Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,820 Words
  • 10,471 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 16. The Holidays at Wentworth Manor

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!

Things were now really starting to get a little chaotic. The manor house was spectacular, but it was the wiring that was the hard part. All these computers and screens required special wiring and a crew of men worked feverishly to get it done. We chose the second weekend in June the following year to marry and Gabriella and Mom were told it was to be over the top. Hell, it had to be, this house was over the top!

The power was on and now it was well lit and shone like…I don’t know. It gleamed! Furniture was being brought from storage and from the house on Tradd Street. Mom and Gabriella had some help from some professional designers to help bring it all together. There were other constructions going on that was not the house. He was having what looked like a carriage house, but it was really a garage below above were two apartments. Those were for the house manager and spouse and the other for the chauffeur/mechanic. One had two bedrooms and the other a single bedroom, but they were nice. Off the house property and outside the wall Colin was having…well, they sort of looked like a dormitory or barracks. Not the military style where it’s one room and rows of bunk beds, but a room that was an efficiency apartment with a sink, refrigerator and microwave and a bathroom the occupant shared with another efficiency on the other side. These rooms were stacked and in a row like a motel. For security! Another building was being built that would house the security office with computers and monitors to watch the grounds. And a gate. One of those slow opening wrought iron ones that allowed cars in and out, but practically impregnable.

Now it was really hitting me. We were going to have staff! Quite a few staff. The scale of this was a bit much for me. Hell! The house was done in half the projected time. Colin hired enough men to do that. We also hired some good foremen to oversee it was done in a timely manner. I understood Colin really wanted to bring Wentworth Manor to completion and he pushed a little. He paid them to do that and I looked at the house and it was well done. Fine tuning was being done inside.

It was October again and I was going to be thirty. We had missed each other’s birthday the year before and I did have something planned for Colin. I had been diagnosed venom free after months of being on the serum and George had not wanted to take any chance. I had all my blood purged and replaced a few times. I was serum-free now. Colin had not sensed anyone around, but that didn’t mean they weren’t watching us. It was something I never forgot.

We stayed one evening when the workers left for the day and Colin and I were going to spend our first night in the house.

“George has men coming next week for security.” He told me as we strolled through the center of the house on the first floor.

I shook my head. “I knew we’d need security, but are they…like you?”

Colin shook his head. “They are one hundred percent human, but they’re former military and they all know what I am. They either know someone that is like me or that they may have lost someone to other vampires and want to fight. They are employed by Holms Laboratories.” He cocked his head as he looked at me. “This has been a lot for you, hasn’t it?”

I shrugged with a frown. “It has been…intense,” I admitted. “I’ve never forgotten that there is someone or something else out there. Not knowing who or what that is…how can we defend ourselves against an unknown?”

Colin nodded as he took my hand as we approached the grand stairs up. “If they’re human, the men will be able to defeat them hopefully. There are motion detectors and scanning available to see if it is human or animal. If they are vampires…” he smiled. “We have something for that.” He pointed to the lights. “Remember the sun gun? George told you about it with Brett?”

I nodded.

“They can be accessed on all the remotes and one press of a button, those lights and even lights outside will turn the house and grounds into the land of the midnight sun. Daylight at night. They’ll burn.”

I ventured a possibility. “What if they don’t? Suppose they, like you, have found a way to roam around in the daytime?”

Colin nodded. “And suppose they aren’t all bad?”

I was surprised at that. “You think they might be friendly?”

Colin gave a shrugging nod and we sat on the stairs that rose from the first floor up. “Think about it. If these other vampires exist, would they all be bad? They could be, but like anyone, they will be good and bad. If they made Brett what he became, then why was Brett not included in their group? What was it about Brett they didn’t want?”

I chuckled. “Because he was crazy?”

Colin chuckled with me. “He was bat shit crazy. They should have sensed that and not wanted him in their numbers.” He smiled at me. “If the grounds are breached, this house becomes a safe house. The windows can’t be broken, the air can be cut off and recirculated independently. No gas or bomb can break the glass or into the house. If necessary each room can become a safe room. Anyone getting through all the precautions will be recorded and security here and at Holms Laboratories will be notified. Everything possible is being done.” He wrapped his arm around me. “We’ll be fine. No one will hurt you, me, Gabriella or your mother. I promise.” Then he brightened. “Now, if you’ll come with me?” He offered his hand to me. “I have something for you.”

“Haven’t you done enough?” I grinned taking his hand and rising beside him.

He shook his head. “No.” He said simply with a smile. We walked outside and the path to the carriage house. When we got to the door he opened it and gave a sweeping motion to a vehicle. “Happy Birthday.”

I wasn’t ready for this! Before us, sat…well…it was an Aston Martin Vanquish. Silvery grey and a convertible! A Vanquish S! It was so…shiny! I staggered a little. “Colin!” Then I walked toward the car. I was almost afraid to touch it. “Why? We have cars. You’ve given me a lot! Hell! The house alone is an incredible gift.”

Colin was getting pleasure from my reaction as he smiled even bigger. “Yes, the house is a gift to all of us. This is my gift…to you. Only to you.”

I shook my head. “Okay, I’m asking. I didn’t want to, but…how can we afford all this? The Manor had to have cost several hundred million, now this! Where is the money coming from?”

Colin chuckled as he walked over. “We have several billion. In several bank accounts both domestic and foreign. Swiss Banks Accounts are a few. Holms Laboratories is very lucrative. We have patents on many things and a lot of the medical. George was working even before he started taking the serum. I was working for years before the serum. I made a lot of money for several decades before I got free from the vampire’s venom.” He chuckled as he wrapped his arms around me. “There was a lot of money made from discoveries that George made dealing with blood disorders from cancer to other problems. I made those discoveries lucrative, even if this nation were to collapse financially, we would be fine.”

I nodded. “Okay, so all this isn’t going to collapse tomorrow.” I smiled. “The stories about vampire fortunes isn’t fiction.”

“Not this vampire.” Colin smiled kissing me. “I promise. Anything you need or want is not too much. The fact is, you love ME. Not all this, but you love me. In the past, there were those that tried to befriend me and even said they loved me. Like that man in the sixties. The one I told you about who fell in love with the tortured vampire. It was because I was a vampire that drew his attention. Not you. You love me despite me being a vampire. I know you’d love me if I were dirt poor, but I’m not. If I want to spoil you, let me.”

I nodded kissing him. “I do love you, Colin. More than I thought possible for anyone to love anyone. This is a whole new life for me. I worry about you and me.”

Colin nodded embracing me. “I know. We’re doing all we can to deal with these problems.” He chuckled. “And, I think we need to invite Susan Hendricks to see this.”

I smiled. “I thought of that. You know what I’d like?”

“What?”

“How about a showing right before Christmas. We’ll have the house decorated by then and ready to show. This year, we’ll invite all those who came to last year’s party and new friends for a real pre-Civil War Christmas party.”

He nodded with a smile. “We will be attracting their attention.”

“Now,” I said taking his hand and led him back to the house. “I’ll drive the car back to Tradd Street, but since you did this. I’ll give you your present early.”

“But I don’t need anything.”

I shook my head. “That’s not true. I think I have it.” I took him into the dining room. I picked up that room’s handheld tablet remote and did the search for what I’d had done. No one would have accidentally found it and I had it password protected if they did. Hitting the pad, selecting the correct icon, I motioned to the large picture over the mantle. The large painting, which was nice, shimmered and there stood a life-sized image of Colin, but it was dated, as in he was wearing period clothes of a man in the mid-19th century. A gentleman standing proud with the background of him in front of a fireplace that was in this house. As promised, it looked like an oil painting. He was handsome and looked just as he does, dark hair and it was in the fashion of the period, a little longer in length than now, but not long at all. He had a pose where he stood holding a pocket watch and looked at the painter with a friendly, patient look. He looked just as fit and trim as he was now.

Colin’s mouth dropped open when he saw it. “How…when…” he sputtered. “You did this!?”

I nodded. “You are the Manor’s master. You are a Wentworth. This is our house, yes, but this was your house long before I was even born! I wanted something that said that. I know how old you are. I know who you are and I know what you are and I don’t care. You’re an amazing man, be you forty or two hundred. This is you. We’ll see this and know; this house was and will be…yours.” I pressed some more buttons. “Now the image is locked in. We can change it to something else if needed, but your image is defaulted. That picture will remain in memory and be shown…here.”

I watched as tears were forming in his eyes as he walked slowly closer to the picture, having to look up. It was tilted as many pictures were to make it easier to be seen from the floor. “But…it looks…” he waved at the picture. “I had a suit just like that!”

I chuckled nodding. “The internet does more than look for porn.” I watched as he was gazing again at the picture. “Now, I can say to you…really…Welcome home, Colin Wentworth.”

Now his tears were falling freely, unchecked as he continued to gaze. It was a few minutes before he turned to me grabbing me in a hug. “Thank you, Devon. If I didn’t love you enough before, I do now even more.” He said kissing me deeper.

I pushed him back a little, but not breaking contact. “I’m not done.” I chuckled.

“There’s more!?”

I nodded as I led him across the hall to the library/music room. I pointed again the large portrait over the mantel. Doing the same, a life-sized image of Gabriella appeared. Hers was elegant, also the period where the dress was fuller and flowed in the fashion of that period, a daring off the shoulder dress with a plunging neckline and it was blue! Under the dress, she wore a light blue blouse that came up to her pretty neck and a single cameo at the top button below the neck. Her hair done up in the period and held with blue ribbons. Even today, she was breathtaking. “Another true Wentworth. The real lady of this house.” I grinned as he now was not holding anything back.

“This…is…so unbelievably wonderful!”

I nodded. “That was my aim! You are Colin Wentworth.”

In his eyes, I saw a look I knew well. “Let’s go.” He said grabbing my hand and he led me to the stairs. “I want you so badly right now.”

Upstairs in our bedroom, he stripped himself and me and he made love to me so slowly and gently, but full of love and passion, telling me over and over that he loved me. I didn’t doubt it one bit.

It was afterward, I grinned in the afterglow, feeling Colin’s hand run over me lovingly as he gazed at me. A lot of furniture was still in their protective covers and hadn’t been placed yet, but the bed had been made and I ran my hand over the mattress and sheet. “This is a very comfortable bed.”

Colin chuckled. “That’s why we bought it.”

I nodded. “Knowing and experiencing are two different things. I knew it was comfortable, now I KNOW it’s comfortable.”

“We have got a few more rooms to christen.” Colin chuckled.

I looked up in the corners of the room where I knew there were cameras. “We need to remember to turn those off when we do.”

Colin laughed. “Even if we don’t, what will they see? Two humans loving each other?”

“I’d rather they didn’t. Okay?”

Colin laughed kissing me again.

 

The week was over and men arrived that were to be our security. There were dozens of men and women. They were all in great shape and obviously military at one time. They had duties assigned among which were patrolling the area as well as at the gate.

Mom and Gabriella came to the house and we began to officially move in. The furniture was still being placed and arranged, but that was more fine-tuning. Various decorative plants were added and now there was staff arriving that would keep house and even to cook! A house manager was hired and it was her job to keep up with what was done and needed to be done and seeing that it was done. All were bonded and we were assured of loyalty. Each signed nondisclosure contracts, though, with the house and ground staff, they were local and didn’t need to know what we were cautious of. Or who or what Colin and Gabriella really were. What was interesting was all the attention what people saw was getting us. Two men, wealthy and…they said it, not me…good looking, were marrying and built this house to live in as a gay couple. We were open and not hiding anything. Most were puzzled as we, according to them, had no tells! Other than people would see we were in love and kiss and all but making love to each other. We were just two men who fell in love.

And there was other attention we hadn’t counted on but should have. The IRS. They just knew Colin had done something illegal and was holding back…something. Repeatedly they demanded an audit. Which Colin didn’t refuse. What the IRS didn’t count on, as we had legal representation. A lawyer who was a literal bloodsucker. He’s been turned back in the sixties and practiced law for decades! Questions about Colin’s holdings he cut off telling him any foreign holdings were none of their business legally. This went on a few weeks, but they got nothing. Colin’s records were open and he disclosed all that was there. The IRS couldn’t win. There were inquiries by government agencies like the FBI, NSA, and others. They repeatedly hit virtual brick walls. Holms Laboratories had a very, very good computer and was said to be able to hack into any computer and change records. Those records were authentic when looked at.

We had gained national attention and they wanted more interviews, which we told Susan Hendricks, this was her opportunity to gain her standing as a reporter. She was thrilled! She would have the first interview and view of us and Wentworth Manor and she was the one allowed to film and show it!

Wentworth Manor was our home, but it was a fortress! Interviews with some of the local neighbors, they told that since we moved in, there was a lot of traffic in and out, but were surprised at the construction of this…mansion! And there were some that thought they would just drive out to see what was going on, but disappointed when armed guards told them to leave, and if they refused, were escorted off the island. Another booth was added to the foot of the bridge, not allowing traffic even on the island. The TV crew was allowed, with an escort.

It was Thanksgiving again and Mom, Gabriella, Colin and I had said good-bye to the house on Tradd Street, we had our first Thanksgiving at Wentworth Manor.

In the family dinette, we shared a nice meal. Of course, Colin ate a lot! But I was good (I am hesitant to admit it, fearing reprisals) I was not a fan of turkey. Now ham!! Then we were talking! We had both. The ham was wonderful, honey glazed and browned crisp on the outside, but tender and juicy inside!

Mom at the end of the meal was crying.

“Mom?” I asked taking her hand. “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head. “Not one thing.” She smiled, but her tears were still coming. “In our family in the past, we told what we were grateful for at Thanksgiving.” She looked at Colin. “When I showed you this…” she waved at the house and area. “…this was only the summer before last and it was nothing but ruins. You have not only brought it back, but it is wonderful. But what I’m grateful for…is your love of Devon. If I ever doubted, which I never really did, I can’t now. You have welcomed and accepted him, expecting nothing. But he loves you and I love you because of that love for him. I was frightened when I found out about what you were in the past. I feared Devon would be one, too. You did everything you could to be sure he didn’t become a vampire. I hope that George can cure you, but if not. I know you’ll love and protect him as long as he’s alive.”

Colin smiled to Gabriella. “I most certainly will.”

“And he will protect you.” Mom said as she looked at Gabriella. “When I first met you, Gabriella, I was afraid that you were more than just his cousin. I viewed you at first as a threat, but I’ve gotten to know you and see you as his daughter. I feel as if you are my daughter, too. I hope you don’t mind.”

Gabriella smiled shaking her head. “Of course, I don’t. I’ve not had a mother for a century. A mother’s love is very comforting and warm.”

“You’re both wonderful people.” Mom said. “I value your friendship and that you see me like family. Thank you.”

Colin smiled as he squeezed my hand. “I’d say you’re welcome, but loving Devon and including you is just going to happen, but you’re welcome.” He put down his napkin. “I’m going to show you, Gabriella, what your other father has done for us.” He rose motioning for her to follow.

She got up, along with mother and walked into the main dining room. He picked up the remote and hit the button. The image of Colin appeared.

Gabriella looked stunned. “Daddy! It’s you!” She marveled pointing at the image. “I remember a suit like that…before!”

Colin nodded. “Yes! I do, too.” He motioned for her to follow and took her to the library/music room and hit another button. The image of Gabriella appeared.

Gabriella’s mouth fell as Colin’s had. “I never…how?”

I shrugged. “Computers these days can do almost anything. I hope you like it.”

Gabriella came over grabbing me in a hug. “I do! Oh, my God! This is wonderful.”

I chuckled. “Even your father doesn’t know about this.” I took the remote and hit another button. The dress she wore changed to a modern gown of blue. Sleek and stunning with a diamond necklace and earrings, she stood proud and regal. “In case you think I forgot, you are now a modern Wentworth. But you are an original Wentworth and created here.” I waved back at the other picture, hit another button and Colin’s suit became a modern tuxedo. “So are you, Colin.”

“They look like paintings!” Colin said in awe.

“They’re supposed to.” I replied. “That’s the beauty of modern science.”

Colin came up behind me and whispered so only I heard. “You know what I want to do to you, right?”

I chuckled. “You’ll just have to wait,” I said back to which I got a grunt of frustration. “You’ll be okay until later.”

 

We began to decorate for Christmas. Nothing was left untouched. There was the green garland of holly and red ribbons. Lights hung and in various places in hurricane glass covers where the fat red candles were placed with red holly berries and green around the glass. Trees in every room were live and would be alive after the Holiday. Dug up roots and all, placed in containers which were covered with decorative covers to hide the containers. Even the ballroom, which was going to be used for the first time was decorated fully with trees all lit and festive. It wasn’t too much, it was elegant and beautiful.

When Susan Hendricks came to do the personal interview with both of us, she did what Gabriella, mother and I did when they entered the house. Stood at the center and did that little, slow spin as she looked at all of what was there.

“This is…impossible!” She said in a whisper. “This wasn’t here!”

Colin chuckled. “It was, but in ruins. I just…brought it back.” He stated simply and shrugged.

“With the help of about a thousand men and women,” I added.

Colin chuckled again. “Yes, don’t forget them.”

“This…” she waved at the house. “…is beautiful!” Then she turned to her cameraman who was also staring at the house and seemed to forget why he was here. “Well, shoot this! I’ll take out what’s not needed in editing!”

 

Hiring more to serve and help with the party, all the guests from the other Christmas party came and others who were carefully screened before allowing them on the grounds. Colin and I had even gotten tuxedos specifically for this occasion. The tuxedos were black, but the vests shown underneath showed the season, mine was Christmas red and Colin’s was Christmas green and completed with tiny poinsettias of red on our lapels. Again, Gabriella had a gown of Christmas green and Mom’s was Christmas red with red poinsettia broaches of real gems of ruby and emeralds. Even George came! Only I was not prepared for who his date was. He came in the room, holding the hand of a very handsome blond man! I did my best not to look shocked. Like Colin and me, there were no tells! Was he gay? Or had he just lived so long it no longer mattered what the gender was?

He grinned at me pulling his date over. “Meet David Davenport. He’s my date.”

He was a good-looking man! For a blond. They didn’t usually attract me. David smiled at me as he shook my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Devon. I’ve heard quite a lot about the man that survived.”

“You’re a vampire?” I asked stunned.

He shook his head. “I was saved by George here from becoming one before he got the chance to make me one.” He smiled putting an arm around George. “At first I was grateful, it took a while to convince him I was in love.”

Colin shook his hand, too. “Well, vampires are stubborn.”

 

In the ballroom, we had a very large screen set up so everyone could see Ms. Hendricks’ broadcast. At the appointed time, lights dimmed and everyone turned as Susan Hendricks voice came over a black screen.

“Welcome to one of the greatest moments in Charleston history. A former plantation house that is now, in my opinion, the greatest rebuilding of a structure ever done. This is not the historic home, but elements of the former home have been added to this modern house. This, possibly the grandest structure in the South and even the nation. Welcome to Christmas at the Wentworth Manor Estates!” Now the black was replaced with a shot of the front gate with the giant W in the iron as it slid open lazily. The camera showed the avenue of oaks as it came to the front and all the brick outside, modern brick made to look old, spoke of the great effort to keep it looking like the old structure. In front, surrounding a fountain that sprayed water in the air was a paved drive. The camera showed the entrance and chandelier and all the poinsettias that adorned the front, the lights, and garland. “In a few short months, little more than a year, ruins have been restored for this amazing structure.” Now elegant Christmas music played softly and delicately as the camera showed other parts of the house and what was inside from Gabriella’s blue room to Mom’s preference of roses in her pink room with the white trim and pink carpet and roses throughout the room in vases and on the walls on the wallpaper. Mine and Colin’s room with our large four poster bed and living area with plush suede sofa and coffee table in front of the fireplace that was lit and burned merrily, the large oak desk with the computer on it, but it was clearly a man’s room with the large heavy furniture that had been in the basement below and new. All the older furniture had been fixed and refinished and gleamed. It took a few minutes to show it all. “And now, the owners of this grand estate. Colin Wentworth and his fiancé, Devon McGee.” The camera showed us together dressed, but not in our tuxedos as it was done earlier. “This is incredible!”

Colin grinned nodding. “I agree.”

“And so fast!” Susan said in amazement. “You must have really been motivated to get it done so quickly.”

Colin shrugged. “Well, Devon agreed to marry me here, so I got it done so we can do that.”

I poked him in the side making him yelp. “You did not! You were doing it anyway.”

“Yes, but I wanted it done faster so we could marry faster!” Colin put his arm around me kissing me without a worry it would offend.

Susan went over this history and family of the past, which Colin answered with knowledge. He had been there, so he knew, but the viewers didn’t know that. “But you’ll be married here.”

Colin nodded. “It was a tradition in the past. Every Wentworth was married here. The original Colin Wentworth’s parents and grandparents, his daughter, were all married here and now we will follow that tradition.” He looked at the camera. “I am different, I admit. So, is Devon.” But I read in what he was saying. The difference wasn’t that we were gay. He said it to those that may or may not know he was a vampire and that I had not been turned after a bite. “All questions will be answered. All we want…” he said pulling me closer. “…is to live our lives and be happy.”

Susan did her little turn on camera. “In all this!? Who won’t be?”

Now we waited to see if I was the only one that got Colin’s message.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Okay a bat shit crazy vampire and a bloodsucking lawyer. Love them!!! Charleston is a wonderful place, I've only been once but fell in love with it, but this manor had to be the most beautiful place in the state. The I've that Devon keeps showing is amazing. Aston Martins have always been a favorite of mine. I am loving the story more men more each chapter

  • Like 1
Link to comment

One of those slow opening rod iron ones that allowed cars in and out, but practically impregnable. Wrought iron.

 

They either know someone that is like me that they may have lost someone to other vampires and want to fight. …know someone like me or they may…

 

McGee. Devon McGee. Nah. Somehow my brain is mixing up 007 with NCIS and I’m getting good-looking nerd instead of sexy lady-killler. (Sorry ‘Devon.’)  ;-)

Link to comment

They could be all!  McGee was sexy in NCIS, okay I had a thing for Michael Weatherly, but McGee was fine!  Actually, when he got too skinny he lost my interest.  I though he and Tony made a great couple!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 Ok!.... There's one thing confusing me. I know they were able to keep Devon from being turned. They cycled his blood a few times. Does this mean he will still have a normal life cycle. 

 I love the blood sucking lawyer reference. I have read 3 stories on here this week with main character's being billionaires. Now I'm sure I'm reading gay FICTION! LOL! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You're suppose to wonder about the life cycle for Devon.  And romantic billionaires is the heart of gay fiction.  That's why they're Fairie Tales.  Not Fairy Tales, but tales for us fairies!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A blood sucking lawyer who's actually a blood sucking vampire!?!?! Hilarious!  And he managed to thwart the IRS, FBI and all the other nosy alphabet agencies was so funny.  I truly adore this story.  And the comments and your replies had me laughing so hard.  I'm with you about McGee on NCIS. When he lost weight, he just did hold the same appeal as he did when he was heavier. Still cute but kinda gaunt. I too had noticed that a lot of gay stories have billionaires in them.  I love those kind of stories because it's like Cinderfella finding his prince. :heart:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..