Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,044 Words
  • 1,054 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The situation on Keswick Island is true and current.
This story is my view on a solution that would please all involved.
Q

Lord Edwin - 11. Lord Chapter 11

“The second one is Ballagarraghyn Mansion House, just up the road from you,” I announced, “I have been in there too, they have a B&B accommodation there, and it is nice. Can we go and see it please,” Julia asked. “Certainly, we can arrange that, later today if you like,” Robert responded.

“So, how much exactly will I be getting for this monthly allowance?” Julia asked, “Well, I am guessing that your current monthly wage at the plant nursery is around 1,400 to 1,600 pounds?” I asked, and Julia nodded her head, yes, and I quickly converted that in my head to Australian dollars, which worked out to be around $2,850 per month, which wasn’t that much at all.

“That is the average wage for the UK, not much to survive on dear,” Robert commented, “No it's not, but I only pay a basic rent for the house we live in, so that does help a lot,” Julia replied. “I think we can do much better than that. We would like you to live in a more comfortable home, that you won't have to pay any rent or utility bills for, and as well as the monthly allowance, you will be given a car to drive, and also we would like to put your boys into a private school if that is ok with you,” Robert announced, and I nodded in agreement.

“I wouldn’t argue with cousin Robert, he will get his way, and this is all for the benefit of the boys. They came from nobility, so we have to make sure that they get a good education and have a nice home to live in,” I added. “I guess you are right there, Sir. It’s just a heck of a lot to take in all at once,” Julia replied.

“That is very true, and that is how I felt when I first learnt that I was of Nobel blood, but Robert helped me through it, and now I can handle anything that is thrown at me… well I hope I can,” I responded, and Julia smiled. “Excuse me, Mr Lords, I have taken the liberty to do some research, and the best private school on this island for Primary age students is Buchan School, located in Castletown, and I have commenced looking at houses for sale in that region too,” Hunter said, after standing and taking the few paces to our table.

“Always the reliable and helpful assistant,” I commented and I smiled at Hunter, and accepted the iPad that he was holding out to me. After a glance, I handed it over to Robert. “I think we had better finish up here, and start hitting to the road, if we want to do some house searching, check out the school and get back in time for when the boys get out of school,” Robert commented.

On the limo journey towards the south end of the island, Hunter and Robert were looking at options for a new home for Julia and the boys, while Julia and I talked about the boys, so I could get to know her and the boys some more, and I told her a bit more about me and my new boyfriend – James, who is currently sailing his new yacht on Lake Geneva, Switzerland.

“By the way, that matter at Keswick has been partially resolved, the other development lease has been cancelled, and some of the money from that lease has been set aside, to cover the costs of the loss of the yacht. All staff of that company have been kicked off the island, and there are some very happy residents there now,” Robert said to me. “That is very good news to hear. How are things going there, now that it is fully operational?” I asked.

“Much better now that they are off the island, and no longer causing problems with the residents and the new development, and tourism to the island has been booming,” Robert replied. When we arrived in Castletown, Julia and I were dropped off at the Buchan School, to get a look at the place, while Hunter and Robert went to look at some houses.

“Good Afternoon, how may I help you?” the lady at the counter asked when we stepped into the reception area of the school, and as discussed, Julia would take the lead with enquiries for the boys to be enrolled at the school. “Good Afternoon, my partner and I…” Julia began as she glanced at me and smiled, and I tried to not show a shocked expression.

“Would like to enquire about enrolling our 5 and 6-year-old sons into your school in the new term,” Julia announced, and for the next twenty minutes, we talked and filled in a heap of paperwork, which Julia did, to keep me as anonymous as possible.

Once that was completed, we were given a tour of the school, which I was quite impressed with. “One question if I may,” Mrs Kilburn, the Deputy Head of the school asked as we concluded the tour. I gave a nod of the head to indicate for her to continue. “Will Lord Edwin be participating in Parent activities?” Mrs Kilburn asked us, and we must have both shown surprised looks, as she gave a soft laugh.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, My Lord. I am presuming that this is a new development in your life and that you want this kept out of the press?” Mrs Kilburn added. “Well, yes, of course, that would be very much appreciated, and in return, I would be happy to donate for any projects or events that you may have at the school, during the time our boys attend the school. Yes, I am the biological father of the boys, and I have only just very recently learnt about their existence,” I responded.

“I am very pleased that your boys will be joining us, will you be relocating to a closer area to the school?” Mrs Kilburn asked, “Yes, Julia and the boys will be, but not me, as I am always travelling for business reasons. My cousin and my staff member are looking into that as we speak,” I replied, “The Earl is here? On the island. Well, we don’t get many visits from Aristocracy very often. I will keep the information about who the boy’s father is, in my head for now, so there is no paper trail,” Mrs Kilburn stated.

“Thank you for that. I am just a young man from a small city in South Eastern Australia, who just happens to be related to the Earl of Crawford, that is all. Until I was 16, I was brought up by my Great Aunt and Widowed mother in a small cottage, located near the back of the private school that I attended, and since then I have had a very interesting life, travelling the world regularly,” I answered.

Soon after this, I received a text message from Hunter, to let us know that they are parked just around the corner from the school. We thanked Mrs Kilburn for her time assisting with the enrolling of the boys and the school tour before we exited the school and headed back to the Limo. “How did it all go?” Robert asked me as soon as we settled into our seats.

“Very well sir,” Julia replied, “No formalities from now on Julia, you are part of the family, so it is Robert or cousin Robert if you want to make it semi-formal, when it is just us around,” my cousin said to Julia, “Sorry, it is just going to take a while to get used to all of this,” Julia responded, and I chuckled at this comment. “Reminds me of when I was sixteen and I had just learnt that I was related to the Earl, so don’t worry too much about it. No need for the curtsey either, unless we are at a formal event,” I said to reassure her.

“What are your views on telling the boys?” Robert asked, “I think we will wait until the boys are a little older in regards to telling them they are Aristocracy, and that they will inherit all of your stuff. Regarding Edwin here, I think we will introduce him to the boys as a distant cousin of mine, who I had lost contact with many years ago… Which is semi-true But we will wait until the boys are settled into their new home and school first,” Julia replied.

Robert had arranged for a viewing of two homes in the Castletown region, and it was the house 7 kilometres north of Ballasalla, and 12 kilometres north of Castletown, that had Julia and me loving it, as soon as we stepped inside the six-bedroom house, which includes an elevator, and which sits on ten acres of land, including a tennis court, walled vegetable and fruit garden, glasshouse, sheds, landscaped gardens that include ponds and a stream with water rapids.

We made an offer on the property, while we were still there, increasing the offer by a further 350,000 pounds to secure the deal, which was quickly accepted after the agent made a quick call to the sellers. Once the deal was signed, with a one-week settlement date, Julia and I went for another walk around the house, while Hunter and Robert relaxed out in the gardens.

“I think we should keep the master bedroom available for you, so you have a place to stay, and Hunter can have one of the downstairs bedrooms. I am very happy to have bedroom 2 next to yours, as it is plenty big enough, far more than what I currently have anyway, and the boys can have the other two bedrooms,” Julia said to me, as we looked at the upstairs area again.

“How about I employ a part-time housekeeper for you, just so that you can have some time to yourself, maybe do some volunteer work at the school or in the community?” I suggested, “Let me think about it, and see how we go once we are settled in here,” Julia responded. As we exited the house again, Julia stopped, “Maybe just a cleaner two or three times a week, would be great, as it is quite a big house, and so many bathrooms too,” Julia said to me, and I smiled, as we continued to walk towards Robert and Hunter.

“All finished? I bet you got plenty of plans for the house, oh and by the way, all the furniture is included in the sale of the property,” Robert announced, “Wow, that will help, I was dreading having to do all of the furniture shopping, all I got to concentrate is on a new bed and bathroom linen, and maybe a few prints for the walls,” Julia replied.

“No prints dear, it will be original paintings only, so we will be checking out some of the art galleries to see what is available to purchase,” Robert said to Julia, who was a little shocked by this. “Don’t forget, you don’t need to worry about money no more, everything will be taken care of,” I added. “Here is my business card, all you need to do is give me a call, send a text or an email, and I will get right onto it,” Robert said, as he handed over one of his cards to Julia.

“I think I will just get you to add my number to your phone, but make it very informal, so no one knows you are linked to our family. Anonymity is important, or else we get constantly hounded by the paparazzi,” I added. “Not a problem, Eddie it will be then,” Julia said with a big grin I laughed at this, as I gave her my business card, and she quickly added the information into her phone before returning the card.

On returning to Julia’s home, in time for her to collect the boys from school, I was given a recent photo of the boys, before we headed back to the accommodation, and from there Robert continued back to the airport, to fly back to Scotland in the chartered plane he had arranged.

Updated
Copyright November 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 15
  • Love 15
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well now...nothing gets up my craw like self-serving, supposedly entitled denizens who happen to think that as a result of a noble heritage that somehow they happen to think they are our betters and we are supposed to bow, genuflect, and curtsey before them... 

Kudo to you Quokka for writing this story and engendering such a strong reaction from me. As a direct descendant of Resolved White of the Mayflower, I can find an explanation/justification for feeling this way due to my revolutionary roots...

Through Resolved White, I trace my lineage to a couple of early American families, instrumental to the founding of America. The first family are the Adams', two of whom became presidents, through them I am related to 10 other presidential families.

The second family are the Wheelers of Sudbury Ma. Elijah Wheeler and his six sons took part in the battles of Lexington and Concord. Ashiel Wheeler went on to serve at Bunker Hill and the battle of Saratoga.

Now for the conflict, and it sucks being a Gemini, tracing Elisha Wheeler's family backwards, I find I am a descendant of Sir Henry Own Wheeler, Baron of Cranfield and his son Sir Thomas Wheeler, a Knight of the Realm. Imagine my surprise finding out I also have a noble heritage!!!!

While I have to fully trace a couple of other family branches, it would appear relatives can be found going back to the days of William the Conqueror and the Doomsday Book, including some who also have a noble heritage!!!!

Being astrologically a Gemini, it would appear that I am at war with both sides of my background!!! 😉

  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well now...nothing gets up my craw like self-serving, supposedly entitled denizens who happen to think that as a result of a noble heritage that somehow they happen to think they are our betters and we are supposed to bow, genuflect, and curtsey before them... 

Kudo to you Quokka for writing this story and engendering such a strong reaction from me. As a direct descendant of Resolved White of the Mayflower, I can find an explanation/justification for feeling this way due to my revolutionary roots...

Through Resolved White, I trace my lineage to a couple of early American families, instrumental to the founding of America. The first family are the Adams', two of whom became presidents, through them I am related to 10 other presidential families.

The second family are the Wheelers of Sudbury Ma. Elijah Wheeler and his six sons took part in the battles of Lexington and Concord. Ashiel Wheeler went on to serve at Bunker Hill and the battle of Saratoga.

Now for the conflict, and it sucks being a Gemini, tracing Elisha Wheeler's family backwards, I find I am a descendant of Sir Henry Own Wheeler, Baron of Cranfield and his son Sir Thomas Wheeler, a Knight of the Realm. Imagine my surprise finding out I also have a noble heritage!!!!

While I have to fully trace a couple of other family branches, it would appear relatives can be found going back to the days of William the Conqueror and the Doomsday Book, including some who also have a noble heritage!!!!

Being astrologically a Gemini, it would appear that I am at war with both sides of my background!!! 😉

Should i bow or curtsy to you Drsawzall?   🫡

Edited by quokka
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, quokka said:

Should i bow or curtsy to you Drsawzall?   🫡

Well, if I am wearing my latex exam gloves I would suppose you would be bowing....just saying...

If I am dressed like Elmer Fudd hunting rabbits I would suggest that you pass the powder and keep a low profile!!

Biopsie de prostate illustration de vecteur. Illustration du ...What Can We Learn from Rabbit Chaser Elmer Fudd Way of Speaking? "Be ...

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..