Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,677 Words
  • 1,312 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The situation on Keswick Island is true and current.
This story is my view on a solution that would please all involved.
Q

Lord Edwin - 2. Lord Chapter 2

Next door to Keswick Island is St Bees Island, of which is 2,720 acres, of which 12 acres is leasehold, which I have purchased, with a remaining twenty-year lease,” Robert announced, and both of us were stunned at this news.

I would like to make this a special holiday home for you both, and the first thing I want to do, it to replace the homestead with a more solid, cyclone-proof home, that won’t blow away easily, Next, I want to replace the holiday home with two cyclone proof, holiday cottages, pending approval from the government of course,” Robert announced to us.

“Wow, that sounds awesome, so will we be anchored at St Bees instead of Keswick?” James asked, “Yes, that is the plan, we have immediate access to St Bee’s, and the Homestead and cottage are on Homestead Bay which is West facing, it will be ideal for keeping an eye on the neighbouring project, but I suggest you anchor at Penny Bay, so the yacht is out of sight, and to answer your earlier question, yes I will be staying on the yacht for about a week, before heading home,” Robert replied.

“Hunter will be pleased to see you again,” I commented, and Robert laughed, “Hardly, because he knows that he had to keep on his toes when I am around,” Robert replied, and I just knowingly smiled and nodded. “This barge that you purchased, where is it now?” James asked.

“In Newcastle. Currently been loaded with all the required supplies, and hiring the required crew to get this project started,” Robert replied. “Do you think there will be much protest from the development company?” I asked, “Yes possibly, I heard from the Minister, that they were not too happy, when he informed them of the changes to the lease agreement, and what it entailed,” Robert replied.

“So, what will be the first things to happen with this project?” I asked my cousin, “After offloading the temporary cabins to accommodate the building crews, the barge will return with a number of loads of blue quarry stone, to create a wall along the east coast of the island, along the full length of the airport runway.

Once that is completed, more blue quarry stone will be brought in to extend the length of the runway, by an additional 250 metres, and when done, work will be done to seal the new section and reseal the older parts of the runway, which includes making the runway 6 metres wider as well.

The western side of the runway will be the location of the boat ramp, with a brand-new jetty built, that runs parallel to the runway, and will be only forty metres away from it. I am also offering to build a small marina, not as big as this one here in Mackay, just one big enough for a dozen yacht maximum, so the residents of the 23 homes on the island have a better way of getting to and from the island from Mackay,” Robert announced.

“Will you be providing a ferry service as well?” James asked, “Not at this point, but, if need be, I will look into it, if the current service fails to deliver,” Robert replied. After an enjoyable dinner with my cousin, we said goodnight to him and returned to the yacht, where we found an anxious Hunter waiting for us.

“Where on earth have you two been, and why didn’t you answer my calls,” Hunter asked us, and I just smiled. “We went out for dinner, and we had our phones on silent,” I responded, and Hunter sighed, “I am sorry My Lord, I was just worried that is all,” Hunter replied. “All is ok Hunter, you can relax now, and take the rest of the night off,” I said to my minder who nodded his head, before leading the way back onboard the yacht.

During breakfast the next day, James, Hunter and I were on the Upper aft deck. “I was reading a few development plans for the island, and I do not like what they have proposed. It is way too crowded and would totally spoil the island. I think that only one-third of the development should go ahead, and only in the Basil Bay region, with Connie Bay at the north end, be for recreational space only, and Arthur and Horse Shoe Bays have limited commercial accommodation and mostly recreational space,” I announced.

“What has his Lordship said about it since it is mostly his project,” Hunter asked, and James chuckled for a moment, “Well you can ask him that yourself later when he comes over for dinner tonight,” I replied casually, which caught Hunter totally by surprise. “His Lordship is here in Australia?” Hunter asked. “Yes, he is actually staying at the hotel just over there. We had dinner with him last night,” James replied.

“I am sure there is a lot more to this visit than just a look-see, I better get things cleaned up and ready for his arrival,” Hunter said as he started to stand. “Relax, he will be here later, I want you to have some time off for yourself first, once he has arrived then you can get back to your duties, and not a moment before, you hear me?” I said to him sternly. “Yes sir, Understood,” Hunter replied, as he sat back down to finish his breakfast.

Once we had eaten breakfast, I went to the nearest onboard telephone and pressed the button. Attention all Crew, meeting in the upper deck saloon in fifteen minutes, that is all,” I announced over the PA. A few minutes later Elizabeth arrived to clear the table and asked if we need anything for the meeting, which we didn’t.

Once all the crew were gathered, I stood up and walked over to the bar then back to my seat, but remained standing, “Just one announcement, the Captain and I had a surprise last night, and over dinner, we discussed a few matters. The Earl, Lord Robert Lindsay, is back in Australia, and he is actually here in Mackay.

He will be joining us on the yacht for a week. He will be on board for dinner tonight, then he will move board tomorrow afternoon. We will be leaving Mackay the following morning, for our destination, which will be St Bees Island, the neighbouring island to Keswick, sorry about cutting your time off short, but with this unexpected change, we need to get ready for the Earl’s arrival, so you have free time until 1300 hours, then it is back to duties for all, that is all for now” I announced.

“A few not very happy crew members, with your announcement,” James commented, once all the crew had left the room, with just Hunter, James and I remaining, I nodded my head in understanding, and with all the crew setting off the yacht once more, for the last few hours of free time, we remained on the yacht, with Hunter staying down on the main deck, relaxing in the main deck saloon, after locking the doors the external doors.

As Hunter, James and I were eating lunch, the crew all returned to the yacht, and after getting changed, they began work to prepare for the Earl’s arrival, and once we had finished eating, Hunter and I went ashore to do some final shopping before our departure in just over a day’s time.

As if we were expecting paying guests, all the crew were in dress uniform when cousin Robert arrived in the late afternoon, and much to our surprise, he was accompanied by another gentleman and a young teenager, who when they stepped onboard, I realised that it was Cousin Alexander and his son James Robert, who had grown a lot since I last saw him.

“Why hello Cousin, this is indeed a nice surprise, and you brought James Robert with you too, who I must say has grown quite a lot since I last saw you, young man,” I commented, as I shook both of their hands, before turning towards the Captain and the crew.

“Captain James Hackney and Yachts crew, may I present my cousin, Lord Robert Lindsay, Earl of Crawford and Balcarres in Scotland, and the Earl’s two heirs, Viscount Alexander Robert Lindsay, and his son Baronet James Robert Lindsay,” I said making the introductions, as all the crew bowed and curtsied, all except Chris Hamersley, the paramedic, which I saw all of my guests notice, as did James.

“That is all for now crew, return to your duties. Mr Hamersley sees me in the Bridge Deck saloon in five minutes. That is all,” James said and as all the crew set off to commence their duties including James, I remained with my guests, with Hunter hovering nearby.

“Have you been in Australia for long?” I asked my cousin Alexander and his son, “We arrived on the same flight as Robert, we met up with him in Singapore, and spent a few days looking around the beautiful city,” Alexander replied, the Water park was incredible,” James Robert added.

“That is good that you enjoyed your time there, now lets head up to the upper deck saloon, and relax a little before dinner, and maybe James Robert I will get one of the crew to give you a tour of the yacht,” I replied, “That would be fantastic please cousin,” James Robert responded happily.

Just as we arrived in the saloon the phone buzzed and I walked over to answer it, “Edwin speaking” I said answering the call. “My Lord, would you be kind enough to join me one deck up please,” Captain James replied formally, “Be there in a moment” I replied before ending the call. “I just have to go and see the Captain, I will be back in a moment,” I said to my guests, before heading out of the room, stopping briefly to ask Hunter if he would mind giving James Robert a tour of the yacht.

Updated
Copyright November 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 24
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Not to start an argument, but you would bow or curtsie as a courtesy so as to not be disrespectful. I'm an American, but I would still bow out of respect for the King of England or any member of the Royal family as well as any Lord's or Ladies.

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

They are on a Charter Boat and the paramedic is a crew member who needs to show respect to ALL guests no matter the protocols.

most would hope that the crew member is schooled and cautioned on his unprofessional conduct….. or perhaps he was distracted by someone/something  but being a long time reader of quokka - there’s something amiss or he’s probably on his way out 🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..