Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,481 Words
  • 7,710 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 1. Colin Wentworth

It was a hot day. People complained about the coldness of the north, or mountains, but I preferred it to the hot sweltering heat of the south. I told almost everyone I was born in the wrong part of the world. I was a lousy Southerner. I hated grits or rice. Don’t offer me any greens, collard or mustard or whatever. I didn’t like nearly any beans, lima, butter or any other bean. We here in South Carolina seemed to never miss one of these items every day of the week. So, I sat in my little Ford Fusion with the air conditioning on full blast in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nothing but what had to have been fields for crops that the trees that were around was trying to take back. And I mean nowhere. There was nothing around! The nearest sort of town was miles away. Let me explain. There were many islands on the coast. James Island, Johns Island, Kiawah Island, Seabrook Island and more. Now I didn’t know what this island was. It was below Kiawah, Seabrook, and Edisto but above Huntington. That doesn’t help much, does it? Needless to say, I needed a job. My mother had come home the other day ranting that she’s made a big sale! She sold real estate and said she sold a property she didn’t even really know about. In the millions, she told me.

Property like this was usually sold to developers who built these great resorts or communities. The problem with this one was not a lot of beach. It was a little inland, the Harbor River ran next to it, so not many developers would pick it to build on, but Mom said the man she showed it to hardly even looked at it and seemed to know the island before he even got out of the car. In the office he’d asked if someone knew the area and would help him. My mother immediately thought of me. Why? I had just returned from nearly eight years in the Air Force. I had been a medic handling all kinds of injuries to men who also served in the Middle East. I was now twenty-eight and I did know the area.

“What does he need help with, Mom?” I asked.

She shook her head of auburn hair. “The property had the ruins of a house on it. It may have been burned during the Civil War. He’ll need contacts with construction crews and things like that.” Mom smiled. “And you would know where to look and who was good at doing whatever he needs.”

“But I don’t know that much about construction or things like that.”

Mom frowned. “Devon McGee, you’re smart and you need a job.” She shrugged. “If you can’t, you’ll know who to refer to Mr. Wentworth.”

Wentworth was a name everyone in Charleston knew. There was even a major street in historic downtown named Wentworth. There was a mansion downtown that was now a hotel and pretty ritzy. “Related to Charleston’s Wentworths?”

Mom shrugged. “His driver’s license says New York, but he did have a slight Southern accent. Not one of those real country ones, more of a softer, downtown sort of accent. You’ll see.” She handed me a paper with directions. “I said you’d meet him at ten in the morning. It's a little drive, but nice. Don’t be late.”

I took the paper she handed me. “I’m never late.” And that was true. My late father had instilled on me it was important you were never late or you prove yourself untrustworthy. I normally arrived fifteen to twenty minutes early, sometimes more. So, I waited for this man, who I have to say Mom was a little charmed about. I watched as heat just made the air shimmer around me. My car said it was 95 outside, but I knew the heat index made it feel much hotter.

It was about five to ten minutes before ten o’clock when I saw a car pull up behind me. Yep, he had money because what he drove was not a simple Chevy. It was a Mercedes something. The lone driver opened the door and got out. I got out too to greet the man.

“Devon McGee?” The man asked me.

I nodded. “If you’re Colin Wentworth I am,” I said extending my hand to him.

“I am.” The man nodded shaking my hand.

This Colin was puzzling. He looked like a young forty-something or a mature thirty something. He was fit and big! He had to be over six feet and a few inches and trim. A powerful chest and he was tan. Dark brown…almost black hair and green eyes and not just a faint green, but emerald green. He was a very handsome man and I could see why my mother, who was just about fifty now was a little smitten. I favored my father having the black hair and brown eyes at five feet and ten inches. Colin’s hair was cut well and I could tell if he didn’t keep it cut, it would curl. I still had the cut of the military. The other thing was his eyes. They were pretty, but they looked…old. Much older than even forty-something, which I wasn’t sure he was that old, but his eyes said otherwise. Dressed casually…sort of. The pants weren’t jeans, but not khaki either. Beige and a green sports pull over. Polo?

“Your mother said you could help.” Colin said. “You were raised here and know the area.”

I nodded. “I was. I served overseas a lot while in the military, but I know the area pretty well.”

Colin nodded. “Have you seen the house?” He jutted his head toward the path in the trees beyond.

I shook my head. “I waited for you. I’d like to know what you want and see the place with you.” I looked through the trees. “To be honest, I didn’t even know there was a house here.”

Colin nodded scratching his left ear. “Well, there’s not much left. There are mostly ruins, but I plan to restore my ancestral home.”

“So, you’re related to Frederick Wentworth.” I smiled.

Colin gave a shrugging nod. “Distantly perhaps. My side of the family left here right before the Civil War, but it’s wasted land if I don’t bring it back. That’s just what I want to do.” He waved toward the opening in the trees. “I’ll show you around.” He got back in his car and started it.

Once we were in the trees, it did get a little cooler, but not much. We got toward some overgrown ruins. Someone in the past thought Kudzu was a great plant to bring here. Wrong! That Asian plant seemed to overgrow everything choking everything else out. It needed light and where the house had been there was more light and that plant had overgrown what remained of the house. I could see it had been a traditional Southern Plantation house. Columns in the front, but a lot of the surrounding house had fallen in. Watching Colin, I saw…sorrow? His eyes told me seeing the house like this was hurting him. Like it had happened to him personally.

“We’ll have to get rid of this growth.” He pointed at the Kudzu. “And of course, we’ll have to clear a lot of the area so work trucks can come in.” He looked at the porch and then pushed on the front door, it didn’t matter if it was locked, we could go in a few feet away through the wall! Once inside, I saw a floor covered with tree limbs, leaves, and other things. The feel under my shoe was hard, kicking away debris I saw a hard, stone floor. Marble? The entrance may have been grand at one time, but all that was left were some deteriorated walls, a gaping hole above, the remains of stairs that had taken you to the second floor, but there was very little of the second floor and much of it had collapsed due to weather and exposure.

“I bet this place was amazing once,” I said softly as I looked around.

Colin turned to me, but he smiled a little. “You can see that?” He nodded. “It was.” And then he hurried on. “I hear it was.” He looked at me firmly. “I want it completely restored. If we have to clear it all away to start over, fine, but it will be rebuilt.”

I nodded. “That could be expensive.”

“But worth it.” Colin pointed out. “This sort of building should never had died like this.” He looked again at me. “And it did die. Or rather it was killed. Now, I’m determined to bring her back. Can you help me with that?”

Immediately I thought of a couple of people that had businesses that did just this sort of work. “I can.”

Colin nodded satisfied. “We should start as soon as possible.” He started to walk further into the ruins of the house. I followed as I wanted to see more.

It was in a room…I wasn’t sure at first, but I figured it was either a library or music room. The remains again of a fireplace. I cleared some of the ground.

“At one time, this was the jewel of the South,” Colin said in a whisper I almost didn’t hear. “It will be again.”

I uncovered what was a picture. An oil painting that was in tatters, but smoothing it out, I dusted what was left. The leaves and other trash had guarded a lot, but it was pretty hard to see what it was. As I smoothed and pulled it I saw a face. I looked at the picture and looked at Colin. “It’s you!”

Colin looked over at me and saw the painting. His eyes widened, but then he smiled. “So, I look like a grandparent?” He shrugged.

I was stunned. “Look like?” I shook my head. “No, you look exactly like this man! If I didn’t know better, I’d swear it was you.”

Colin smiled, but I saw something in his eyes that wasn’t happy I saw that. “Well, that would make me what? Two hundred years old? And we both know that’s impossible.” He said scoffing at the notion.

Of course, he wasn’t!

“Well, we deserve a good lunch,” Colin said suddenly. “Let’s head back into Charleston, I’ll buy and we can talk more.”

I nodded, but I looked back at the face in the painting. It was as if he posed for it! I let the picture drop back to the floor. “Sounds good!”

Colin Wentworth stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel. That was the place to stay in Charleston. It was fancy enough for the most discriminating tastes. Luxurious. We ate in one of the finer restaurants there and had a late lunch as the drive was about two hours to get back. Now, as much as I disliked much of the Lowcountry’s Cuisine, I loved seafood and Charleston did seafood very well. I told Colin about some good companies here that could do a lot of the work which he just nodded as he listened. He did comment a little, but mostly listened and gave me the go-ahead to begin and even gave me the credit card and information to start.

“I’ll have your name added to authorize,” Colin said calmly.

I frowned. “Shouldn’t I sign something? You don’t know me. I could run off with money or even charge frivolous things on it.”

Colin smiled. “But you won’t.” He shook his head. “I do know people and you seem trustworthy. I’ll trust you.” He shrugged. “I’m not often wrong about whom I trust, but I’ll have some papers to sign later, for your employment reasons.” Then he smiled. “A man that could see grandeur in what was left…” he shook his head. “…I will trust you. I can sense a man’s values and you seem trustworthy.”

I nodded. “I hope I can live up to that trust. I’ll have to wait for you to authorize me on this card. Would tomorrow be soon enough to make calls?”

Colin nodded. “I’ll make arrangements with the bank today. We will meet again. You can work from here. I have a suite on the fourth floor. Suite 426.”

“What time is too early? Is there a wife or significant other I should consider?”

Colin shook his head. “No. Just me. There’s no one else. After nine? We’ll have breakfast here.”

I nodded. “I’ll be here.” Another meal here? At least the eating would be great.

 

When I got home, which I was happy to be, but hated I was living with my mother. Then again, she would be alone if I weren’t here and having just returned from duty I hadn’t had time to look for a place. The job would make it possible now.

“Well?” Mom asked me.

I shrugged a nod. “He hired me.”

She gave a light clap. “That’s wonderful. So when are you returning to work?”

“I meet him at nine tomorrow.” I couldn’t figure Colin out. I had followed him back to the hotel. He drove a car that had New York plates on it. The card he gave me was a bank I knew wasn’t around here in the south. But Mom was right. He did have a slight Southern accent. Not the hard twang of many in the rural areas around Charleston or my cousins. They were mostly in North Carolina. Most were in the middle of North Carolina and there were some in the mountains. Their accents were the hard twangy sounds. I was told I had a light one, but Mom’s side was in the mountains and she worked hard to get rid of hers. Colin’s was a softer accent of a man that had Southern roots. He was smart and apparently educated. There were many accents and Charleston even had one unique to Charleston, but his was…different somehow. He may have had Southern parents. But there was that picture! He was connected with that house and the family that lived there. A Southern Gentleman Yankee? I hated puzzles, but I’d learn more, I thought. I thought about him. He was very good looking. Very attractive. So, why did he have no one? He was rich, educated and in good shape. He should have had to fight them off! I shrugged. “Maybe he got tired of having to do that.” Later, I thought. I’d find out later.

 

Being who I am, I wasn’t late in the morning either. I waited until five minutes before nine to go upstairs. I waited until the minute hand told me it was nine and knocked. I couldn’t help but grin, he wasn’t too much of a gentleman. If I guessed, I’d say he had an eventful night. His hair was messed up, he had on a bathrobe…loosely, and he was unshaven.

“Should I come back?” I asked trying to keep the smile from my face.

Colin looked at his watch. “I said nine and it’s…” he squinted and his eyebrows rose. “Nine!” He shrugged and opened the door more. “Come in while I order coffee.” He shook his head. “And I need a shower.”

He looked more human now. “I can come back,” I said again.

He shook his head. “It’s my fault.” He said picking up the phone. “I’ll get coffee, I’ll shower and then we can go down for breakfast.”

He was in a suite that had two rooms…well, three counting the bathroom. The room I was in now was a living room. It had a sofa and chair. There was a little table set with four chairs to eat on. A balcony through the tall doors. Then there was the bedroom. A king-sized bed with end tables on either side. I assumed the door on the wall was to the closet and bathroom. The bed was messed up, but he didn’t look like he had company.

“I slept so well last night.” Colin smiled. “I usually wake up on my own about six, but not this morning.” Someone picked up as he said. “Coffee. I need coffee in 426, and please make it strong. Extra strong if you can swing it.” He nodded to a voice that couldn’t see him. “Thank you.” Then he grinned at me. “So, give me a few minutes, the coffee is on its way up as I take a shower.” He waved at the room. “Make yourself at home.” He waved at the TV. “Turn on the TV, I’ll just be a few minutes.”

I chuckled. “You’re the boss.”

Colin nodded with a light laugh. “I am, aren’t I?” And he went in the door for the closet and bathroom?

It was maybe ten minutes when a knock came on the door. I didn’t hear the shower now, but Colin wasn’t out yet, so I answered the door and the young guy smiled. “Strong coffee!” He said brightly.

I looked at the ticket but saw there was a portion to write the tip in. I shrugged and gave twenty percent. If Colin didn’t like that, I’d pay him back. “This is highly coveted right now. Thanks.” I smiled handed the man the ticket.

Wheeling the cart into the room I could smell the rich coffee. I really didn’t drink a lot of coffee, but this was tempting!

“I smell coffee!” Colin said from in the closet. He peered out as he slipped a shirt over his head. I saw enough of him to see he was pretty hairy on his chest and that chest wasn’t the least flabby. He was a hunk. There was no way he could be single. I enjoyed what I saw. “Help yourself!” He waved for me to try it.

I shrugged. “It does smell good.” I grinned pouring me a little in one of the china cups.

“Just save me some,” Colin said a little gruff, but friendly.

I chuckled. “I would never dream of coming between a man and his coffee.” The cart had to sugar and other sweeteners with coffee creamers from half and half to flavored creams. “This is nice!” I said sipping. “Maybe we can get iced coffee next time.”

Colin came back into the room. He still looked a little more human with his shirttail out. “You like those?” He grinned. “There’s hope for you yet.”

I decided to try a question. “If I can ask…” And then I hurried on. “It’s none of my business, but I find it hard to believe you’re single.”

His face faltered a little. “I’ve…been sick for a while in the past.” He said quietly. “I lost a wife and daughter. I just haven’t been interested in someone new.”

I nodded and that made sense. “As I said, it’s none of my business. I’m sorry that happened to you.”

Colin nodded. “Me, too.” He poured some coffee and almost drank it in one gulp.

I smiled as he lowered the cup with a sigh of satisfaction. “That truly is the nectar of the gods,” Colin said.

“Look, Colin. You said you trusted me.” I began. “Well, I trust, but I like to know people I trust. Is this going to be a working friendship, or a friendship while working?”

Colin’s eyebrow rose again, almost as good as Mr. Spock from Star Trek. “Interesting question.” He looked at me and smiled. “I only work with people I like and I hired you, so I’d say we have the beginnings of a working friendship. Then, as things progress, we can move to friends that work together.”

I nodded. “That works. I guess you’re not sick anymore. You look healthy. I was a medic, so illness and diseases don’t scare me. If there’s something I should know…”

Colin nodded. “You’re mother said you served overseas. I had a very severe case of Polymorphous Light Eruption. I couldn’t go out in the day at all or I’d literally burn in minutes. It would kill me if I remained outside.”

I looked at a very tan man. “But you’re not now. You’re tan!”

Colin nodded. “I’m on medication, very new and I’m a trial patient. I take it every day and I do well.” He waved over himself. “Thus, the tan!”

I smiled. “I should get one, too! But the heat was brutal in the Middle East. Those temperatures would be so…you cooked!”

“And you don’t here? It can be brutal here as well. Like yesterday, it was only noon when we left and it was scorching.”

I nodded. “I do here. I hate being hot.”

He finished his second cup of coffee. “Now, we go down and eat!”

I liked Colin. This would be interesting.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 72
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

R. Eric, once again a fine story.  I hope you are going to switch back and forth between this story and your others-- Cinderfella 2, North Meets South, Blueblood, and Superpowerball that are still in progress.  I enjoy all of your writing so far, and hope every night for a new chapter of a story you're writing.

I notice that Polymorphic Light Eruption is a real condition, manifesting itself in multiple ways.  I do not recall hearing about PLME before.  And reading a New Zealand website about it, I notice that someone with the condition is advised to wear SPF 40+ under their clothes, and at least SPF 50+ on exposed areas!  Further, UVA rays most often set it off, but in some people it can be set of by UVB or even visible light!  Makes for a very convenient explanation for the purposes of your story and I understand it so far.

 

I look forward to seeing much additional development for this story.  Thanks for writing it!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yes, I am alternating days I write about the stories.  Next is North Meets South, the next Cinderfella.  And Polymorphic Light Eruption is very real.  But if I tell you more, I'll give things away.  You will have to wait.  I'm working on North Meets South right now.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My car said it was 95 outside, but I knew the heat index made if feel much hotter. I didn’t catch this the first time around: ‘if’ should be ‘it.’  ;-)

 

The thing that makes the summer heat east of the Rockies so brutal is the humidity. Things are much drier in California and thus more bearable since your sweat dries right away. I remember being in Chicago in August when I was a child – it was 90°F, 90% humidity, at midnight!

 

At least in the Bay Area, LA, San Diego, and other coastal areas, it generally cools off quite a bit at night. And usually into late June, there is a fog bank that sits off the coast and returns late in the afternoon only to burn off the next morning, keeping things cooler all day. If you come to visit for SF's Frameline LGBTQ film festival, dress in layers – don’t think you’re going to enjoy your tank top & shorts ensembles. And thank you for going home after you’ve spent all of money here!  ;-)

Link to comment

I guess I'll have to dock your pay since you missed one.  If I miss only one or two, I'm good!  Tongue tied fingers and all.  Your help is very welcome and needed by me.  I appreciate it.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Interesting idea, though Sasha would be ten years older....which is very possible.  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

well if Sasha would be 10 years older, he and David would own their own restaurant...with Alik working there too...Colin is so a vampire 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Very intriguing, Colin and the PLE syndrome / condition ...  A very interesting beginning !  Not a vampire, but maybe an immortal ?  :gikkle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great start to a story; sets the stage and main characters well.  Has me hooked and ready to read more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I waited to start this story until Cinderfella was complete.  This story already has mystery and intrigue.  I'm hooked.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is a very interesting story so far, and by the looks of it it's only going to get better as it progresses. I'll say one thing this Colin has a strong taste for some strong coffee. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Truly an interesting start to the story; so much answered and yet so much left just behind the veil.  Pacing and writing were really good; can't wait to see where you take this one.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

     Speaking of cooling off at night: I was asked at one time why it always rains at 3:00 am in Miami and other coastal cities? Of course, I had to give the smart-ass answer that it was an arrangement between the Miami Chamber of Commerce, Tourist Bureau and the god of storms, but there is a meteorological explanation. Miami, as is Charleston, is a sea coastal city made up of a very large number of 'tourist hotels' with the normal collection of streets and parking lots. These structures heat up during the daytime in the strong sunlight, but the ocean, while the surface layers heat up some, is just too large a body of water, which has a high specific heat, to heat up to any great depth, so it acts as a heat sink, maintaining about 80℉ surface temperature day and night. This means that the sunshine creates a bubble of heated air over the city at high pressure and causes a wind to blow from the heated land out over the cooler sea, a land breeze that warms the beaches.

     At night the concrete masses of the city cool by radiation much more quickly than the surface of the ocean nearby, reversing the high and low-pressure areas and causing saturated air from over the now warmer ocean to flow back over the land, a sea breeze. As this moist air flows back over the now cooler land, it loses its ability to retain water vapor which condenses and falls out as rain, usually, depending on other weather conditions between midnight and morning twilight when the sun starts to heat the concrete masses once again.

     This repeating pattern of heating and cooling brings about the late night or early morning light rains that frequently do so much to clear the air over coastal cities, warm the beaches during the day and cool the night-time hours.

     This has been a long-winded explanation of the early morning rains affecting large coastal cities, now just don't inquire as to the causes of hurricanes as that would inspire another long-winded meteorological explanation!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 9/10/2018 at 3:16 AM, Will Hawkins said:

     This has been a long-winded explanation of the early morning rains affecting large coastal cities, now just don't inquire as to the causes of hurricanes as that would inspire another long-winded meteorological explanation!

I thought they were caused by butterflies!  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..