Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,490 Words
  • 3,395 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 33. Evolve! Now!!

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!!

After getting something to eat, we met together back in the room where the agents worked. Gabriella had shown she might be as good a tracker as Alex. She was too pleased she’d proven she was more than just Colin’s daughter. Colin wasn’t happy about it, but what could he say to her? Don’t come anymore? Alex was not happy either. The human male was naturally protective.

Gabriella was listening in a chair to their objections calmly, but in the end, she got up. “You know? I was watching a program on that magical box you call TV, I found that the magic box does more than entertain. She was talking with these women who were victims of sexual assault.” She smiled. “Now, I wasn’t exactly sexually assaulted, but I was attacked, wasn’t I?”

Alex frowned. “Yes, but…”

“Daddy, was I attacked?” Gabriella asked Colin.

“Yes, but…” Colin said hesitantly.

Gabriella hurried on. “This woman explained about taking control,” Gabriella said calmly and began to pace in a circle as she spoke, just like Colin did. I was smiling when I saw that. She was definitely Colin’s daughter. “She talked about empowering themselves by taking charge. They could remain a victim or take control.” She turned with her arms folded. “I’m choosing to take charge by taking control. Object all you two want. I could smell the vampire and you know I could.” She said firmly. “I was out of the world over a century. You two were in it, how is it you don’t think a woman can do this? I am a vampire. I didn’t want to be one, but that’s the way it is. Now, I ask…” she stopped pacing with a frown. “…no, I demand you acknowledge I can contribute to this.” She said a little angrily. “Evolve! Now!”

Colin and Alex were speechless.

I walked up behind Colin. “It’s hard, I know, but she can track vampires. We need her.” I said quietly to Colin.

“She’s my daughter,” Colin said as if that explained why he objected.

I looked at Alex. “Was she right tonight? Was she able to track the vampire?”

Alex nodded. “Yes, but she can get hurt.”

“And you can’t be hurt?” I asked trying to make him see reason.

Alex was a little uncertain. “Yes, but…”

Gabriella threw her hands out. “There you go! I can take care of myself.” She crouched into a stance. “Try to attack me.”

Alex was alarmed. “I’m not going to attack you!”

Gabriella smiled. “You couldn’t if you tried. During the war, I was left alone in that house. We had many that tried to rob me and even rape me; displaced souls that wandered during the Civil War. Many were just hungry, but some…” she shuddered. “I found I could take care of myself. I had to. Now, I am certain I can take care of myself. I know you love and care about me, I love you even more for that, but I’m doing this.”

Colin sighed and touched Alex’s shoulder. “Give it up, Alex. She’s right.”

It wasn’t too long before the fatigue got to us and we retired for the day, getting the few hours needed and rose again to face a new evening.

“Come on, we need to check on Stan and Mark,” I said as we were going for our first meal.

 

As we didn’t have a hospital as such, George had sent Mark to one of the dormitory rooms like the one Amanda was in. George did periodic visits to make sure Mark was doing alright. The building had been an office building built in the 1950s or 1960s. Where these dormitory rooms were, was a floor that had been just that. There was a central area where the secretaries and whatever sat to support the offices that ringed around the floor, the edge of this area had offices to line up along the walls. There were ten floors like that. This was where we had the dormitories. An office between every other office had been converted into a bathroom that the room on either side shared. Where the secretaries sat was a living area with various couches, chairs and tables and even a big screen TV for the residents to enjoy, but most rooms had a little TV in them. It had been redone and looked comfortable. We looked at the occasional guest there presently, one of who was Amanda, but she was off somewhere, doing whatever. We stopped at a door we were told Mark had been placed. The door was cracked open, so I looked inside carefully. Colin smiled, just as I did. Mark was awake, watching the little TV at a very low volume and lying in a…well, it was a twin sized bed, but there were two bodies in it. Stan was on his side, his back against Mark as Stan slept. Mark waved to us to come in but held his finger to his lips urging us to be quiet.

“How are you?” Colin whispered to Mark.

“Fine,” Mark replied in the same whisper. “I should be up in another day or so.” He grinned at Stan who hadn’t moved. “He had a rough few days. I’d prefer he gets as much sleep now as possible.” He said, lovingly running a hand gently over Stan’s sleeping form.

Colin chuckled. He had a rough few days!?” Colin said still in a whisper. “You nearly died.”

Mark chuckled back. “But here I am.” He said.

I smiled. “More important, how are you two doing?”

Mark grinned even bigger. “Looking forward to…” he literally began to blush. “…more when I get better.” He looked again at Stan. “I couldn’t even roll over without him at my side instantly.” But he didn’t have any regret in his voice as he said that.

I chuckled. “That tells you he really loves you.”

Mark smiled a little more softly. “Yes, he does.”

I looked around the dorm room. “Perhaps you can move to one of the apartments we have here.” I smiled. “There’s one on Colin’s and my floor. This was just for a short-term guest. You guys were housed here for us and for when you decide to do this full time. Do you think you’ll stay now?”

Mark nodded. “I can’t imagine any other place now.” He shrugged. “Can we do that? Move to your floor?”

I looked at Colin and then back at them. “I can’t say for the others, but when something’s working, why change it? Stan is amazing with the computer and you’re good on the streets.”

Mark chuckled. “When I don’t get stabbed.”

Colin smiled. “I don’t think anyone will get the drop on you now.” He jutted his head at Stan. “He’ll be watching out for you.”

“We’ll be on patrol again tonight,” I said. “The Vampire Search Squads will be out in force.”

Colin looked at me in surprise. “The who?”

I patted him on the chest. “Naming takes time, it’s a work in progress. I’ll think of something.”

Colin rolled his eyes and took my hand, then leaned a little toward Mark. “We’ll check on you later.” Once back in the hall he said in an almost normal voice. “You and all these names!?”

I shrugged smiling. “Every pot has a handle.”

Colin and I waved back at Mark and Colin spoke a little louder. “What now, VSS1 and VSS2?”

I grinned. “We need call signs.” I kissed him lightly as we walked. “I said it was a work in progress. Didn’t you ever see Stargate? SG1? It makes it…cooler!”

Colin rolled his eyes again. “Cooler.” He shook his head, but he was smiling.

Chuck came up behind us as he slapped Colin on the back. “Good morning!” He said and stopped. “Or good evening…well, good whatever.” He shrugged with a smile.

Colin smiled back. “You’re in a good mood. You must be looking forward to hunting again?”

Chuck laughed lightly. “I am!” He said. “I’ve done a lot of field work in the past, but…” he thought. “…this job has been…rewarding. I feel I’m making a difference.”

Colin grinned but was a little surprised. “Okay, I’m happy for you.”

Chuck looked a little sheepish. “I mean…I’ve been chasing bad guys, serial killers, and terrorists, but these are vampires. No political bullshit. Every time I’d corner a perp, there was always the lawyer or somebody to explain away what needs to be done…diplomatic immunity…are their rights being observed…but this…we find them and stop them! None of the red tape.” He shrugged. “I’m helping to get bad guys off the streets!” He said happily. “I feel like I’m really doing something!” He patted Colin on the back and then me and hurried on.

Colin was staring as he watched Chuck walk through the corridor. “Should I be concerned about him?”

I looked at Colin surprised. “Why are you asking me? I’m not the one that can sense people. What do you feel?”

Colin stood a minute thinking and finally shrugged. “Nothing. He’s just happy with what he’s doing.”

“So?”

Colin shrugged again. “So, nothing.” He kissed me quickly. “Let’s go.”

 

We gathered to decide where we would search. It was decided where we should go and then came deciding who was going with whom.

“You should have an agent each, so Shelly in one team and Chuck in the other,” Ruben said. “And with Gabriella a tracker, she should be in one team and Alex in the other.”

“What!?” Alex balked. “We’ll be separated?”

Gabriella chuckled as she took his hand. “That makes more sense and you know it.” She kissed his cheek. “It’s just for a few hours. We’ll be together again later.”

Alex looked almost hurt. “I thought you going with us so we can spend more time together.”

Gabriella smiled as she leaned close to Alex. “No, Sweetie, I wanted to go to do a job. I’m tired of sitting around waiting to see if you, Dad and Devon come back. I want to be productive.”

Alex looked disappointed but nodded. “Okay.”

“Then I guess we should split up, too,” I said smiling to Colin knowing how he’d react.

His eyes widened. “What!? No way! We are a team! We don’t need to split up!”

“So? Gabriella and Alex aren’t on the same team!” I pointed out.

“Because they both are trackers.” Colin looked at my face and then narrowed an eye. “You did that on purpose.”

I nodded chuckling. “Yes. Guilty.” I grinned.

“That’s not funny!” Colin swiped at me but didn’t make contact.

Ruben handed us two tablets, one for us and the other for the other team. “The hot spots have been highlighted. Stick together. Phones fully charged?” He asked acting and sounding like a unit director.

I knew ours was, but Colin looked to be safe. Colin, Shelly, Alex and I were a team. Chuck, Burke, and Gabriella were a team.

I thought of something, so I asked. “Ruben, are you reporting to anyone?”

Ruben looked surprised. “Certainly. I give Senator Cooke and Grace a daily report.”

I nodded. “And no one else?”

“Why?” Ruben asked.

I shrugged. “Vampires are secretive by nature. The more people know about us, the more the chance of the wrong people finding out. Most people won’t understand or believe it if they saw anything written.”

Ruben nodded. “Senator Cooke is being careful, so is Grace.”

The door opened and in walked Stan. He was smiling, showered, dressed and ready. He clapped his hands and rubbed them together anxiously. “Okay. Let’s do this.”

We all looked at him surprised.

“But, you’re with Mark,” Colin said. “And sound asleep a few hours ago!”

Stan waved that off. “He’s asleep. I’ll check in on him later. He needs to rest, not me.” He shrugged. “I’m your centerman.”

Ruben frowned. “I filled in for you last night. I was prepared to do it again tonight.”

Stan was horrified. “You touched Buddy!?”

Ruben looked confused. “Buddy? Who the hell is Buddy?”

I chuckled. “Buddy is his new best friend,” I explained and pointed to the computer Ruben was standing over.

Ruben looked down and nodded, but then back at Stan. “Are you up for it? I can do it if needed.”

Stan nodded. “No, I’m fine. Mark is in dreamland a while, I’ve got time and I slept enough.”

Ruben nodded. “Okay.” He smiled. “I guess I’ll go home to Carrie.” He referred to his wife. He chuckled and lifted the big cup of coffee he had. “I guess I don’t need this.” He was about to get rid of it.

“NO! I’ll drink it!” Colin said hurrying over and taking the coffee from Ruben.

I shook my head. “He’s an addict.”

Colin sipped with a smiled. “It should be a crime to waste good coffee.” He sighed as he relished the taste.

I watched as Alex was speaking with Gabriella softly, ending the conversation with a kiss. I grinned seeing things were becoming so serious between them. I also noticed that Colin seemed to have at last relaxed about it, too.

We didn’t dredge up any vampires that night but returned at near dawn very tired.

“I’m as tired as I was when fully human,” I said after undressing and sitting on the bed. Colin grinned as he took his shirt off.

Colin nodded. “We used up what little we could store.”

“So, why aren’t we aging?” I asked. “If our muscles ache, why don’t we age? My muscles are asking to rest, don’t the cells die?”

Colin looked at me surprised. “You’re asking me? I’m not the egghead.” He tossed his shirt on a chair and sat to remove his shoes. “Our muscles ache because we use them. In order to work, they need fuel and downtime to rest. Things like hair and fingernails grow, but don’t die. It just keeps on going.” He pulled his pants off and then crawled over the bed to me and pulled me down as he rested on top of me. “Now, do we continue the science discussion, or maybe do something else?” He asked kissing me. My arms came around him and once again I loved his warmth and solidity. His love I could see in his emerald green eyes.

My hand came up to his face as I ran my fingers over his cheek. “You have the most beautiful eyes. Not the faded dull color green, or even bluish green, but the most vibrant emerald gem green. Sharp and expressive.”

Colin grinned. “I’m glad you like them. You’re the one that has to look at them.” He ran his lips over my cheek, kissing tenderly as he went. “I hope I convey how much I love you in them.”

I nodded. “I can see it. I love you, Colin.”

Colin ran a hand down my side. “I know.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It wasn’t too long before the fatigue got to us and we retired for the day, getting the few hours needed and rose again to face and new evening. Face a new evening.

 

We looked at the occasional guest there presently, one of who was Amanda, but she was off somewhere, doing whatever. Whom.  ;-)

 

I knew ours was, but Colin looked to be safe.  Colin, Shelly, Alex and I were a team.  Alex, Chuck, Burke and Gabriella were a team. I don’t think Alex is on the second team, he can’t be two places at once!

 

“Evolve! Now!”

You need to print t-shirts with this slogan! (But I can search for a much better, more interesting font for you to use!)

Link to comment

It appears that the coop of the VUN & FBI is going well. All of the people vampire or human are really starting to merge into one cohesive group, the patrols are going better and everyone's more aware of their surroundings after Marc was attacked. I have a feeling that this group is going to expand before long especially when they get to Charleston. I'm glad that Colin and Devon have become closer after the wedding. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..