Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,369 Words
  • 1,369 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space New World - 4. DSNW Chapter 4

“Thank you, please take a seat… I wish to thank the Members of the UN Security Council who invited me to speak to you today. Just before the Space crash incident on Mars, which resulted in the URP rescuing all of the astronauts, and after a period of quarantine, they were recently returned to Earth safely, the URP Council had concluded discussions and agreed to a number of things.

Firstly, that the European Space Lunar Base would be increased in size, to allow for more personnel to be stationed there, and that would include a bigger spaceport terminal to allow for the additional arrivals and departures, plus additional storage facilities, plus an additional two more Space Shuttles for the additional travel between Earth and the Moon.

The second decision, is that the URP will build an additional two more Lunar bases, to allow four other Space Agencies on Earth to be able to participate in more space activities, like the European Space Agency has done, and will include one - twelve seat - lunar shuttle for each Lunar base, to allow travel between their Lunar base and the main Space Port.

The SRTA – Space Research & Training Academy, has a number of qualified shuttle pilots, who will be assigned to pilot the lunar shuttles between the different Lunar Bases, as well as the space shuttles to and from Earth to the Moon.

The European Space Agency having the main spaceport on the Lunar surface will have total control of all space traffic, customs and quarantine control, and is the URP’s recommendation that the European Space Agency also manage all security and law matters on the Moon,” I announced to the UN Security Council Chair, and there was some chatter amongst some of the council members.

Once order had been restored, the Chair of the Security Council spoke. “Lord Lenegan, thank you for your announcement today, it has been quite a surprise and puts todays planned discussions on hold. As many here today already know, there was to be discussion on ways of managing the situation on the Moon, with the increase tensions between the European Space Agency Lunar base and two on the space agencies on Earth.

“I recognise the Ambassador for the Peoples Republic of China,” the Chairman stated, and via a translator the Chinese Ambassador – “Sir, you have stated that two more Lunar bases are to be built for four more Space Agencies. Where will these bases be located and which countries will be sharing the Lunar bases?” the Ambassador asked.

“Thank you for your question, Mr Ambassador, as you may well know, building anything in space is very expensive, and so as to try and reduce the tensions between all the space agencies on Earth, the High Council decided that having the European Lunar Base as the main Space Port, and that the Chinese and the Russian Space Agencies share one facility, and that NASA and the Japanese Space Agency share the other facility.

As I stated earlier, the Space Port will manage all security, customs and quarantine facilities, as well as additional storage. As for the locations of the other lunar bases, that has not been finalised as yet, and we thought that this should be something that the UN would like to participate in.

As you know the European Space Port is located at Sinus Medii, fairly central between all six Apollo Landings, and on the Lunar equator. For the Russian and Chinese Lunar Base, we would like to recommend 29’North and 0’ East, the location of the Luna 2 landing back in September 1959, near Montes Archimeites or maybe the location of the successful Luna 9 landing back in January 1966, at 7’North and 64’ West, near Hevelius,” I suggested in response.

“Chair recognises the Ambassador for the United Kingdom,” the Security Council Chairman announced, “Thank you Mr Chairman… Lord Lenegan, thank you for coming today, do you have any location recommendations for the proposed Luna Base for the USA and Japan?” the Ambassador asked me.

“The URP High Council has discussed this also, and has recommended that they establish their Lunar base at the most historical place for the USA, at 1’N and 23’E, the landing site of the Apollo 11 at the Sea of Tranquillity, unless the Japanese Government has any suggestions,” I replied. “Chair recognises the Ambassador for Japan,” the Chairman announced.

“We could be honoured to share a facility with the United States at such a historic location,” the Ambassador announced. “Very well, I will await for a response to these recommendations and forward them to the URP High Council, at their next meeting, and I will send word via the New Zealand Ambassador, with the response,” I announced.

Ten minutes later, Isaac and I were back onboard the cruiser and heading back to the house, knowing that I would soon be in a video conference with my Uncle, to inform him of what took place at the United Nations Security Council Meeting.

It took just three days, before I received news from the New Zealand Ambassador that he had received a response from all four space agencies, regarding the URP proposal. The USA and Japan gratefully accepted the location of Apollo 11 as their Luna Base site, which will be approximately 524 kilometres East of the Space Port, and the Russian and Chinese response was that they wanted separate Luna bases for security reasons, and that they want the Luna bases to be built as soon as possible.

I informed the Ambassador that I would send a response to him to pass on to the four agencies, once it has been discussed with the URP High Council, and that any additional requests like the ones from the Russian and Chinese governments will be ignored.

What really surprised me, was when the Ambassador also informed me that the ISRO – Indian Space Research Organisation plus the South Korean Government had expressed an interest in establishing a lunar base on the moon. This made me realise that there was a lot more work to be done before the other lunar bases could be built, so I thanked the Ambassador for the additional information and that I would be in contact soon, before I ended the call.

“That is just bloody great, all I need now is more complications,” I groaned more to myself, forgetting that there were others in the house who were in hearing range of my complaining. “Problems dear? How can I help?” Mum asked me, as she stood by the door to the study, where I had taken the call from the UN.

“More like a major headache than problems, I need to talk to Uncle, and I think that this is a face-to-face meeting needed for this one. I need to go to Ganymede and soon,” I replied. “It isn’t easy is it, having large responsibilities, I had to learn that very quickly when your Uncle was off duty,” Mum responded.

Six hours later, Isaac and I were onboard the Star Voyager, and on our way to Ganymede, and during those three days of space travel, I attended a number of video conferences with my Uncle, and one with the High Council included.

Isaac made sure that I ate properly and got plenty of sleep and rest during the journey, as we both knew that the ne few days at Ganymede were going to be quite strenuous. As expected, I received an official welcome with the Royal Guards in full dress uniform, and along with the Emperor, there were two others with him who I had not expected to see.

“Mrs Otterman, this is indeed a nice surprise to see you,” I said as I approached smiling, “My Lord, it is good to see you again to,” Isaac’s Mother responded, while Isaac’s face was one of total confusion. “Hello my nephew, did you have a good trip?’ my uncle asked me.

“Yes, your Imperial Majesty, it was good, and my minder here made sure that I received plenty of rest and ate all my meals like a good boy,” I replied, which brought a laugh from both Mrs Otterman and my Uncle.

Copyright June 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 10
  • Love 11
  • Haha 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Defo more like it!! Good chapter!! Btw can't wait to read the sailing story that the other chapter belonged to - sure it wasnt a ploy to wet our appetites???? Lol 🤩

  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Thanks for fixing the chapter, I thought it was good and certainly left me pondering how all the different interesats in the lunar bases will be satisfied

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Well, Russia and China worked together enough to attempt an unauthorized encampment on Mars; they can just share a Moon base that they are not having to pay for or build or do without one at all.

Glad to see that the ESA will continue to be the gatekeepers with help from the URP.

Isaac is continuing to take his job/role seriously.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Freemantleman said:

Defo more like it!! Good chapter!! Btw can't wait to read the sailing story that the other chapter belonged to - sure it wasn't a ploy to wet our appetites???? Lol 🤩

Well done in fixing the text, @quokka.  But I definitely wish to read the story involving Zac, when you get it posted eventually.  You have a lot of good stories involving sailing.

I also agree with @centexhairysub about Russia and China on a Luna (the moon) base.  They can share or not have one.

Good work on this story.  Thanks.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..