Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 11,776 Words
  • 10,299 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indiana Summer - 12. Progress and Pitfalls

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is purely used for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Also AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat.

Please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story as well as any other I might post. Please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.

 ***************************************************************************************************************

Indiana Summer 12: Progress and Pitfalls.

Elders’ aggravated snort once again pulled me out of my thoughts. I had drifted off into my memory of last night for what had to have been the hundredth time. The first time it happened I damn near smoked my thumb with a hammer. As it was, I only clipped the tip, but I had a nice little blister forming for it.

It was getting close to the end of the day and I was down at the pole corral waiting for Billy to get home, it was where we had decided to meet so I could give him my answer.

Answer…what in the hell does he expect me to say?’ I asked myself as I rested my head in my hands, my thoughts going back to the night before on the edge of the woods coming back from the barn dance.

                                                           *         *         *

“You kissed me.” I sputtered again as I watched Billy continue to rub his thumb knuckle against his bottom lip.

“Yea we’ve established that David.” Billy said calmly, even though he was blushing in the moonlight.

“Why?” I asked quietly, trying not to sound as confused…and turned on…as I was.

“That’s…complicated.” Billy said nervously as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Simplify it, quickly.” I said, trying not to sound agitated.

“It’s just…I mean…we’re friends,” Billy stuttered for a few minutes before stopping, taking a deep breath, before trying again, “ I know I’ve made a lot of progress lately but something is still bothering me…I’m still really uncomfortable when it comes to being…physical…toward guys. I mean you saw me when Julian picked me up and spun me around the other day…can you imagine what’ll happen if or when I start dating? The guy tries to hold my hand and I’ll have a panic attack.” Billy said with a short humorless chuckle.

“Ok…so you thought kissing me was the best way to get over that particular fear?” I asked a little exasperated.

“Alright, alright; maybe hauling off and kissing you wasn’t the best idea but it was spur of the moment…my idea though does sort of have to do with you though,” Billy said and I nodded at him to keep going, “I was wondering…I mean I know you’ve already helped me so much and if this is asking too much I completely understand…but I was hoping that, you know…maybe we could try being…a little…I dunno; physical around each other?” Billy asked at last, completely unable to look me in the eye as the blush flooded his face.

I was…I don’t know, either…A) shocked, flabbergasted, embarrassed, completely turned on at the idea of being ‘physical’ with the hot hunk of farm boy in front of me…or B) all of the above?

“Billy…I think I need a little definition of what you mean by ‘physical’.” I asked, trying to keep things logical. I mean, hell yea I was attracted to Billy but beyond that I really cared about him…I mean a LOT…I didn’t want to do something like sleep with him or take advantage of him and then head off in two months.

“Relax David, I don’t mean like sex or being naked or anything like that…Just contact, a touch or hug maybe…maybe even a small kiss or something. Just…I don’t know, just something that will help me with my contact issue…” Billy said and I had to smile a little…god he was cute when we got flustered…well cuter than normal at least.

“Is that why you’ve been more touchy-feely lately?” I asked as I remembered Billy’s actions recently.

“Yea, I apologize for that by the way…I should have asked this earlier…It’s just, I know, it’s a lot to ask and I know you're gay too so I thought you’d know where and how to touch…outside of being sexual…it would help me prepare.” Billy said and now I saw a hint of worry on his face…this was something that really scared him…worried him.

I knew it was a terrible idea to even think about saying yes to Billy’s request but…god it would mean so much to him…and I won’t deny that I’d love a chance to be able to touch…and be touched more…by Billy, even in a casual way…but what would it do to the two of us when we parted ways at the end of the summer?

“This…this is kind of a big request; will you give me some time to think about this?” I asked and Billy smiled shyly at me as he nodded his head.

“Yea…take all the time you need…We should go ahead and get inside then…I have to be up early.” Billy said as he hesitantly patted my shoulder and the two of us set off toward the house again.

                                                           *         *         *

I didn’t get a damn bit of sleep that night, laying awake there listening to Billy snoring softly, thinking over his request. It meant so much to him; he was so worried about how he would react later. I knew enough about Billy to know that he wasn’t actually exaggerating either; his worry about physical contact with a guy would cause him to clam up and close off, sufficiently screwing his chance at a normal relationship or date.

For a second I tried to forget about it all, to focus on Elder, Shadow and Speckle eating, drinking, and running around the corral, but it was a no go. I knew I had to make a decision, I even knew what that decision should be…but that didn’t mean that I was going to make the right one.

As I was thinking I failed to notice that Elder had come close to me until he stamped his hooves and snorted loudly.

“Stamp and snort as much as you want big guy, I’m not afraid of you.” I said with a smile. I wasn’t really afraid of him anymore, not now that I knew what his issue was. He was a lot like Billy actually, he may look, and act, big and bad but in reality he was just scared and mistrustful, everything else was just posturing.

“He wasn’t trying to scare you or intimidate you, he was greeting me.” Billy’s amused voice damn near made me jump out of my skin, Elder neighed.

“He’s laughing at you now.” Billy said as I turned to him, he was either really quiet or I was more engrossed than I thought I was.

“You really know him that well?” I asked and Billy nodded.

“The laughing thing I’m making up, he could be doing just about anything as far as I know but the greeting thing, that I’m sure about. It’s how he acts everyday after school when he’s been pinned up in his stall all day.” Billy said as he walked up to the ropes and reached out to Elder, whom immediately came close enough for Billy to rub his head.

“How was your first day at work?” I asked as I leaned closer to Billy, not touching but close enough to feel the heat coming off him, Billy’s face fell.

“The work was good, fed the pigs, cows, and chickens. Milked a couple cows and started working on his fences, the posts are rotten all the way through, I had to dig them up, It’ll take me at least a week to get those finished. The apples weren’t ripe enough for me to pick today.” Billy said as he leaned forward and touched his forehead to Elder's, he looked strained.

“But?” I asked and Billy looked at me with a small smile.

“Too obvious?” He asked and I chuckled.

“No, not at all, I’m sure you mind meld with the horse all the time.” I said and Billy laughed.

“Did you just make a Star Trek joke?” Billy asked incredulously as he moved away from Elder to look at me fully.

“Did you just understand my Star Trek joke?” I asked and Billy smiled.

“The Voyage home is my favorite of the old movies, you?” Billy asked and I smiled, I never met anyone my age that liked the old Star Trek movies, at least that wasn’t one of those over the top freaky sci-fi fanatics.

“The Voyage home kicked ass, was it just me or did Spock fit in the best on twenty first century earth?” I asked and Billy bust out laughing, I had to join.

“Of course he did, I mean why wouldn’t the recently resurrected Vulcan have fit in better than a bunch of actual humans?” Billy asked with a smile. I just shook my head; we could debate Star Trek later.

“Talk to me farm boy, how bad was she today?” I asked and Billy sighed and turned back to Elder.

“Bad. I thought the clothes she had been wearing were tight but the shirt and shorts she had today…I swear those Daisy Dukes were so tight they were painted on and if her shirt wasn’t from the junior’s section I’ll eat Elder.” Billy said as he shook his head.

“Is it like this with all girls or just her?” I asked and Billy shook his head.

“It’s just something about her…I mean I can, and have been, around girls all the time. Not to brag or anything but at the barn dances I’ve got girls hanging off me and dancing close to me or up against me, even when I’m dancing with Sam and it's ok but Candace…she makes my skin crawl.” Billy said and I put my hand on his shoulder.

“Was it just the clothes or did she throw herself at you again?” I asked and Billy nodded.

“Yea, about five times an hour at last count, I swear I can feel her finger prints on my arms and my neck and if her chest brushes up against me one more time I’m going to strangle her.” Billy said sadly and without thinking about it I moved my hand from his shoulder up to the back of his neck and squeezed gently.

Billy closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh as he relaxed back into my touch. I smiled as the muscles in his shoulders relaxed and drooped.

“We could always find a way to get you out of this, Billy.” I said and Billy shook his head, but didn’t move from under my touch.

“No…I mean I hate leaving you to do all my work and I’m worried about Dad getting rid of Elder and Candy might drive me out of my mind but the longer I can stick it out the more money it’ll net me, and I want, and need, the money.” Billy said as he finally stepped out from under my hand and reached for Elder again, who hadn’t left his master’s side since he first touched him after coming back. I’d be willing to bet anything that he knew how messed up Candy was making Billy.

“Why don't you go get washed up, we can talk more later. Maybe walk down to Sam’s before supper.” I said and Billy nodded with a smile before petting Elder and sending him on his way.

Before he walked away Billy grasped my forearm, rubbing his thumb back and forth over my skin he looked up at me, a question on his face. Without thinking about it I put my hand on the wrist of the hand he had on my arm, letting my thumb brush the back of his hand. I smiled and nodded at him.

“Thanks…for everything…it means a lot to me.” Billy said as he let his hand slide down my arm and walk off toward the house.

As he left I turned back to the corral, Elder was back and staring at me.

“You should have stopped me Elder…this isn’t going to end well, for me or Billy.” I said miserably and Elder walked closer to me. For a second he just stared at me and I cautiously held my hand out close to him, just to see what he would do.

I was shocked as hell when he leaned his head down and just barely touched the tip of his snout to my out stretched fingers before turning around and taking off at trot to the far side of the corral.

Maybe there is some hope for both of you.’ I thought as I started back toward the barn. I still needed to put down straw in the horse stalls.

* * *

I let the hot water pour down me as I braced my hands against the wall of the shower. It felt so good, washing away the dirt, sweat and grime. I picked up my wash clothe and after adding a generous amount of soap I started to scrub down, paying special attention to my arms and neck and everywhere else Candace had touched me.

After a very thorough once over I brought my hand back up to my neck and squeezed it a bit, just like David had done down at the horse corral. I loved it when he touched me, it didn’t matter in what way or for what reason but I loved it. For that reason alone it was probably a bad idea to ask him to help me with my little problem but it was the only thing I could think of…

Besides, the slim prospect of getting to kiss David again was far too good of a prospect to pass up.

Other than being the first, and truly the only guy I had been able to trust with my issues thus far I had started to really like and care about David as a friend, and maybe even a little more. I knew it was a bad idea to ask him to help me with my contact issue, that if I let it get too far I’d end up hurting like hell when he left at the end of the summer but I was going to hurt anyway so what was a little more pain?

I did a quick job on my hair, rinsed off, and stepped out of the shower. Once I was toweled off and dressed I headed downstairs.

“Billy honey, is that you?” Mom called from the kitchen. I made a detour to see what she needed.

“Yea it’s me, you need something?” I asked. Usually I wasn’t impatient but I wanted to help David with the horses and visit Sam, I really needed them at the moment. Walker, Chris and Julian might all be cool with me but David and Sam…they were my rocks.

“I just wanted to give you this.” She said as she handed me a small stack of plastic pouches, I knew what they were without even needing to look at them.

“Mom, where did you get these? Dad’ll have a fit if he finds out you bought them.” I said as I took the packages, holding them close to my body.

Mom smiled first at the little stack of violin string packages in my hands then up at me.

“What your father doesn’t know won’t hurt him. I was talking to Mrs. Anderson last night and she mentioned she was going down to Madison to pick up some new strings for her violin and I asked her to get you a few packages as well. Your father never looks at the check book so he’ll never know.” Mom said and I shook my head, she had been getting more and more rebellious when it came to my dad’s crazy rules.

“Thanks mom,” I said as I leaned in and kissed here head, “I’m going to run these upstairs then David and I are going to go down and see Sam, unless you want help with dinner.” I said and mom shook her head.

“You boys go ahead and have fun, just be back in time for David to wash up before supper.” Mom said and I nodded.

After dropping off my new strings in the top of my closet with the violin I headed down to the corral, David was still standing against the ropes watching the horses.

As I walked up behind him I put my hand on his back, between his shoulder blades. It was so easy to make contact with him, even easier than it was with Walker and Chris, and I had known them for years.

“You’re looking pretty focused there.” I said and David looked at me, a weird expression on his face.

“Elder touched my hand.” He said and I damn near fainted.

“What…how?” I asked as I looked over at Elder, he wouldn’t look at me though.

“I was just standing here and he walked up to me and stared at me so, out of impulse I reached out my hand and he touched my fingers with his nose.” David said, sounding awestruck. I had to admit I was feeling it too, Elder willingly coming near and making contact with someone that wasn’t me.

“Do…do you think he’d do it again?” I asked and David just shrugged, still looking a little out of it.

I turned back to the corral and called to Elder. At first I didn’t think he was going to come but after a few seconds hesitation he turned and cantered toward me.

“What’s wrong big fella, you’re acting all skittish.” I said as he came close enough for me to reach out and touch him. Elder was indeed acting strangely, he wouldn’t make eye contact with me and he danced away from David.

As I rubbed his face he calmed down a bit but I was still confused by his behavior.

“Maybe…maybe he’s scared…”David said and I turned to him, puzzled, “Well I’m just saying, you said Elder is really smart, that he understands things. Maybe he freaked himself out when he came up to me…you said that he only trust you and won’t let anyone come close to him without…maybe he shocked himself.” David explained and I had to wonder if he was right.

I wondered for a few minutes if it was a good idea to try and see if Elder would let David touch him again but I thought better of it and decided to wait till later, maybe after supper.

“Let’s take these guys back up to the barn, let them rest.” I said and David nodded, stepping back to let me untie the ropes and call Elder out to me. David let me and Elder get ahead before he hooked up Shadow and Speckle to follow us.

                                                           *         *         *

Once we had the horses back in the barn Billy and I set off for Sam’s. My head was still buzzing with Elder’s behavior. It was really freaky, it seemed that the more progress Billy made on his issues and problems the more accepting Elder became, it was like they were linked or something.

I didn’t mention this to Billy though, he may have been in touch with Elder but even I thought my idea was a little crazy.

Any further thoughts of Elder and Billy’s strange connection though was forced out of my mind when I felt the soft brush of Billy’s arm against mine, the backs of our hands brushing made goose bumps erupt up and down my arm, I hoped Billy didn’t notice.

“You cold?” He asked with a smile as he motioned to my arm.

“No, no I’m fine.” I said as I deliberately pressed my arm against his until we were touching from the elbow down.

Billy smiled and blushed but didn’t pull away, he just pressed back a little more firmly.

We kept bumping and shoving against each other as we trekked to Sam’s till we were damn near holding hands by the time her house came into view. Once we got close enough Billy pulled away a bit, he probably worried about freaking Sam out.

I hung back at the steps to the deck, letting Billy retrieve his girl.

“Hillbilly!” I heard Sam call as I looked over a flower that was growing in a pot by the stairs.

“For the love, you just saw him last night.” I said with a smile as I turned to see Sam stepping out of her house, Billy in tow.

“Shut up ugly…before I smack you with my mothers’ fichus.” Sam said with a smirk as she motioned to a thick green plant on the corner of the porch.

“Ugly? How dare you! I’ll have you know that back home I have guys and girls alike pawning after me.” I said, feigning offense, Sam just laughed.

“They must be blind then, or at least have extremely low standards.” She said and I looked over her shoulder to Billy, he was holding his ribs and biting his lower lip, the little shit was laughing at me.

Deciding to take a different route I steeled my self and walked up to Sam, putting on my most charming smile and schooling my voice into a sweet, solicitous tone and walked up to her.

“You know Sam your quite the looker, fiery red hair, pretty blue eyes, smooth pale skin, you look absolutely delicious.” I said as I stroked a lock of her hair with one finger.

Sam was good enough to look surprised, even a little flattered, before she snatched my finger and with a sharp jerk twisted my entire arm outward.

“Does that weak ass play ever actually work?” Sam asked with an amused little glint in her eye as she twisted a little harder, making my knees want to buckle.

“That line always works, and it would have worked on you too if you weren’t hung up on Julian.” I said and Sam twisted my arm harder.

“And what is that suppose to mean?” Sam asked and I smiled at Billy over her shoulder, he looked a little upset, but as though he was trying to hide it.

He must be upset that we’re arguing, things did just get back to normal between them.’ I thought to myself and decided to cool things down.

“Just that you were looking at him like a starving dog looks at a bloody steak, which is fine, can we just drop it?” I asked and Sam just cocked an eyebrow at me but let me go none the less.

“So, what are you two doing down here?” She asked as she led the two of us off the deck and down the road.

“I just got back from the Murphy farm, and David was done with my work so we decided to come down here.” Billy said and Sam gave him a confused look.

“Why were you at the Murphy farm?” Sam asked and Billy looked at me sheepishly.

“I sort of work there…” Billy said before launching into an explanation of what happened between his father and Mr. Murphy.

“Good god…please tell me you don’t have to put up with that over the top, blimp chested, bleach blond bimbo he calls a daughter!” Sam hissed as she came to halt in the middle of the gravel road.

Billy just ducked his head looking embarrassed. I came up to him and put my hands on his shoulders, making him relax a bit with my touch.

“Candace has been….making her interest for Billy known in a very blatant way.” I said and Sam cocked an eyebrow at me.

“English please.” She said and I squeezed Billy’s shoulders.

“Tell her.” I whispered and pushed him a bit toward Sam.

“She hangs on me…touches me, prances around in barely there clothes, presses her chest against me every chance she gets and it gets to me, it makes me uncomfortable.” Billy said in a low monotone and Sam looked outraged.

“Have you told her to stop, that you weren’t interested?” Sam asked carefully and Billy turned away, looking upset.

“No…I’ve tried, but every time I open my mouth she does or says something that completely screws my focus and I clam up.” Billy said and Sam looked furious again.

“OK, I see…you two wait here I’ll be right back.” Sam said as she strode away, before she went too far though Billy and I had caught up to her.

“Where are you going to Sam?” I asked as I grabbed her arm, I let go quickly though at the look she gave me.

“Nowhere that you two need to know, it’s called plausible deniability.” Sam said sweetly and Billy took my spot in front of her.

“Samantha.” Billy said warningly and Sam actually stopped, how the hell does he get that kind of power over her?

“Billy baby don’t worry, I’m just going to go dunk Candy in some water till she melts….or stops kicking; whichever comes first.” Sam said without a hint of humor or sarcasm and for a second there I believed that she would do it.

Billy though smiled at her and pulled her into what had to have been a bone crushing hug, if the pained look on Sam’s face was any indication.

“Sam I love you like the sister I never had, but I can’t allow you to bump off Candace.” Billy said and Sam looked disappointed.

“Why not, I honestly don’t think anyone would miss her.” Sam said and Billy actually laughed.

“Honestly because as much as I hate this job and as bad as she makes my skin crawl I need the money; it's not a lot but I’d like to get it anyway.” Billy said and Sam scoffed, but it didn’t look like she was going to protest.

“Fine,” Sam sighed in exasperation, “But if I find out that she's popping her ponies at you again and getting all 'handsy' with you I WON’T be responsible for my actions.” Sam said as she flipped her hair, looking angry.

“I promise not to tell you then.” Billy said with a laugh.

“You’d better tell me boy or you’ll be next, I am the only woman; beside your mother, who is aloud to get touchy feely with you.” Sam said and I burst out laughing at the seriousness in her voice.

Sam though didn’t like that and soon I found myself falling ass first onto the rocky ground, the shock sufficiently forced all the humor out of my system and I glared up at her.

“I’m giving you a ten second head start red.” I said as I stood up and Sam just smirked at me.

“One, two, three, four.” Sam started counting off smugly and suddenly I lunged at her, tossing her up on my shoulder.

“Where the nearest body of water Billy, the first time didn’t work but maybe it will this time.” I said but before he could answer Sam elbowed me in the back of the head, causing me to stumble forward and loose my grip on her, Sam just slid back to stand in front of me.

Before either of us could do anything Billy pushed his way between us.

“Ladies, gentlemen, can’t we all just get along here?” Billy asked and Sam glared at me.

“HE’S no gentleman.” Sam said violently.

“And SHE is far from a Lady.” I replied and suddenly the two of us realized what we’d said.

We caught each others eyes and suddenly we were laughing our asses off, both of us hanging off Billy shoulders for support.

“What in the hell is wrong with you two?” Billy asked, completely perplexed.

Sam and I pushed off of Billy and simultaneously reached out and we shock each others hand.

“You’re alright City boy, I mean David.” Sam said with a smile and I nodded to her.

“Yea, you are too, Samantha.” I said and Sam just shook here head.

“Ok…can one of you explain why you two suddenly like each other?’ Billy asked and Sam looked at him.

“Like, we don’t like each other. We just…understand…each other.” Sam said and I nodded to her. Billy just looked confused.

“Think of it this way,” I said and Billy looked at me, “We’re like the positive side of two magnets, we can’t touch; but we can come close. We’re too damn much alike to be friends, but we can be nice to each other.” I said and Billy nodded.

The three of us set off again, veering off the gravel road and down a small slope to a shallow part of the river. As we walked by the water Sam and I explained about the whole ‘Lady’ and ‘Gentleman’ thing from earlier. By the time we were done even Billy looked amused.

“I swear you two have to be the strangest sorta-but not quite-friends I have ever met.” Billy said as he picked up a stone and skipped it across the water.

“Yea well if it were for you we wouldn’t even be talking.” Sam said and Billy looked at her.

“What? We have you in common, you’re our connection.” Sam said and I nodded my agreement.

Billy didn’t say anything else; he just laid down on the ground and put his head on my thigh, his hands over his chest.

Sam looked at me inquisitively and I just shook my head mouthed to her “It’s not what you think.” I didn’t know if she could read my lips or not but she nodded as if she understood.

We stayed by the river for about an hour talking, well Sam and Billy talked, I just listened. I lay back on the ground and put my hands behind my head and relaxed.

“Shove over Billy; I’m not lying on his knee.” Sam’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I raised my head to look at her.

Billy didn’t say anything to her, he just smiled and scooted up to rest his head on my stomach and Sam took his place on my thigh.

“Do I get a say in this?’ I asked as they made themselves comfortable on me.

“Nope.” They said in unison, both with a smile.

I just shook my head and lay back down, letting Sam and Billy have their way. I didn’t mind Billy lying there, and in fact wouldn’t mind he did it more often, but I could have done without Sam.

Without thinking about it I moved one hand from behind my head and let it rest on Billy’s shoulder, with my eyes closed I felt Billy move his head and rub his cheek against my stomach for a second before turning it back skyward.

“So when is the next dance?” I asked and Billy laughed lightly.

“There are two full moons next month, we’ll probably have one each night, you gonna come and actually do something beside hideout with Chris?” Sam asked snidely and I bounced my leg, knocking her head askew a bit.

“I dunno, you think you could stand to dance with me Samantha, or would I need to clear it with your boyfriend first?” I asked with a smile and Sam hit in my shin.

                                                           *         *         *

Once we got home from hanging out with Sam, David and I immediately went upstairs. David headed for the shower and I reached into the top of my closet and pulled out my violin and packets of strings.

Carefully I pulled the strings through and anchored them in place. Once they were anchored I plucked them gently, testing to see if they were in tune. It was a little difficult after so long to tell but I think I had them pretty well.

I picked up my bow and inspected it, the horsehair appeared to still be in good condition so I retightened it and brought the violin up to my chin and closed my eyes. I knew dad could be home at anytime but I wanted to hear it and couldn’t wait.

I brought the bow to the strings and pulled gently, loving the vibration of the music running through me, I didn’t really play anything, just played the notes and strings that felt right.

I was so focused on playing that I didn’t know David had come back to the room until I was done and opened my eyes to see him staring at me from the doorway, for some reason he was only dressed in his jean shorts, no shirt or shoes. I looked at him with just as much fascination as he looked at me, my eyes going between his chest and stomach down to his feet…for some reason.

“That was…that was just wow. What were you playing?” David asked, breaking my concentration on his body.

I blushed furiously as David sat down on his bed across for me. I wasn’t sure what it was for though, the fact that I was drooling…and fantasizing about his body, or that he had complimented me.

“It wasn’t anything…not really. I was just fiddling around.” I said with a small smile.

“Fiddling around?” David asked with a smile and I had to laugh a little, I didn’t even think about my choice of words.

“Yea I was just getting a feel for it again, warming up some.” I said as I looked down at the instrument across my lap.

“If that was a warm up than I can’t wait to hear an actually performance, you need to write that down or something, I mean seriously.” David said as he lay back on his bed and put his hands behind his head.

“Yea…maybe I will.” I said absently as I looked him over again. I could stare at his body for hours and not get tired of it, the tight, slightly tanned chest dusted lightly with dark hair, soft, dark nipples, a tight six pack with dark furred treasure trail.

My eyes flicked up to the curve of his bicep then down to his smooth underarm, for some reason I was seized with the desire to run my fingers against the soft hollow of skin. I wondered what his skin smelled like, tasted like; I licked my lips at the thought of licking or kissing his body.

“Will you play something else for me, please?” David’s voice once again yanked me out of my thoughts, his eyes were still closed so he didn’t see me staring; thank god for small favors.

“Yea, I can do that…just keep an ear out for my dad.” I said and David nodded, his eyes closed still.

Sitting up a little straighter I brought the violin back up to my chin and brought the bow back against the strings. I didn’t close my eyes this time, I wanted to watch David; wanted to see how he reacted to the music.

Like before I didn’t think about what I was playing, I just put the notes together at random. I don’t know which was better, the feeling of the bow in my hand and the strings under my fingers or to stare unabashedly at the rise and fall of David’s chest as I played.

It was a tie, and I loved every second of it.

As focused as I was on the music…and David, I didn’t realize that we had a visitor; at least until mom cleared her throat.

I jerked so hard that I damn near dropped my violin and David moved so quickly to sit up that he nearly fell out of bed.

“I really and truly hate to interrupt but your father just pulled in. He’s unloading things into the barn so I thought I would let you know.” She said as her eyes swept between me and David, she was smiling.

“Th…thanks for the let know mom.” I managed to stutter out as I set my violin in my lap, hiding the bulge I realized was there.

“Of course honey, you really need to play for us again soon though…I think David really enjoyed it.” She said as she walked away.

Once she was gone I looked over at David to found him staring at me.

“What?” I asked with a small smile and a blush as I put my fiddle away.

“It’s just…wow. I mean if you sound that good after years of not practicing then I think I’d probably die actually hearing you play something when you’re completely on form.” David said and I blushed more heavily.

“They say it’s like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget.” I said, trying to deflect some attention away.

“No...that’s not it, it's you. I saw you when I first came in, it was like…I don’t know it was like watching a master at his work. It was like…harmony.” David said as he struggled to find the words and I didn’t think my face could get any more red.

“Ok, ok, ok, stop, I get it. I’m good.” I said with a smile as I stood up and walked over to the door.

“Yea, you’re good; very good.” David’s voice was close behind me; his breath tickled the back of my neck.

I froze as I felt his hands on my sides, his thumbs rubbing my back.

“You should practice more though, every day in fact.” David said quietly and for some reason I shivered and leaned back into his touch.

“Ye…yea I intend to.” I stuttered and David chuckled and pulled away.

I looked over my shoulder to see him pulling on a shirt before he turned back to me.

“Let’s go get some grub.” David said and I nodded.

David padded barefoot downstairs with me into the kitchen, mom was already in there.

“Oh good you boys can give me a hand,” She said with a smile, “David you can slice the pot roast, no thicker or thinner than a quarter of an inch and Billy mash the potatoes please.” Mom said a she tasted the lemonade she was making, checking the sweetness.

As the two of us started on our respective chores I looked over at David, he always seemed to have a smile on his face when he was asked to help out with a meal, I wondered about that.

Soon we were done and David and I sat the table while mom poured three glasses of lemonade and pulled a beer out of the fridge for dad. She really hated the fact that he drank any sort of alcohol but had never been able to make him give it up.

Once we had the food down on the table and the plates and silverware all set up the three of us sat down and waited for my dad to come in.

“Are you sure he’s home?” David asked after a bit as he checked his watch, ten minutes had passed.

Mom nodded but got up and looked out of the kitchen window toward the barn.

“His truck is here.” She said before she came back to the table.

“Should…should I go out and see if he needs some help?” I asked, unable to control my fidgeting.

“Nope, let him sit out there and stew if he can’t come in and ask for help. He knows dinner is promptly at six. I suggest you both tuck in, I intend to.” She said as she speared two slices of roast beef.

I looked hesitantly at her but followed suit as I looked over to David. His expression was somewhat confused and worried but he started loading his plate too.

As we ate all three of us sat there and tried to pretend we weren’t nervous as hell, David kept glancing toward the kitchen and the door into the living room; waiting for my dad to burst in. I understood that, my hearing seemed to be hyper aware, I could hear every squeak, creak and whine that drifted through the house.

Mom, though she pretended other wise, wasn’t immune either. She was only picking at her food and every now and then she would freeze and cock her head as if she was listening for something.

Just as I was pushing my empty plate away, deciding against a second helping even though the roast and potatoes were great, I heard the front door open and slam closed.

I heard dad walking through the living room, coming toward the dinning room. I ducked my head and stared at my plate, holding my fork so tightly I knew my knuckles were turning white.

I wanted to look up at David and mom but I couldn’t seem to move my head and the second the dinning room door swung open my breath caught in my chest.

“What’s going on here?” he asked, his voice hard edged.

“Supper is what is going on darling. I hope you didn’t expect us to wait just because you wanted to be tardy to the party, there are other people to think of in this household after all.” Mom said, her voice was even, not sickly or falsely sweet like it had been lately.

I chanced a glance up from my plate, I couldn’t look at dad or mom so I focused on David; the second our eyes met I could tell he was thinking the same thing I was.

This could get very ugly.

“If I had known that supper was done I wouldn’t be late. I don’t see any casts so I don’t think any of your legs are broken. I suppose you have an excuse as to why you couldn’t come out and say something.” Dad said and I felt his eyes on me as he spoke.

“No, no excuse. You know we have supper every night at the same time William. I was here, the boys were here. I see you’re still wearing your watch so you knew what time it had to be. We were at the table on time so I decided to start supper. You never had a problem eating without one of the boys when they were younger so I really don’t see why you are so upset.” Mom said and I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye, she was looking at dad with a steely look in her eyes.

Dad didn’t seem to have a rebuttal for this. He sat down in his usual chair and started to load his plate up with food and ate in silence. I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t even remotely hungry anymore but at the same time I was afraid to move, to get up from the table.

“Is it alright if Billy and I are excused? I’d like him to check over some of the work I did today.” David’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked up at him, fighting the smile I felt wanting to form.

David though wasn’t smiling; he had a determinedly stoic expression on his face.

My eyes flicked between my folks, dad looked ready to kill but mom had a small smile on her face; I noticed her eyes taking in mine and David’s plates.

“Of course, just put your plates in the sink on your way out.” She said and David nodded.

“Come on Billy, if you're done that is; if not I can wait for you.” David said but I shook my head.

“No it's ok, I’m done.” I said and picked up my plate and followed David into the kitchen.

Neither of us said anything as we put our plates into the sink and walked out the back door toward the barn.

“Don’t you want to go put your shoes on?” I asked but David shook his head.

“No, it's fine.” David said with a smile as we reached the barn.

“Thanks for breaking the tension in there, I was about to loose it.” I said and David smiled and patted my shoulder.

“Trust me; I wasn’t doing it for you or at least not just for you. I thought your dad was going to go nuts there for a second.” David said and I smiled slightly.

“Yea I know it…I was expecting him to do something extreme.” I said as I walked over to Elder’s stall, and motioned for David to come closer.

Once David was at my side I reached up and rubbed Elders head, he responded to my touch immediately. His eyes closed and I reached for David’s hand, but he beat me to it. He raised his hand and set it along side mine, rubbing Elders head with me.

“I’m gonna pull away now.” I said and David nodded.

I pulled my hand away and Elder immediately opened his eyes and stared at me.

“Easy boy, it's ok, it's just David. Stay calm.” I crooned and oddly enough Elder obeyed.

David seemed ecstatic about it, Elder focused on him as he brought his other hand up to stroke his face, leaving his left hand near his jaw but letting his right hand drift up to neck, toward his mane.

“See? I’m not dangerous big guy, I’m no different than Billy. You can trust me…yea I didn’t raise you or protect you or any of that other good stuff but I’m still a nice guy.” David crooned, his voice was low and happy sounding and I forced myself to hold in a laugh, not wanting to break the spell that lay over him and Elder.

I heard Elder’s tail swishing and smiled, Elder was happy.

Quietly I walked behind David and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my chin on his shoulder.

“I think he likes you.” I said with a smile and David chuckled.

“The feeling is mutual,” David said as he let his hands fall away and rest them on mind, which were clasped together on his stomach, “I like him almost as much as I like you.” David said I felt myself blush.

“Jeez dude, if you're gonna blush every time I compliment you at least move first so you don’t give me sunburn.” David groused but made no move to push me away, and I didn’t let go.

“Maybe he will let you ride him soon.” I said and David shook his head.

“I need to learn to ride a horse first before I try and take a turn on Elder.” David replied and I smiled.

“How about we go for a ride tomorrow after I get back from the Murphy farm?” I asked and David chuckled.

“You asking me out on a date Billy?” He asked and I felt myself blush and pulled away.

“I was just joking about the sunburn thing Billy.” David said as he turned back to me.

I smiled weakly and just shrugged my shoulders. I hadn’t thought about how it would sound, asking David to go ride with me. I knew he was probably joking but when he said that it made a weird connection in my mind.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” David asked as he stepped up to me.

“Nothing…it’s just…I’m being stupid, it's nothing.” I said and tried to turn away but David stopped me.

“Billy I was just joking, about the dating thing.” David said and I nodded.

“I know, and that’s fine. It's just you said that and I took it to a weird place in my head is all... let’s just forget it.” I said and David looked reluctant but nodded.

“So are we still on for our ride tomorrow?” David asked as we walked back up to the house.

“Yea that sounds good. You want to ride Shadow or Speckle?” I asked and David shrugged.

“Which ever one you think is a good idea.” David replied and I nodded.

We walked back in the house to find the kitchen and dinning room both empty. The dinner dishes sat in the sink waiting to be done but mom and dad were no where to be seen.

“You don’t think their somewhere killing each other do you?” I asked.

“They’re your parents, you tell me.” He said and I had to laugh.

The two of us headed upstairs and fell back onto our beds, David immediately pulled out his MP3 player and I went to my closet and started to rifle through it, looking for my old sheet music.

                                                           *         *         *

“Hey David, Billy home?” The heavy baritone broke me out of my work and I laid my hammer aside.

“Hey Walker, no he’s not here. He’s working down on the Murphy farm, his dad's rented him out.” I said and Walker just shook his head.

“Anything about that seem a little messed up to you?” Walker asked as he looked over the work I was doing. It wasn’t anything major, just building new railings for the hayloft.

“What do you mean?” I asked as Walker took a swig out of the water I was drinking.

“Well I’ve been thinking about something. Billy has been having a really bad year till you got here, lots of stuff. His dad was a real problem. Then suddenly you’re here and he’s doing better. Then Candace comes back, who is a grade A slut if ever there was one. You saw what she was like down at the river and she was all over Billy and I don’t know if you noticed or not but he’s not big on her. Now suddenly he’s working on her daddy’s farm. I don’t know, it just seems a little messed up.” Walker said and I thought about it.

“She was here, watching us work and William let her, allowed her to stay and watch. He loved her, told her we could use the entertainment…and it was his idea for Billy to go work on Murphy's farm.” I said and Walker shook his head.

“See what I mean? Tell me that doesn’t sound suspicious to you.” Walker said and I had to admit he had a point.

“So you think what, that his dad is trying to set him up with Candy?” I said and Walker shrugged.

“No idea, it all just seems a little too convenient.” Walker said and I had to admit I liked hearing his voice, it was nice.

“So what brings you here anyway?” I asked I turned back to my work; I wanted to get the rails done so I could check the horse stalls and the horses.

“Oh I wanted to tell you and Billy not to plan anything for Saturday, I have something planned.” Walker said mysteriously and I cocked my eye at him.

“What are you planning Walker?” I asked but he shook his head.

“No dice David just make sure you got something you can get dirty in.” Walker said before he left the barn.

I finished the railings, installing them would have to wait; I’d need Billy’s help and a drill. After checking to make sure the horse stalls were good for another day I headed down to the corral.

“Elder, come here boy, come on.” I called out as I got close to the corral.

I didn’t expect Elder to come up to me at all but he surprised me by stepping just close enough that I could reach out and brush my hand against his nose.

“Good boy Elder, good boy.” I said but he wouldn’t move closer.

“You’re getting better big fella, just like Billy, making a little progress everyday.” I said and suddenly Elder tossed his head wildly and backed away from me, pawing the ground with his hooves.

“And what exactly is it that William is making progress on.” Old man Templeton’s voice made me jump and I turned to look at him, the look on his face worried me, he was curious, suspicious. He had heard me.

“I’m waiting boy, unless you’ve gone deaf and need me to repeat the question.” William said and I swallowed hard and tried to collect my thoughts, there was NO WAY I could tell him what I really meant, so I lied.

“Not being such an asshole,” I said, hoping against home that I sounded serious, “He’s been ass ever since I got here, he’s finally starting to loosen up, makes working with him easier.” I tried to sound snide but I don’t know if I pulled it off or not, and William didn’t look like he believed me.

William’s eyes flicked between me and Elder, who was still acting scared, before he said anything.

“Make sure the grain and water troughs are covered tonight, there is a thunderstorm system coming in later this evening.” He said before he turned and walked away.

I breathed a sigh of relief and turned back to Elder, hoping to be able to calm him down some.

“By the way city boy, I’ll make sure that Billy knows you have such a low opinion of him when I get the chance.” He said and even without seeing him I knew he was smiling, I could hear it in his voice.

It didn’t matter what he told Billy though, I had more credibility than he did, all I had to do was tell Billy what I really meant and it would be cool.

Let him tell Billy whatever he wants, won't bother me in the slightest.’ I thought to myself as I turned to try and- calm Elder down.

                                                             *         *         *

I was walking to my truck to go home when Candy caught up to me, her breasts bouncing obscenely in her barely there pink t-shirt. I had been lucky all day; Candy had been gone somewhere, getting her hair done by the looks of it. I hadn’t had to put up with her all damn day.

“Where're you off to in such a hurry sweetie?” She asked as she wrapped her self around my arm, her fingers playing with my hand and my upper arm getting pressed between her cleavage, I had to fight the urge to shudder.

“I’m just headed home Candace, it's been a long day, I’m hot, tired and a little sore.” I said, trying to be pleasant.

“Well why don’t you come in and rest a bit before you go home, I could even rub out all those sore places.” She said her voice low and seductive as she tugged me toward her house.

Mr. Murphy had left a few hours ago to go to town, I knew if I walked into her house I’d have a helluva time getting back out.

Come on Templeton, grow a pair and get rid of her.’ I chided myself silently before I stopped our progression and took a deep breath.

“Look Candace I know what you’re getting at, what you’ve been getting at and I’m flattered but…I’m just not interested and I would really appreciate it if you would stop coming on to me all the time. I really need this job and it messes with my focus.

I know you’re a great girl and everything but you’re just not for me. You don’t want me any way, I’m just a dumb hick. With your looks and your brains you could do so much better than me.” I said and yea I was stretching the brains part but I figured if she was happy then I might not loose my job.

“Aww Billy, you are so sweet and you’re more than a dumb hick…you are just what I’ve been looking for…are you sure there is nothing I can do to get you to change your mind?” She asked sweetly as she pressed herself against me again.

Yea you could morph into David Baily.' I thought silently and had to fight a smile.

“I’m sorry Candy, I’m just not interested.” I said and pulled out of Candy’s grip.

Candace looked at me in a disgruntled way before she plastered on a grin.

“Well you feel what you feel Billy boy, no harm no foul. I’ll just see you later.” She said and I swear she looked worried, even a little scared as she turned away.

Deciding I’d leave the mystery for later I hopped in my truck and headed home, looking forward to seeing the one person I was romantically interested in.

Just like before I found David waiting for me down at the horse corral, as soon as I came close enough I saw something was up though, Elder was tossing his head and neighing loudly, something had scared him.

“Hey what’s going on?” I called, breaking into a run.

“Your dad and I had a chat, I think him being so close scared Elder.” David said and I just nodded before I slipped between the ropes and walked cautiously up to Elder.

“Easy boy, calm down, come here big fella.” I said softly as I stepped in front of David, blocking him from view. I wanted Elder to focus solely on me.

I moved closer to him cautiously still talking softly as I went. Soon I was close enough to make physical contact and placed my hands on his head, stroking up and down.

Elder calmed down immediately and focused on me. As soon as he calmed down though I felt a hot surge of anger, Dad had caused this.

“Go on boy, I need to talk to David.” I said as I patted his neck and pushed him away.

I turned back to David to find him leaning against the rope watching the two of us.

“What happened?” I asked, leaning next to him, keeping an eye out behind David and him behind me.

David told me everything that had happened, including what he said about me to my dad.

“So he never talked or came near Elder?” I asked, I wasn’t fussed with what David had said, it was a cover; a ploy.

“No, not once, but as soon as he came up behind me Elder started in, and I haven’t been able to get him to calm down.” David said and I nodded.

“Yea…he panics every time Dad comes close to him, at least if I’m not around. If I’m with him he gets angry, protective.” I said and David looked at me, realization on his face.

“Billy what happened between Elder and your Dad, how did he get that scar on his arm?” David asked and I shook my head.

“Let’s talk about it later, I feel grungy, want to get a shower.” I said and David nodded.

We undid the ropes and I called for Elder, who walked right past David to me. David smiled and walked up to Shadow and Speckle with their halters. Once they were fastened on he followed us.

“Flip a coin for first in the shower?” I asked but David shook his head.

“Nope, I’m in first, I gave it up to you yesterday.” David said as we loaded the horses back into their stalls.

                                                             *         *         *

Soon Billy and I were showered back in the barn, saddling Elder and Speckle. I had to admit that as we lead them out of the barn that I was a little scared. I had never been on a horse before.

“You scared?” Billy asked me once we were out of the barn.

“Shitless.” I replied and he smiled.

“I know, just relax, this ain’t anything difficult. Keep your chin up, shoulders back, and your eyes forward. Also keep your heals down so if you get bucked off you won’t get tangled in the stirrups, and keeps your hands loose, but not too loose.

As a rider it’s your job to maintain control of the horse without looking like it. Speckle is a good horse, well trained, so all you’ll need is a light pull on the reins to change your direction and nudge with your heels to get him going. To stop just pull back on both reins till they're taught, don’t yank. You got it all?” Billy asked as he swung up on Elder.

“Yea, yea I think I’ve got it all.” I said, mentally cataloging all the information that Billy had given me.

“Before we go anywhere I’ll lead you down to the field and let you try your hand at steering. Speckle will follow Elder so hold the rein’s carefully. Wild horses live as a group and despite breeding and training they usually keep the mentality. Speckle and Elder have been raised together so if Elder were to ever run Speckle is likely to follow him, just something to remember.” Billy said as he tapped his heels to Elder’s flanks and set off.

I nudged Speckle and he set off after Elder, just like Billy said he would. Once we made it to the field where the corral stood Billy reigned in Elder and motioned for me to go ahead. I swallowed hard and set off.

I touched my heels to Speckle’s flanks and he started to canter around the field.

“Remember not to yank on the reigns when you want to turn, just pull the reign in on the side you want him to turn till it's snug and then tug gently.” Billy called and I nodded wordlessly.

I tugged left and Speckle turned obediently back toward Billy and Elder. Billy spent twenty minutes having me guiding Speckle around the field, having me work on stopping him and getting him going again.

“You're looking pretty good,” Billy said as he rode up next to me, “You keep letting your shoulders fall though so you need to be careful about that, you’ll make yourself sore otherwise. We can work on trotting and galloping tomorrow. For now let’s just take it slowly.” He said and I smiled, this was actually pretty fun.

“Awesome, so where're we going?” I asked and Billy smiled.

“There is a really easy trail through the woods, takes us down to the river. I think you’ll be safe with it.” Billy said and I nodded.

“Let’s go boy.” He said as he turned Elder toward the trees.

“Speckle’s not as responsive to verbal commands as Elder but he does listen, stuff like easy, whoa, steady, or just telling him what you want him to do along with the actions is helpful.” He called back over his shoulder and I nodded.

“Ok Speckle, lets get going.” I said awkwardly as I pulled the reigns toward Billy and Elder and nudged his flanks.

I smiled as Speckle set off, I would never be as good as Billy but it was nice. It seemed like Billy rarely had to watch where he was going, Elder seemed to know where he wanted to go and went. Speckle was pretty good about following the trail too so I tended to watch Billy.

It was easy to tell that he had been riding for a long time; he was very at home on Elder, moving fluidly with the horse, his stance was perfect but easy at the same time.

“There is a slope down to the river up ahead. Since your form is still a bit off we’ll stop at the top and lead the horses down.” Billy said and I called out an ok.

We came to the top of the slope and I reigned in next to Billy and Elder and managed to jump off the saddle.

“Easy there.” Billy said as he put his hand on my back when I stumbled a bit, I hadn’t been on very long but my legs were a little shaky.

We led the horses down the little slope till we got to the bank.

“We can take their gear off until we get ready to go home.” Billy said and I nodded and started to strip Speckle.

Once the horses were unsaddled and cropping the grass at the edge of the water Billy and I sat down, he took his shoes and socks, rolled his pant legs up and dipped his legs into the water.

“I stood up to Candy today on my way home.” Billy said as I copied him.

“How did that go?” I asked and Billy smiled and recounted his encounter with her.

I had to smile, leave it to Billy to be self-deprecating to throw off an unwanted attraction. Candy’s behavior though had me puzzled, especially when Billy said she acted like she was scared. I decided though that it wasn’t very important, and I didn’t tell him about Walker’s theory. I didn’t want him to worry about something that could be nothing.

“So you ready to head back home?” I asked awhile later, I didn’t want to be late for dinner.

“Yea lets go, I’m starving.” Billy said as he stood up and dried his legs and feet off.

It was lucky that we left when we did, as we rode dark clouds started rolling in and no sooner did we have the horses locked up in their stalls then it started raining.

“I’ll race you.” Billy said as he stood in the doorway of the barn, the rain was coming down in buckets and showed no signs of stopping.

“We’re gonna get soaked.” I said and Billy smiled wide.

“I know sugar melts but you’ll probably be ok.” Billy said, his eyes roving up and down my body; he was getting brave.

“On three.” I said and Billy took off like a shot before I even said two.

“You damn cheater.” I called out as I dashed into the rain, instantly getting soaked in cold water.

I could hear Billy laughing over the wind and rain and sped up, wanting to beat him home. It didn’t happen though. By the time I got there Billy was on the back porch leaning on a support pole catching his breath.

“You…cheated…” I said between breaths and Billy grinned at me.

“All’s fair…in love…and war.” Billy said, trying to catch his breath too, he was still smiling.

“Which is this?” I asked, straightening up.

“What do you think?” He asked and despite my better judgment I let my eyes rove over him too, he looked good, wet clothes plastered to his body. His shirt was black and clinging to him. I could see the outline of his abs and his nipples, standing erect from the cold water and air.

Billy’s eyes were similarly focused on me. Without thinking about it I stepped forward, letting my fingertips play with the hem of his wet shirt. Billy leaned in closer to me, our faces only a foot a part, my eyes focused on his lips as his tongue darted out to wet them.

I moved my hand from the front of his shirt to the side, the back of my hand brushing his forearm.

“Goodness gracious, you boys are soaked to the bone,” Annie’s voice broke our focus on each other, making us jump apart. For one wild moment I was sure we had been caught but she seemed to not have noticed what she walked out on, “You boys get in here into the warmth, I’ve got some towels in the dryer.” She said, snatching the two of us and pulling us inside.

We stood shyly with each other in the kitchen, waiting for the towels Annie promised us. Neither of us could look at each other, had we not been interrupted we would have been making out on the porch right now…That would have been a sight for Annie to walk in on.

“Here, you two get dried and then get upstairs and get into some dry clothes.” She said and we did as we were told.

Up in Billy’s room neither of us could look at each other as we pulled off our wet clothes, no matter how much we wanted to.

‘This is gonna be one awkward night.’ I thought silent once we were changed and heading downstairs.

                                                            *         *         *

I rolled over with a groan as a flash of lightning lit my room. I had been such a good dream, mom never interrupted David and I on the back porch, we ended up kissing and them somehow naked in my room.

Another flash of lightning, this one accompanied by a huge rumble of thunder; this one making the room shake slightly. As the thunder died away though I heard something else, like someone whimpering; I sat up and looked across to David’s bed, he was sitting up against the wall, his head on his knees.

“David are you ok?” I asked quietly. Before he could answer another clap of thunder hit, making David jump.

I got up and moved across to David’s bed, putting my hand on his shoulder; David looked up at me.

“I…I’m fine…It’s ok. You can go back to bed.” David said shakily.

Another flash of lightning and David jumped again.

“You don’t like lightning.” I said but David shook his head.

“Not the lightning…I don’t like the thunder. I know it’s just the air being superheated by the lightning but….” He trailed off, shaking his head.

“Yea, sometimes it just doesn’t register.” I said, finishing his sentence, I know how that felt.

As the thunder struck again I put my arm around his shoulder and pulled him to me and he put his head down on my shoulder.

Every time there was a clap of thunder David would shudder and burrow closer to me. Part of me wanted to laugh at the role reversal, him leaning on me for a change, but I couldn’t manage it; he was really scared.

After everything David had done, and was still doing for me it felt really nice to be able to be there for him, to help him. I pulled him closer and rest my head back against the wall and closed my eyes.

I love this guy.

***************************************************************************************************************

As always I want to send a big shout out to Lady Rush for her work in editing, without here I would be no where fast. I’d love to know what you all think of the chapter so feel free to drop me a PM, leave a review, e-mail me at allenarcane88@yahoo.com or visit the Discussion form, I read and respond to everything.

Discussion Forum Link

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/26094-indiana-summer/

  

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I know we talked before when this was posted on the old eFiction site, but I really love this chapter and this story - it is one of my favorites on the whole site - Billy and David just seem to pop out of the screen and feel so real. The whole awkwardness, the friendship, the tensions, everything, it is like I am there for everything. I ask you to hurry up with chapter 13 and beyond, but I don't want to rush you, not when you are doing it this well. :)

Link to comment

Great chapter, somehow I don't think we have seen the last of the Candace situation. Annie knows more than the boys think obviously. I think William is going to do something amazing stupid too.

Link to comment
On 06/02/2011 05:45 PM, Foster said:
Great chapter, somehow I don't think we have seen the last of the Candace situation. Annie knows more than the boys think obviously. I think William is going to do something amazing stupid too.
I am glad that you liked the chapter. I am not sure if we've seen the last of her or not; there is always a chance that she'll show up again. Annie, hmm yes she is an interesting one now isn't she? Alas i cannot speak for William. Not even i'm sure of what he'll do. BestNightowl
Link to comment

They're getting in deep. Hopefully Annie can protect herself and the boys. I want to find out more of David's past. What destructive behaviors was he involved in before he left? What is his dad like? I have a feeling that David's deeply hurt from more than just his mother but I might be wrong. It's not a strong feeling.

Great story. I'm really riveted.

Link to comment
On 03/15/2012 06:52 AM, Adamantyne said:
Been waiting for David to show some weakness. Nice that Billy can finally show some character :)
Hey Adamantyne,

 

David does try to appear as the perfectly put together person, doesn't like to show weakness. I thought it would be a good way to show some weakness on his part.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..