Jump to content

Thirty Daze in April - 2. April 8 through April 14

A second week of ideas and poems. Again, if there are errors, they are all mine.

April 8

 

The words I tell myself when I’m alone

no man of worth or merit would endure

for he would hardly suffer to inure

himself to phrases cutting to the bone.

Such things I utter when I’m on my own

remind me that I’ll never be secure

for I must keep my hot self hatred pure

nor any sort of punishment postpone.

Remonstrance, reason, none will I receive,

for in my denigration must I dwell;

yet there is one who hastens to relieve

me from the torment of my private hell

and patiently assists me to unweave

my wicked and unholy inner spell.

 

April 9

 

How far does a blank page extend,

delineate its borders, please;

my curiosity appease

to find where its horizons end.

Its void leaves me quite ill at ease

for who would mar this surface white,

a snowscape like a prairie bright

unbroken by the hills and trees?

Though literate and erudite,

the words to tame this empty space

refuse my tongue and pen to grace

and composition expedite.

One cannot with a measure trace

how far afield I must explore

to find the edge of evermore

where paper joins with cyberspace,

and foolscap which was heretofore

delimited so I could spend

my hours at verse and fiction penned

has awed my muse to silence sore.


 

April 10

 

Green herons linger

on the stream’s low shingled bank

hunting for crickets

 

A rainbow trout leaps

where river, rock and air meet,

heedless of his splash

 

Kingfishers chatter

from cottonwood overhangs

outwaiting minnows

 

Silver bright moonlight

shimmers on rippled waters

waltzing with the stars


 

April 11

 

Now whisper, stream,

your secrets kept locked deep in earth;

no longer dream

of warming days and songbird’s mirth,

forgetting sere autumnal dearth.

 

Speak of new birth,

of sparkling brook from soil and stone

poured into firth

or underground in caves unknown

to bathe blind fish where naught has shone.

 

Do not disown

the murmured spells of summer’s eve

which you intone

to mesmerize poor hearts that grieve

or those who pine for make believe.

 

Quick water, weave

deep magic made of starlight’s gleam;

my fears relieve,

and raise me in my love’s esteem,

make me the music of his theme.


 

April 12

 

Broad oceans,

Homeric Odysseys,

bold pirate chases and pitched battles,

all have I lived as I sailed the soapy seas;

I stood steel-eyed on the plastic deck

and went down with the ship

in the bath.

 

April 13

 

I celebrate the you and me,

those differences that set us free

to form ourselves without a mold

into the men we’re meant to be.

 

Now some run hot, and others cold,

some dress in vivid colors bold,

but there are those whose pride is mild

though no less strong, so I am told.

 

Ring out the bells in accents wild,

in variation stand beguiled,

rejoice in short, or fat or tall,

to every man be reconciled.

 

Let’s revel in the free-for-all

and dance, if you should feel the call,

for we were made exquisitely

and not as dull convention’s thrall.

 

April 14

 

Measurement

does you little justice,

and I doubt you would be very pleased

if at this moment I pulled out my protractor,

still less slide rule and calipers to

love the geometry

of your smile.

I continue to be grateful for comments and criticism and responses of all kinds. Thank you.

Copyright © 2019 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 6

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hugs. It seems it was a rough week, especially at the beginning. But April 14th made me smile; what a perfect little gem it is. You inhabit the form perfectly, as each line is a natural length and blends smoothly from the minute (individual line) to the whole (the entire poem). Well done :)

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Hugs. It seems it was a rough week, especially at the beginning. But April 14th made me smile; what a perfect little gem it is. You inhabit the form perfectly, as each line is a natural length and blends smoothly from the minute (individual line) to the whole (the entire poem). Well done :)

 

Thank you for your generous words. I’m immensely grateful, as I was unsure if April 14 worked.  As for April 8, I know I am my own worst critic; and the next day seemed an elegy for a poem that refused to emerge onto paper. It did indeed get better after that. Thanks again. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

April 12 made me laugh gloriously. Thank you.

April 8 and 9 are both exquisitely powerful. I've been there.

 

This, from April 11... such a perfect verse to end a wonderful poem! 

"Quick water, weave

deep magic made of starlight’s gleam;

my fears relieve,

and raise me in my love’s esteem,

make me the music of his theme."

 

April 13 is a wonderful celebration of 'our' diversity. One word does not define us, and you say this well. Loved it!

 

April 14 is immensely charming... from my favorite poet nerd. :)  

These poems are more proof your poetic voice and talent knows no bounds, good sir. :hug: 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Fascinating and beautiful, some high, some low, some light, some dark, some playful, some not.

Very enjoyable, and thank you!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Your words of April 9 created a picture so clear in my mind I have reached out and crumpled the blank page in frustration.

April 12 ends so eloquently in my mind ... glub, blub, glub.

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
13 hours ago, Headstall said:

April 12 made me laugh gloriously. Thank you.

April 8 and 9 are both exquisitely powerful. I've been there.

 

This, from April 11... such a perfect verse to end a wonderful poem! 

"Quick water, weave

deep magic made of starlight’s gleam;

my fears relieve,

and raise me in my love’s esteem,

make me the music of his theme."

 

April 13 is a wonderful celebration of 'our' diversity. One word does not define us, and you say this well. Loved it!

 

April 14 is immensely charming... from my favorite poet nerd. :)  

These poems are more proof your poetic voice and talent knows no bounds, good sir. :hug: 

 

 

I’m in your debt for such kind words. Your laughter at April 12 is music to me. And I am glad the last stanza of April 11 agreed with you, too. April 13 may be a personal favorite, though it has competition from the 14th.  Thanks so very much for reading these and for your thoughts. 

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
12 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Fascinating and beautiful, some high, some low, some light, some dark, some playful, some not.

Very enjoyable, and thank you!

Thank you for taking in the full panoply of last week’s offerings. I’m very glad you found them to your liking. 

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 hours ago, aditus said:

April 8

 

I had to look up some words. When everything became clear. I needed to take a break. I'm relieved you have the one. *hug*

April 9 ....where paper joins with cyberspace... That's perfect!

April 10 I want to sit at this river's bank

April 11 made me smile

April 12 Aye!

April 13 A celebration of the diverse gene pool to me. I can't help myself.

April 14  Oh my! 

 

Thank you Adi for reading these. April 13 is indeed that celebration you spoke of. Why the downcast devotees of uniformity always get the most attention eludes me. You are welcome at my streambank any day. I must cross it on my way to and from work. I’ll look for you. 

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, dughlas said:

Your words of April 9 created a picture so clear in my mind I have reached out and crumpled the blank page in frustration.

April 12 ends so eloquently in my mind ... glub, blub, glub.

I’m so glad April 12 touched a chord. Sometimes, I think blank paper has the most snarky, taunting voice... thanks so much for reading and commenting. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

a sad beginning but all in all a good week of poems. thanks

Thank you for reading this week. It was a tough start, I agree, but things improved as the days went on. 

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

April 8 makes me want to hug you :hug:  

April 9, I don't think I've ever heard writer's block penned so exquisitely. 

April 10 I love them all, but in particular the bright moonlight waltzing with the stars. 

April 11 water is such a powerful force.  I particularly like the last two lines.  

April 12 :rofl:  I love it!  You made me laugh out loud and picture it quite clearly :) 

April 13 👍

April 14 made me smile.  Somehow, I can totally picture you doing this.  :gikkle:  

Thanks for sharing your poems.  As always, I am in awe of your talent.  :worship: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

April 8 makes me want to hug you :hug:  

April 9, I don't think I've ever heard writer's block penned so exquisitely. 

April 10 I love them all, but in particular the bright moonlight waltzing with the stars. 

April 11 water is such a powerful force.  I particularly like the last two lines.  

April 12 :rofl:  I love it!  You made me laugh out loud and picture it quite clearly :) 

April 13 👍

April 14 made me smile.  Somehow, I can totally picture you doing this.  :gikkle:  

Thanks for sharing your poems.  As always, I am in awe of your talent.  :worship: 

You’re awfully kind to make your way through all of these. Your words are very generous. I think my personal favorite of these is April 13, or maybe April 11. Thank you so much for reading these and commenting on them. 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..