”

“What’s with the scars on your arms?” Gretchen asked. “Were you in a horrible accident or something?”

Shaun sobered in a heartbeat. “I’m not talking about that.”

“Aww, are you going to give up because I asked about your little scars?” Gretchen said in a baby voice.

“Fuck you, cunt.” Shaun bared his teeth.

“Shaun…” Ben started.

“Fuck you, too, Ben,” Shaun hissed. “Back off!”

Ben zipped his lips.

Shaun leaned over the table so he could get in Gretchen’s face. “I cut myself, Gretchen,” he spat. “With a big, sharp hunting knife…. That’s how I got these cute little scars.”

Gretchen’s expression faltered, but she didn’t back down. “And why would a pretty boy like you do something like that?”

“Because,” Shaun hissed through his teeth. “I’m not pretty. I’m hideous.”

“Who told you that?” Gretchen asked casually.

Everyone.”

Gretchen pulled back the slightest bit. She was trying not to show it, but her white-knuckled grip on the edge of the chair gave away her unease.

“What other questions did you want to ask?” Shaun bared his teeth again in a grim facsimile of a smile. “I’m an open book. Ask me anything!”

Gretchen chewed her lip. “When you say everyone…”

“I mean the assholes at school,” Shaun elaborated. “And the other jackasses back in Hallettsville.” He slammed back another shot. Jesse was right. He did need alcohol.

Gretchen wrinkled her nose. “Why?”

“Fuck if I know anymore,” Shaun sighed heavily. “They used to hate me because of my parents. Then, they hated me because I’m an asshole, and I don’t like to take showers.”

Gretchen snorted with amusement. “What?”

Shaun knocked back another shot. The waiter was due for another round. There were only two more glasses on the tray.

“What happened with your parents?” Gretchen asked boredly.

Ben rubbed his hands together. “I’ve been wanting to know this story for the longest time.”

Shaun glared at him.

“Did I miss something?” Gretchen quirked one of her pierced brows.

Shaun selected one of the last two shots and looked deeply into the tiny, amber drink. “My parents are dead. I live with my grandparents.”

Gretchen’s other eyebrow rose into her hairline.

Shaun choked back the fireball, then loudly cleared his throat. “My dad raped and killed my mom with a knife. Then he slit his own throat.”

“That’s what happened?” Ben’s mouth dropped open.

“Yep.” Shaun nodded somberly. “And I was there. I watched the whole thing happen….”

There was a long and awkward pause until, suddenly, Gretchen started to laugh.

Shaun gnashed his teeth at the girl. “What the fuck’s so funny?”

“You’re fucking joking, right?”

Shaun ground his teeth together as Gretchen continued to laugh, too angry to speak.

“Of course it’s not a joke!” Jesse glared at her. “Who would joke about something like that?”

“Someone who wants to make a name for themselves in the heavy metal scene,” Gretchen said with an eye roll. “That sounds like somebody’s emo origin story.”

“Fuck you,” Shaun growled, grabbing the last shot. “Fuck all of you.” He gulped it down, then burped.

Jesse pulled a face. “And what’s your awesome origin story, Gretch?”

“Are we still playing the game?” Gretchen flipped her hair. “It isn’t your turn.”

Jesse gave her a look and Gretchen smiled a little.

“Gosh, I don’t know,” she started. “If we’re making them up, I didn’t have a chance to come up with one yet.”

“I didn’t make it up!” Shaun cried. “And where’s that fucking waiter?!”

“Well, my story isn’t nearly as interesting as yours,” Gretchen drawled. “I was the fat kid growing up, so I got used to being teased. I lost weight in junior high, but all the other girls were getting boobs, so,” she pointed down at her chest. “You can see I never got any of those and they started teasing me again for it, fucking losers.”

Gretchen paused as the waiter appeared with another round of shots. Shaun took one as soon as they were within reach and glared at the waiter as he collected the empty glasses and scurried back to the bar.

“I wanted high school to be different, so the summer before I started, I dyed my hair, tore up my clothes, and bought the drum kit from the college kid next door with the money in my piggy bank.” Gretchen continued with a fond smile. “The guy down the road heard me playing in the garage one day and asked me to play for his band. We started fucking a week later and I was finally cool.”

“Adorable,” Shaun sneered.

“Alrighty! My turn,” Gretchen started, but Shaun cut her off.

“Nope. Jesse stole my turn,” he said. “I answered a bunch of questions and then Jesse butted in.”

Gretchen scowled at him. “Fine.”

Shaun turned to Jesse with a grin. “For stealing my turn and making me lose at air hockey—”

“I didn’t make you lose,” Jesse snorted.

“I dare you to suck my dick in the instant photo booth.” Shaun nodded to the gimmicky curtain-drawn machine tucked into the corner of the room. “Now.”

“Okay.” Jesse grabbed a shot and downed his drink in a big, audible gulp.

Shaun did another fireball, as well. “Gah...Shit!” The whisky burned his throat.

“You’ve gotta get pictures to prove it!” Gretchen jeered. “Ben! Money!”

Ben slipped a couple dollar bills across the table.

“Why do you have so many singles?” Shaun asked curiously.

“For fun and games.” Ben waggled his eyebrows. “Go. Before the waiter comes back.”

Shaun got up and took a few, shambling steps. He was unsteady and Jesse made it worse when he slid out of his seat and bumped into him.

“Woah. That shot went straight to my head…Is the room spinning? Or is that just me?” he asked.

Shaun grabbed Jesse’s arm for support. “The room’s definitely spinning.”

“Good luck, you two!” Gretchen called after them. “Aren’t they sweet, Benny?”

“The sweetest.”

Shaun and Jesse stumbled into the photo booth and Shaun fumbled with the dollar bills.

“No, wait until I’ve got you hard. It’ll make a better picture.” Jesse fell back on the little bench and tugged on Shaun’s belt loop to pull him around.

Shaun towered over Jesse’s little figure. His groin was right in the other boy’s face. “How do you want to do this?” he asked in a rough voice.

Jesse wordlessly unzipped Shaun’s fly and worked his jeans down to his knees. He took Shaun’s rapidly hardening cock in his hand and stroked it warmly.

Shaun watched Jesse play with his dick for a few seconds. “I said blowjob.”

Jesse brought Shaun’s cock to his lips and laid a wet, open mouth kiss on the tip.

“That’s better,” Shaun grunted.

Jesse sucked him into his mouth and worked his tongue around the fat, pulsing head. He slid his lips up and down the shaft as he squeezed the base with his fingers.

Shaun’s eyes fell closed as he forgot about the bar outside and their waiting friends. He slid his fingers into Jesse’s soft hair and held onto him as he sucked his cock. The soft sucking noises Jesse made with his lips and his tongue were incredibly hot and Shaun moaned with pleasure. He tightened his grasp on Jesse’s hair and gently thrust his hips so his cock slipped deeper into his throat.

Jesse swallowed hard to avoid gagging and blinked up at Shaun, tears of strain in his gorgeous blue eyes…He nodded at the photo machine.

“Oh...fuck...yeah, right.” Shaun unfolded the money and dropped all but one of the bills in his clumsiness. “Shit.” He jammed the dollar into the slot and prayed it’d take. An image came up on-screen. Shaun’s ass in black and white. “Great,” he growled.

“Mmph!” Jesse pulled him sideways and Shaun’s cock sprung up on the screen. It was a very flattering profile and Jesse shifted his body so his face was right next to it.

The camera flashed.

“Fuck!” Shaun glared at the lens over the screen. “Was that the first shot?”

Jesse sucked Shaun’s length deep into his throat as the camera flashed a second time.

Shaun fisted his fingers in Jesse’s hair and tried to concentrate on the feel of his hot, wet mouth. Jesse bobbed his head and expertly polished his knob as the camera flashed twice more.

“Shit!” Jesse’s mouth felt like heaven and Shaun bucked his hips into Jesse’s face as he spiraled ever closer to orgasm. He came powerfully moments later and shoved a fist into his mouth to muffle his desperate sounds. He stumbled against the screen in the aftermath, his cock slipping from Jesse’s lips.

Jesse neatly swallowed his mouthful of come and beamed up at Shaun. “Let’s get another set of pictures. Of our faces.”

Shaun was still trying to catch his breath and he scoffed as he pulled up his jeans and tucked his dick away. “For our memory book?”

“Yeah,” Jesse said. “Why not?”

“Move over then.” Shaun squeezed onto the bench beside his boyfriend. “Do I have to smile?”

“It wouldn’t be authentic if you did,” Jesse gathered the money off the floor and slid another dollar into the machine. “Ready? Put on a big frown!”

Shaun glared at himself on the screen while beside him, Jesse smiled brilliantly, like the sun. The flash went off and Shaun’s scowl was forever captured on film.

Jesse wrapped his arms around Shaun’s neck and kissed him sweetly on the cheek. He kept his lips there as the second flash went off and grudgingly, Shaun turned into the kiss and captured Jesse’s lips. He tried to forget about the camera as Jesse smiled against his lips and the camera flashed.

They kissed passionately as the last image was immortalized. Their tongues were in each other’s mouths when the curtain was suddenly ripped back.

“Are you guys done yet?” Gretchen stood on the other side of the curtain, hands on her hips. “What! Kissing? You’re supposed to have a mouthful of cock, Jesse!”

Jesse snagged the first strip of images from the photo machine and handed it to Gretchen.

Slowly, Gretchen’s eyes got wide. “Woah. Is that your third arm?”

Shaun ripped the picture out of Gretchen’s fingers and glanced at the images. There was his cock, front and center. The ones below it were of Jesse working his magic and he sucked Shaun’s impressive length with obvious enjoyment.

Shaun folded the sheet in half and stuck it in his back pocket. “Nobody else is ever going to see this.”

“Hang onto that.” Gretchen laughed. “If we make it big one day, maybe we can sell it.”

“Fuck no!”

Jesse squeezed out of the booth. “What time is it? There aren’t any windows in this place.”

Gretchen checked her phone. “It’s almost midnight.”

“What!” Shaun looked around the dimly lit room, but it didn’t help. “How the fuck is it midnight!”

The three of them went back to the table and found Ben picking at the remains of the appetizer platter. There wasn’t much left, just a pile of cold French fries and some unused dips. Shaun kicked his chair out of the way and looked around for another drink.

“Did the waiter come back?” he asked.

“I think he’s cutting us off,” Gretchen glared into the other room. The bar was visible, and it was starting to thin out. “I think they’re about to close.”

“It’s Friday night,” Jesse whined. “Why would they close so early?”

“It’s the holidays and shit,” Gretchen collected her bag with a sigh and flipped her hair over her shoulder. “Let’s move this shebang back to the house. C’mon Ben. I want to pick up a case or two of beer at the 7-Eleven.”

Ben crammed a handful of fries into his gullet, then hopped up to follow the drummer.

Shaun stuffed his hands in his pockets. “We wasted the whole goddamn night,” he muttered. “Shit!

Jesse slid his arm through Shaun’s and fell into step beside him. “It wasn’t a waste. Look.” He held up the picture from their second round in the photo booth. “I’m gonna get it framed,” he cooed. “It’s our first picture together!”

Shaun couldn’t help it. He smiled faintly. The first picture was of him, glaring impotently at the camera while beside him, Jesse beamed like an idiot. In the second image, Jesse had his lips on Shaun’s scowling cheek. They were kissing in the next one and Shaun could see the tension in the line of his shoulders as he tried to forget the camera. In the fourth image, the kiss continued, but neither of them were aware of the camera any longer. The look on Shaun’s face was…unfamiliar. He looked…happy...blissful...he and Jesse were sealed in a perfect, eternal kiss.

Shaun folded the picture like the first.

“Please don’t throw it away,” Jesse pleaded as they exited the bar. “I want to keep it. And the other one, too.”

Shaun gave Jesse a serious look. “Only if you promise not to show anyone.”

“Who would I show it to?” Jesse smirked. “My brother?”

Shaun’s nostrils flared. “Swear your brother won’t get his grubby hands on my dick pic.”

Jesse crossed his heart. “I swear.”

“On your life.”

Jesse rolled his eyes. “I swear on my life. There. Happy?”

Shaun yanked him close and aggressively claimed his lips in a passionate kiss.

Jesse eyes glittered in the moonlight when they separated. “I love you…”

Shaun smiled at him. “Love you, too, dork.”

“Hurry up!” Gretchen yelled from the parking lot and Shaun looked over Jesse’s head. She and Ben were already at the car and Gretchen pulled repeatedly on the handle. “Open the door, douchebag!”

Shaun stashed the pictures for later. “C’mon. Let’s get out of here.”

The four of them piled into the Mustang and Shaun drove them across the street to the 7-Eleven.

“Card please!” Gretchen asked as Shaun got out of the car to let her out.

Ben handed Gretchen his Visa with a groan. “Go easy on me,” he moaned. “Angela is going to murder me when she sees the monthly statement.”

Gretchen bounced past Shaun and headed into the store.

“I’m in so much trouble,” Ben whispered as Shaun got back behind the wheel. He glanced in the rear-view mirror and saw Ben had his phone out and was gazing morosely at the screen. “We spent two hundred dollars at the bar just now.”

Shaun rolled the window down and craned his neck to see into the store. There were big glass windows, but they’d put up a huge advertisement for Pepsi and Frito-Lay and he couldn’t see Gretchen. “How much beer is she getting?”

“I don’t know,” Ben whined. “Jess, can you go help her please? I’m in financial shock right now.”

“Kay.” Jesse hopped out of the Mustang and disappeared inside.

The car was eerily silent in Jesse’s absence. They were the only car in the lot.

Ben spoke up after a moment. “Fun night.”

“Yeah,” Shaun murmured, but he was thinking about the show tomorrow. He was nervous but the feeling was distant. It still hadn’t set in that he’d be on stage tomorrow, with no one but Ben and Gretchen to back him up. He’d never been center stage before. What the fuck was he going to say? How was he supposed to handle the crowd?

A riot of pops and bangs erupted from behind the dumpster and Shaun flinched.

“Shit!” Ben jerked. “It’s fireworks.”

Gold and blue lights crackled over the gas pumps as a lady in a hairnet ran out of the store. “I told you an hour ago! No more fireworks!”

Three boys ran out from behind the dumpster, laughing.

“Happy Fourth, bitch!” One of them yelled over his shoulder.

Shaun snorted with amusement. “Fucking assholes.”

“There’ll be a lot of that tonight,” Ben said. “Or maybe we missed it.”

“There’ll be more tomorrow. In Houston.” Shaun peered into the store, but he didn’t see Jesse either. What was taking so long?

“Probably,” Ben said in a distant voice. “So, did you see that kiss earlier?”

Shaun snorted. “With Gretchen?”

“Of course you saw it,” Ben muttered. “What am I even saying right now?” He watched the miserable looking 7-Eleven employee drag herself back to the store. She’d chased the brats to the damned corner and everything. Shaun felt bad for her. He imagined he’d be working some shitty shift right now if he’d gotten a job like Jesse wanted him to. “What I mean is…” Ben started again. “What did you think?”

“What did I think?”

“Yeah,” Ben hedged. “I mean, Gretchen’s cool. Right?”

“She’s cool as our drummer,” Shaun sneered. “But that’s about it. If she weren’t good on the drums, I wouldn’t mess with her.”

Ben bit his lip. “She’s not the type I generally go for, but there’s just something about her…”

“Stop.” Shaun turned in his seat so he could glare at the man in his backseat. “You’re getting married in a month.”

“But you said earlier—”

“Fuck what I said before,” Shaun growled. “You and Gretchen aren’t allowed to kiss. Got that?”

Ben’s eyes were as wide as saucers. “But…”

“It’ll fuck with the band,” Shaun said aggressively. “And you are not allowed to fuck with my band. Do you understand?”

Ben nodded somberly.

Another round of firecrackers came from around the corner and the same hair-netted employee came out and stood in the doorway. She glared into the parking lot with eagle eyes as Jesse and Gretchen finally emerged from the store with armloads of snacks, canned soda, and two cases of beer.

Shaun got out to assist the two struggling retards. “What’s all this shit?”

“Snacks!” Gretchen said. “For the house.”

“So unnecessary,” Ben groaned from the car. “We’ve got most of that at the house.”

“Pfft. These are our snacks. I’m not touching Angela’s organic, gluten-free, portion-controlled snack-ettes.”

Shaun made a face. “Eww.”

“Exactly.”

They loaded up the trunk and climbed back in the car. It was a short drive back to Ben’s house and Gretchen cracked a beer in the back seat.

“Fucking bitch,” Shaun grunted. “Give me one.”

Gretchen handed him a beer over the seat.

Jesse gave him the eye when he cracked it open. “What?” Shaun laughed. “I’m already drunk. What’s it matter.”

“That’s so dangerous,” Jesse said disapprovingly.

“Everything I do is dangerous.” Shaun snorted. “I live on the edge.”

Jesse shook his head.

When they got back to the house, they went down to the basement for another round of drinks.

Gretchen opened a bag of chips as she kicked back on the couch. “Wonder what’s on TV?”

Ben grabbed the remote. “I watched the funniest movie ever last night.”

Shaun chugged his beer and aggressively crushed the can. “Are we staying up all night?”

“Probably,” Gretchen drawled. “Do we got any weed?”

Ben pulled a beautiful nugget of Mary-Jane from the coffee table. “I got us something special for tonight.”

“Ooooh, wow.” Jesse leaned in to get a better look. “That’s gorgeous.”

Shaun sighed and settled in for a long night. He wished they’d practiced. He wished he felt more prepared. He tried his hardest not to think about it though. He wasn’t going to let anyone smoke him under the table. He took the blunt when it was passed to him and settled in for Ben’s movie.

Copyright © 2024 mastershakeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Jesse needs to tell Shaun the truth about Brian, if he doesn't tell him soon, he could lose his boyfriend.

Shaun needs to realise the band will not have instant success. He also needs to sort out his anger issues.

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

About Brian... I'm waiting for Jesse to tell us who the mother is, where Brian was conceived, and how he got custody. (Um, can we assume he did not knock up his mother?) I'm more than curious because as often as they seemed to move around, it seemed strange that they had stayed in one place that long. 🤔

Regardless, I also wonder how Shaun is going to take this news. 🤭

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

About Brian... I'm waiting for Jesse to tell us who the mother is, where Brian was conceived, and how he got custody. (Um, can we assume he did not knock up his mother?) I'm more than curious because as often as they seemed to move around, it seemed strange that they had stayed in one place that long. 🤔

Regardless, I also wonder how Shaun is going to take this news. 🤭

Jesse said they had moved about twenty times. It gives enough time for a baby to pop out. I assume this was one of his no consequences girlfriends, just an easy screw. I can understand why Jesse wouldn't want to abandon him as he and his siblings have been shunned by their fathers.

  • Love 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

I hope you don't have Shaun speed and F up the car.

I would nominate Eli for sainthood.

If you think hotdogs in your mac and cheese is trashy, Hey I like hot dogs in my Mac and cheese

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

If you think hotdogs in your mac and cheese is trashy, Hey I like hot dogs in my Mac and cheese

I'm eating hotdogs and mac right now 😆

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..