Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,314 Words
  • 4,229 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 10. Gabriella's First Night Out

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!

Getting up the next morning, it was just before dawn. I noticed the door to Colin’s room was open a little, so I looked out. Gabriella was waiting on the balcony as the sky was again beginning that glow on the horizon. I put the robe on and walked outside with her.

“It’s so pretty,” Gabriella said knowing I was there, but not taking her eyes off the sky. “I wish I could explain how I feel. These past decades have been this long nightmare I never thought would ever end.”

“I don’t believe there are words that can convey what you feel.” I smiled. “Even the best imagination can’t grasp what you two have been through.”

She glanced at me smiling and then looked back at the sky. “I didn’t think it could ever happen. If this is a dream, I never want to wake up.”

“This has been unbelievable since I first met Colin.” I chuckled. “This has been an impossible couple of weeks to believe if I hadn’t lived them.”

She laughed at that. “Words wouldn’t convey that either.” She reached out and took my arm bringing me closer as she laid her head against my shoulder as more of the sun appeared. “My world collapsed when Daddy died. I thought he was gone. Then one night he was just there again and you were there.” She and I watched the great orb rise higher over the horizon. “Colin is a unique man, Devon. He has always felt things deeply. He’s a man of great ideas and compassion, but has only felt a connection with one person.” She looked at me. “That’s you. He needs you, Devon. I know you won’t leave him. I don’t know what the future has in store for him or you, but he loves you. More than my mother and even more than Josiah.” She smiled. “I knew about Josiah and so did my mother. My father never hid his affections and I knew he loved Josiah, but even then, when he spoke of Josiah…I’ve not sensed the deep feeling he has now. He loves you.”

I didn’t have anything to say, except… “I can’t believe you are so…open to the idea.”

She looked at me and blinked. “Why? I’m his daughter. He raised me.” She said reasonably. “He taught me to see things as they are. Love is love.”

I shook my head. “You almost sound like it’s destined.”

She shrugged. “Who’s to say? Maybe it is, maybe not, but it is.” When the last of the sun had risen over the horizon, she leaned to me kissing my cheek. “Well, I’ll be here again tomorrow probably, but I’m going back to bed.” She smiled as she stretched. “I’ve still got a long way to go, but if Colin and you are here, I’ll be fine.”

I couldn’t understand what she felt. This was a whole new world for her that she was trying to understand, but had no foundation. Hopefully, Colin and I could give her one. I did what I needed to do and walked back into the bedroom where Colin was stretched out under the sheets as he lay on his stomach. I even chuckled at the slight rasp that wasn’t a snore but could be heard. He was human. Pulling the cover up I slid in beside him, my arm going over his back as I rested my head against as his back. Yes, I loved him. I was surprised at how fast and complete I was feeling. It wasn’t just physical. I loved Colin. He was so comfortable with me, his breathing only changed as he knew I was here and he eased back into sleep.

 

When Colin got up, he smiled as he came out of the bedroom with a yawn and saw I had the precious coffee there and waiting.

I waved at the pot as I sat, dressed and ready for the day. “It’s a few minutes old but still warm.” I drank some of the preferred cold coffee. “Brewed as strong as you like it.”

Colin nodded coming to the silver pot and as always inhaled the aroma from the pot first. “You know me.”

I grinned. “I do.” I got up walking over to him. “I like everything about you, Colin. I love you.”

This vampire was blushing as he smiled. “I love you. Why are you dressed so early?”

“They are doing inventory at the manor and moving things to storage. I promised to be there.” I said. “You know…”

He nodded and completed the statement with me. “…you’re never late. I know.” He kissed me gently. “I guess you’ve already had breakfast.”

“Not your kind of breakfast, but yes.” I picked up my keys from the table.

“I look forward to your coming back.” He said picking his keys up. “Take my car.” He kissed me again. “Drive safely.”

 

That morning was very productive. There were things brought out of that basement I knew were very valuable. Furniture and a collection of china plates and crockery. Vases with the soft letter “a” used, not the hard “a.” A china cabinet to hold a lot. Tables, chairs, and sofas. They had been covered and protected. Many things needed cleaning, but for the most part, intact and could be saved. It took a lot of the day to catalog everything and get some of it on trucks to take away. By five thirty that afternoon, I told the people that I had to go for the day and return the next. We’d have the whole basement cleared in a few days. The grounds were now cleared of a lot of the Kudzu and debris. The path was more accessible. The house was being cleared of trash and the foundation was beginning to be seen. Things were shaping up to begin rebuilding. The house that Colin had leased was ready and we began getting ready to occupy it. I chuckled as I thought about that. I said “we” as if I belonged there, too. Life had certainly come one hundred and eighty degrees for me, but I never felt this…rightness before. Things were falling into place, not only for me but for Colin and Gabriella.

Arriving at the suite, it was just after sunset. Entering the suite, I saw Colin on a laptop computer as Gabriella watched TV. An old episode of the I Love Lucy on the large screen. She wore another new outfit, this one was a real dress. Again, light blue. Her hair again was done, cascading below her shoulders and makeup on. Colin looked up as I entered and his face softened seeing me as he smiled.

“Welcome back.” Colin greeted rising as I got close. “How did it go?” He kissed me tenderly. “I missed you.”

I nodded as my arms went around him. “I missed you, too. It went well. I’m going back in the morning. The road to the manor is almost cleared to begin tearing down what you won’t need.”

Gabriella turned from the screen a moment. “Hi, Devon.” But something on the screen caused her to laugh and she pointed at the screen. “This woman is extremely funny! Have you seen her?”

I nodded. “I have. She’s a classic comedienne. Lucille Ball. It’s her immortality.” I thought a moment. “I envy you, Gabriella. You’re seeing her for the first time, I grew up on reruns of that and other shows.”

She chuckled at something else on the screen. “It’s not a bad thing, but I envy you’re seeing this as classics.”

Colin nodded and waved at the screen of his laptop. “You should see the plans!” He said excitedly. “The house will not only be rebuilt, but it will also be more grand than it ever was. It was the jewel of the South. It will be again. I’d like to save as much of the original of the house I can, but if I can’t…” he shrugged. “It will be brought back. It will be a smart house with all the things a modern structure needs to take it into the next century.” He pointed to a computer-generated picture of a truly magnificent entrance that was large, spacious and…to me, a little over the top. Two stairs rising on either side of a marble, checkerboard black and white floor that showed a door on the other side of a great hall far away. A chandelier hung from two or more floors dangling over the floor, but still high above. Gabriella forgot about Lucy and came over to look at the screen. Then he hit a button and pointed to the TV screen where the images could now be seen larger. Gabriella looked at them as her eyes grew. She seemed familiar with them, but also amazed. She went to the TV screen as hallways appeared and then rooms. A wide hall with paintings and furniture, a long carpet running down the center. Then a ballroom was seen and it was like the others, grand. A large floor for dancing and mingling. The marble here was shiny and stretched from a fireplace on one wall to another on the other wall. Bedrooms were elegant and big. There was a library and music room, an office, a solarium, a dining room big enough for twenty at the table over which were two smaller versions of the chandelier hanging over the table in the long room. A gourmet kitchen with every imaginable cook top or whatever. Some things I had no idea what they did. This was going to cost major money. Colin said he had it, so what was my part in this? Designated worrier? I had a flash of me fretting over something I had no control over and this was just too unreal! Then I looked at the computer screen and then the TV and there it was. Real.

“It’s big!” Was all I could say.

Colin chuckled with a nod. “Yes, it is.” He shrugged. “I suppose it’s due to how I grew up. When you have a station in life, you show it. We did it all. Bigger rooms, wider hallways…even the excess material on the floor where there were curtains. You told people you’re someone when you have so much in spilling the material on the floor because you could!” He hit a button and the interior walls came up. “Complete with optic cables and air conditioning. Also, it will have solar panels to save on expenses. Outside I plan to have a walled garden with roses and other plants. It will be spectacular!”

Watching his eyes as he talked about it, I saw this was something he had planned a long time. There was a light in his eyes when he spoke of the manor and what he wanted. It was a kind of obsession.

I grinned at him. “I’m sure it will be.”

Gabriella walked toward the large TV screen and reached out to touch the images that she’d seen. “These paintings are amazing.” She stood up and grinned. “I know, they aren’t paintings. Photography was just beginning when we were…human.”

Colin nodded with another chuckle. “Well, it’s gotten a whole lot better. Even the TV screen, as you see, I Love Lucy is in black and white. Now the screen looks like a window looking in seeing all the color and details.” He smiled at her and then looked at me. “I think Gabriella is ready for an evening out.”

Gabriella looked shocked. “Out? With people? I’m not ready.”

“We’re simply going downstairs to eat,” Colin said as his arm came around me. “We’ll have a nice dinner in the restaurant. Just the three of us, you’ll be fine. How was the tingling today?”

Gabriella shook her head. “Not as bad as before, but felt.”

“Now that the sun’s down, it should be gone.”

She nodded. “Yes, but I’m not sure I’m ready for others.”

“There have been others up here. You must be ready sooner or later. Devon and I will never leave you.” He looked at me. “You need more clothes.” He pointed to the bedroom where there were boxes on the bed. “I took the liberty of calling downstairs and had them send some things up in your size. Pick what you like, send back what you don’t, but pick something so we can go eat.”

I nodded. “I need a shower first, but okay.”

I showered and came out looking at what he’d gotten for me. There was everything, including underwear and socks. Colin opened the door to the bedroom as he came in.

“I didn’t know your shoe size, I had to guess.” He pointed to another few boxes off to the side of the room against the wall. “I got size eight to twelve, but I didn’t think a twelve would fit.”

This was just…so… I shook my head. “Gabriella said if what was happening was a dream, she hoped to never wake up.” Walking over to Colin. “I know what she means. You’re an amazing man, Colin. No matter what century you were born in.” I watched as he flushed a little. “You’re kind, compassionate and funny.” I wrapped my arms around his neck as I drew him into a kiss. “I am falling helplessly in love with you.”

Colin chuckled as he returned the kiss. “Just as I am with you, Devon.” Then I heard a noise from his mid-section.

“A vampire’s stomach growls?” I asked grinning in amazement.

“Well, I am one and it did just growl. So, yes.”

“Then, I better hurry!” I kissed him again and made my choices quickly and dressed.

 

We went downstairs to the restaurant to eat. Gabriella was still looking at the hotel in amazement. It was interesting to see things she found fascinating.

As we waited for our appetizers, I ventured some other questions. “You were a success as a plantation owner. What was your export?”

Gabriella chuckled. “I thought you could figure that out. Blue! We raised Indigo.” She waved at her outfit. “Blue is my favorite color. That was our main cash crop.”

I nodded with a chuckle. “Sorry, I didn’t make that connection.” I turned to Colin. “I don’t recall any mention of the Marshall family in Charleston history.”

Colin gave a shrug and nod. “That’s because he isn’t from Charleston. He’s not even from South Carolina. He’s from Georgia, but his family made money and there were charges saying they were also pirates. They had a plantation near Brunswick.”

“Other than what Brett’s brother did in challenging you to a duel and lost, what was Brett’s problem? He was successful, you said. What was his problem with the Wentworths?” I asked.

Colin shook his head. “That’s a different story. The problem goes back to my grandfather. Brett, his brother and all the others in his family believed in class. A caste system. You were born into a life and that was because you deserved it. Why? I can’t say. A slave is always a slave. A man of good breeding is a man of good breeding. He believed himself to be well bred. The schism began with my grandfather who lost a few shipments to the pirates that were stolen and men were killed. He investigated and found Brett’s grandfather was the man that led the Pirates. The problem was proving it in court. We were accused of ruining the family name for the Marshalls. Brett thought he’d do the same for us.”

“We’re going back to the 1700s!” I shook my head. “But he became a vampire, but who made him!?”

Colin shrugged. “I don’t know. The rumor is it had been a former slave that bit him. I don’t see how that can be, but that’s the story.” He shook his head again. “The problem was everything he tried as a plantation owner, seemed to fail. His family was good at being pirates. What I did was successful and he resented that. He would do whatever it took to bring my family down.”

“They almost did,” I said sadly, but smiled. “But you’re still here.”

We had a nice meal and then walked around downtown Charleston. There were many people out that evening and Gabriella again just looked in wonder at what she saw.

“I know this city, but it’s all so…different at the same time!” Gabriella said in wonder.

“We should begin moving into the house on the Battery in a few days,” Colin said to Gabriella. “You should be feeling up to doing that soon. I’ll want you there to make sure things are…where they are supposed to be.”

Gabriella nodded. “So, long as you don’t expect me to know a lot about all these new things, sure.”

 

Back at the suite, Colin gave Gabriella her injection and waited as she went through the pain. This time, it lasted about fifteen minutes before she relaxed and that made Colin smile.

“She’s getting adjusted to it. The serum in her system has reached a point and the levels are evening out.” Colin said as he closed her bedroom door and got things together for his own injection.

I came over, stopping him. He looked at me questioning.

“Do you trust me?” I asked.

Colin didn’t even take a second to nod. “Of course I do.”

I took the syringe. “Guide me through how much to give, I’ve seen where and I was a medic, I can give injections.” I looked at him. “I’ll do it for you.” Pushing him onto the sofa.

That seemed to touch Colin deeply. “Okay.” He smiled as he kissed me gently and rolled up his sleeve. He told me the amount but smiled as I prepared him medically, cleaning the site with the alcohol swabs and getting the serum in the syringe. Injections weren’t hard, but you could mess it up by going too far or not enough. After I put the tourniquet on and the veins came up. He had veins like garden hoses, it seemed. I pushed the needle in knowing I had gotten where I needed to be. I did as I had seen him do, injecting the serum and removed the needle and tourniquet. Only this time, I sat with him on the sofa as the pain came for him and held his hand. This serum was keeping him not only from becoming a vampire but alive. How could I not be a part of the process? I got a cloth to wipe his forehead, lips, and face as he endured the pain, only this time, he looked directly at me with those green, green eyes.

“I love you, Colin,” I said as he went through this agony. It hurt me to watch, but only because I saw tears form in the corner of his green eyes.

“I…love…you…too.” Colin managed as the pain continued and to my surprise, he smiled! He was in a lot of pain, but he smiled at me! His breathing started to relax.

“I do love you, Colin,” I repeated pressing my forehead to his. “I’d like this to stop, but this is what you’ve shown me we have to do.”

Colin’s eyes held more than love. There was also a desire, but something else. He was unprepared for what I said and that love was seen easily by me in his eyes. He reached up taking both sides of my face bringing it toward him as he kissed me, deeply and again consuming me. His breathing increased as his desire grew. “That was the nicest serum injection I’ve ever gotten.” He said almost breathless.

I wiped his face of the sweat and tears. “I just wish there was something I could do more to ease the pain,” I said softly as our foreheads rested together.

“You did.” Colin smiled. “You loved me.”

“You know I do,” I said.

“And you were willing to stay the whole time while it worked,” Colin said kissing me again. “That told me how deeply you do love me. You were not only willing to see me go through this but sit with me while I went through it. Your hand got tighter around mine as the pain came. This time, I went through it knowing you were with me.” He sat up kissing me more, pushing us back toward the bedroom.

My arms came around him more as we went. I loved how he felt against me and under my hands, strong, warm and getting warmer.

“Make love to me, Devon,” Colin said in my ear as his lips traveled down to my neck as he kissed his way and unbuttoned my shirt. “I know you love me, show me you love me.”

I did! The pace we set was slow and easy but intensified as I made love to Colin. He preferred to face me while I did and I came in an explosion of love and passion. Then he did the same for me.

In the afterglow of our loving Colin rested his head against my chest as I played with his hair.

“I don’t know how long we’ve got together, Devon.” Colin began softly. “I wish it was forever, but…”

“I’ll die and you won’t,” I said thinking I knew.

Colin looked up frowning. “I don’t know if that’s true.” He said softly. “The serum is being improved.” He smiled. “The only thing has been the aging part that hasn’t been solved, but my body is coming back to life still. I may start aging again.”

I frowned. “Some people would say that is the fountain of youth.”

Colin looked unsettled at that. “Believe me, living as I did was no fountain of youth.”

I sat up more. “But it is! You were a vampire, but now you put up with a few minutes of pain and you don’t age!”

“And that’s not all it’s cracked up to be,” Colin said not understanding why I didn’t see that. “I watched my friends die! My family was moving on and I didn’t! I lost everything.”

“But they could if they were turned, your friends could have lived as long as you have as long as they take the serum!” Now, I was not understanding why he didn’t see this point. “A life of hundreds of years versus maybe a life sixty or seventy years is a fair trade for most people.” I pressed my own chest. “I’d like that, too. I admit it, I’d love to be like you are. I dread the idea of growing old and dying while you are still forty!”

Colin shook his head. “But it’s not right.”

“Who says?” I asked. “The reason I would like it is because I love you. I would love to spend centuries with you.”

Colin looked horrified at what I said. “No! You wouldn’t!” He said very loud.

“How do you know? No one’s had a marriage that lasted that long, because no one lived that long!” I said equally loud. “I’d do it for you! To love me and then lose me because I die of old age! That’s horrible!”

“I didn’t choose this!” Colin said angrily. “It was forced on me! You would never face a day when you couldn’t be outside without taking the serum.”

“So, what?” I asked. “Diabetics have to take insulin several times a day. They live.”

Colin sat up taking my arms. “Listen, Devon. You do not want to be to what I am.” He was really scared I would seek this life out. “I can’t make you one and I wouldn’t if I could. I treasure what you have given me. I never risked my heart before because of what you just said. I would live and you won’t, but I love you. I always will. I love you too much to do that!”

“Immortality has been sought since man began,” I said to Colin as I stroked his face. “I like my life as it is,” I said knowing he could sense the truth. “Why did you love me? Why choose me?”

Colin shrugged. “I don’t know. From the moment we met, I knew you were special. Why? I don’t know. I told you, I sensed peace. I just knew I had to have you in my life. I was falling in love before we even left Wentworth Manor that morning, but you do not want this life!”

I smiled kissing Colin. “I don’t want this, I want you.”

“I can still be killed,” Colin said.

“And I could die tomorrow in a car accident or shooting,” I said. “Can I get back to you in a couple of decades on what to do next?”

Colin relaxed as he grinned. “I think I can give you that.”

“Who knows? You may find me hard to live with if you want me to do that.” Okay, I was fishing for the answer I wanted to hear.

“You mentioned marriage.” Colin grinned. “Now you are hinting about us living together. Do you want to do that?”

I looked like I really didn’t care. “I suppose we could try it a while.” I waved at the suite. “I have pretty much for the past few days as I’ve lived with you.” Then I looked in his emerald eyes. “Do you want me?”

Colin smiled. “I waited two centuries to find someone like you. Yes, I want you. We could do it. We’ll enjoy what we have.”

“That sounds great.” I smiled pulling him back down as I kissed him deeply. Looking down at him. “I see you’re ready for so more loving.” I grinned as I nipped his lips lightly. I guided his fingers so they touched my erection. “So am I.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had to look Wentworth Miller up!  I can say Wentworth is cute, but no.  Colin Wentworth is much better looking.  Miller is a kid compared to Colin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Colin and Devon's lives are starting to get to the place they're not at later in the story. The love they're starting to show for each other is real love. There's no way that love can be faked. I'll bet their love lasts for centuries, especially since Devon becomes a vampire out of the love between him and Colin. Gabby seems to be adjusting very well. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..