Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,380 Words
  • 3,458 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 38. Suspicion

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!!

We did spend time with Willie even after he had the disc inserted. He looked surprised when it was finally in.

“That’s it?” Willie asked from the exam table.

Colin frowned. “What do you mean, that’s it?”

I laughed. “What did you expect?”

Willie sat up, leaning on his elbows. “I don’t know…pain?” He held a hand up. “Not that I’m complaining, but that didn’t hurt at all.”

George laughed as he put the instruments he used away. “That’s the whole point of medicine. To stop the pain. Occasionally there is some pain I have to inflict, but I try to avoid it.”

Willie’s eyes grew. “Yeah? Well, that serum sure as hell hurt.” He rubbed his chest at the memory. “That hurt a lot!”

George smiled nodding. “I said I try to avoid it. I also said there is occasional pain that I have to do. You’ve gotten off easy.” George teased. “Colin and I put up with pain daily for nearly twenty years!”

Willie nodded. “I suppose…vampirism is worse.” He said scratching where the disc was inserted. “It is itching a little.”

“There’s a cream you can use, it will go away.” Colin crossed his arms across his chest. “I’m glad you understand being a vampire is worse.” He shrugged. “But, if it’s pain you want, I can help you out with that.” He held his balled fist up.

“No.” Willie chuckled. “Thank you, I’m good.” He looked at George. “I’m still a vampire though.”

George nodded. “You are. So are we.” George shrugged. “I’m still working on a cure.”

Willie sat up from the bed used. “What would you do for the removal of the shrapnel? Crack my skull open?”

George’s eyebrows rose. “Not anymore.” He opened a cabinet and removed a device…with a long almost wire looking thing, but white plastic and easily bending at the end at the barrel end of a gun. There was a double trigger he pulled a finger pulling them both independently. “This is a device of my own making. You really can’t see it, but there’s a claw at the end.” He pointed to the tip of the little plastic tube. He turned on a monitor and the screen went from black to a lighted image out of focus. The tip of the plastic tube was now glowing with a tiny light. He waved his hand in front of the wire end and you saw something move over the screen. “There’s a tiny camera at the end here that will let me see where I’m going, the light is like a headlight letting me see where I am and I can see the shrapnel and I’ll just grab it and pull it out,” George said as if would be the simplest thing. “I’ll also have a three-dimensional scanner so I’ll be looking at two screens. One will show where I’m going and the other will be the scanner that lets me know I’m heading in the right direction.”

Willie smiled. “A camera? That tiny?”

George nodded. “Practically microscopic.” He touched Willie’s head at a point he thought of going in. “I’ll make a small hole and I’ll snake the probe in.”

“You said there was shrapnel…more than one?”

George nodded. “There are about five pieces that are a good size. All in the same area. I’ll get them out as well.” George sighed sitting on the rolling stool next to Willie. “It will take some time, but I think it’s for the best.”

Willie nodded slowly. “But you can do it.”

George smiled. “Since I started taking the serum, I’ve had time. I went to several schools and got certified in several types of surgery. Including neurosurgery. That AMA card I showed to the police was real.” He went and got what looked like a human brain. I knew it couldn’t be real, but it looked like a real brain. “I’ll do some scans and we can determine the best approach.”

I was looking at Willie. His eyes saw the brain and I saw him immediately jerk back a little and then I watched his pupils get smaller. “Willie,” I said touching Willie’s shoulder. He jerked away from me and looked at the brain. “Willie!” I repeated more urgently.

He was now trying to get away. “No, no…” he said holding his hands up to shield him from seeing the brain.

George put the brain down. “It’s not a real brain, Willie.”

Like before, he rushed to the side of the room and looked for the exit. It was clear he wasn’t thinking, but just trying to flee.

“What are you remembering, Willie?” I asked calmly as I walked toward Willie. “What did you see?”

Willie shook his head and pressed his fists to his temples. “I don’t want to remember!”

I nodded. “But you are remembering,” I said. “Whether you want to or not, you are remembering. The best way to make it stop is to talk about it.”

Willie was crying. “I don’t want to.” He said pitifully.

I got closer. “If you want it to stop, you have to talk. I’m not an authority, but with the other veterans I have, talking helped it stop.”

Willie shook his head. “I don’t want to remember!” He closed his eyes as if doing that would keep him from seeing…whatever he was seeing.

“It’s too late,” I said. “You are remembering.” Slowly I got even closer. I suddenly understood more. “These episodes…you want them to happen.”

Willie looked at me. “What!?”

“After an episode, you don’t remember, do you?” I asked.

Colin came up behind me. “Devon, what are you doing?”

I didn’t look back at Colin but said. “Getting him to face the truth.” I got even closer. “That’s why you went underground, isn’t it? You cut yourself off from everyone. No reminders to make you remember. Having these episodes, you want the episodes to take them away even more. It was more than just because you are a vampire, you stayed there to forget.” I reached out to touch his arm. “This happened when…1916, 17? That was a century ago. You never faced it. It will never stop until you deal with it. Now, what did you see? It was the brain, wasn’t it?”

“Yes!” Willie moaned.

I nodded. “Tell me about it,” I said quietly.

Willie’s hands came to cover his face as his breathing hitched. “It was horrible. We were moving through this village I don't even remember what town. It had been heavily hit by bombs. Our bombs. I went to where…” he cried a little more. “…it was a school. They were children!” He said in this moan. “Children! I did it!!”

“You did?” I said carefully. “You targeted a school?”

“I sent the bombs! I fired them off. I killed them!” Willie said.

“You knew it was a school?” I asked.

“I did it! I set the bomb off! It killed them.” Willie pressed the heel of his hand into his eye. “I went in and saw…” he had agony on his face. “…a little girl. Her head was open, I saw her brain spilled out.” He now cried, but it wasn’t as tortured. “She was maybe six or seven. First or second grade. She should have been playing with dolls or hopscotch.” He said sadly. “I took that away.”

Did he do that? I wondered. Coming even closer, I pulled him into a hug and just held him as he cried.

George ended up giving him something to calm down. Putting him back on the exam table, he drifted off to sleep.

Colin found his voice after witnessing the whole event and hearing what Willie said. “I can’t believe Willie would do something like that.” He said softly.

I shook my head. “I don’t think he did, but he feels responsible.”

George shook his head. “The only danger Willie ever was, was to rats. He didn’t do that.”

I smiled. “I’m almost certain he didn’t, but at least he talked a little. He’s dealing with it some. This will take some time.”

George smiled hugging me one armed. “I think we found our needed counselor.”

I was surprised at what he said. “What? No! I’m not a counselor. I was never trained…”

“Devon…” George smiled. “I’m medicine. Colin knows people and can read them and just knows when to trust and when not to. You have…” he thought. “…the ability to speak to someone and get them to listen. I’ve known Willie fifty or sixty years. He’s never said a thing like this to me.”

Colin nodded. “I’ve known him even longer. He’s never said a thing to me either, but he did to you.” He smiled. “You just instinctively know when to push and back off. Almost every time we’ve had an issue with anyone, you are the one that gets through. Be it Willie, Amanda…even Stan and Mark. That’s your gift to our new society.”

George nodded. “As far as Willie is concerned, you have the military background and have dealt with veterans before. If its education you think you need, you have time to get it. Right now, you’ve done in a few weeks, what hasn’t been done in over a century with Willie.” He patted me on the back. “You might think about it. Personally, I know you’re the man for the job.”

I just wasn’t prepared. There wasn’t anything to say. I looked back at Willie as he was sleeping. Me? A vampire psychologist? George was right about there would be a lot of time to get the education. George was a walking hospital and could do almost anything needed scientifically and medically. Colin knew who to trust, but he was also spectacular with business…that was the ability to know what and who to trust.

A few hours later, Willie was awake and we took him back to the apartment. Colin stayed, but I was wondering how things were with the task force. That job was ongoing and Colin and I hadn’t contributed much in the past week or so.

Entering the Control Room, as it was now called, I saw the team gathered for another evening of searching for vampires.

Mark looked up from looking over Stan’s shoulder at the computer monitor as I came in. His face lit up. “Devon! Good to see you.”

I grinned. “Colin and I have been busy.”

Chuck came over. “We heard. Is everything alright?”

I shrugged. “It’s getting better. Our newest family member is in a…touchy place right now. We can’t really leave him.”

Gabriella walked up with Alex. “Is Willie going to be alright?”

I nodded. “He will if he cooperates.” I smiled. “I think he will, so yes, he’ll be alright.” Shelly was there, Gabriella and she had formed a team in itself. Gabriella loved this new world she lived in. Nothing about her said she was from the 19th Century anymore. She still favored blue in her navy blue pants and shirt. Even Shelly had adopted the look. Chuck was with them on the team. Mark, Alex, and Burke were another team. “Any other new finds?”

Shelly smiled shaking her head. “We may be making a difference. There have been a lot fewer deaths since we began.”

“That’s not saying we’re done.” Chuck cautioned. “But we’ve taken a few off the street. It seems to be paying off.”

I nodded. “Good.”

 

My mother arrived on that Friday afternoon. I greeted her on the roof as she was flown from the airport to VUN. I wasn’t sure what I expected, but seeing her…she didn’t look that happy. I would let her tell me if there was anything wrong, but my gut told me things were…difficult?

I hugged her and we took the elevator down to Colin’s and my apartment floor.

“Before you enter...” I said at the door. “We have a new family member staying with us.”

Mom’s eyebrows rose. “Oh?”

“His name’s Willie. He meant a lot to Colin since the 1920s and now me.”

“I see.” Mom said. “He’s on the serum?”

I nodded. “He had the disc inserted, but…he’s going through some rough spots now. He’s dealing with it, but he may act a little…strangely. He’s a very nice man, but sometimes he loses memories and he can phase out sometimes.”

“Phase out?”

“He’s going through Post Traumatic Stress.”

Mom nodded. “Oh, I see.” She shrugged. “If Colin trusts him, who am I to judge?”

I smiled and opened the door. Inside, Colin rose from sitting on the sofa smiling as he greeted her, asking the usual questions like how her flight was. I heard the door open down the hall and Willie walked in the great room. He was a little subdued since I got him to talk about what he’d seen, but he was dealing with it.

“Hi, Willie.” I greeted but noticed he had on new clothes and had another haircut. Gabriella was good, but he’d had it done professionally this time. “You look like a new man!” He was a very nice looking man.

Willie looked down at what he was wearing and smiled with a nod. “Colin thought I needed to.”

I waved to my mother. “Willie, this is my mother, Betty McGee. Mom, this is Willie.” I said. “I don’t know your last name.”

Willie chuckled. “I don’t remember what it was. I’ve been just Willie for so long.” He came forward extending his hand to my mother. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. McGee. You raised a good man.” Willie said looking at me with a smile.

My mother smiled, shaking his hand. “I think he is.”

I was hoping…well…Willie was shy, I hoped introducing someone that was fully human…I don’t know. Physically, they looked about the same age and I hoped Willie meeting her would bring him out more. Mom was attractive and had her figure and long dark auburn hair. She was seeing David Braun, but I just hoped that Willie would respond to her more and make him more at ease. She was my family and he was Colin’s family, it made sense to introduce them so we would become one family. We visited a while before Colin ordered dinner again from Vamps. Gabriella and Alex came for dinner as well. Our family was getting bigger.

The next morning, I got up to the smell of cooking. I smiled as I got up, finding Mom in the kitchen making breakfast.

“I know.” Mom smiled knowing what I’d say. “I’m making Colin plenty. Does Willie have the same love of food?”

I chuckled. “He likes it, but Colin loves it; a little more than most men or vampire, but not as much as Colin. Gabriella told me he was always that way even before he was turned.” I hugged her quickly. “It’s nice to have you here. I felt guilty leaving you alone in Charleston.”

Mom smiled. “You have a new role in the world, but a very important one. I understand why you’re doing what you are.”

I dared to ask. “Is everything okay with you?”

Mom gave a sad smile. “I keep busy. I’m still showing property and real estate. I do volunteer work…”

“And David?”

That she gave a sad smile. “I don’t know.” She admitted as she prepared eggs to serve with her pancakes.

“What don’t you know?” I asked.

She sighed. “He’s very attentive when he’s with me, but…there are times I think he should be dating you and Colin.”

That was surprising. “What? Why do you say that?”

“Well, more often than not, he’s asking me about the two of you.” Mom explained. “How you met and what is it you do. He knows Colin’s wealthy, but doesn’t seem interesting in his money, more about the two of you personally.”

“Really?” My caution was now coming up in my head more. “What did you tell him we did?”

She shrugged. “What can I say? That you’re both vampires and looking for other vampires?” She shook her head. “I merely told him that Colin was working with a friend and had a good business up here.”

“What was his store in Atlanta?”

She shook her head again. “That’s just it. I don’t know. He mentioned that it was named after him and that he had five stores in the Atlanta area.” She looked at me frustrated. “He comes and goes. He’s in Charleston, but I never know the hotel. He calls and we meet somewhere…”

I nodded. “Can I do a check on him?”

Mom looked at me. “I always taught you. When a person is being evasive, he has something to hide.” She grimaced. “He’s hiding something.” She seemed to make a decision. “I like him, but I’m not trusting yet. If you can check on him.”

“His name is David Braun,” I said to be sure.

She nodded. “David C. Braun. He often uses a credit card and I saw that. I saw the credit card was for a bank in Atlanta, Fidelity Bank, Peachtree Center.”

I nodded. “I’ll get my FBI contacts to check him out.”

Mom nodded. “I hate doing this, but I think he should be.”

I smiled. “Well, if the FBI can’t tell us, who can?”

Mom nodded. “I hope he is what he says…” she looked at me sadly. “…but being uncertain?”

“We’ll find out.”

 

Later I asked Colin about David. “What did you feel about David Braun?” I asked as we sat on the couch.

Colin’s eyebrows rose. “Not much. The one time we met him, he wasn’t that forthcoming. I neither trust him nor distrust him. Why?” I told him what my mother had said making his eyebrows come together puzzled. He turned more looking at me. “This is what your mother said? She’s not trusting him?”

“She’s suspicious,” I admitted. “I was going to ask Stan or someone to do a search about David.”

Colin nodded. “I think we need to.”

 

Coming to the Control Room, it was in the middle of the afternoon I hoped there would be someone. I grinned as Mark bent over and was again kissing Stan who was sitting at the computer. Only this time, Stan didn’t try to break away from Mark when he saw me.

I came in and sat near them. “I take it things are good with you two.”

Stan was turning a little pink again. “Yes, it’s going very well.”

“We moved on your floor!” Mark said happily.

I nodded. “I wondered if that was you. I saw the boxes in the hall.”

“That will be taken care of.” Stan assured quickly. “I swear.”

“I don’t care about that.” I laughed. “Moving is moving. I’m just glad you’re happy.”

Mark nodded standing up straight but kept his hand on Stan. “Very.”

I sighed. “Now, I need a huge favor.”

Stan was puzzled but immediately nodded. “Anything we can do.”

I gave them what I knew. “If he’s not what he seems, we need to know that. I have a feeling he isn’t.”

Mark frowned. “But he’s not a vampire.”

I shook my head. “Colin and I would have known that. We would have sensed he was. He’s human. He could be like that rogue agent found with Burke, but I don’t think so.”

Stan nodded and immediately typed on the recessed keyboard quickly. His eyes widened. “I see an account with Fidelity Bank…Peachtree Center, but he’s not from Atlanta.”

“He’s not?” I was now very suspicious.

“No, the address at the bank says he’s from Charleston,” Stan said simply.

Now, nothing made sense. “Charleston? It’s a big city, or at least Charleston thinks it is. Why would he say he’s from Atlanta? Why the stores? Is there a business for him?”

Stan gave a shrug and began typing again. “Tying in with the computer at the FBI, there’s nothing that Buddy and I can’t find out.” He chuckled patting Buddy like it was a good dog but then frowned. “No. There are no businesses by that name.” He hit another couple of keys again. “That name isn’t coming up on any data files.”

“Meaning?” I asked.

“Meaning David C. Braun may not exist,” Mark said.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 3
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love this chapter...

 

Always felt Devon had the savvy to help others ... worried about his mother though. If this David is connected to a nest of vampires then Colin and Devon may be in danger as well.

 

Absolutely stunning writing, love this new world you are creating. I write, but mine is a garble compared with this masterpiece. This is my daily dose of serum that I have to take. I love it !!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The only danger Willie was to anything were the rats. Very awkward phrasing. Maybe: Willie was only dangerous to rats. Or: The only thing Willie was dangerous to was rats.

 

David always seemed a little off to me. I think fixing Betty up with Willie might be a good thing for both of them. And it fits your style…  ;-)

Link to comment

Oi! A nonexistent David!!!! They better be very careful cause this spells trouble!!😱

 

Love this story very much 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've got an idea as to who David is but I'm not telling (said in a 4 year old sing song voice :whistle:).  And I agree with Droughtquake...Betty and Wille.. yeah, good idea :hug:This story keeps getting better and better and all the twists, just keep my interest and enjoyment peaked. :yes:  By the way...where's Burke?  Is he still there? Did he go back to the caves? And what happened to the caves and the people there? Did you tell us and I'm now drawing a blank? :facepalm:Oh well, I've been drawing blanks all day at work, so why stop now? :rofl:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, R. Eric said:

Don't read ahead.  There's a plan.  I promise.

The FBI is not the only government Intelligence Agency operating in the US…

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

The FBI is not the only government Intelligence Agency operating in the US…

True dat!!!   CIA, NSA, NCIS :yes: and any other alphabet agency....even the MIB (Men in Black). Who knows?  But Buddy can find out anything. :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well it looks like Willie's going to be able to get help with the memories of the war and the horrors that he saw. Then Betty comes to the VUN as planned with suspicions of the man she's been seeing a bit. Her suspicions are that she senses something isn't right and that he's hiding something, Devon asked his friends in the FBI if they could run a check on him. What they find out is that he may not be who he says he is. He's supposedly a businessman from Atlanta, but the bank he has been using while with Betty shows a Charleston address. It'll be interesting to see what they actually find out about him and whether or not he'll be brought to Manhattan and put in an interigation room. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..