Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,657 Words
  • 786 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space New World - 7. DSNW Chapter 7

Two of the space craft transporting them to Deimos, would remain on Mars, and the other four would be travelling to Ganymede, where there will be some alternations made to two of them, so they become cargo transporters, while the remaining two will remain and passenger transporters.

The wedding was a very grand event, enjoyed by everyone who attended, and for those who couldn’t make it, the event was broadcasted to all parts of Sahndrol and the United Republic of Planets as well. Before leaving the home world, I was briefed about some technology improvements, that included security improvements, allowing the URP to connect into any justice, security or law enforcement organisation, for checking on applicants wishing to be a citizen or resident of a URP colony or city.

I was pleased to hear this, as there is not a 100% guarantee that a computer on Earth cant be hacked for hostile or unlawful purposes, and as part of this upgrade, we would be making stops at each of the colonies, and including the European Space Port on the Moon, to make sure that no one can sneak into a URP facility.

After stops at Neptune, Sunaru, Saturn, Jupiter and Mars, with the rest of the fleet stopping off at Ganymede, we finally arrived an ESA Space Port, with the additions to the actual docking facilities completed, and the Star Voyage, using one of the new Space Docks.

The ESA Administrator was there when we arrived, along with a few of her senior staff. “Serine Highness and Crown Prince, it is nice to see you both again, I have been informed that you wish to speak to me,” the Administrator said after giving a short curtsy.

“Hello Melanie. Yes, we have a security update for you, that will dramatically improve your security screening process for people coming up from Earth,” Mum said to the Administrator. “Very good to hear Ma’am, no doubt you know the way to the control centre. I will leave you in the capable hands of our chief of security, Amanda to assist you in anyway and I will see you in my office once you are done,” the Administrator said.

Ten minutes later the new security upgrade was installed and was doing an immediate scan of all people who have travelled up from Earth so far. Just moments after we entered the administrators office and just sat down, the telephone rang on her deck.

“Very good, locate them all, and have them detained for questioning, but they are not to be release under any circumstances without the specific permission of a United Republic of Planets representative, understood?” We heard the Administrator say before she ended the call and took a deep breath and let it out.

“It appears that your new update had come up with six persons of interest, with the Retina, Palm and Thumb Prints database updated, and as you heard they are been detained now,” the administrator said, just as her telephone rang once more.

“Yes, Hello,” the Administrator said sounding annoyed at the interruption, “yes, they are both here… Yes, I know of him… ok, I will inform them of this matter, thank you,” she said before ending the call and turning to face Mum and I. “There is a Mr Hargraves requesting to speak to the Crown Prince of Sahndrol, with approval from Mr Lucas Durham,” the Administrator announced.

“Hargraves… I wonder if it is the prefect. Did the caller say if this Mr Hargraves was from Winchester College?” I asked, “It was a communications link with the International Space Federation in Geneva, from Mr Durham’s office,” the Administrator replied.

“Mother, I would like to get in contact with Mr Durham, and see if it is the Prefect from my old school, who is trying to contact me,” I said to my Mum, “Yes dear, I am sure you can be shown to an office so that you can contact him,” Mum replied, as she looked over to the Administrator, and five minutes later I was seated in a small meeting room, and the communications hub buzzed.

“Your call to Mr Durham at the International Space Federation in Geneva for you sir,” a voice said to me, “Thank you, patch me through please,” I responded. “Hello Crown Prince Lenegan, this is Lucas Durham speaking, you received my message?” came a familiar voice.

“Yes, thank you, now is this the same James Hargraves, prefect from Winchester College?” I asked, “It indeed is sir, he is here in Geneva, and he is wanting to speak to you, I was not sure if I could get a message to your right away, as I was not sure where you were currently located,” Lucas replied.

“I am at the ESA Space Port on the Moon, just arrived back from the Home World, as we went to attend the wedding,” I said to Lucas. “Yes of course, I saw the replay of it here in Geneva, it must have been quite an event to watch in person sir. Now, can we arrange a time for you to speak to Mr Hargraves?” Lucas replied.

Just three hours later, I was back in the administration building, but in a bigger meeting room, that has video conference facilities in it, and after pressing the button to connect, the slightly older face of James Hargraves came up on the screen, as he stood and bowed.

“Crown Prince, it is good to see you again sir, I am sorry that I was not able to assist you at the college, after that dreadful incident at Heathrow,” James said to me, “Take a seat please James, and you can call me Mason. Now what is this in regards to?” I replied.

“Sir, since I learnt that you were from the Home World of Sahndrol, I did as much research as I could, in preparation for me taking up the role of head protector as arranged by Ambassador Durham, which didn’t eventuate, and after learning that you would not be returning to the college, I was still interested in learning much more about space.

I was always fairly good with my schooling, and I always had a big interest in Science, which became my main focus, after I learnt that you were from Sahndrol. Since leaving Winchester seven years ago, I have been learning as much as I can.

I have two Master’s Degrees in Science, one in Astrophysics, and the other in Geophysics, plus a Degree in Astronomy, and I have been spending time at numerous Space Observatories around the world. I would very much like to expand my knowledge and skills by being able to be in space, and continue my studies, and that is the main reason for me trying to contact you sir,” James said to me.

“I see, well you have my permission to apply to come to a URP facility, just get Mr Durham to do a complete application process for you, and if all is good, then we will see if we can get you to come up to the Space Research and Training Academy on Mars. I am currently at the ESA Space Port on the Moon, but I will be heading back to Mars in a day or two, so I may get to see you again soon, if all goes well,” I replied.

“That would be awesome, thank you very much sir, I do appreciate this very much,” James said to me, “One last thing James, do you remember that meeting you had with the School Masters and Mr Durham? Do you recall the item that Mr Durham placed in your hand on that day?” I asked, and I saw James chuckle.

“Sir, I will never forget it, the one and only time I have held 10 grams of pure gold, it was just amazing,” James replied, “Well my friend, be prepared for many more amazing things to happen in your life. Bye for now,” I said before ending the call.

I sat in the room for a short while, smiling at how much my former school prefect’s life will change, if and when he comes up to Mars. “Excuse me Sir, a message from the Administrator, asking if you could please go and see her right away,” a voice said over the communications hub, “Very well, I’m on my way, I responded.

“My Lord, we have a result in regards to the latest security update, that you may not be too happy about…” the Administrator began, as I took a seat in her office. “Go ahead, I am listening,” I responded, feeling like I was about to be hit hard in the stomach, which is exactly how I felt, when I was informed that a Mr Ewan Torres, a former Customs Officer for Her Majesty’s Government, in the United Kingdom was on a URP facility, to be exact he was in the Capital on Ganymede.

I tried to stay calm, as the Administrator informed me that as soon as the alert came up, security at Ganymede City were informed, and they quickly located and detained Mr Torres, who had changed his name and had some minor surgical changes to his face, but it was his retinal scan that had picked up who he really was.

Looking into his history, it had been revealed that he had only served eight months of his sentence, after appealing the length of his sentence, and after a year of probation, he was free to do whatever he wished, and this is when he disappeared from all records, and has only just now reappeared.

A scan of his palm and thumb prints confirmed that he was indeed Mr Ewan Torres from the UK on Earth, and when he refused to say anything when questioned, he was placed on a transport bound for Mars, and would arrive in less than two days’ time.

Copyright June 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 11
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The security upgrade is already achieving results.  The Crown Prince( for now) has more investigations and something that is troubling . It seems he will be happy to see on Mars his former earth school administrator, Mason continues to take everything in stride

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lots of questions raised in this, as @centexhairysub and @chris191070 pointed out.  I trust that the security upgrades will continue to be valuable.
Has Huon shown Isaac and Mason/Maenyl the secret passageways where they live yet?  And then, has the Crown Price demanded to see the complete architectural drawings of the building, so he can know if there are additional secret passageways Huon does not know about?

Good chapter, @quokka.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

The security upgrade is already achieving results.  The Crown Prince( for now) has more investigations and something that is troubling . It seems he will be happy to see on Mars his former earth school administrator, Mason continues to take everything in stride

Yes, the security upgrades are being very useful.  We will have to see what additional things develop from them.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This can't be good...hopefully our intrepid interloper hasn't had any time to perform skulldurugery!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

This can't be good...hopefully our intrepid interloper hasn't had any time to perform skulldurugery!!

Skulldugery, Haven't heard that word in a long time….

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..