Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,494 Words
  • 5,395 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Job Vacancy - 2. JV Chapter 2

When I woke in the morning to the sound of my alarm clock, it took me a few moments to remember why I set the alarm for a Saturday morning, and when I did, I smiled before jumping out of bed and heading to the bathroom for a shower.

Once I had showered, I dressed casually, before heading to the dining room for some breakfast, as I didn’t want to go to the meeting on an empty stomach. Back in my room, and with just 55 minutes to go, I called the taxi company and booked a taxi for 25 minutes, as I wanted to make sure I arrived in plenty of time.

Dressed in a fresh suit, with a matching shirt and tie, I stepped out onto the front courtyard, and watched the approaching taxi, right on time, which I was pleased about. “Where to mate?” the driver asked me as I entered the taxi.

“Number 79 Waratah Ave, Dalkeith please” I replied, as I closed the door and secured the seatbelt. Just over ten minutes later, we came to a stop outside a very small shopping area, in the leafy western suburb of Dalkeith, and I paid the driver and stepped out of the taxi.

Once the vehicle had gone, I spent a few moments looking around, and I couldn’t see any sign indicating a business office, but there is a small arcade, so I crossed the road and entered the small arcade, which looks to have about 4 shops on each side.

I pulled out the business card from my top pocket, to read the address on it, “Unit 7, 79” so I knew I was at the right street address. I spotted a shop number above the door of the second shop on the left, which read Unit 3, so I was now confident that I was heading the right way, and I came to a stop outside Unit 7, which has no advertising on it, and there were tinted windows and heavy curtains all along the glass front.

I knocked on the door, before taking a glance at my watch to check the time, “8.55 am,” I was five minutes early, so I hoped that was ok with my new boss. Moments later I heard the door unlock and it opened. “Good morning sir,” I said smiling.

“Good morning Davies, you are looking very smart for a Saturday morning,” Mr Wright said in reply, “I presumed that I would be required to be in business attire when working, so I came dressed that way” I answered, “Well you have impressed me already young man, and the haircut looks perfect, did you get that passport application in yesterday?” my boss asked.

“Yes sir, completed and submitted by 4.45 pm” I replied. “Good, take a seat and let’s get started. Firstly, do you want to start right away, or would you prefer to wait till after your semester exams are completed?” Mr Wright asked.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to complete the exams first, so it isn’t a complete waste of a semester of studies, and I can continue with them at another time hopefully” I responded.

“That is good to hear, now read all of this information, while I get us a cup of tea, how do you take yours?’ my boss said, “White tea, no sugar please sir” I replied, “Perfect, just as I have it,” my boss said and he exited the office, returning a few minutes later with two cups of tea, in a cup tray and a small paper bag, which contained two square cakes, called hedgehogs.

Twenty minutes later, after reading my work duties, presenting my driver’s license and current federal police clearance, plus completed filling in income tax forms, bank deposit forms, and superannuation forms, Mr Wright announced that all the paperwork was now completed, as he placed them in a vanilla folder and placed it in a desk drawer.

Next Mr Wright gave me a brief personal history of himself, of which some of it I already knew from reading his author profile, on his books. I learnt, that my boss had not had many relationships in his life, and he has been single for many years now, which he is comfortable with.

He has three younger brothers, who he rarely sees or speaks to, and several nieces and nephews, who he has not seen for many years, because he has been so busy. He has worked many jobs when writing was just a hobby, over six years, until his first published book, was a hit and he no longer needed to work other jobs.

My boss stated that he often travels to the UK and Italy, to promote his books, and he owns a small apartment at White Cross, Richmond, on the banks of the Thames River, which is just 16 kilometres from Heathrow Airport, where he stays when in Europe.

When travelling to Canada, he leases an apartment in Calgary as his central base while there, and hotels at other parts of Canada.

Mr Wright said that I was welcome to move into the apartment, whenever I wish, as the apartment is empty, and that it is located in the very modern building at number 87, a few buildings down the road. “You mean the fancy, three-storey building sir?” I inquired, and my boss chuckled at my surprised expression.

“I know I said modest home, I guess I stretched the truth a little there, I own four apartments in total, mine is apartment 32, which covers two levels at the top, and has three bedrooms and three bathrooms, a lot more than I need, but I like the space, and I turned one into my study.

Two other apartments I lease out, as part of my investment portfolio, and the last one is apartment 10, which I keep reserved for guests and friends, although I don’t have many of them. Apartment 10, will be your residence, it is on the first floor and has two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and I am sure you will like the space it provides.

I also have two vehicles, my favourite one, which I only take out on special occasions is a Bentley Continental GT, blue in colour, and it is awesome to drive, the second vehicle is for official events and is a Dark Grey coloured Rolls Royce Cullinan, of which you will be my driver.

Since appointing you as my new Administration Personal Assistant, I have decided to provide an ordinary vehicle for you to use, for running around doing whatever chores that I give you. So, I have looked into purchasing a Landrover Discovery, which is Bronze in colour, and will be delivered here on Wednesday, next week, once the sale is finalised,” Mr Wright announced.

“Sir, do you think that maybe a Landrover Discovery is a little more than ordinary, maybe a Holden Trax, would be more appropriate, as it is compact and easy to get around it. I had the chance to test one out two years ago, and they are great cars to drive” I suggested.

“Very well, if that is what you prefer, I will swap it for a Holden Trax, I just wanted you to be able to drive around in comfort that is all” Mr Wright stated, “Thank you, sir, but a Holden will be plenty big enough for me, let alone driving that monstrosity of a Rolls Royce” I commented, which made my boss laugh.

A few minutes later, after being issued with my own set of office keys and a key card to my apartment, we walked over to the bigger building, and I was amazed at the opulence as we entered the foyer area. “Wow, if this is what the apartments are like, I am in for a big shell shock” I commented as I glanced around some more, before following my boss through the secure door and to the elevators.

Once inside, I was instructed to use my key card and place it on the card reader, then press floor one. It was only then, that the elevator started to move, stopping moments later on the first floor, and I followed Mr Wright down the short hallway, till we arrived at apartment 10, and he indicated for me to open the door, using the key card again.

When I entered the apartment, I was shocked at how big and open it looked, and everything looked very expensive. “I had it remodelled when I bought the apartment, it was a lot fancier than, compared to what it is now” my boss informed me, as we walked through the living areas and the kitchen, before going to the big glass doors that lead to the wide balcony.

I didn’t bother to open the doors, as I could see clearly that the view was impressive, and I turned and took a look at the smaller of the two bedrooms, with a separate bathroom across the hall. Around the corner, I entered the master suite, which blew me away, with a huge ensuite bathroom, wardrobes and a huge king-size bed.

“Sir, this is way beyond what I am used to, even our family home in Albany isn’t as flashy as this, I really would be more comfortable with more suitable accommodations,” I said to my boss, who frowned at me. “Well it is up to you, I have already made one concession, the job comes with this apartment, if you don’t want the job, I can always keep looking for another candidate, who will accept the extras that comes with the job,” he said to me, and he turned to head back towards the door.

I sighed, knowing that I would be a stupid fool not to take this job and the apartment, “Very well sir, I don’t have a choice in the matter, I will accept the job with the extras included, it’s just going to take me a while to get used to it, that is all” I announced, and my boss faced me and was smiling.

“I knew you would see it my way,” he said to me, and I couldn’t help but laugh. “Boy, am I in for a roller coaster ride” I commented, and my boss just nodded and walked out the door, with me following.

Next, we went down to the carpark area, where I was shown the two vehicles, and I must have looked like a deer caught in the headlights, as the boss laughed at my expression, when I saw the Rolls Royce for the first time. “Considering that I had a fairly difficult life growing up, you are just going to have to accept that I am entitled to a few luxuries now that I can afford them” Mr Wright commented to me, as I cautiously opened the driver’s door and glanced inside.

“Come on, no time like the present, jump in, and you can take me for a drive, we will go and have an early lunch, Matilda Bay Restaurant I think, do you know where that is Davies,” my boss asked. “Yes sir, Hackett Drive, opposite the UWA Business School” I replied, as I opened the back door, and closed it again after Mr Wright had handed me the car keys and taken a seat in the back.

Although it was only a 3.5-kilometre drive, it was a very nervous one for me, having to drive the Rolls-Royce for the first time. I found it to be a very heavy vehicle, and I had to take extra care with going around bends and roundabouts, but I was very relieved when we arrived safely and I opened the back door for my boss.

“I will go and organise a table while you park the car please,” my boss said as he headed to the front door. A few minutes later, after a difficult and stressful few minutes of parking the car, I entered the restaurant, which was only about half full, and I quickly located where my boss was seated and headed that way.

After ordering a straight orange juice, I looked around the restaurant, which had some great views of the Swan River, and we settled for an enjoyable lunch. Mr Wright asked me which of his books that I liked the best, and why. So, I came him a detailed summary of the story, to prove that I had indeed read his books.

After lunch, we returned to the office, where I was shown the latest schedule that had been set out for promoting Mr right’s latest book, which has just been released a month earlier. For the next two weeks, Mr Wright would be attending book signings at several locations around Perth, as well as in Mandurah and Bunbury.

The week after I finish the last of my semester exams, I would be joining Mr Wright for an Eastern States book promotions tour, that had been organised by his editor. This tour would involve visiting 2 or 3 book stores and libraries each day for three days in Sydney, then the same in Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Townsville, Melbourne, Geelong and Adelaide, before returning home for a three-week Christmas & New Year break.

When Mr Wright mentioned this, I said nothing, but my mind was thinking, what the hell am I going to do for Christmas, I have been disowned by the family and I will be all alone.

“You will join me for Christmas Day lunch I hope, I have been volunteering at a local charity, that provides a full-on Christmas lunch for underprivileged families, and I want you to be my guest there,” Mr Wright said to me, a tear slowly dripped down my cheek when I heard this.

“I don’t know why I deserve all of this generosity from you sir, and yes I would appreciate having somewhere to be for Christmas Day” I replied. “Good, I am pleased, now run along and start packing your belongings, I will be at the back entrance to the college in two hours, to collect you, your luggage and bike,” Mr Wright said to me smiling, and I nodded my head, and headed out the door.

The first thing I did when I arrived back at the college was to find the residential college manager, who was sitting in his office reading a report of some kind when I knocked on his slightly ajar door. “Come in Mr Walker, what can I do for you?” the manager asked when he saw me enter.

“Sir, I am here to inform you that due to family issues, I will not be attending university or living in the college, as of the end of this semester” I announced, “I see, I have had good reports regarding your classes, it will be a shame that you are pulling out” the manager replied.

Copyright © August 2019 Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent chapter, I am glad that he is going to be okay, his life it would seem is in for a rollercoaster ride, 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Fantastic chapter. I’m glad that Davies accepted the job offer from Mr Wright, as he will have a great place to live as well as getting to travel with him to his book signings. The apartment is going to be a little hard to get used to for Davies as he didn’t even have it that good at home before he got kicked out and excommunicated by his dad because he’s gay. I hope that he gets used to the fact that he’s got a great job with benefits such as the apartment and a vehicle to use when he’s running errands for his boss. He even has a plan for Christmas Day to be the guest of his boss at a local charity where his boss volunteers every year. (I figured out what to say this time. Ha ha)

Edited by Butcher56
  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..