Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Attraction - 1. Chapter 1 - Average

I am an average looking guy. Quite decidedly so. On a good day with very well chosen clothes I may turn a head or two, but after a once over, audience generally loses interest. Not that I haven’t elicited enough keenness from guys to accumulate experience in the sack. With a lot of calculation and striking precision of a sniper I manage to get some without sabotaging the ego entirely.

Not that I am unpleasant looking or grossly out of shape. Some people even find the pattern of hair on my chest sexy. But without Brad Pitt’s face or body (short and too lazy to exercise), or even a porn star’s appendage (it’s the least God could have given me), I am not a blindingly alluring package in the eyes of Gay men. And that’s been proven to me repeatedly in all set-ups – streets, night-clubs, dating sites, bath-houses. It’s with this browbeaten understanding that I look about for my Shining Knight to grow old with.

One of my times for looking is mornings. On the train, sipping my latte, I check out guys on the way to work. Or let’s say, I look for this one guy, others just get swept into the net I cast. He is way out of my league, this guy. Athletic, towering man who rides a bike to work, whose well-fitting shirts show off the absence of love handles, whose serious thick eyebrows betray the supreme importance of his emails, guys like him generally cohabit with others of the species who project equal appeal. That is, people unlike me. The chances of his swinging the correct way aren’t great either. Only positive I have noticed is the absence of any ring on his finger. I still ogle him. Bad for mental health - I know! Just that the coffee and he together get my day going.

By the time my stop arrives I would have undergone one complete cycle of: longing - attention seeking – frustration – longing – calm acceptance. In the end, work becomes something to look forward to. Crossing the streets, tapping my way through the elevator ride, I manage to shrug off the sadness derived from rotten luck. I mentally go through the tasks on hand while walking to the desk, saying Hi-s on the way. As the rational mind takes over, I transform into the competent Product Manager that I am. Mercifully, it’s something I am not average at.

 

 

I was in an online meeting when Trevor came knocking to my cubicle. I signed to him that the call is winding up. He pointed to his stomach. I nodded and held up ten fingers. He waved and went back. Little over ten minutes later, we were in the sandwich deli across the street from our office building.

“How was the weekend?” Trevor asked, with his mouth full. He’s this smart, blond, dashing colleague who I came out to before awkward crush killed any chances of becoming friends. He was nice about emphasizing his straightness and a great relationship thus began.

“Not too bad! Did some grocery shopping, got some cleaning done, picked up a new book, watched a game..”

“You got laid” he noted between bites.

“And I got laid” I added before diving into my salad.

“Any good?”

“It was alright, nothing ground breaking” I shrugged. “What did you get up to?”

“Went for a movie with Cara”, Cara was his girlfriend. In fact, she was only the second girl he had ever introduced me to. I knew there had been more. There must have been.

“Yea?” I asked “Which one?”

“Gatsby”

I stopped chewing. “Really? Did you guys like it?”

“Yea! Leo’s good.”

“I know” I agreed enthusiastically. “If he dies at the end of a movie it’s bound to be good.”

“True that.” He agreed as we concentrated on finishing our meals.

As we headed out of the joint I enquired if he wanted to go for the soccer game on Sunday.

“May be… Is the weather good?”

“Bright and shiny says weather.com”

Trevor made the brooding face in which his lips curve downward with lower one jutting out, “I might! Let me ask Cara” he said. “If she doesn’t have anything planned, we can go.”

I know that most gay guys are generally jealous of their hunky friends’ girlfriends – I’m not. Trevor and I do not hang out much on weekends anyway, what with his mountain rescuing and rock climbing commitments, things I’m not into. We do meet up when he wants company for drink and no one else is around. I’m kidding. We just hang out at work and go for drinks every other week on a weekday. It seems natural to socialize with other friends on weekends.

“You guys seem to be getting serious” I pointed out. It was not a nonchalant remark.

“I know right?” Trevor had this disarming habit of sounding surprised with himself. Some attributed it to his dumbness given his jock credentials, but I knew how intelligent he was, so it was easy for me to like this eccentricity.

“Planning to pop the question are you?” I quipped.

“May be, I’m not getting any younger.”

We continued our conversation in the elevator.

“Is that the deciding factor then - Age?”

“Don’t get cynical on me. I just meant that it’s the right age to start a family if I wanted to. So thinking of marrying the person I’m in love with is only natural.”

“Wow!” I was surprised. “You guys used the L word?”

Elevators opened and I followed a grinning Trevor like the nag that I was.

“Yes!”

“Wait, when did this happen?”

“Saturday night.”

“Wow, and all you could come up with when we talked about the weekend was that you saw Gatsby? Dude!”

Trevor turned and placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Calm down man!” he said. “I was embarrassed, OK? Not that I didn’t want to tell you.”

He smiled abashedly. His shyness always showed up in unexpected situations. I could not help my smile.

“Congrats man!” I said with genuine happiness. Sounding like a hyper teenaged girl I asked, “So you guys going steady now?”

“Shut the fuck up!” he said good-naturedly, as we parted ways. I heard him add, “I’ll ask her about the game”.

“Cool”, was my shouted response.

As the day progressed I could not help feeling a little jealous of Trevor. I know he’s a good friend and all, but closing in on thirty and with no prospects of a relationship for me, I was not exactly peachy about learning that my very handsome friend had entered a serious, hopefully lifelong, one.

Feeling sorry for myself is not a state I let last too long though. When work wrapped up, therefore, I decided that a release was mandated. Post a nice Italian dinner I wrapped the day up with some bath-house fun.

Copyright © 2013 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice start to a story. Hopefully he gets more confidence in himself. He if continues to see himself as lackluster and how hum that's all anyone else will see to. I'm looking forward to see what's in store for him.

Link to comment
On 06/05/2013 07:38 AM, Daithi said:
Nice start to a story. Hopefully he gets more confidence in himself. He if continues to see himself as lackluster and how hum that's all anyone else will see to. I'm looking forward to see what's in store for him.
Thanks a lot for reading. You're my first reviewer ever! Your observations about the lead are right. Hope to keep you entertained.
Link to comment

Yes. Neat start. I can identify. Was in the same boat until guys started saying i was a looker. But yeah, always kind of glossy when my friends got involved and i was a loner. Seems like yesterday. Nice start. Look forward to the next.

Link to comment
On 06/05/2013 02:45 PM, LJH said:
Yes. Neat start. I can identify. Was in the same boat until guys started saying i was a looker. But yeah, always kind of glossy when my friends got involved and i was a loner. Seems like yesterday. Nice start. Look forward to the next.
thanks LJH. hope you like how the story unfolds.
Link to comment

nice start. thought provoking.

just one thing though. "I am an average looking guy. What are my chances of finding true love?" i dont see how "true love"(or just love, u can say) is related to looks? there are something like 7 billion people out there in the world. may be if there was just 1 guy out there, and the rest of the 699,999,9999 people coveting for his love, may be it would come down to details like good looks and stuff.

Link to comment

Well, he says he's an average looking guy. He does find others to be with, but maybe if he wants a lasting relationship, he should hang out at other places besides bathhouses. lol And I thought bathhouses didn't exist anymore. I just Googled it and boy was I wrong! haha

 

Anyway...love Trevor, he sounds so cute. Hey, does Cara know about the main character. What is his name, it wasn't mentioned, was it? Anyway, maybe she has a friend she can introduce him to.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter. Oh, btw, Gatzby is Gatsby. ;)

Link to comment
On 06/08/2013 12:02 PM, Lisa said:
Well, he says he's an average looking guy. He does find others to be with, but maybe if he wants a lasting relationship, he should hang out at other places besides bathhouses. lol And I thought bathhouses didn't exist anymore. I just Googled it and boy was I wrong! haha

 

Anyway...love Trevor, he sounds so cute. Hey, does Cara know about the main character. What is his name, it wasn't mentioned, was it? Anyway, maybe she has a friend she can introduce him to.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter. Oh, btw, Gatzby is Gatsby. ;)

Thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake

the main character's name doesn't come up in this chapter since most of it is described by him. Hope you enjoy the story

Link to comment

Average, I hate this word. If you think you're average you broadcast ordinariness and that's how others see you. Let's see if he can break that circle. Nice start.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..