Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,459 Words
  • 4,192 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blueblood: A Dark Southern Aristocracy - 18. Second Bite

In memory of my Daniel. You'll live forever!

We turned on the platform to the people who stood and applauded. There were a few hoots, too. Then the lone trumpet played the triumphant Voltaire as we walked down the center aisle again, this time, legally married. The guests were all still applauding as we went, followed by my mother…Colin’s and my mother and our legal daughter. The lack of physical appearing age difference was still a little striking to me, but she was our daughter now.

Once at the end of the aisle, Mom grabbed me, still shedding tears of happiness. “This is all I ever dreamed of. You’re happy and I know you are.”

Gabriella hugged her father and I heard her whisper to Colin. “I’m so happy for you, Daddy.” She looked at me. “Welcome to our family, but you were family already, now it’s legally true.”

Others were beginning to say their congratulations, but Mom and Gabriella told them to stop and do it later. Then Mom pointed to the platform.

“Back up there. We’ve photos to make.” Mom instructed.

My eyes widened. “We had the whole thing photographed!”

Gabriella nodded. “Yes, but now there will be posed photos taken of you and Colin, you and your mother, me and Colin and us all together. Now, stop wasting time and do it.” She grinned waving us back.

Mom and Gabriella were right, it didn’t take long. We didn’t have that big a wedding party. People began milling around and talking as the drinks were served and little things passed on trays to eat. They came to Wentworth Manor and we did serve the best of everything. Colin grabbed me as we were stepping down from the platform and brought me to him. He hugged me tight.

“My husband.” He smiled and kissed me.

“Yes, I am. And you’re mine.” I chuckled kissing him. “It’s official now,” I said holding up my finger with the wedding ring.

He shook his head elated. “I just love saying it! My husband!” He was practically giddy!

The weather was great, the bugs under control and we sat to eat. Knowing Colin’s appetite, he would do it a lot tonight. The conversation was easy and we had guests we knew and liked, but I did notice servers I didn’t know. I dismissed them as they were bringing food and more drinks. I looked at Colin, he had sensed Brett when he was close and he showed no reaction now. Again, I dismissed it.

The sun began setting and we took the celebration inside the ballroom and one more time, they played the song by Peter Grundy. The title was "You Said Forever." Waltzes may be boring to some, but looking at him and gazed lovingly at me, I never felt uneasy and I enjoy moving with him. We had danced many times, but it was always heartfelt and meaningful. There weren’t that many songs about a man that was a male vampire in love with a man!

Then the mood changed and more modern music played and dancing began that was a little more energetic. Conversations got louder until the wedding cake was brought in and everyone smiled. It was elegant and white, but the inside was both chocolate and vanilla. But not any chocolate or vanilla. Only the best. There were tiny blue roses made from icing on the white. There were platforms of the big cake on columns and the top had two grooms that were facing each other as if taking vows or just loving each other. The cake was cut by Colin and me, we fed each other and pieces of cake distributed to everyone. People were getting a little loud as drinks had their effects.

It was nearly eleven o’clock when a man came up behind Colin and me. “Do not move. There is a gun right over Devon’s heart and I will fire.”

Colin started to turn but stopped as he saw the gun. “What do you want?”

“Know, there will be deaths if you refuse. Starting with Mrs. McGee and Gabriella Wentworth. You will come with me quietly and do what I say.” The man said.

He wasn’t a vampire, or at least he was like Colin because he had been out in the daytime, but Colin would have sensed if he were a vampire.

“Come with me quietly.” He pushed me slightly forward and I began to walk where he was directing me. Colin with me. “You aren’t surprised to see someone do this, are you?” The man asked.

Colin shook his head. “It makes sense. You would do this when people were freer to come and go and after a lot of drinks and things would be more chaotic and could do this easier.”

The man nodded. “Well thought out. And you know why I’m here.”

I smiled at a passing worker not giving away anything was wrong. “We know why, but not who is behind it.”

The man nodded. “You will soon.”

Once we were outside, I felt a sharp prick to my neck. It was a needle.

“We can’t have you aware of where we’re going and how long it will take to get there.” The man explained and did the same to Colin.

I had moments of gaining consciousness, but another prick and I was gone again. The man was right, I had no idea where we were or how long it took to get here. Wherever here was. Groggy, I sat up from where I was lying on the floor and looked around. Colin! “Colin!” The room was dark with only a little light shining. I saw him crouching in a corner of the room facing away from me. “Colin! Are you alright?”

“I live,” Colin said in a strange voice, raspy and he didn’t turn around.

I started coming over to him.

“No!” He said quickly, urgently. “Don’t come over here.” His face turned a little and saw a pale face. “I’m hideous. I’m dangerous!”

My heart sunk. He was a vampire. I wasn’t afraid of him, but he looked…so sick. “Aw, Colin,” I said sadly. I hurt for him. “Whose doing this?” I asked, my heart breaking more. “Why are they doing this?”

“We are.” A voice said through a speaker. “Under my direction.”

I turned toward the speaker, looking for the source. There were no windows, only a door. It wasn’t like the interrogation room at Holms Laboratories which was clean. This room had what looked like years of dirt that accumulated after never being cleaned much. “Why?”

“If you don’t mind, I’ll ask the questions.” The voice came again, but I heard a slight accent. It was a Southern accent, but more…if you can imagine that. There was also a hint of something else. European? German?

I frowned. “Actually, I do mind. You don’t know what you’re doing. Why kidnap us?”

The voice chuckled. “You are unique, Mr. McGee…or is it Wentworth? You survived an attack, you didn’t turn and you didn’t die. Is there something about you that kept Colin…more human?”

“No,” I said. “It’s medical. He takes a medication.”

“Medicine? What medicine?”

“I could show you, but Colin is a vampire.” I looked over at Colin who was shaking now. “He will be again. How long have we been out?”

“About twenty hours.”

I was concerned now because Colin hadn’t taken his serum yet that night of the wedding yet. My mind did some calculations. Colin still hid his face from me.

“If Colin doesn’t get the medication once a day, he will be a vampire again,” I said cautiously getting up and going over to Colin as I knelt beside him. “He’s changing now.”

“I began noticing that a few hours ago.” The voice said. “Does he still hunt? Will he kill? Would he kill you?”

“Is this a game?” I shouted angrily at nothing. “He never killed a man, but you’re not offering a choice. You are making him have no option. How long can a vampire go without blood?”

“Theoretically, indefinitely, but the desire is so great, he’ll willingly walk into the sunlight and burn rather than resist feeding.”

“This is just torture.” I accused. “It’s sadistic!”

“Perhaps.” The voice said. “But this is also a test. You have something in your blood. It makes you stink.”

That “disflavor” George had given me. My mother and I did take that. But again, it only lasted a little while. This…creature could still smell it. Would Colin?

“His need will grow to a point that he will no longer care about the way you smell or even how it tastes. He will feed.”

I nodded, but my mind reached a quick decision. “Fine.” I reached out and touched Colin’s head, which he pulled away. “Colin. I am your husband. Look at me.”

Colin slowly raised his eyes. What I saw, was again pain. Not because of the serum, but this was a pain he felt emotionally. “I don’t want to hurt you.” He had enough serum in his body, that he started shedding a tear. “I never want to hurt you.”

I nodded. “And you never have or will, I know that.” I swallowed because what I would say next, he would reject. “Bite me.”

Colin’s eyes grew as he pulled away completely in the corner. “NO!! I won’t do that! I’ll never do that!”

I closed the distance between us. He couldn’t back up any further. “Listen to me! We’ve never discussed this, but I am not a vampire. We discussed how neither of us knows what the future holds. You told me you could be killed. I, of course, will die. In forty or fifty years, I will die.” I reached out to him. “I love you, Colin. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you love me. You vowed to protect me, just as I vowed to protect you. What will you do after I die?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know.”

I shook my head. “Yes, you do. What were you thinking of doing when I die?”

Colin thought and his face showed agony. “I’ll die, too.” He said weakly. “I’ll stop the serum and then perhaps sit and wait for the sun to come up. I told you, I can’t live without you.”

I smiled as I ran a hand over his face. “Okay. When I wasn’t turned by Brett, I was disappointed.”

“What!?” Colin gasped. “I don’t want that life for you!”

“And it won’t be that life!” I shouted. “But there are dangers that have nothing to do with being a vampire. There are cancers and other diseases I can get. I could die next year! I never want you to suffer by my death. When Brett bit you and Gabriella, it was to torture you and make you miserable. You were raped! You had no choice. And he did again to you when he bit Gabriella. That wasn't desired or even hunger, it was about power! I’m giving myself to you. If you do it, bite me, it won’t be to torture or rape, but you’ll be doing it out of love. That’s different right there! If you do, it will satisfy the thirst hunger now. When I am a vampire, you won't kill me for blood when the hunger returns. You're saving my life.”

Colin shook his head. “I…I can’t.”

“You can’t? Or you won’t?” I waved back to the speaker. “Whoever is in there is doing this to see what you’ll do. How bad will the desire to take my blood be? I’m taking that out of the picture. It’s my choice, Colin. I think we both knew this was going to happen.”

Colin was shaking his head, but it was less…adamant. “I don’t want you to suffer, either.”

I nodded. “I won’t. And I don't want you to suffer.” I smiled. “Eventually, we will be free from…” I looked around. “…wherever we are. You’ll take the serum again, so will I. This way, I’ll be there forever, with you.” I looked at the ring he gave me after he proposed. “In here, is your promise to love me forever. If you do this, our chances are greater you can do that.” I waved at the speaker and where the voice had come from. “I don’t give a damn what he wants. I want you. You’re my husband. I love you. This is my choice. Bite me!”

Colin heard me and began weakening. “I’m not ready yet.” He opened his mouth. The fangs had not quite descended enough.

“And I probably stink.” I chuckled. “That’s what the disflavor is supposed to do. He never said it wouldn’t work for you, just smell and taste bad.” I leaned in kissing him. “Once done, the desire to do it will be gone. You will no longer feel the uncontrollable urge. You won’t be giving me that nightmare life. When you’re ready. I want you, Colin. You will bite me.”

It only took a few more minutes to an hour and then Colin moved toward me. “It’s controllable now.”

I nodded. “Just don’t…rip my throat open.”

Colin frowned as he came closer. “I love you, Devon.” He slowly opened his mouth and I did see his fangs had descended. Very gently, he put his mouth to my neck kissing it. There was love in that kiss, I felt the slow and gentle prick that really didn’t hurt that much. I again felt the rush as the venom came into my system. My arms came around him as I pulled him closer and felt him take blood from me. The venom again caused my blood to rush to ease his feeding and I got an erection again. I would have loved to have had sex with Colin, but we’d given whoever had orchestrated this enough to watch. Slowly Colin drank more and I felt the venom begin to do its job. Only this time, it was Colin’s venom, not some strange vampire and I welcomed it. He was giving me him. He gently laid us on the floor and continued to take the blood. I felt my heart beat slower. Colin finally stopped and looked at me and I saw what he’d done was hurting him. I put my hand on his face and lovingly ran my fingers in his hair as the tears would not come now, but he said lovingly. “I love you, Devon. I never wanted to do this.”

I nodded with a smile. “It was going to happen, we knew that.” I kissed him gently. “But you did it out of love. That makes it special.” I felt my heart slow even more, and then…stopped. “I hope it didn’t taste too bad.”

Colin shrugged. “Well…it wasn’t good, but not too bad.” He smiled.

“So, you’re not immune.” The voice said.

I sat up. “I never was. You said I might.” I said. “I told you, it’s medical. It can be controlled. So, if you want, you can send Colin and me out in the sun. I still don’t understand what you want or why you did this.”

I heard the door open. Looking, I saw a man in his late twenties or early thirties. Blonde. Poor man. “I am, as far as I know, the oldest vampire in America. I came over as a young man when there weren’t that many colonies. New Amsterdam was what they called New York then. It was the mid-1600s. I was created by a man that came over but died a few hundred years ago. Life was horrible. I was lonely and I created others. Later, I became more choosy about who I brought over to our side. There were some when I had made vampires earlier, that were…less than moral.”

“But I was made in 1851,” Colin said.

“But you said you never killed.” The man pointed out. “Neither have I. There was plenty of game back then and feeding wasn’t too hard. An animal is there to provide men with food, does it matter that we only need the blood, not the flesh?” He smiled looking at us. “My name is Burke. I saw your broadcasts and wanted to know about you.” He said to Colin. “I was confused when I saw your records. The records look correct. You forgot something. Your parents’ records could not be verified.”

Colin shrugged. “It’s difficult to do. I should have put that I was a foundling.”

Burke smiled. “That might have been better.”

I nodded. “Okay, so you’re not evil?”

Burke gave a shrugging nod. “No more than most other men.”

“How many are there? Vampires?” Colin asked.

Burke motioned for us to follow him. What I hadn’t expected was a clean and tidy space. Outside the room, while not palatial, it was comfortable. He led us to a table. “There are thousands. There thousands more in other countries. There are vampire cells everywhere.” He motioned for us to sit at the table long wooden table. On the table were goblets. “I got the feeling when I saw you, that you would be a good addition to the American cell.” He smiled at me. “But I admit, I didn’t expect you to willingly give yourself to Colin.”

I frowned. “Why? I’m sure there were others that have fallen in love and given themselves to vampires, or vice-versa.”

He shook his head. “There is one thing that a vampire needs. Blood. A vampire wakes, seeks prey and then goes back to get out of the sun. I found this…” he indicated the surroundings. “…series of caves where I could stay up a little longer. That was hard. I had a limited amount of time to look for them. Once I found them, I began building this.” He waved at the room. “Since then, I have expanded these rooms. With the addition of others, we built more. Now, I’m seeking others to help look for hunter vampires who are feeding on humans and, if not convincing them to stop feeding on people, I’ve illuminated many.”

“You’re killing vampires?” Colin asked a little surprised.

“They aren’t human anymore. They’re predators. A danger to us.” Burke corrected. He smiled at me. “You’re new and probably not ready to feed.” He smiled at Colin. “I regret you did that to Devon, but I need your help. We need to look for them and do something. You and Devon are perfect because you have backgrounds.” He smiled. “You live in the sun!”

Colin nodded. “I can’t now.”

Burke nodded. “But you will again.” He brought out Colin’s phone. “Call…whoever you need to. Tell them you’re alright and aren’t being kept against your will. Not anymore. With the addition of Devon, maybe we can stop more of us from killing people.” He held up a goblet. “This is blood is of a special flock of sheep. I’ve managed to breed some that have excellent blood. Many animals taste sort of gamy, but this is quite good.”

Colin nodded as he sipped and his eyebrows rose. “This is good.”

Burke grinned at me. “It’s probably too soon for you to enjoy it, but when you do get the hunger, you’ll appreciate it.”

That’s when the man that had taken us came in the room. “I’ve got the room ready for…” he looked at us. “…our guests.”

Burke nodded. “This is Taylor. He’s my right-hand man.”

“He’s human,” I said.

Burke nodded. “Things need to be done outside in the daylight. I have him and some others here to do a lot of those things.”

Taylor nodded. “I’m sorry if I scared you, but I didn’t know how else to get you here.”

“You’re not being kept?” Colin asked.

Taylor, who was a dark headed man in his early forties, shook his head. “No, I work here on purpose. My wife was a victim of one of the hunter vampires.”

I frowned. “Why not just ask us?”

“We needed to know if we could trust you,” Taylor said.

“Your choosing to become a vampire was your choice,” Burke said carefully.

“But you didn’t give me a choice,” Colin said. “You put Devon and me in a room where, after I turned had only the option of feeding off him.”

Burke nodded. “I was going to stop you.”

“So, where are we?” I asked.

“In the Ozark National Forest near the Oklahoma border. The Northwest part of Arkansas.” Burke said. “Believe me, Devon. I would have stopped him, but you took that option away yourself.”

I shook my head. “I knew it was coming. Sooner or later I would be turned. As I said, I don’t want to hurt Colin. I would if I died. I was made from love, so…it’s not that terrible.”

Colin grunted miserably. “Wait until you feel the serum now.”

Burke smiled. “This serum works for every vampire?”

Colin shrugged. “It has so far.” He activated his phone and frowned. “No bars. You don’t have WiFi.”

Burke looked a little embarrassed. “We don’t have that much technology down here.” He motioned to the far side of the room. “We do have regular phones.”

Colin nodded. “You need an upgrade.” He got up and went to the phone and he waved at me. “Our mother is probably beside herself. You’ll need to speak to her.”

I nodded. “But don’t say a word about me becoming a vampire.”

Colin nodded and dialed.

“Hello?” George said hesitantly. First, no one really knew his private line and his caller ID would have said it was unknown.

“First,” Colin said immediately. “Devon and I are fine.”

“Oh, thank GOD!!” George said with relief. “You’ve been gone for three days!”

Colin nodded, but George couldn’t see it. “I know. We’ve made contact with the others…at least one of them.”

“Where are you?” George asked.

Colin waved at Burke. “Where exactly are we?”

Burke nodded and went to a shelf and brought a map. “Here.”

“I’ll need some serum,” Colin said. “For me and…don't tell Mrs. McGee…Devon will need some, too.”

“He was turned!?” George balked.

“By me,” Colin admitted. “It’s complicated. I’ll give you the location and you and the team need to get here and bring things to make more.” He smiled at Burke. “We have a new friend.”

 

The place was underground. Burke and his friends had built quite a lot of underground space to live and work. Other than the phone, a few TVs and electricity, that was it. They did have running water. Colin and I were led to a room that we could sleep. Colin sat on the side of the little double bed as he scratched his head without looking at me.

“I really hadn’t thought about a life without you, Devon,” Colin said quietly as he removed his shirt. “I meant what I said. We didn’t know what the future has for either of us, but I knew, if you died, I’d die.” He looked at me. “I never wanted this for you.”

I sat beside him. “I wanted a life with you. The idea that I would die and you would just keep going…that bothered me.” I put my arms around him. “Now, I’ll be thirty for a while.” I grinned. “I would have outgrown you if I hadn’t been turned. Forty, then fifty…sixty.”

Colin smiled. “And I would love you all those years.” He assured kissing me.

“And you still can!” Then I brightened. “Now I get to pig out, too!!”

Colin sat back a bit but grinned. “Oh, so this was the real motivation! You just wanted to eat more!”

“And not gain weight? Sure!” I shrugged is I pushed him back on the bed. “It’s a good thing I was working out before the wedding, at least I’ll be in good shape,” I said straddling him, then stopped as I felt something in me. This taste came in my mouth.

“You’re feeling it, aren’t you? The beginnings of the hunger.” Colin asked suddenly concerned. He gently moved me off of him. “I’ll be right back.”

While he was gone, I felt something else. My mouth felt odd. Running my tongue over my teeth, I felt the fangs had descended. I looked around the room for a mirror. There was one on the wall I went to and opened my mouth and saw the reflection of the teeth that had grown. Colin came back into the room. “The fangs came pretty fast.”

Colin nodded. “And will retract when not hungry.” He opened his mouth so I could see his teeth looked like they always did before. He had not a simple goblet of blood, but a big jar and a goblet. Drinking my blood, that goblet completed the needed amount. “You need a large quantity. Believe me, a little isn’t enough. You can drink little amounts later, but for now…” He poured some blood in the goblet and handed it to me.

The idea that I was drinking blood sort of repulsed me in my mind. Then I brought the goblet toward my face. The smell…it was…fragrant. The smell of a good steak that had been cooked to perfection! Sweet. That fueled my desire for it. I took a sip. Now, the taste was awesome, I used the analogy of a steak. It didn’t really taste like a steak, more like a steak plus! It had a sweet flavor and I drained the goblet and held the goblet out for more. Colin chucked and poured again. It took a few goblets of blood and…it was like you had a really good meal and was full. “That was amazing!”

Colin nodded. “Burke wasn’t kidding. Those sheep make some good blood. It’s even better when it comes from a warm body.”

I put the goblet down and walked closer to Colin. “Now.” I grinned. “We didn’t have our wedding night.”

Colin backed up grinning. “We’ve had many nights. We have had days and other times.” He smiled as the back of his legs hit the bed.

“Yes, but we need to make love as husbands,” I said running my hands over his chest and began unbuttoning his shirt. “You had sex when a vampire before. Now, we’re going to make love, as vampires.”

Colin smiled and pulled my shirt out. “We might take a shower first. It’s been a few days.”

I nodded taking his hand. “Where’s the shower?”

“I’m glad you don’t have the overwhelming desire for blood. This is different.” Colin said as he looked. He pointed to a door that was cracked open in the room we were to share. “I think there’s a bathroom there.”

“Let’s go, husband.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“You put Devon and I in a room where, after I turned had only the option of feeding off him.” This should be ‘me.’ If you take away the ‘Devon and,’ you wouldn’t say ‘You put I in a room…’

 

In the Ozark National Forest near the Oklahoma boarder. Border.

 

Contact! It worked even faster than they expected. And it sounds like he knows of others…

Link to comment

The pain of outliving a spouse is one of the worst types of pain. Mom is gonna have a fit when she finds out! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 Well that's one way to ruin a good wedding... All Devon's fault too. Why didn't he say anything when he noticed staff out of place. 
 It didn't surprise me when he said he wanted to be turned by Brett. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

He wanted to be turned.  Brett was not considered by Devon, but he was disappointed when he wasn't  Colin did it on purpose and in love.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I was and wasn't expecting that. I'm glad Burke isn't evil. But I still think he could have approached them in a different manner!  But I'm so glad Colin won't be left alone now. And Mom is gonna have a serious fit. Like volcanic!!  :funny:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A strange end to the wedding.....police must be all over the place by now! But most importantly, our guys are good, better than before in fact. For whatever weird prodding, they've taken the next step. One that had been anticipated by quite a few of us, I reckon. 

Btw. In one of the first paragrahs it seems that the autocorrect pulled a fast one over you! I would assume the trumpeteer played the "Trumpet Voluntary" and not a 'triumphant Voltaire'!  (End of wisecracking)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Honestly, I'm confused. You described the mansion as a fortress with security that would seem to rival Fort Knox. Yet, security was easily breached. Devon and Colin were forcefully abducted and whisked off the estate grounds with no one the wiser. Security details are nowhere to be found. I take it the cameras caught nothing (were there even cameras around?). I mean, really? Were the guards all asleep, playing cards, or were they taken out of the equation? How did the abductors even managed to get away? Was there a getaway vehicle? If there was one, didn't anybody notice the hosts of a VERY large party being taken away? And no one bothered to follow? I surely must be missing something here, because from the entire abduction scene to their awakening in some holding cell, and then the easy acceptance of it all by D and C, seems rather contrived. 

Edited by rewski84
  • Like 1
Link to comment

It was on purpose.  They knew that whoever was out there would strike when the security was not as strict.  When they were kidnapped, they went, knowing what might happen.  It was on purpose.  They passed a person on the way out and could have said something, but didn't.  It was planned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

to sit at the table long wooden table - to sit at the long wooden table

and then…stopped - and then…stop. agreement of verb tense.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..