Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 11,147 Words
  • 10,809 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indiana Summer - 15. Concerts and Conversations

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Indiana summer 15: Concerts and Conversations.

Billy and I had a little bit of trouble when it came to keeping our hands to ourselves. I would have figured that Billy would be a little more hesitant and shy about the physical part of a relationship, given that it was his first real experience but I was wrong.

After the first few minutes of kissing and touching he opened up and became surer in his touches and a more aggressive kisser, though he still seemed to enjoy me leading and touching him more.

“I’d have thought you’d be a bit more hesitant.” I told him quietly.

Billy nuzzled against my bare chest for a few moments before he answered.

“I thought I would have thought so too but I guess once we got started…well I just couldn’t help myself.” He replied a little breathlessly as he looked up at me, his bright blue eyes sparkling.

I ran my hand up the back of his shirt as I reclined back on to his pillow. After a few moments of holding each other on the porch we decided that it would be a good idea if we moved up to the bedroom.

“So what else do you want to do today?” Billy asked, his warm breath left goose bumps on my chest.

I closed my eyes and brought my hand up to rest on the arm that was across my chest as I spoke.

“I don’t want to do anything. I want to stay like this all day long.” Billy chuckled at that and the action sent little waves of pleasure through my torso.

“That would be nice but you know we can’t.” Billy replied, I felt him smiling against my skin.

I rolled over and brought his face up to mine and kissed him again, bunching his shirt up as I slid my hand up his side.

“And why can’t we, there’s no one home but me and you?” I asked between little kisses on his lips and chin.

“Well I…I guess we could…at least till someone gets back. No work today after all.” Billy stumbled a bit at first…but that was probably because I had just slid my thumb across his nipple.

“I’m glad you agree.” I whispered as I kissed down his throat till I reached the collar of his shirt.

I moved us so that Billy was lying back on the bed and I was hovering over him. As I tried to push his shirt up he grabbed my wrists and held them tight.

“Come on Billy boy, fair is fair after all. You damn near ripped my shirt off when we got up here.” I smiled to let him know I was joking but it actually wasn’t too far from the truth; the door had barely closed before he was yanking my shirt over my head.

“I…I know…I’m sorry.” It was more of the frightened look than the whisper that made me realize there was something more to his reluctance than just shyness.

I let go of his shirt and reached up to stroke his cheek, Billy relaxed a fraction as he pressed against my touch.

“What’s wrong Billy?” I asked him quietly.

Billy blushed and looked away from me as he brought a hand up to rest on his chest…over his heart.

I flashed back to the day we went to play in the mud with Walker; I remembered the scar on his chest.

I slipped my hand under Billy’s and let me thumb stroke across where I figured the scar to be. I must have struck gold because the second I moved my thumb Billy shivered and tried to shy away more but I pushed him down.

“Don’t. Don’t shy away from me like that. Don’t hide.” I said as I leaned down and kissed the placed just under my thumb.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to. I just…I’m afraid.” Billy’s reply was quiet and he still wouldn’t look at me.

“You don’t have to be afraid with me.” I moved up and kissed him again, and let my hands bunch his shirt bottom up again.

                                                             *         *         *

As David pulled away again he pushed my shirt up, and this time I let him. I lifted my shoulders and let him pull it off over my arms and lay back on the pillow. My hands itched to reach up and cover my scar but the look in David’s eyes held me in place.

His hands tickled a little as he ran them up my sides up to my chest I shivered a little again as he ran his thumb over my scar.

“Tell me about it.” He said quietly.

I swallowed past the lump in my throat and after a few false starts I was able to talk.

“It was the first day you were here…you had gone to take a shower and I saw that your shirt was hanging out of the hamper,” I had to stop for a minute to swallow back my nerves, I don’t know why it was so hard for me to do this but it was, “All I meant to do was toss it further in but I felt that it was kind of damp so I picked it up and came back to my bed.” I blushed here and had to stop, god this was embarrassing.

“I brought the collar up to my nose…and I smelled it. It smelled good, earthy and musky and a little sweaty, of course…I liked it. I…I started to get turned on by it…and at first I didn’t fight it but…but then I heard mom and dad arguing and…well I told you about how I used to hear his voice chastising me…that’s what happened.

I got my box out and took off my shirt and…and…I cut myself. I’m not sure why I did it on my chest…maybe because it just felt right. It’s the last one I ever did though.” I finished quietly, I was still blushing heavily so I couldn’t meet David’s eye.

David though laid his hand on my cheek and pushed me to look at him. Our eyes met for a second before he leaned down to kissed me. David ran his tongue along my lower lip and I parted them to let him lick inside, I meshed my tongue against his; the rough brush of our taste buds made me shiver agreeably all over.

It didn’t last though; David pulled away and ducked his head. I felt the rough touch of his tongue on my scar before he pressed his lips against it.

“This one is mine; my fault and my responsibility.” David murmured against my skin before kissing the scar again.

“No David…it’s not…don’t do that.” I whispered out, feeling broken.

David braced himself above me on his hands and looked down at me his bright blue-green eyes sparkled with unshed tears.

“I want it. Maybe, maybe if I never came here you wouldn’t have it.” David spoke so quietly I nearly had to read his lips to understand what he said.

I raised a hand and ran my palm along his cheek, making him sigh and turn into my touch, leaving a kiss on my palm.

“If you hadn’t come here I would have more than this, but now I’ll never have another. You coming here have made life better for me, not worse.” As I finished little tears began to leak from the corners of his eyes so I used my thumbs to brush them away.

“I love you.” David whispered before ducking down and crashing his lips against mine again.

I ran my hand up his sides and back and over his chest and stomach, feeling the well toned muscles quiver and shake at the contact. One spot in particular caught my attention though, a little area down and to the left of his belly button, just above his waist band that makes him squirm every time I touched it.

Keeping David’s attention focused on the kiss I tickled the little spot deliberately. The reaction was immediate; David burst out laughing against my lips and pulled away from me, batting my hand away.

“Looks like I’m not the only one who is ticklish.” I had to smile at the glare that David sent me while he shielded the little patch of skin on his stomach.

“I am ­not ticklish. I just have a ticklish spot…or two…or three.” David blushed as he spoke.

I moved up onto my knees and gently pushed his hand away before caressing the little patch of skin, making David shiver in the process.

“You think that I’ll get the chance to uncover ­all those ticklish spots?” I breathed across David’s neck, making little goose bumps rise up on his skin.

“I…I dunno…probably…the way your going.” David whispered huskily.

I chuckled just a little bit and kissed David’s throat, next to his Adams apple. It was kind of comical to watch it bob up and down as he swallowed.

David hands landed on my waist and it was my turn to shiver as he ran them up my sides then let just his fingertips trail back down my skin.

I moved my hand up to the back of David’s head and brought our lips back together. David was an amazing kisser; he did this little curling thing with his tongue against the side of mine that sent every drop of blood in my body south.

Groaning softly as David did that curling thing with his tongue I rocked my hips against his, letting him know exactly how turned on I was. David pulled back with a sharp gasp when my hard cock brushed his equally hard one through the layers of fabric.

“How…how far are you ready to go Billy?” David asked quietly.

I actually had to think about that for a second, eager as I was I didn’t quite know what my limits were just yet. I looked up into David’s darkened eyes, not realizing I had dropped my gaze to his chest until I did so, I opened my mouth to speak but before I could answer a loud and all too familiar voice sounded from downstairs.

“HEY, I know you two are here somewhere. Get your asses down here…and Billy you’d best bring your fiddle.” Sam’s somewhat shrill call echoed all through the house, it’s a good thing my dad was gone.

“Do you think if we’re really super quiet she’ll leave?” David asked in a stage whisper.

“No she’ll just come looking for us. Is this really a position you want to be caught in by Sam?” I asked and David paled and shook his head.

I ducked my head and kissed David on his Adams apple again, he seemed to like that, before I moved off the bed and picked up our shirts.

David groaned and fell back to lay on my bed, his knees still bent under him. I had to laugh as I tossed his shit onto his face.

“Come on now.” I said as I dug my violin out of the closet.

“So not fair.” David muttered and I had to laugh again.

A few minutes later we were both re-shirted and heading down stairs.

“What were you two doing that it took you so long to get down here?” Sam asked as we pushed into the kitchen. She was standing with her hands on her hips and her eyebrow cocked in expectation.

“I was in the bathroom, thanks for shouting by the way.” David retorted snappishly but without any real heat. It was kind of funny to see them glaring at each other.

“And I was just in my room looking over some sheet music.” I didn’t like lying to Sam but I didn’t want to tell her about David and me just now.

“You two are so lying but I’ll let it slide for now.” Sam replied with a scoff and an eye roll.

David just shrugged and rolled his eyes.

“Whatever you say red.” He replied before leaning back against the counter.

“Can I ask what’s so urgent you had to bellow for us?” I asked as I sat my violin case on the counter.

“We wanted to hear you play your violin.” Sam answered with a shrug.

“We?” I asked but Sam just went outside and motioned for us to follow.

David and I shared a looked before we followed her out to the back porch where we found her, Walker, Chris, and Julian sitting around, looking expectant.

I froze for a minute; they really wanted me to play for them? It had been years since I played for more than one person.

“Don’t freeze up on us now Billy, you don’t have to do anything spectacular…we’ve been waiting since you got it back and now we’re getting a little impatient…Just play whatever you want.” Walker said from his place on the floor. He was sitting against one of the supports with Chris sitting between his legs leaning back against his chest.

“Don’t push cousin; if Billy doesn’t want to play he doesn’t have to. It’s bad enough that he’s got Sam breathing down his neck.” Julian said from his place on the swing with Sam, who elbowed him hard in the ribs, before tossing her legs across his lap.

I had to admit that it was nice to see the four of them hugged up together, two happy couples. It felt good knowing that I had that now too, at least for a little while.

Don’t think about that now Billy, just enjoy what you have while you have it.’ I told myself silently.

“Any requests?” I asked as I sat my case down on the large barrel by the door. The barrel was sealed because we never used it for anything; mom just liked how it looked.

“Just play whatever you feel like Billy.” David answered for the group as he walked over and leaned against the railing.

I caught Sam giving David a somewhat dirty look, as though his speaking for her was personally insulting. I decided to let it go between them and tightened my bow and started on some warm ups.

                                                             *         *         *

I saw Billy’s eyes flick over to Sam and I glanced in her direction, she was giving me a pretty shitty look. She was probably pissy that I hadn’t let her speak up, just told Billy to play what he wanted.

When Billy started to warm up I turned to her and smiled and winked at her, which made her pissy look worse.

When Billy’s warm up ended though I turned and gave him my full attention. He was standing with his back to the door with his eyes closed as he started to play.

I didn’t know the melody he was playing but it sounded a little like the Bridal march you hear at weddings, only the tempo was more upbeat, and it was…brighter than the march.

It did start off a little slow but picked up almost immediately. It dipped low a few times but always picked back up and toward the end it slowed some. I kind of likened it to a bubble that floated slowly along on the breeze but was slowly pushed to the ground till it popped. It was definitely something that I could hear being played at a wedding, or maybe in church, the way the music kind of floated and dipped.

I noticed that he repeated it once before he stopped and I opened my eyes, having not been aware that I had closed them, and noticed that every eye was on Billy, which made him blush around his ears….I really loved it when he did that.

“That was…wow that was nice. It was uplifting but at the same time kind of somber.” Chris said from between Walkers arms.

“Yea, like something that you could hear played at weddings or even during church.” I agreed quietly, voicing my thoughts.

“What was it?” Sam asked quietly.

All of us turned at the sound of her voice; apparently no one had ever heard her speak so demurely.

“It was Nocturne from A Midsummer night’s dream, Felix Mendelssohn I think. It was one of the first pieces I ever learned to play.” Billy replied with a smile, playing his violin always seemed to make him happy, happier than I’d ever seen him.

“You play it really well Billy, amazingly well. I’ve heard people play the violin before and you’re something different. It’s almost like you don’t even play, the music just flows.” Julian voice was kind of awestruck but I had to agree with him, it was true.

Billy just blushed and ran a hand over the back of his head, looking pleased with himself.

“You guys want to hear more?” He asked and all of us clamored to say yes.

Billy played for us for quite awhile, playing five or six small pieces. I wasn’t sure what they all were because he didn’t always tell us what he was playing. The last one he played though was…it was deep.

It was slow and mournful and very somber. It made me think of loosing my mother, of just loss in general. I didn’t realize that I had tears on my face till the piece ended and Billy opened his eyes to look at me.

“David…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to.” Billy said as he lowered the violin and bow, a sad look on his face.

I wiped the tears away but couldn’t meet his eyes, but as I looked around my embarrassment was lifted as I saw I wasn’t the only one who had been affected in such a way.

“No, no, don’t apologize, its fine. What was that?” I asked after a few minutes.

Billy didn’t answer until he had loosened his bow strings a bit and placed it and the violin back in its case.

“It was Pie Jesu from the Requiem by Gabriel Faure. I shouldn’t have played it…it’s made to be depressing I think…they call it a funeral song. I just…I always liked it….” Billy spoke quietly and I’m sure I’m not the only one who heard the small traces of guilt in his voice.

Slowly I walked up behind him and put my arms around, one over his shoulder and the other around his side so I could clasp his chest.

“You played it beautifully Billy. That’s why it affected all of us like that. Not just because of the song but because of how you played; you brought it to life.” I whispered to him quietly but I guess it was loud enough for everyone to hear me because all of them murmured in agreement.

Billy turned in my arms and the small smile on his face made me want to kiss him but I knew that he wanted to wait for the other to know so I settled for pulling him into a hug…and discreetly pressing my lips against his shoulder.

When we pulled apart, the two of us sat down on the floor, Billy against one of the supports and me across from him against the wall, our legs touching as we stretched out.

“I learned to play Pie Jesu when I first started; Mrs. Anderson said it was one of the most haunting melodies that she had ever heard.”

“No shit.” Sam mumbled, making Billy smile up at her.

“After I had mastered it I would play it whenever I got sad or upset as a kid, which as you can imagine was pretty damn often when I was young… Somehow I always seemed to feel better after I played it…like I was able to pour all of my upset and angst into the melody.” Billy told us and I nodded in understanding.

The six of us just sat there quietly for awhile. I don’t know what they were thinking about but I was thinking about my mom. Pie Jesu made me think about how hurt I was when she left and how bitter I had become over the years.

Thinking about it now though I realized that it didn’t hurt as much has it had. What once had been a sharp knife in my chest now felt more like a muted throb. It’s kind of like Billy playing the Pie Jesu for us drew out some of the pain.

“Have you ever thought about going professional Billy? My dad knows some people in the music business that might be able to help you out.” Chris asked but Billy shook his head.

“Nope, I don’t want to be a pro. The fiddle is just for me…and folks I choose to share it with. No, I want to do something with horses. Maybe be a trainer.” Billy replied looking up at the roof with a smile.

Billy mentioning that he wanted to be a horse trainer somehow reminded me of Seth’s letter.

“Shit Billy, sorry, your mom gave me this before she left.” I rolled slightly to one side and pulled the letter out of my back pocket.

“Cool Seth got back to me. Thanks David.” Billy smiled at me as I tossed the letter onto his lap.

He picked it up and pushed it into his back pocket.

“I think you’d be good a horse trainer Billy. Sam told me how you trained Elder.” Julian said and Billy’s ears blushed again.

“Elder wasn’t that hard to train. I just had to be firm with him, had to get through to him.” Billy replied with a shrug.

“That’s cool. I want to do something in music. I’d really like to be a D.J, maybe in a club or on the radio. What about you guys?” Chris asked with a smile from his place between Walkers legs.

“Pediatrician.” Julian smiled as he raised his hand in the air.

“You always have been good with kids Julian,” Walker said with a smile, “Unlike Billy I’d liked to be a musician, it’d be nice if I could take my band further but I doubt it will ever happen. Being a teacher would be nice too though.”

“Oh yea, silent Walker would be a great teacher,” Sam rolled her eyes but there was no real heat or mocking in her voice, “I plan on being an attorney myself. No criminal law for me though, I plan on doing civil law.” Sam said contently with her hands behind her head.

“What about you David?” Walker asked as he smiled over at me.

“I’m gonna be an architect, like my dad and my uncle. My dad has his own firm but my uncle works freelance. I’ll probably work in dad’s firm, take it over some day.” I said with a small smile.

“That’s cool. When I want to build my dream house I’ll give you a call. You can design it for me.” Sam piped up sarcastically, I looked up at her and she wasn’t wearing her usual sarcastic grin, in fact her hands were behind her head and her eyes were closed, not to mention the slight blush along her cheeks.

“I’d appreciate it. I’ll even give you a great rate.” I said as I reached over and tugged playfully at the side of her shirt.

“Stop that.” Sam snapped as she swatted at my hand, not looking at me.

“You’re right Sam, I’m sorry.” I said as I moved quietly up onto my knees. Sam’s eyes were still closed so to follow up my apology I leaned over and pressed a very wet kiss to her cheek.

“What are you…Uhg!” Sam groaned as she shot up and pushed me back onto the porch.

I landed hard on my ass and skinned one of my elbows but it was worth it to see the mortified look on Sam’s face as she wiped at her cheek.

“Oh come on Sam, don’t be like that. I don’t have cooties or anything.” I smiled, remembering the girl I had kissed on the cheek back in kindergarten; she did the same thing and accused me having cooties.

“Cooties, I’ll show your ass cooties.” Sam snapped as she shot of the swing and all but lunged at me.

I scrambled back and hit Billy’s legs just as Sam straddled my knees. Sam’s hand twisted in the collar of my shirt and her hand came back like she was going to clock me one but before I could make any move to fend her off Billy’s arm came across my chest and he moved up and planted another kiss on Sam’s other cheek.

Sam blushed a little and seemed to forget what she was doing as she let go of my shirt and got up and went back to sit on the swing with Julian. This time, after laying a hard one on Julian’s lips, she lay down on the swing with her head on his legs; one leg tossed over the back or the swing while the other rested on the ground, pushing her and Julian back and forth.

Julian just looked a little gob smacked at the kiss for a few minutes before smiling.

Having no intention of moving away I moved up Billy’s legs and rested my head on his hip. Billy didn’t seem to mind and just moved his arm down a bit so his palm rested on the side of my stomach.

I had to admit that this was pretty nice. Just the six of us sitting there enjoying the warmth and the quiet.

We didn’t talk much more after that, just occasionally tossing stories back and forth or telling jokes. I don’t know how long we stayed out there but as we were all laughing at a prank Julian had pulled on a friend of his before coming to visit Walker, (a very elaborate prank concerning a tennis racket with the net replaced by super strong rubber bands), Annie and Mrs. Anderson pulled back into the drive way.

Neither Sam nor Julian or Chris and Walker moved as Annie told Mrs. Anderson thanks and goodbye, or when she started up to the porch. Noting that I looked up at Billy and motioned to his mother with my eyes, silently asking him if he wanted me to move; hoping he’d get the message.

Billy looked over to his mother, who was rapidly approaching the porch, then to me then up at Sam. A very slight blush came to his face as he smiled in Sam’s direction before he turned back to me and shook his head slightly, giving me a little wink.

Feigning calm I made myself comfortable and waited, wondering what Billy had in mind.

“Well, it seems like you all are comfortable. What are you six up to today?” Annie smiled as she looked us all over. She smiled a little wider at Sam and Julian on the swing and Chris tucked up against Walkers chest with Walkers arms around but her face lit up and her gaze lingered on me and Billy.

I don’t know about Billy but my ears burned beet red.

“We came over to make Billy perform for us.” Sam smiled as she waved in the direction of Billy’s violin case.

“Yea and after my concert, and talking about what we want to be when we we’re all grown up, Sam and David had a little bit of a spat and Sam tried to kill him.” Billy replied and Annie raised an eyebrow at him.

“What exactly did you do to incur Sam’s wrath?” Annie asked me, a small smile on her face. Did everyone know how psycho that girl was?

“I gave her a kiss on the cheek…as an apology for tugging on her shirt hem; which I did to annoy her.” I replied, doing my damndest to keep a straight face…and failing.

Annie just rolled her eyes and smiled.

“Typical, just like when you and Sam were kids,” She said as she turned to go in the house, “You four are welcome to stay for a late lunch; I’ll rustle up some sandwiches and tea.” She said before disappearing inside.

I looked up at Billy as the door closed and cocked an eyebrow.

“What is she talking about?”

Billy and Sam burst out laughing, so the four of us, as the guys were looking confused too, had to wait till they were done.

“Hillbilly is protecting you from me, just like he used to do his toys when we were kids.” Sam answered with a smile and tossed her arm over her eyes and continued to chuckle.

“You had to protect your toys from Sam?” Chris asked laughingly.

“Yes I did, Sam was a nightmare when it came to toys. All my G.I Joes were missing appendages and I had to check her pockets for a magnifying glass because I used to have these plastic knights and horses and she always tried to melt them. I had to always carry my favorite toys around with me when she’d come over.” Billy piped up, childhood indignation still present in his voice.

“You forgot to mention all those times I threatened to disembowel Booboo.” Sam said playfully and Billy blushed harder.

“Shut up, Samantha.” Billy glared at Sam as he used her full first name; you knew it was bad when he did that.

“What are you gonna do if I don’t?” Sam removed her arm and smirked over at Billy.

“Scrappy.” Billy said calmly, his eyes narrowed.

“You wouldn’t.” Sam hissed, suddenly looking a bit pale.

“I would in a heartbeat.” Billy replied, smiling now.

The two of them glared at each other for a few seconds before Sam kissed her pinky finger and extended it toward Billy. Billy smiled and moved his arm off my torso and kissed his own pinky before touching to Sam’s

“What the hell was that about?” Julian and I asked together as Billy rested his arm back across me, I was happy to have the warmth and the weight back.

“Nothing.” Billy and Sam chanted together, Sam much more tersely than Billy.

I looked up at Billy, question plain on my face, but before I could ask he just smiled and mouthed ‘later’. So I closed my eyes and made myself more comfortable. I could wait.

                                                           *         *         *

After the seven of us ate lunch, (Mom joined us on the porch after kicking Julian and Sam out of the swing,) David and I walked with Sam, Julian, Chris and Walker down to Sam’s.

It was nice, just the six of us talking as we walked; Sam and Walker having a rock kicking contest as we walked, but I sort of missed the weight and warmth of David against me when we were on the porch.

I had been scared shitless when I first saw mom coming up to the porch. I was torn, I didn’t want David to move but at the same time I wasn’t ready to tell mom I was gay; no matter how well the reception of my friends was or David’s encouragement.

Looking over at Sam though and thinking of hers and David’s fight I remembered back when Sam and I had been kids and her destructive tendencies toward my toys. I knew it was a long shot but I figured that Mom just might go for it if she got suspicious.

I had to admit that it ignited a nice, warm feeling in my chest; thinking about David being mine. I conjured up images of the two of us being together permanently, living together, working and going to school…maybe having a family…it was nice.

I couldn’t afford to get caught up in those thoughts though, this thing between the two of us was just temporary; a few months of mutual affection and togetherness.

That thought made my chest hurt if I thought about it too much; which is why I ruthlessly forced it from my mind.

“You know Walker, you and Chris were being awfully affectionate in front of Mrs. Templeton. Aren’t you worried that someone might find out?” Sam’s question pulled me out of my musing. Sam and Walker were walking ahead of us, kicking at random pieces of gravel to see whose would go further.

“Why would I? I’ve already told my parents, and Chris has been out to his dad for years. Besides, I doubt Mrs. Templeton cares.” Walker replied as he kicked at medium sized rock; which sailed much further than Sam’s last rock.

“You came out to your parents? When did you do this; and why didn’t you tell us?” I asked, feeling a little shocked.

“Yep I did. It was only a few days ago. They took it pretty well, after I explained everything at least. I think mom was just relieved that I wasn’t mentally unstable; plus she really likes Chris.

Dad was a little less than thrilled. He didn’t yell or scream or threaten me with death or anything. He said he didn’t like it and probably never would but that I was his son, and that he loved me and would learn deal with it.” Walker shrugged his massive shoulders and I admit I was a little in awe that he was so cavalier about it.

“That’s good Walker, I’m glad to hear that things went well for you, still you could have shared.” David smiled from next to me, before running his fingers down the back of my hand.

I blushed a bit at the contact, happy that all the others were in front of us. Chris and Julian were between us and Walker and Sam.

“Eh, I guess. I just figured that I’d wait till we were all together, which is actually a lot harder than you’d think. But still we all know now so it’s no big deal.” Walker turned around to face us as he spoke, a small smile on his face.

“I guess between working and odd jobs it’s a little difficult to coordinate.” Chris replied with a shrug.

“Speaking of work, what’s up with your job down on the Murphy farm Billy?” Sam asked as she fell back to walk with me and David and Chris moved up next to Walker.

“I don’t know to be honest. Mom said that Mr. Murphy called this morning and said that he wouldn’t need me for a few days but that he would call me when he did. You think it had something to do with Candace?” I asked and Sam smirked.

“If the dumb bitch has any brains in her head she’s packing her shit and catching the next mode of transportation back to Minneapolis like I told her to. If not, well I might have to have another little chat with her.” Sam replied threateningly as she cracked her knuckles.

“You’re just a big, squishy marshmallow under that rough exterior aren’t you Sam?” David asked playfully.

Sam just smirked and reached behind me to flick David on the crown of his ear.

“OUCH,” David moaned as he clutched his ear, “Ever thought of cutting those talons, hell I think I’m bleeding.” David said as he pulled his hand away and sure enough he had little flecks of blood his finger tips.

We had all stopped walking to watch the little spectacle. When Sam saw the little blood flecks she looked the slightest bit guilty and pulled a folded up tissue out of her back pocket and made to press it against the tiny wound.

David recoiled slight at the sight but Sam latched onto his arm and pulled him to her.

“It’s clean.” She snapped quietly with no real heat.

The four of us watched as she dabbed the tiny scratch till the bleeding stopped. Sam stuffed the tissue back into her back pocket and mumbled an apology and started walking.

“Well, what are you four waiting for?” She called to us over her shoulder.

Instantly three of us fell into step behind her while Julian rushed up to her and slipped his hand into hers and leaned down slight to kiss her temple.

“Wow…Sam apologizing and cleaning it up…I mean it was just a little scratch…” David whispered so only I could hear him.

“If it wasn’t a big deal why did you act like that?” I whispered back, amused.

“I didn’t think she’d take it seriously…I thought it would just be more of our usual banter.” He replied and even through the whisper you could hear the guilt.

“That’s just how Sam is…she doesn’t really mean to harm so when she causes it, even something minor, she tends to be pretty remorseful.” Sam didn’t like it to be known but she really was just a big softy. Growing up out in the sticks with more boys than girls though you had to learn to be rough and tumble. It was pretty sweet that Julian managed to get through that though.

“I’ll have to remember that. I don’t want to seriously guilt her about anything.” David said with a small nod.

I just smiled and grabbed his arm and pulled him forward, we had lagged a bit behind.

“So what are you guys planning for the rest of the day?” Julian asked as Sam’s place came into view. I noticed that Walker’s motorcycle was sitting in her driveway.

“Walker is coming into town to have dinner with my dad and his new girlfriend.” Chris replied and Walker tossed his arm over Chris’s shoulder.

“I don’t know what we’re doing, David and I finished all my chores and we’ve finished all the construction that mom will allow us to do. Other than replying to Seth’s letter we got nothing planned.” I replied for me and David, who nodded his agreement.

“Well if you guys get bored give me and Sam a shout; we can go for a hike or something.” Julian replied with a small smile.

                                                           *         *         *

Me and Billy left the others at Sam’s place and headed back up to the house. Once we were far enough away from the Sam’s place I reached out and slipped my hand into his.

Billy blushed a little bit but brought our hands up and pressed a kiss to our interlocked fingers.

“What do you want to do the rest of the afternoon?” Billy asked quietly after a little while.

“I’d like to hear you play some more if you’re feeling up to it, and I’m sure your mom would like it too. I’d also like to work on getting along with Elder more, just because you didn’t work today doesn’t mean that Mr. Murphy won’t call you tomorrow.” I replied as I rubbed my thumb over his.

“That all sounds good to me. I do wonder why Mr. Murphy didn’t need me today. You think it has anything to do with what happened?” Billy asked worriedly.

“I’d say it probably does. Maybe not with what Candace did but with the aftermath. Personally I think I would have started hitchhiking last night if I had been in her shoes; Sam is freaking scary.” Billy laughed at that.

“Yea she can be, trust me I know. I’ve known her since we were kids. I hope that Candace did take off though. I…I really don’t want to be around her anymore. I’d like to keep my job though, that is if you don’t mind doing my work?” Billy asked with a nervous smile.

“I don’t mind at all Billy. I’m glad that I can help you out so much.” I replied and Billy smiled at me.

The two of us lapsed into silence after that but it was still nice, walking down the gravel road together, listening to the sounds around us. Sappy as it might seem, I enjoyed it, and the smile Billy wore showed that he did too.

Our good mood didn’t last too long though as Billy’s house came into sight, along with his dad’s truck. It looked like Old man Templeton had finally decided to come home.

We stopped for a second and Billy’s eyes locked with mine as he brought our hands up to his lips and kissed my thumb before letting them fall back between us and easing his hand out of my grip.

I nodded slightly to let him know I understood and the two of us set off again, each one of us tamping down our feelings for each other, for now at least.

It didn’t take us long to get back to the house and as we walked up the driveway the back door swung open and Mr. Templeton stepped out onto the porch, one look at his face said it all, the man was pissed…and it was directed straight at us.

“Don’t worry about anything…it’s ok.” Billy said quietly as we walked his lips barely moving.

“If you say so.” I said, using the pretext of turning my head to scratch behind my ear to keep the old man from seeing my lips move.

“Bout damn time you two got here, where the hell have you been?” Mr. Templeton asked as soon as we came to the foot of the stairs.

“We walked with Sam, Julian, Walker and Chris back to Sam’s. They came up here for a little while earlier.” Billy replied smoothly as he tried to step up onto the porch.

Mr. Templeton though moved to stand at the top of the stairs, keeping us from going up.

“I see, so you thought it would be fine to skip work today to play with your friends?” William asked snidely, arching his eyebrow.

“I didn’t skip work. Mr. Murphy called and said that he wouldn’t need me for a few days. Said he’d he call when that changed.” Billy’s voice was calm but I noticed that one of his hands had curled into a fist.

“Really, and why is that? What did you screw up that Jack needed to take the time to fix? I go and get you a good job and then you piss it away by fucking up.” William said angrily as he threw his hands up and started to walk away into the house.

I saw what was coming the second before it happened but couldn’t stop it. Billy shot passed me and up on the porch and came around to stand in front of his dad.

“I didn’t screw anything up; I did everything exactly how Mr. Murphy told me to. My work may not have been perfect but it was a hell of a lot closer to it than anyone else would have done.

I don’t know why he doesn’t need me, you might ask mom since she is the one that talked to him, but I did not screw up.” I was impressed that Billy remained so calm doing his speech, the only sign that he was angry were the hands that had curled into tight fists.

I moved up to the bottom step as the silence stretched between them, waiting for something to happen. Mr. Templeton flexed his fingers and for a moment I wondered if maybe he would hit Billy but when I moved up to the second step it creaked under my weight and he spun to face me.

For a minute Mr. Templeton stared at me with those steely gray eyes and I have to admit that I swallowed hard at what I saw there. He had moved past simple anger…I don’t know exactly what it was but it was something freaking scary.

“Did you finish you chores before you went gallivanting around with your friends?” He asked as he turned back to Billy.

“Yes Sir, horses were fed, watered and exercised. Stalls were cleaned out. We finished installing the rails on the hay loft. I planned on waiting to take the wheelbarrow around to the compost till after supper but I can do it now if you like.” Billy replied, his voice was curt but not condescending.

“What about the hay rig?” William asked and for the first time Billy’s face showed a flicker of fear, but he squashed it quickly.

“It’s still busted. Even if I had any idea how to fix it mom has already said she isn’t going to allow David and I to work on it as it would most likely require us to go up on the roof to repair it.” Billy answered calmly.

The silence stretched again for a few moments before William spoke up again.

“There’s a bunch of shingles in the bed of my truck, get them unloaded into the barn.” Billy nodded and stepped around his dad and the two of us headed over to the truck.

I looked back over my shoulder and saw that William had gone into the house so I stepped a little closer and whispered just loud enough for him to hear me.

“You have no idea how hot seeing you stand up to him like that was.” It was pretty gratifying to see Billy’s ears and the back of his neck glow crimson.

“Yea…well it felt good…that’s for sure.” Billy replied and I saw the side of his mouth turn up into a smile.

As the two of us carried the eight packages into the barn I had to wonder why we needed so many, Annie had only said it was only a small patch that had been damaged.

“Knowing dad he’ll replace the shingles on the entire section, not just the damaged patch.” Billy said when I mentioned it to him as we worked.

“Who do you think he’ll get to do the roof and the hay rig?” I asked as we walked up to the house.

“I don’t know. To be honest he probably won’t be too fussed about getting the rig fixed, it’s only there to make my job easier. The roof, he might do it himself or I know that Mr. Murphy has experience with roofing.” Billy replied with a shrug.

“If he doesn’t get the rig fixed we’ll figure something out.” I told him and he smiled at me.

We met Mr. Templeton coming out of the house as we got to the porch. He walked right past us without a word and we were likewise silent.

“Where’s dad heading?” Billy asked his mom as we walked into the kitchen to find Annie pealing carrots.

“He’s going out to the corn field. Apparently that last storm we had broke some stalks, he’s going to try to set them up.” She replied as she pulled celery and mushrooms out of the fridge.

“Do we get to help cook?” Billy asked and Annie smiled.

“Why yes you do. You, honey, can finish these carrots and then I want you to rinse and cut the celery. I want you to slice it in half long ways and then dice it,” She said with a smiled at Billy before turning to me, “David, darling, you can do the onions and mushrooms. I’m sure you know how to dice an onion. Pull the stems on the mushrooms, cut them in thirds and then slice them.” Annie said as she walked over to the door connecting the kitchen to the dining room.

“What are you going to be doing?” Billy asked and smile as he looked over to her.

“I’m going to go read the paper,” Annie smiled as she walked into the dining room, “You boys call me when you’re done.”

Billy just laughed and went to work on his vegetables.

I worked really carefully on my vegetables, partly because I wanted to do a good job for Annie and partly because I was always a little klutzy with a knife, I have several little scars on my hands from my mishaps with them over the years.

Halfway through my first of two onions I had to lay the knife aside, the smell was making my eyes burn and water.

“So you have any idea what we’re making?” I asked as I pulled the bottom of my shirt up to wipe at my streaming eyes.

With my eyes still covered I waited for him to answer but the only sound I heard was the water running then turning off.

“Move your shirt.” Billy’s voice was right in front of me so after a small jump I let the shirt fall but kept my eyes closed. It was another shock when I felt something cold and wet pressed against my eyes.

“The cool water will help; try breathing through your mouth that helps me a little a bit when I do it.” Billy’s voice was quiet but I could feel his breath ghosting over my face and neck, making me shiver.

“Thanks Billy.” I replied as I reached out carefully and let my fingertips play with the hem of his shirt.

We stayed like that till my eyes felt better so I pulled the cloth off and blinked at him, smiling.

“We’d better get back to work.” I said and Billy nodded.

“To answer your question though I’m guessing its mom’s vegetable stew. Carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms, and if we look in the fridge we’ll probably find some chicken and sausage chilling.” Billy replied as he washed his celery.

“Hold on a sec…your mom said she was making a roast…so why are we getting stuff ready for stew?” I asked and Billy smiled.

“I’m not sure how she does it but she makes up this tomato base then mixes all her vegetables in and it sits together over night. Then she cooks and adds her meat, usually chicken, then adds it in and cooks really slowly over the course of the day.

She used to make this spicy version of it by adding peppers to it but dad always complained that it gave him heart burn so she had to stop. Personally I think he made her do it because it was Seth’s favorite. Plus I’ve seen dad practically drink Tabasco sauce without any ill effects.” Billy said with a shrug.

“That’s just not fair, the spicy version sound really good. Still though I’m looking forward to dinner tomorrow, it sounds good.” I said and Billy laughed a little bit.

“You’re a strange one David. The way you react to helping cook, do you not eat back home?” Billy asked as he started to chop the celery.

“Yea I eat but me and dad don’t cook that much. At least nothing that actually requires us to do anything, we make a lot of pre-packaged stuff. If it requires more than opening and putting it in the oven or microwave than it doesn’t get made…at least not too often.

It’s nice though when we do get the chance to actually cook together. I guess that’s one reason I like to help here, whenever me and dad actually do cook together we have fun doing it. It makes me feel like family.” I replied and Billy scrapped the celery he was cutting off the cutting board and into a bowl before laying his knife aside and turning to me.

Billy came up to me and made me set my knife aside, I had long since finished the onion I was working on, and put his hands on my shoulders.

“You are family David. I think mom adopted you the second she met you, and if not I know she has now. Dad treats you just like he does me and how he did Seth so you’re practically his son now too.” Billy smiled as he ran his thumbs up and down the sides of my neck.

“So if they think of me as family, does that go for you too?” I asked him quietly.

“I don’t know if I think of you as family or not but I know that you’ll always mean something to me.” Billy replied quietly and started to let his hands slip from my neck.

Before Billy could move away entirely though I grabbed hold of one of his wrists and brought his palm up and pressed my lips against it.

“You’ll always mean something to me too Billy.” I whispered before the two of us separated and finished our work.

“Mom, we’re done.” Billy called once we were all done; our various chopped and shredded charges piled high in a bowl in the sink.

Annie came bustling in a few moments later with a smile on her face.

“Well it took you boys long enough to get done. I’ve been waiting.” Annie smiled as she moved between us and picked up the bowl and poured into a large strainer.

“Yea well we got to talking and got a little side tracked once or twice.” Billy replied a little sheepishly.

“Well that’s nice. I’m glad that you boys are getting along so well. Now scram. I need to make my base.” Annie smiled as she turned on the water then shooed us out of the room.

“Let’s go work on you getting along with Elder.” Billy said and the two of us headed out to the barn.

“Looks like dad took off somewhere.” I said with a smile and Billy laughed so hard I had to wrap my arm around him to keep him from falling over.

“Oh god…please…You’ve got to do that around Sam next time we see her…she might actually die laughing.” Billy managed to get out between guffaws.

“Yea I’ll think about that. I don’t know though, you look like you’re about to pass out from it the hilarity.” I replied and Billy just glared at me.

                                                            *         *         *

Working on David and Elder getting along was a bit tricky. Maybe it was my freak out earlier in the day but Elder seemed a pretty skittish.

“Let me try on my own, you stay back for a few minutes.” David said once we had pulled Elder out of his stall.

I had to admit that I didn’t like the idea but David seemed determined so I allowed it.

“Come on Elder, it’s time we got through this little issue me and you have going on.” David had his hands in the air and he moved cautiously toward Elder.

Elders’ neck got stiff and his tail twitched ever so slightly but we were still good. Elder didn’t back off and his ear’s weren’t pinned down so he wasn’t seriously nervous.

“You can do it Elder. You know by now that I’m not going to hurt you, and Billy and I are good now so I won’t hurt him either. I’m not asking for a miracle here…just let me get closer.” David crooned quietly and I have to admit I was impressed that David was as calm as he was.

Elder’s breathing was heavy, which worried me, but as David got closer it seemed to even out some. Soon David was in touching distance and he let his hands down slowly to just barely brush Elder’s neck.

“Good boy, see I’m not so bad now am I? I’m not dangerous. You and me can be buds can’t we?” David asked quietly as he stroked Elders neck.

Elder calmed down some under David’s touch. His neck relaxed and his tail stopped twitching. It didn’t last too long, maybe five minutes, before Elder tossed his head ever so slightly and backed away from David’s hands and David had sense enough not to follow him.

As soon as Elder was out of contact with David I walked up to him and started to stroke his neck and side, praising and encouraging him as I did so.

“Very good Elder, very good. David is a good guy, you can trust him.” David smiled as I talked to Elder, for some reason he always did when I talked to Elder.

“He’s getting used to me, little by little. Maybe one of these days he’ll let me ride him.” David joked.

“I doubt he’ll ever let you ride him, alone at least. I don’t think he could carry the both of us though.” I replied and David gave me an odd, sideways sort of smile.

“I think Elder might have other issues besides weight if the two of us were to try that.” He said as he walked up behind me and put his arms around my waist, I really liked it when he did that.

“You’ve got a very good point there.” I managed to groan out as David pressed open mouth kisses to my neck.

“Mhm.” David murmured against my skin.

Just as David’s hands slipped up under my shirt Elder let out a loud snort, jarring the two of us back to reality.

“The horse is right; we probably shouldn’t be doing this here.” David whispered against the back of my neck.

“Yea…yea right,” I had to stop to clear my throat, I sounded hoarse. “We should probably get back inside. Dinner will be ready soon.”

“Yep…let’s go.” David breathed against my neck, making me shiver before he pulled away.

David walked, no, strutted away and just before he went out the barn door he smiled back at me over his shoulder.

“You know Elder, I think he’s winding me up on purpose.” I whispered hoarsely as I ushered him back into his stall.

Elder nickered, either he was agreeing with me or he just liked the way I was stroking his neck.

“I’ll see you in the morning big guy.” I said before leaning in and pressing my forehead against his for a minute before heading toward the house.

                                                            *         *         *

Old Man Templeton came back just as Annie was taking the roast out of the oven. Billy and I were setting the table as he came into the dining room, looking very grumpy.

“We’ll it’s about time you showed up,” Annie said with a smile as she came into the dining room with a large roast, surrounded by potatoes and carrots, on a platter in her hands, “Where did you go to?”

William didn’t answer until we had all sat down to eat.

“I went down to Jack’s to talk to him about Billy’s job. I wanted to know what was going on. Come to find out his daughter up and ran off on him last night. He’s been running round all day trying to get in touch with her. She finally called him about an hour ago, turns out she called her Aunt last night and asked her to wire her some cash to come back to Minneapolis.” I had to admit I found it a little suspicious that the man sounded so…bitter…with the news.

“Well good riddance in my opinion. Did you see that girl, she was trouble.” Annie replied with a very sour looking expression.

I caught Billy’s eye and he arched an eye brow at me, I looked and then motioned to his dad with my eyes, hoping he get the message.

“Did she say why she left?” Billy asked carefully as he looked over to his dad, a very convincing curious look on his face.

The old man turned his gaze on Billy and just stared at him for a few moments and I swear the look on his face said that he knew everything that had happened the night before. After a bit though he just grumbled and turned back to his food.

“Jack said she had mentioned something about not getting on with the kids around here anymore. Why, you have a thing for her or something William?” His dad asked him and Billy blushed a bit around his ears.

“No Sir, I don’t. I was just curious. My friends and I saw her a few days ago and she seemed happy enough. She didn’t mention anything about being upset or anything.” Billy replied calmly.

“I also talked to him about your job. If you’re ready to get off you lazy butt than he’ll have you back at work on Monday.” William said with a sneer.

Billy sat up a little straighter, almost stiff, and when he spoke his voice had just the smallest bit of challenge.

“I’m ready whenever he needs me. I got no problems going back to work so long as David doesn’t mind taking up my slack here.” Billy replied and I had to admit that for some reason it was very, very hot to see him with a backbone concerning his dad.

William’s eyes narrowed and looked over to me.

“I don’t mind at all. I enjoy having something productive to do. Although with our construction done things will be mellower.” I replied with a smile, which seemed to make William look even more pissed.

“I’m sure I can find you something to keep you busy.” William replied as he cocked an eye brow at me.

“I promise that I’ll do my best, Sir.” I replied with a small nod to him.

“You know with that kind of work ethic we might just have to keep you on year round David.” Annie broke the tension with a smile.

Both Billy and I looked over to her and smiled. I really liked the sound of that.

After dinner there wasn’t much for us to do. Like always, we offered to do the dishes for Annie but she refused, Billy seemed to think it was more of the fact that she didn’t want us around her stew base than anything else.

With nothing else to do we went outside and wandered down to the horse corral.

“Your dad will probably wonder what we’re doing down here.” I said as we leaned against the ropes of the corral.

“I’m not too worried about it, we can see the back door from here and if he were to come out the front then we’d still see him coming. We can always say that we’re covering the troughs.” Billy replied as he reached back and pulled me up beside him.

“You know I find this sudden burst of courage very much a turn on.” I said and Billy blushed.

Billy shifted closer to me and rubbed the back of his hand against the back of mine as he pressed our shoulders together.

“I’m glad you approve. I’ve decided that life is too short to live it afraid of him…I’m not gonna challenge him or make a prick of myself but I’m done being so passive towards how he treats me.” Billy said quietly but with firmness in his voice.

“I’m proud of you Billy.” I whispered as I leaned closer to him.

“I’m proud of myself too…and I think mom is as well.” Billy replied equally as quiet as he leaned closer.

Before I realized it Billy had his lips pressed gently against mine. It didn’t stay that way for long though, Billy swept his tongue across my bottom lip. Getting the message I brushed my tongue against his and I felt him shudder a little bit against me.

We turned to each other and Billy rested his hands on my hips and I put mine on his neck, letting my thumbs rub that sensitive space just below his ears, making him groan a little into the kiss.

Billy may have been a beginner but he was quickly turning into a pro, the way he slipped his tongue against mine or over my lips made heat pool in my stomach and I shifted closer to him, pressing our lower halves closer together. When our equally hard cocks brushed through layers of fabric Billy blushed and pulled out of our kiss slowly before ducking his head.

“I’m sorry…I’m not…I mean I do but…” Billy stuttered out so I took pity on him and brought his face up so I could kiss him again gently.

“It’s ok, I didn’t mean to push. We don’t go any further than you’re ready for.” I told him quietly and his ears blushed even more.

“I talk a good game but I guess I’m still a little unsteady.” Billy replied as he rested his head against my shoulder, the warmth of his breath made goose bumps sprout on my neck.

“It’s ok to be unsteady and I don’t care that you are. I…I love you Billy.” I said quietly as I stroked a hand up and down his back.

Billy pressed his lips against my neck and nuzzled me a bit with his nose before he said anything else.

“I love you too David.”

                                                             *         *         *

I ran my finger down David’s jaw as he slept, it was cute the way he sort of twitched a bit when I did that. I looked over to my clock, noting it was only a few minutes before midnight. Before the clock rolled over I leaned down and pressed my lips against David’s forehead.

“I love you David.” I whispered before settling down against David’s bare shoulder and wrapping my arm around his waist, running my fingers over his obliques.

David had been iffy about sleeping in the same bed with me, worried about my parents coming and he was also worried about pushing me. I managed to convince him that it was ok though, mom and dad never came up here and I wasn’t concerned about being ‘pushed’ too far. I trusted David.

I looked over at the clock and noticed I had one more minute before midnight so I pressed my lips against David’s neck and whispered that I loved him again in his ear.

It would be hard to follow David’s request but I was going to do my best. I nuzzled closer to him and breathed in the way he smelled. I wanted to burn it into my memory, something that I could keep with me even after he was gone.

I wonder if it still counts if he can’t hear me.’ I thought to myself as I drifted off to sleep…it was an option worth exploring.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I want to thank Rush for her work in editing, without her I would be nowhere. As always, I love to get your thoughts and opinions so feel free to email me at allenarcane88@yahoo.com, drop me a PM, write me a review or visit the discussion forum.

I read and respond to everything.

Discussion forum link.
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/26094-indiana-summer/

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sigh. Would you really be so cruel to give us that and then force them apart? Really? Beautiful chapter sweetie. The tension. the uncertainty, the youthful playfulness. It was all there and the fact that they stopped where they did and din't go past that innocent exploration was absolutley right for that chapter.

Link to comment

wow! sooo worth the wait!

it's just sad when we sort of know what's coming. :( but.. great for the pair of them :D

you capture them sooo well. ^_^

Billy's courage is really really a nice surprise! it was about time too! :D

Awesome chapter N.O. Now for the next one! :P

Link to comment

I had so much fun editing this chapter!!! I'm glad Candice is now scared shitless of Sam and took off but I also wonder why William managed to keep Billy working at her father's farm if she's not there. Hmmm. makes you wonder. I'm also glad to see that Billy has the cojones to stand up to his dad even though he still does it with fear of him.

Great Job as usual N.O.

Link to comment

Another great chapter. Not many would know that Pie Jesu was a requiem for the bombing of an orphanage during WW II. Heart wrenching really but beautiful.

 

It is obvious that Mrs Templeton was unphased. We always figured she knew what was going on. I really expected to find out why she had all the paperwork out on the ranch. An after thought, perhaps she took a loan out for Billy to go to college for the violin in California!

 

They are getting closer and closer to old man Templeton finding out about them. I wonder if he is worried about being nailed down on "his" part of all of it. And for him to know about it means he knows about Billy being gay.

 

Most stories that go this long between chapters you have to go back and reread to see where you are. this one is so unique that you remember exactly what is and has happened. That is saying something. Well done.

Link to comment

WoW!! gr8 chapter. It seems like I've been waiting forever for it to be posted. I really like Billy and Davids' budding relationship and the way they interact with their friends. Lol Sam and David are frenemies and I love how Sam is a softy on the inside and the way she reacts of David's playful taught's. Also, I liked how Billy's mom seemed so unresponsive to finding David and Billy relaxing against each other in such a intimate way as if it's quite normal. Besides that, I love how Billy as grown some spine and not just sit there all passive while his dad degrade him. That might be a result of David's positive influence on him. I can't wait to read the next chapter and hope it won't be as long of a wait as this one was.

Link to comment

I loved this chapter! I love how close Billy and David are becoming. I especially loved Annie's comment about maybe needing David all year!

 

I was surprised though that when the kids were all talking about coming out to their parents and friends, no one mentioned how Annie reacted seeing Walker and Chris, but especially seeing Billy and David the way they were. She was really happy for them (I knew she would be). I was just surprised no one mentioned it. I wonder if she will bring it up to Billy and David...

 

Maybe she's so happy Billy has someone who cares for him so much b/c she is ready to divorce Old Man Tyrant, woops, I mean Templeton and knowing Billy will have someone supporting him, will make it easier on her....ok, it was just a thought. But seriously; he is a tyrant.

 

I'm so happy you updated; I absolutely love all your stories, especially this one! :)

 

 

Link to comment

I can't add any more to what's already been said except - what did the letter say???

 

I figure we can wait another chapter or two for the Templeton parent plot to ratchet up, but I really wanted to know in this chapter what Seth had to say to Billy - argghh!

 

Thanks for sharing this story with us! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 12:48 AM, Nephylim said:
Sigh. Would you really be so cruel to give us that and then force them apart? Really? Beautiful chapter sweetie. The tension. the uncertainty, the youthful playfulness. It was all there and the fact that they stopped where they did and din't go past that innocent exploration was absolutley right for that chapter.
Hey Nephylim, always good to see you. Yes, yes I would be that cruel. Not saying that I am going to be but yes I do have the capacity to do so. Really lol. I am glad you like the chapter, misgivings about my character not withstanding. I am glad that you enjoyed how I handled the physical aspects of the relationship. It just felt natural to write it that way, Billy's first real physical relationship, it would only be natural for him to be hesitant and uncertain. Not to mention his 'training' over the years. Glad that you like.best,thanks,Owl
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 12:48 AM, Nephylim said:
Sigh. Would you really be so cruel to give us that and then force them apart? Really? Beautiful chapter sweetie. The tension. the uncertainty, the youthful playfulness. It was all there and the fact that they stopped where they did and din't go past that innocent exploration was absolutley right for that chapter.
Hey Nephylim, always good to see you. Yes, yes I would be that cruel. Not saying that I am going to be but yes I do have the capacity to do so. Really lol. I am glad you like the chapter, misgivings about my character not withstanding. I am glad that you enjoyed how I handled the physical aspects of the relationship. It just felt natural to write it that way, Billy's first real physical relationship, it would only be natural for him to be hesitant and uncertain. Not to mention his 'training' over the years. Glad that you like.best,thanks,Owl
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 02:23 AM, Frostina said:
wow! sooo worth the wait!

it's just sad when we sort of know what's coming. :( but.. great for the pair of them :D

you capture them sooo well. ^_^

Billy's courage is really really a nice surprise! it was about time too! :D

Awesome chapter N.O. Now for the next one! :P

ooooh Frosty LADY lol. Nice to see you Frosty. I am glad that you liked the chapter and found it worth the wait. It is sad since the summer is coming to a close. One does wonder how that is going to play out. Billy's growing courage was a very nice touch if I do say so myself. I felt it was time for it to happen. I'm glad that you like Frosty. I promise that I will work as fast as I can.
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 09:12 AM, Rush said:
I had so much fun editing this chapter!!! I'm glad Candice is now scared shitless of Sam and took off but I also wonder why William managed to keep Billy working at her father's farm if she's not there. Hmmm. makes you wonder. I'm also glad to see that Billy has the cojones to stand up to his dad even though he still does it with fear of him.

Great Job as usual N.O.

I am glad that you enjoyed editing this chapter Momma Rush. Candance being scared shitless was a good touch wasn't it? You know as well as i do that we will find out why William kept Billy's job for him...and it will be SO GOOD. Like I said with Frosty it was time for Billy to start stanind up for himself, We'll see more of that soon. Glad as always that you like momma.
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 09:33 AM, ricky said:
Another great chapter. Not many would know that Pie Jesu was a requiem for the bombing of an orphanage during WW II. Heart wrenching really but beautiful.

 

It is obvious that Mrs Templeton was unphased. We always figured she knew what was going on. I really expected to find out why she had all the paperwork out on the ranch. An after thought, perhaps she took a loan out for Billy to go to college for the violin in California!

 

They are getting closer and closer to old man Templeton finding out about them. I wonder if he is worried about being nailed down on "his" part of all of it. And for him to know about it means he knows about Billy being gay.

 

Most stories that go this long between chapters you have to go back and reread to see where you are. this one is so unique that you remember exactly what is and has happened. That is saying something. Well done.

Hey Ricky, it's been awhile. I am glad that you like the chapter. I actually did know that, I found it when I was researching melodies. I wanted something Haunting and the Pie Jesu was the one that I liked the most. Annie was a real delight wasn't she? if she didn't suspect before we can pretty much be sure she is now. It would have been too easy to find out in this chapter what was up with the paperwork but I promise that will discover what it was all about. William...yes he is a puzzle peice. I can't give too many details on his means or motive as that would just give it away so you guys will just have to speculate. I really thank you for your thoughts on my story, on saying that it was so memorable, that means a lot to me. I don't think my work has ever been called unique before...*blush* Thanks again Ricky.
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 10:24 AM, bookjunky18 said:
WoW!! gr8 chapter. It seems like I've been waiting forever for it to be posted. I really like Billy and Davids' budding relationship and the way they interact with their friends. Lol Sam and David are frenemies and I love how Sam is a softy on the inside and the way she reacts of David's playful taught's. Also, I liked how Billy's mom seemed so unresponsive to finding David and Billy relaxing against each other in such a intimate way as if it's quite normal. Besides that, I love how Billy as grown some spine and not just sit there all passive while his dad degrade him. That might be a result of David's positive influence on him. I can't wait to read the next chapter and hope it won't be as long of a wait as this one was.
Hey Bookjunky, good to meet you. I am glad that you liked the chapter and I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to update. ir eally am working on that. I think Billy and David understand each other on a level that doesn't get seen so much in my other work, these guys actually have a life of their own. Frenemies, that is SUCH a great term for Sam and David, I didn't even think of that. I think Sam's softy tendancies are a bit of a surprise, I've sort of wrote her as a pain the neck a lot lol. Annie was great in her reaction, I think there might be a lot more to the woman than what we think...some days I'm not even sure about her lol. Or maybe she just thinks it's cute that Billy is *protecting* him from Sam lol. Billy's new back bone seems to have gotten great reception, I'm happy about that...I was worried it might be seen as too big of a development in such a short amount of time. I promise that I will do my best to write more often.
Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 01:17 PM, Lisa said:
I loved this chapter! I love how close Billy and David are becoming. I especially loved Annie's comment about maybe needing David all year!

 

I was surprised though that when the kids were all talking about coming out to their parents and friends, no one mentioned how Annie reacted seeing Walker and Chris, but especially seeing Billy and David the way they were. She was really happy for them (I knew she would be). I was just surprised no one mentioned it. I wonder if she will bring it up to Billy and David...

 

Maybe she's so happy Billy has someone who cares for him so much b/c she is ready to divorce Old Man Tyrant, woops, I mean Templeton and knowing Billy will have someone supporting him, will make it easier on her....ok, it was just a thought. But seriously; he is a tyrant.

 

I'm so happy you updated; I absolutely love all your stories, especially this one! :)

 

Lisa, always a pleasure to see you. I am glad that you like the chapter. Their relationship is a sweet one, if a little sad at times. Yea that was something of a comment wasn't it. Wonder if anything could come out of that...hmm...ideas. I don't think Walker and Chris felt the need to say anything, the way they were so close with each other was enough of a give away, that and the fact that Walker is talking again lol. I'm sure she is happy for Billy and David, especially after their shaky start. I thinks he will be very happy when she finds out about the truth of their relationship. Hmm Annie divorcing old man Templeton...I wonder how that would go, it would be interesting. He is a Tyrant, I wonder how he got that way...or if he was always that way. I glad you like. best, Owl.
Link to comment
On 09/08/2011 08:31 AM, KevinD said:
I can't add any more to what's already been said except - what did the letter say???

 

I figure we can wait another chapter or two for the Templeton parent plot to ratchet up, but I really wanted to know in this chapter what Seth had to say to Billy - argghh!

 

Thanks for sharing this story with us! :2thumbs:

Hey KevinD, good to see you again. lol Seth's letter, I promise we will find out about that in the next chapter. You're welcome and I promise to write more soon. best, Owl.
Link to comment

Oh, the way this chapter ended you can have the whole story end like a classical Greek tragedy. The build-up with the threat of Billy´s father and Elder´s sometimes too anxious temper, and all the talk about David only staying for two more months. I wouldn´t be surprised if there are casualties before the story is finished, at least you could do it that way if you want to, but I suspect a lot of readers would get really disappointed so I think you will actually go with a happy end.

 

Anyway, I read all of the 15 chapters over the last couple of days, so here comes a summary of the reading so far: The rural setting is nicely described and it´s easy to picture the farm and stables, the barn and so on while reading. And I really like the slow build-up - that´s how I like my romances. A quick introduction of the love interest(s) and then long, hard (no pun intended ) way getting there, and this you do just nicely.

 

The main characters are sweet and likable, both of them in their own way, but it´s the sub-characters that really have me going, especially the bad ones. Not being a native speaker I´m not sure whether Candy´s name gives the same connotations it does for me, but her name alone have me thinking of just what kind of girl she is even before you start describing her, and it´s not the kind I think very highly of. But it´s Billy´s parents that deserves the most attention. Mr Templeton is a horrible man, and the more I read the more horrible he becomes. He´s this story´s villain and what seems like a quickly growing threat to Billy´s safety, happiness and future. But what really upsets me while I´m reading is the mother!

 

How is Annie able to stay with a man that apparently is no good for her children? He has driven one child away already and is severely damaging the younger. Surely she is picking up on this, or she wouldn´t try meddling between her son and her husband or try to ease the boys workload when it´s apparent it´s too heavy. How she can have any love left for him is a mystery to me. Even if her reasons for staying are important and believable, and I hope there are reasons to explain her behavior, I will find it hard to forgive her.

 

I´m not sure about the custom here. Most reviews are short, and it´s understandable when you give a review after each chapter (so just split this with 15) and I´ve never really seen any critical ones. But is it OK to come with constructive criticism as well?

 

I duck my head and prepare being hit hard if it´s not allowed/appreciated, but there are two things (And both are minor) that disturbed my reading. The first is from the first chapter.

 

When I began reading the first paragraph it started of like it was David´s inner monologue, and then in the second paragraph, he introduced himself to the reader "My name is David Bailey ...". This kind of sentences can have me stop reading right away. I would have preferred no introduction, and it is in fact not necessary. A few paragraphs further down Billy asks: "Are you Davis Bailey?" and the reader finds out anyway, in more natural circumstances.

 

The second is the shifting POV, not Billy´s and David´s, but the short and few told from Annie´s and Sam´s POV. There are other ways to get the unnecessary information to the reader.

 

See, nothing major and you can just ignore it if you don´t like it.

 

Anyway, all in all, its a nice read. And I will look into some of your other stories as well when I get the time, and of course I will await this story´s next chapter. And I do like happy ends, I´m just not sure how it will work out for these boys.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2011 03:39 AM, sorgbarn said:
Oh, the way this chapter ended you can have the whole story end like a classical Greek tragedy. The build-up with the threat of Billy´s father and Elder´s sometimes too anxious temper, and all the talk about David only staying for two more months. I wouldn´t be surprised if there are casualties before the story is finished, at least you could do it that way if you want to, but I suspect a lot of readers would get really disappointed so I think you will actually go with a happy end.

 

Anyway, I read all of the 15 chapters over the last couple of days, so here comes a summary of the reading so far: The rural setting is nicely described and it´s easy to picture the farm and stables, the barn and so on while reading. And I really like the slow build-up - that´s how I like my romances. A quick introduction of the love interest(s) and then long, hard (no pun intended ) way getting there, and this you do just nicely.

 

The main characters are sweet and likable, both of them in their own way, but it´s the sub-characters that really have me going, especially the bad ones. Not being a native speaker I´m not sure whether Candy´s name gives the same connotations it does for me, but her name alone have me thinking of just what kind of girl she is even before you start describing her, and it´s not the kind I think very highly of. But it´s Billy´s parents that deserves the most attention. Mr Templeton is a horrible man, and the more I read the more horrible he becomes. He´s this story´s villain and what seems like a quickly growing threat to Billy´s safety, happiness and future. But what really upsets me while I´m reading is the mother!

 

How is Annie able to stay with a man that apparently is no good for her children? He has driven one child away already and is severely damaging the younger. Surely she is picking up on this, or she wouldn´t try meddling between her son and her husband or try to ease the boys workload when it´s apparent it´s too heavy. How she can have any love left for him is a mystery to me. Even if her reasons for staying are important and believable, and I hope there are reasons to explain her behavior, I will find it hard to forgive her.

 

I´m not sure about the custom here. Most reviews are short, and it´s understandable when you give a review after each chapter (so just split this with 15) and I´ve never really seen any critical ones. But is it OK to come with constructive criticism as well?

 

I duck my head and prepare being hit hard if it´s not allowed/appreciated, but there are two things (And both are minor) that disturbed my reading. The first is from the first chapter.

 

When I began reading the first paragraph it started of like it was David´s inner monologue, and then in the second paragraph, he introduced himself to the reader "My name is David Bailey ...". This kind of sentences can have me stop reading right away. I would have preferred no introduction, and it is in fact not necessary. A few paragraphs further down Billy asks: "Are you Davis Bailey?" and the reader finds out anyway, in more natural circumstances.

 

The second is the shifting POV, not Billy´s and David´s, but the short and few told from Annie´s and Sam´s POV. There are other ways to get the unnecessary information to the reader.

 

See, nothing major and you can just ignore it if you don´t like it.

 

Anyway, all in all, its a nice read. And I will look into some of your other stories as well when I get the time, and of course I will await this story´s next chapter. And I do like happy ends, I´m just not sure how it will work out for these boys.

Hello Sorgbarn, good to meet you. First off let me thank you for reading and for you very detailed review. I loved it. I plan on replying to you in more detail via a private message, I just wanted to post here that I have read your review and i thank you for it. best,Owl
Link to comment
On 09/12/2011 03:39 AM, sorgbarn said:
Oh, the way this chapter ended you can have the whole story end like a classical Greek tragedy. The build-up with the threat of Billy´s father and Elder´s sometimes too anxious temper, and all the talk about David only staying for two more months. I wouldn´t be surprised if there are casualties before the story is finished, at least you could do it that way if you want to, but I suspect a lot of readers would get really disappointed so I think you will actually go with a happy end.

 

Anyway, I read all of the 15 chapters over the last couple of days, so here comes a summary of the reading so far: The rural setting is nicely described and it´s easy to picture the farm and stables, the barn and so on while reading. And I really like the slow build-up - that´s how I like my romances. A quick introduction of the love interest(s) and then long, hard (no pun intended ) way getting there, and this you do just nicely.

 

The main characters are sweet and likable, both of them in their own way, but it´s the sub-characters that really have me going, especially the bad ones. Not being a native speaker I´m not sure whether Candy´s name gives the same connotations it does for me, but her name alone have me thinking of just what kind of girl she is even before you start describing her, and it´s not the kind I think very highly of. But it´s Billy´s parents that deserves the most attention. Mr Templeton is a horrible man, and the more I read the more horrible he becomes. He´s this story´s villain and what seems like a quickly growing threat to Billy´s safety, happiness and future. But what really upsets me while I´m reading is the mother!

 

How is Annie able to stay with a man that apparently is no good for her children? He has driven one child away already and is severely damaging the younger. Surely she is picking up on this, or she wouldn´t try meddling between her son and her husband or try to ease the boys workload when it´s apparent it´s too heavy. How she can have any love left for him is a mystery to me. Even if her reasons for staying are important and believable, and I hope there are reasons to explain her behavior, I will find it hard to forgive her.

 

I´m not sure about the custom here. Most reviews are short, and it´s understandable when you give a review after each chapter (so just split this with 15) and I´ve never really seen any critical ones. But is it OK to come with constructive criticism as well?

 

I duck my head and prepare being hit hard if it´s not allowed/appreciated, but there are two things (And both are minor) that disturbed my reading. The first is from the first chapter.

 

When I began reading the first paragraph it started of like it was David´s inner monologue, and then in the second paragraph, he introduced himself to the reader "My name is David Bailey ...". This kind of sentences can have me stop reading right away. I would have preferred no introduction, and it is in fact not necessary. A few paragraphs further down Billy asks: "Are you Davis Bailey?" and the reader finds out anyway, in more natural circumstances.

 

The second is the shifting POV, not Billy´s and David´s, but the short and few told from Annie´s and Sam´s POV. There are other ways to get the unnecessary information to the reader.

 

See, nothing major and you can just ignore it if you don´t like it.

 

Anyway, all in all, its a nice read. And I will look into some of your other stories as well when I get the time, and of course I will await this story´s next chapter. And I do like happy ends, I´m just not sure how it will work out for these boys.

Hello Sorgbarn, good to meet you. First off let me thank you for reading and for you very detailed review. I loved it. I plan on replying to you in more detail via a private message, I just wanted to post here that I have read your review and i thank you for it. best,Owl
Link to comment

I really like "Indiana Summer" and I hope to see it completed. I think it is among the best that gayauthors.org has to offer. Thanks!

Link to comment
On 10/31/2011 01:39 AM, Pipo said:
I really like "Indiana Summer" and I hope to see it completed. I think it is among the best that gayauthors.org has to offer. Thanks!
Hello Pipo, Good to meet you,

 

I'm glad that you like the story and I assure you that you will most definitely see it completed. I want to thank you so much for your compliment, it means a lot to me.

 

best,

Owl

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..