Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,968 Words
  • 1,148 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The situation on Keswick Island is true and current.
This story is my view on a solution that would please all involved.
Q

Lord Edwin - 13. Lord Chapter 13

“One of the most remote islands in Scotland dear, halfway between the Orkney and the Shetland Islands in the far north of the country,” Edna replied. Smiling I nodded my head to say that what she said was correct. “It requires a plane ride from Aberdeen to get there, as it is 260 kilometres due north of the city, I visited it some years back, when I first learnt about inheriting the island from a very distant ancestor,” I replied.

“Sounds wonderful, when are we going dear?” James asked me, “As soon as I can arrange transport and accommodation. Aled and Edna, you don’t need to come along, we will be fine, Hunter will be joining me as usual, and if you want to join us, Anton, you are welcome to do so,” I responded.

“Let me think about it please, and I will let you know,” Anton replied, as we continued to eat our breakfast in the kitchen, where we often ate when it was just the staff and me there. A few days later, with all the arrangement’s made, with everyone deciding to join us, we drove down to Edinburgh, where we boarded a commercial flight up to Aberdeen, where we would be chartering an aircraft to take us to the island.

Unknown to me, James had been making some arrangements of his own, which we would learn about once we were on the island, which only has a population of sixty, and only three guest houses on the whole island, and because of that we had to split up the group a bit, with James Hunter and I in one, and Aled, Edna and Anton in the other guest house.

The day after we arrived on the island, I with the news all around the island, that I had returned for a visit, we were collected for our accommodation and transported to the local primary school down the road, where the whole community was already gathered, and I was given a full official welcome by the residents, which included the two resident church ministers, on Methodist the other is Church of Scotland.

“… and finally, I have been informed that Lord Edwin’s partner wishes to make an announcement,” the island Chief said, after making the main welcome speech, and I turned to James in surprise, who smiled before dropping down on one knee.

“My Lord, my lover and my life partner, will you do me the honour of becoming my husband, here on this beautiful island,” James, asked me, and not only did I gasp, but I could feel tears escaping my eyes, at the absolutely beautiful way he proposed to me.

“Yes, I would be honoured to be your husband… and I think there will be wonderful,” I responded before the whole room burst into applause, and I looked around the room smiling, which changed to shock when I saw some very unexpected faces.

“Robert, James Robert and Alexander… what are you all doing here?” I said sounding quite shocked, we have come to attend a wedding of course, and also to provide all the catering for the event,” Robert replied, as new faces appeared before me, and I stumbled back a little in shock.

“M…mum, you are here? Wow,” I eventually said. “Not just my dear, all of your friends and staff too, we have been staying at Balcarres for the past few days,” Mum replied, as she stepped forward and gave me a warm hug, “It is wonderful to see you again,” I said softly as I soaked in the warm hug, “I am so pleased to see my son so happy, as are the rest of the team,” Mum replied, which had me confused, as we broke off our embrace and suddenly I saw a heap more familiar faces.

“Brad and Craig. Who arranged all of this?” I asked on seeing my old friends again, “Me of course, with the assistance of your mother, Lady Alexandria,” James replied smiling, as I saw yet more familiar faces, Charles and Elizabeth Dawson, my Tasmanian Manor staff as well as Robert’s staff from Balcarres Castle, and Alexander’s staff from his home too. “Well, this is indeed a wonderful surprise, to see all the family friends and staff together,” I commented, as I said hello to everyone individually, including the staff.

“That is not all Cousin Edwin… I took the liberty of contacting one of my newest acquaintances and extending an invitation to them too, as he took a step to the side, to reveal the presence of three very unexpected guests. “My Lord, congratulations on your coming event, I wish you both the best of happiness… May I present my two sons, Koen and Logan,” Julia Thornton said to me, as I stood there in shock until James gave me a light nudge?

“Hello boys, it is a pleasure to meet you both at last,” I eventually said as I came out of my shock at them being there, at first the boys stood there, not sure what to do until I smiled and squatted down to their level and they came rushing into my arms, giving me a hug, which nearly knocked me off my feet.

“Sir, what do we call you?” Koen asked me shyly, “I am your father, so you can call me whatever you wish,” I responded. There was total silence in the large room, as everyone watched the interaction between me and the boys, “Papa… thank you for saving my life,” Logan eventually said to me, “It was my pleasure, and the least I could do for you, considering that I had only learned that you existed a short time before that, due to my time in Zurich,” I replied.

I heard a gasp come from someone in the crowd, and I looked around to see who it was that did that, but because there are so many people that I hardly or did not know, it was difficult to tell. Robert cleared his throat and stepped closer to me. “Edwin, I also invited three other people to come on a long journey from their homeland, and all they know is that they would be attending a same-sex marriage on a remote island of Scotland, as part of their holiday, but I am guessing now from the gasp that Ms Patricia let out, that she has just realised why she is here,” Robert announced.

“Lord Edwin Crawford, may I present your other family, Ms Patricia Harrison, and her sons Owen, aged 4 and Corey aged 3 years,” James formally said to me, as a nice-looking lady and two young boys approached, with the boys holding onto their mother’s hands. “My Lord, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Patricia said as she gave me a deep curtsy.

“It is a pleasure to meet you too, Patricia, I was planning on coming to Canada to meet you all shortly, but I had no idea that it would be sooner. Welcome to Scotland, and my family,” I replied. “Sir, I had no idea that I would be meeting Scottish aristocracy until I arrived here on the island this morning.

Lord Robert, the Earl met us at the airport when we arrived, sat us down and explained that it was a family member of his who was getting married and that I was an unofficial representative from Canada, which I didn’t quite understand until I overheard Lord Edwin mention Zurich, then all the pieces of the puzzle fitted together,” Patricia said to me.

“Yes, my cousin can be a little sneaky when he wants to be,” I commented, which brought some laughter into the room. “Excuse me, Sirs, if I may interrupt, we have a wedding to prepare for, which is set for a few hours,” Hunter announced to us. “What? Today? What will I wear?” I exclaimed, which had everyone burst into laughter, as Hunter grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the crowd and outside, where a car was waiting for me, and I saw Robert escorting James into another car, and we started to head in opposite directions.

The car stopped outside the other guest house where Anton and Edna and Aled were staying, and I was led inside the cosy cottage. “In Anton’s room you will find your suit for the wedding, so try it on, to make sure that it fits, and then take a shave and shower to start getting ready,” Hunter instructed me.

“Hmm, bossy staff, I’m not sure if I should do as I am instructed” I commented. “My Lord… get into that bloody bathroom,” Hunter snapped at me, and I quickly retreated to the bedroom, where I paused for a moment and smiled before I looked over to the bed, where I found a full set of Scottish Kilt laid out on the bed.

“Holy sheep dip. Hunter, do I have to wear this?” I said loudly, “Yes My Lord, a demand from Lord Robert,” Hunter replied through the closed door, and I groaned at what I would be wearing. “With or without?” I called back, wondering if Hunter understood my question. “With fresh underwear sir,” Hunter replied.

I sat on the bed looking at the full kilt wondering how the heck I was going to work out how to put it on properly, before heading to the bathroom to shave and have a shower, and I took my time getting organised. Once I was finished, and trying to work out the kilt, I heard Hunter enter the bathroom and the shower turning on, so I started to put the kilt on as best as I could work it out.

When Hunter came out of the bathroom and took one look at me, he laughed. “My Lord, I think I had better assist you with that outfit,” Hunter said to me, and I groaned as I stood up and let him make the required adjustments to my suit, and when he had finished, I noticed that he too was wearing a kilt, with the same colour pattern as mine.

Hunter managed to get me to the Church of Scotland Church with plenty of time to spare, and we sat in a front room to wait out till it was time for the service, where I would be standing up the front and James would walk down the aisle.

When I did exit the front room, I was shocked to see four boys, all dressed in identical suits, standing in a line where I am supposed to be standing. Hunter was all smiles and nodded his head, indicating for me to keep walking and to take my place ready for the service, as we waited for the other groom to arrive.

When he did, he looked very handsome in his suit, and I couldn’t stop smiling as I watched him approach the tune of the bagpipes to play Mull of Kintyre, with my Mum as his escort. By the time James reached the front of the church, I had happy tears flowing down my cheek, and I felt a slight pump of my elbow and looked down to find Koen offering me his handkerchief, to wipe my eyes, which I gratefully accepted.

“Family, friends and the Island community, we are gathered here today, to witness the joining of these two wonderful persons in holy matrimony…” the minister began and the rest of the service was a bit of a blur, as I answered the questions and made my promise to love, honour and cherish my partner.

After the service, while James and I had some wedding photos taken, along with my now extended family, the community made their way to the Community school, where the real celebrations begin, and everyone had a wonderful time.

Updated
Copyright November 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 14
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a wonderful surprise from James, getting married with all of those family and friends around. Edwin didn’t seem to have time to talk about turning the island over to the people living there, and it would be nice to see the perpetrators of the yacht bombings apprehended.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, VBlew said:

What a wonderful surprise from James, getting married with all of those family and friends around. Edwin didn’t seem to have time to talk about turning the island over to the people living there, and it would be nice to see the perpetrators of the yacht bombings apprehended.

Be patient, its already written…

Q

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..