Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,855 Words
  • 2,726 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 35. Orienting Willie

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!!!

Getting Willie back was not hard…well…it was hard maneuvering things back up. What impressed me was George had things planned out perfectly. Two of the men he brought with him were in EMT uniforms. The other two were dressed as city transit employees, complete with badges! When we came out on the platform, there was a cop that saw us and stopped us.

“What’s going on here?” The policeman asked seeing the gurney.

George smiled. “Well, this man was found in an abandoned portion of the subway. I’m taking him to the hospital to have him checked out.” He pulled his American Medical Association badge. “I’m Doctor Holms. He’ll be a patient for a while.”

The cop frowned looking closer at Willie. “Geez, he doesn’t look alive!”

George shrugged. “He won’t be if we don’t get him treated.”

The cop nodded. “Yeah, sure.” He waved us on. “Go, go!”

It was night, so Willie was fine when we got him in the van and took him to VUN. Getting him upstairs we put him in a room that was completely enclosed. No windows here, so when the sun came up, he’d be fine.

I looked around the white painted brick room. “It’s a little sterile in here.” I looked at Colin. “Where are they taking Willie’s treasures?”

Colin stood up thinking. “I guess storage for now. Until Willie decides to take the serum or not. He’ll have a room, but it will be with us. You and me.” He cocked his head at me. “You do know that, right?”

I looked at in mock horror. “What!? I had no idea I’d be living with a vampire!” I grabbed Colin and brought him in a hug. “Of course, he will live with us. You didn’t bargain with having my mother live with us.”

Colin chuckled as he kissed me. “Well, I didn’t expect the woman that showed me my own property would be living with me, but I get her son. It is a fair bargain.”

I nodded and said seriously. “I know this man is your father. Where else should he live?” I patted Colin on the chest. “Now, about those treasures. Is there any particular one he favors?”

He chuckled. “Pretty much all of them. Those crystal goblets he always kept clean. That porcelain doll.”

I nodded. “I’ll get those and some others.” I waved at the room where there was a bed and a couple of chairs and that was it. “This place needs…something. Something familiar to him.”

I spent the next few hours getting the things he loved and other assorted others. As I was walking back to the room where Willie was I ran into Gabriella.

“Hi, Devon. Where’s Dad?” She asked.

I smiled at her. “Well, he’s busy.” Should I tell her? “Has Colin ever mentioned Willie to you?”

“Willie?” She asked.

I laughed a little and patted her arm. “Maybe you should come with me,” I said and led her back to the room. Opening the door, I saw that Willie had awakened and was talking to Colin a little groggy, but talking. Colin was sitting on the side of the bed holding Willie’s hand.

“…I told you, I’d take care of you and I will.” Colin said looking up and smiling at me and Gabriella. “Hi, Gabby!” He stood and waved at Willie. “Gabriella, this…” he smiled at Willie. “…is your grandfather.”

Her eyes widened. “My grand…” then she frowned. “That’s neither Grampa or Grand. I knew your dad, I met Mom’s dad and he isn’t either one.” Then she smiled. “Unless there’s something you haven’t told me.”

Colin chuckled. “Well…he isn’t your mother's or my father…physically. When I came up here to New York, this man took care of me for decades. He’s more my father than Grandpa ever was. So, he is your grandfather.”

Willie sat up a little more, but he was shielding his eyes. “Can we turn the lights off or something?” He asked. “I can’t see well.”

I nodded. “Sure.” I went to the wall and pulled the switch I knew would dim the lights. “I guess living in almost perpetual darkness, this would be difficult.”

Willie looked at Gabriella now. He smiled. “She’s lovely!”

Gabriella approached a little hesitant. He was dressed like the homeless, in layers and as Colin said, the only real growth was our fingernails and hair. His black and grey head needed a haircut and a shave. He didn’t always shave, so he had a few days growth on his face that was mostly white. She stuck her hand out to Willie. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. Willie, wasn’t it?”

Willie nodded. “That’s me.” He looked around. “Is everyone here a vampire?”

Colin looked a little sheepish. “No, the four men that helped us move you were fully human. George you knew as a vampire. Gabriella and Devon are. There are a few others here, but mostly they’re human.”

Willie wasn’t as anxious as I thought he would be, but he wasn’t at ease yet. I had a feeling he was staying calm on purpose, but maybe not feeling it.

“Is this too much for you right now, Willie?” I asked.

Willie looked a little embarrassed. “A little.” He nodded.

I took Gabriella’s hand. “We need to give him some space now. You’ll be seeing him a lot more later.” I said to her.

Gabriella looked confused. “What’s wrong?”

I leaned next to her. “I’ll explain,” I said taking her out of the room. Outside I smiled. “He’s a sweet man and loves Colin a lot,” I explained. “But he’s been isolated for several decades underground in New York’s abandoned subway.”

Gabriella nodded. “And?”

“He was damaged in World War One,” I explained. “He forgets things and his ability to track time is a little…faulty.”

Gabriella looked sad and held a pitying look and then back at the door. “Oh, that poor man.”

I smiled as she said that. “Colin says he saved his life when he came up here.”

Gabriella nodded. “Okay. I guess Daddy loves and trusts him. Therefore, important to him.”

I nodded. “Very.”

“Then I’ll get to know him,” Gabriella said smiling. “I know he must be special with Daddy’s ability to sense people.” She looked at me. “I know what it’s like to have the world be different. If you need help…”

I pulled her in kissing her on the cheek. “I knew you would.” I grinned. “Just give him a few days. I don’t even know if he’ll take the serum.”

Gabriella nodded, understanding. “It’s not easy, as you know. I’ll be available.” She said and turned to leave.

I nodded as she walked off. I went back to the room with Colin and Willie. Willie was having a little more trouble now as he was shaking.

“…I can’t do this.” Willie said upset. “This isn’t my home.”

Colin sighed and rubbed his back gently. “Neither was that subway office. You were at home there for so long and not here yet. Give it a chance, Willie.”

“I’m trying!” Willie almost cried. “It doesn’t feel right.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Colin asked.

Willie shook his head. “I don’t know.”

I frowned for this could be a problem. “Should I get George?”

Colin nodded. “Please.”

Once again, George came and gave him…whatever, mixed in the blood he had on hand and got Willie to go to sleep.

I watched Colin’s face and it was full of stress thinking about what to do. He would refuse to leave, so I didn’t ask him. “Colin, what did you plan for Willie if he didn’t take the serum? Is there a room for him?”

Colin shook his head. “I was going to make one.”

I nodded. “We’re starting that room now.” I looked at the cinder brick room, it was better now with some of his treasures. “We need furniture and other things. No harsh overhead lights, some softer indirect lights. It still looks sterile. We can work on building a room in our apartment…”

Colin grinned coming to me and pulling me into a hug. “I love you, Devon.”

I grinned. “Now you tell me!? All this time I thought it was all about sex.”

Colin’s eyebrows waggled. “There’s that, too.” He said kissing me deeply.

I chuckled. “I love you, Colin.”

He embraced me tightly. “I know you do.”

 

Colin was staying with Willie and Colin had become such a constant presence in my life, I missed him. Stupid, huh? Willie was important to Colin and I would be there when needed, but I wasn’t needed right now. I went to see Stan and Mark.

It was still dark out and I wasn’t sure they were up or doing something else. As cautious as Stan was about Mark’s injury, I didn’t think they were doing something else yet. I came to their door again and I saw it was cracked open again. Did they ever shut the door? Peering in, I saw Stan leaning over Mark, who was lying on the bed, but they were kissing. Stan was kissing Mark very deeply and Mark was returning the kiss with equal passion. Mark was pulling Stan closer. I knocked on the door and saw Stan try to stand up quickly, but Mark, unashamed, wasn’t letting him go.

I chuckled. “The door was open,” I said lightly leaning on the door jamb. I shrugged. “That was a pretty good kiss. A little PG, but getting to the R rating. If you were thinking of going X, you might want to close the door. Triple X and definitely close the door.”

With Stan’s fair complexion he began to turn pink immediately. Mark however just smiled as he refused to let Stan’s hand go as he shrugged. “It was spur of the moment.”

I nodded. “Colin and I have those spur of the moments a lot.”

Stan nodded grinning. “So I noticed.”

I came in further. “So, what’s the word on how you’re doing, Mark?”

Mark grinned. “I’ve been up and moved around some today. I should be up tomorrow longer.” He looked a little irritated at Stan. “If he lets me.”

Stan shrugged. “You push too hard, Mark. I said, take it easy.”

Mark nodded. “And then was stuck to my side the whole way.” He chuckled.

“I didn’t want you to get weak and fall.” Stan pointed out logically.

Mark grinned. “I know.” He looked behind me and then looked puzzled. “Where’s Colin? I didn’t think you two could travel alone.”

I smiled sadly. “Well…there’s another man in his life.”

Stan and Mark now were very curious, looking with equal looks that said, you’re kidding.

“He had a man that looked out for him back in the 1920s or 1930s…he is like a father to Colin,” I explained. “We brought him into the VUN.”

Mark nodded slowly. “I see.”

“You will see hopefully soon.” I grinned. “Right now, Colin is with him until they decide what to do.”

Now Stan did not understand what the indecision was about. “What is there to decide? He takes the serum.” He said simply with a shrug.

I gave a shrugging nod. “Well, he’s sort of…different. He’s special.” I then explained what I felt I could share about Willie. I was beginning to feel like I was intruding on Stan and Mark. So, I ended it with. “I hope you know you can freely express affection between each other around here. There’s no one here that will bother you about it.” I chuckled and added. “As long as it’s PG.”

Mark grinned. “I think we can keep it under control.”

 

I went back to Willie’s room where he was still asleep. Colin was still there, waiting. Colin looked up at me and gave a sad smile.

“I’m sorry we’re not spending more time together,” Colin said.

I smiled. “We’ve got a good life and a long time to spend together. This is important to you.” I came over and kissed him. “I understand.” I looked around the room. “Now, I need to get some things in this room.” I was starting to go and get some things when Colin stopped me.

“Thank you for understanding, Devon. This is going to be hard for Willie.”

I nodded and pulled the only other chair over and sat by Colin. “What he needs is space,” I explained. “How many people did he deal within a day, a week or even a month?”

Colin shrugged. “Practically none.”

I held my finger up. “That’s the first thing. And what was his routine on a daily basis?”

“Get up, find his needed blood and go hunting for his treasure,” Colin said.

I nodded. “And now he’s off that routine. I think, for now, we should limit Willie to just you, me, George and maybe Gabriella. I will get this room set up with more things. He was used to that clutter of the ticket office.” I chuckled. “We’ll have the lights off except for the indirect lighting to make it darker. We’ll slowly add more people, but he needs something to do.” I explained. “Tonight, while most everyone is gone for the day, we can bring him out and take him around here. Show him what it’s like here and get him used to VUN. Keep him occupied.” I shrugged. “He might even consent to let George examine him. I can’t help but think he had a brain injury back during the war. That and PTSD.”

Colin nodded. “You think he has Post traumatic Stress?”

I nodded. “I’d almost bet the farm on it.” I frowned. “If there’s something that can be treated…if he does have a brain trauma…there are medications, but I don’t know if George has given medications like that to a vampire.”

Colin listened and nodded, but he was smiling more. “I guess we’ll see.” He looked at Willie. “He was fine underground. He felt safe. Now, he doesn’t.”

I kissed Colin again. “I know you’ll do whatever you have to, to make him feel safe again. I’ll start getting some things up here.”

I spent several hours getting some furniture up in the room. I got a few lamps and turned the overhead lights out. Willie woke as I was working, but seemed a little more relaxed. Tables and a desk were brought in and I even brought in a TV. I wondered if he even knew what it was for. There were radios back when he was human…I thought. I even got his needed blood. Colin and I ate in the room with Willie.

I looked at Willie who was looking at the tray I wheeled in on a cart. His eyes grew when he saw how much I managed to bring.

“What’s that?” Willie asked, but his nose was sort of turned up.

“Colin’s and my dinner,” I explained. “Colin eats a lot.” I chuckled. I removed the cover and showed the two steaks on a plate. “This is Colin’s.” I removed the other cover and my single steak. “This is mine.” Complete with the baked potatoes and all the stuff that goes on it.

Willie leaned forward and shook his head. “It doesn’t smell right.”

Colin nodded. “Well, if you decide to take the serum, it will.” He pulled his steaks over and began to cut some of his and took a bite, relishing the taste. “Man, this tastes so good!” He said with a mouth still full of steak he was still chewing. He looked at Willie and smiled. “I hope you’re feeling better about being here.”

Willie nodded. “I’m getting there.” He looked at the room. “Your husband was nice to make it more comfortable for me.”

Colin nodded drinking his iced tea and frowned. “I told them before, sweet ice tea.” He shook his head. “Northerners.” He got the sugar packets out and dumped the sugar in and stirred. Drinking it he still shook his head. “It’s not the same. Only Southerners make good sweet iced tea.” Then he sat back. “Are you cold, Willie?”

Willie shook his head. “We don’t really get cold.”

“I can now. What I’d like…” Colin began. “…I’m going to get some clothes for you.” Then he chuckled. “You could use a haircut. Or just a good combing.”

Willie’s eyes widened as he touched his hair that was clean, but below his ears and little haphazard. “I usually just cut it myself.” He rubbed his chin. “I guess I should shave, too.”

Colin nodded. “You’ve met Gabriella. She used to cut my hair. She can cut yours if you’d like her to.”

Willie nodded. “Sure.”

Colin smiled. “There’s a bathroom down the hall I’ve taken you to. I’ll take you there and you can shave, shower and change. Does that sound good?”

Willie smiled. “With hot water?”

Colin nodded. “Lots of hot water.”

Willie nodded and looked at me. “I sometimes didn’t even bother. I had to heat up the water I used, so sometimes I just dealt with cold water.”

“You don’t have to now.” I pointed out. “There are some nice things about the world. I hope you’ll become more a part of it.”

Willie nodded and looked at Colin. “I’m glad you came back.” He said softly. “I’m glad you care about me.”

Colin smiled sadly and took Willie’s hand. “I always will. I was gone a while, but I’m never leaving you again.”

I said before if Willie had tears, he probably would be shedding them.

Later we took Willie down the hall to the bathroom. I made sure there was no one in the hall or in the bathroom before we took him. Willie was looking at the hall and ceiling with those overhead lights. These modern lights and things were new to him. The hall was like Willie’s room had been, clean, but kind of sterile. White. Colin had managed to get some clothes for Willie, guessing at his sizes. Willie looked at the big bathroom that had several shower stalls. I started the water and got it warm. I showed him how to increase the heat or turn it down and then handed him the soap and shampoo. The concept of modesty probably didn’t occur to Willie now. He began taking his clothes off immediately. I had been wrong about Willie. He wasn’t in his late fifties or early sixties when he was turned. With his clothes off, I saw he was younger. Shave off about ten more years because what I saw wasn’t what I assumed. We were all male so he just took his clothes off without thinking about it, but what I saw was a man that had been in the military and he had definition in his muscles. He was a vampire, so that didn’t change. He was about ten years older than Colin, but he wasn’t a bad looking man. I looked at Colin. “I’ll go talk to Gabriella and ask her if she can cut his hair.”

Colin nodded.

I got Gabriella and I took her to the bathroom. I peered inside to see Willie was done and dressed from the waist down and told them she was here. Bringing Gabriella in the men’s bathroom she walked up to Willie.

“Would you like a haircut?” Gabriella asked Willie. “I’ll even shave you if you like.”

He smiled. “Sure.”

She sat him down, took out the sheers she’d brought and began shaping it up and with a straight razor she shaved him. I was startled when I looked at Willie. He was not an old man at all! Dressed now from the waist down, hair cut neatly, dark brown on top with grey at his temples and few grey in the hair near his temple and ears, but his chest showed muscles. The hair removed from his face made him look much, much younger! He might have tempted me! But I had Colin and wanted no one else, but he was a very nice looking man!

“Damn, Willie!” I smiled big as I looked at him. “You must have been a real ladies man!” I grinned. “You’re beautiful!”

Willie’s eyes grew. “What!? No, I’m not.” He chuckled. “I haven’t done anything like that in a long time. Even I know that has been a long time.”

Colin grinned. “Then we can make up for it. You have time.”

Willie frowned. “With this brain,” he tapped his head again. “…who’d want to have anything to do with me?”

I walked over to Willie and put my hand on his shoulder. “There are people here that would love to have something to do with you, Willie. The brain part we can work on. I’m sure there’s something we can do. I’ve dealt with the military and I know what can happen. There are treatments now. I promise to help you. You’re a very nice man. You’re kind and you have a good heart. Colin loves you. I can say I love you too now.”

Gabriella nodded. “I like you. I’m getting to the love part.” She smiled. “I can honestly say. It won’t be long until I do love you.”

I nodded. “My point is no one should be alone. You know that. Colin has an almost sixth sense about people and he loves you.”

Willie smiled and looked at Colin. “Yeah, he does.” Then he grinned, he looked at Colin and me. “But I don’t bend that way.” He waved his finger back and forth from me to Colin.

Colin burst out laughing. “Don’t knock it till you try it, Willie.” He grabbed me from behind. “Besides, we’re taken.” He wrapped his right arm around me and held up his left hand to show his wedding ring. I held my left hand to show a matching ring.

“Whatever you decide to do.” I continued going back to Willie. “You know Colin and I will be beside you. You’re family. Whether you were born to it or not. You’re family.”

“And that includes me.” Gabriella nodded and added. “Grandpa.”

Willie smiled and thought a minute. “That serum hurts, doesn’t it?”

Colin nodded. “It will at first. Yes. I won’t lie. You’ll be tired after the pain goes away. It does for the first few days while your heart is restarted.”

Gabriella smiled and leaned down to Willie. “But you’ll see the sunshine again. It’s a scary world, but it’s also beautiful.” She showed the back of her arm where her disc was inserted. “After a week or so, you’ll be given one of these and the pain stops. You’ll get a life back. We all have.”

Willie nodded standing. “Let me think a little more, but…” he nodded and then looked at Colin. “I trust you, Colin. You think I should take it.” It wasn’t a question.

Colin nodded. “I want you happy, Willie.” He hugged Willie. “If you take it or not.” He held Willie back a little. “I’m not letting you go again.”

Willie nodded. “I’ll let you know.” He scowled at Gabriella. “Grandpa!?”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

With Stan’s fair complexion we began to turn pink immediately. He began?

 

“So, I noticed.” No comma.

 

Grandpa!  ;-)

 

‘Gramps’ always makes me think of cramps!

Link to comment

Excellent chapter and really captures the confusion at the new world Willie would be struggling to come to terms with.

 

I love the link that he and Colin has and how Willie is accepting Colin's family first.

 

Devon has shown his measure yet again by being the only one that recognized that Willie needed the room to feel like home. Not white and bare. He needed clutter and his treasures in order too feel safe.

 

Being a Brit it's a shameful fact and true that so many men came home from that insidious war and the medical man did not have the knowledge of how to care for them.

 

Many think that PTSD is used almost as an excuse to explain what they can not explain. All we know is these men faced the maws of hell in the trenches  and still our men face these maws today ... Then once they have faced them and battled the demons of war they crawl out of hell leaving their old lives behind never to be the same again...and we wonder why they have problems we can't explain.

 

I loved my Grandpa, he was so like Willie. WW1 had stolen part of him ... the vacant looks ... the need to be alone ... his only smile when his grandchildren chattered away about nothing and a tear rolled down his face. I miss the hours he cradled me to his chest and we both were in heaven for a few moments. The world might have been buzzing around us, but we were alone in our own world together and he was happy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter almost made me cry! Sad tears :,( and happy tears. :)  Willie is so sweet and Colin loves him.  The love they feel for each other just flowed off the page. But WHOA, I wasn't expecting him to look like Devon described in the bathroom scene.  I was thinking he was in his late 60's but to find out that he had a really fit body and was only a few years older than Colin...yum. I can't wait to find out how he reacts to the world.

 

I hope that there's something that can be done to help his brain injury and PTSD.  I seriously believe that PTSD is one of the most overlooked and mis-understood issues facing veterans. I never understood how society thought that soldiers could come home from a war zone and just pick up where they left off without any problems.  I knew some Vietnam war vets when I was in college and the stories they told and the reactions they had were so outside of my 21 year old experience that all I could do was shake my head.  One of them stayed drunk all the time but if you talked to him you never knew it. Super intelligent, too.  He told us stories of being a 'tunnel rat' in Vietnam. When I got older I saw a movie about the tunnel rat's and I remembered him and understood why he stayed drunk. :(  And because of these mental issues, they can't maintain a home life, or keep a job and end up homeless or committing suicide. Ok, I'm stopping my rant now before I write a book. :blushing:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Willie is a father figure to Colin and he wants to protect him as much as possible. I'm glad that Colin and Devon have the right knowledge of what Willie is to Colin. Devon is doing all he can to make it more comfortable with the situation by bringing in a few things of Willie's things so as not to stress him out much more than he already is. Gabby even likes Willie, she calls him grandpa and he wasn't to sure about it. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..