Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,958 Words
  • 3,228 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 43. Chapter 43

Seth was back in the vineyard and I was dividing my time between paperwork and our growing boys. I found I liked that the winery was doing great under the control of Helen. Not having to worry about the inventory now made my time free more. So, I began teaching more. Dennis was catching on quickly and Toby was a sponge soaking everything in. Toby already knew how to spell most simple things. And Dennis was always watching as I showed Toby and he was learning, too.

Christian and I made arrangements for a time when we’d start the doorway. It was a little less than a week when he handed back the original pages I’d given to be copied to the signs. During these times Christian kept me up on what Dr. Warren had found and theorized.

“But he told me…” Christian said. “There’s something new in my blood.”

“New?” I asked, listening more intently. “A new little creature?”

Christian shrugged. “I don’t know.” He pulled a drawing of the “new” thing in Christian’s blood. “Of course all my old blood is gone bad from air and time, but this is what he said wasn’t in there before I was struck by Jean Claude. Only now Dr. Warren says there a lot more.”

That alarmed me. “More? They’re multiplying? Are they harming you?”

Christian shook his head. “I don’t think so. According to Dr. Warren, they attack whatever gets in my blood. They’re like my little warriors now.”

“They are?”

Christian nodded. “He’s introduced several other little creatures into a little of my blood which the new little warriors attack. Getting rid of them. They eat them.”

I smiled. “It did? What sort of creatures did he give to your blood?”

Christian chuckled and leaned in to say quietly. “Now, it was my blood, not me, understand? But he have me things like colds, the pox and even a strain of those little creatures that got the man sick after having sex that made him ill afterwards.”

I nodded smiling when he said that. “Have you even caught a cold since I gave you this fruit juice?”

Christian thought, but shook his head. “Well, it wasn’t that long ago. I just assume I’ve not gotten near someone that had a cold.”

“But you have, my boy!” We heard Demetrius said cheerfully as he stepped out of a wall again.

“Hi, Demetrius!” I almost shouted, jumping up and hugged the man.

“Hello, former godson!” Demetrius greeted back returning the hug. “And my former godson’s brother!”

Christian rolled his eyes at the greeting, but smiled. “Good to see you, Demetrius.” Then he frowned. “So, I can’t catch a cold?”

Demetrius shook his head. “Not for a while. The juice of the fruit will have destroyed any and all attackers in your body, Christian. Erik’s blood gave the sample to follow as you two have the same blood kind, but it will breakdown in time, but still be active a while. Ten or twenty years.”

“Years!?” I gaped. “He’s not catching a cold or anything for ten or twenty years?”

Demetrius smiled. “He won’t.”

“And there is no more of this juice?” I asked.

“No.” But he grinned. “But you have it right there.” He pointed to Christian. “They are in his blood.”

I shook my head. “Sure, but it’s in his blood. How do we get these things out?”

Christian wondered, too. “Besides, Dr. Warren said that my blood and another man got in fight….whatever. My blood didn’t like his or his didn’t like mine.” Christian said.

Demetrius nodded. “Because you two had blood of different kinds.” He sighed sitting with us. “How many different kinds of blood do you think there are?”

Christian looked at me questioning, but I had no answers. “I have no idea.” I admitted.

“Well, you have kind 1, since yours was the first identified. There are others that have kind 2. There are some that have both 1 and 2. And there is kind 3. And in kinds 1, 2 and 3, including 1 and 2. There those that will be different. Some have things that attack. Some don’t. There are other kinds, but…” he shook his head. “That’s a little ahead of why I’m here. There are other men that have knowledge that could help you.”

“Who?” Christian and I asked at the same time.

Demetrius gave a doubtful look. “Well, he’s sort of north of you, Erik.”

“North?” I asked. “There are only a few towns north of us.”

Demetrius nodded. “That are parts of Blethos, yes. This man isn’t in any of those. He’s a Creid.”

Christian’s mouth dropped open in shock and I was sure mine was.

“A Creid!?” I balked. “They’re savages, barbarians! You’re saying they have more medical knowledge than we do?”

Demetrius nodded. “On this point? Yes.” Then he frowned. “And who told you they were savages? The only ones you’ve seen were with King Mordor. You’re going to base your opinion solely on what you saw that one time?”

I had to stop and think. I remember King Mordor. This huge bear of a man…then shuddered…naked. Not something I care to do again, in spite of my preferring the male form. “I guess I’ve just always been told and I believed it.” He was male, but he was heavy and a bit too hairy.

Christian shook his head. “We had them for dinner once in A’Dore…” he said grimacing. “Mom and Dad had them many years ago. I remember Mom saying Mordor disgusted her. Wiping his mouth on his sleeve and slurping…”

“So because he uses his sleeve or even the back of his hand makes the difference?” Demetrius asked. He shrugged. “When it comes down to it, if Len Na strikes and you aren’t ready…” Demetrius shook his head again. “So, he’s got bad manners, but there is a knowledge there.”

I nodded. “I get it.” Then shrugged. “We’ll just have to go to the Creid capital. I’ll talk to Mordor.” I frowned. “I hope I can forget what I saw.”

“Just be happy if he bathes.” Demetrius grinned remembering the visit well. “But it isn’t Mordor the one you need. Ryan is.”

I grinned. “Ryan? He’s a doctor?”

Demetrius shrugged a nod. “Sort of…his father was. Ryan is learning how to do it, but his father showed him what you need to know.”

“How old is he?” Christian asked.

Demetrius shrugged. “Late twenties?”

I shrugged. “About Seth’s and my age!” I smiled.

Demetrius grinned. “And you should get along famously.”

“How do I tell Seth?” I grimaced at the idea.

“No.” Christian shook his head standing. “No, you don’t go without me!” He stood next to me. “No way in hell.”

I chuckled. “Oh really?” I folded my arms over my chest. “And how are you going to do that? You’re supposed to be a thousand miles away! And you are!”

“Well you can’t go alone!” Christian stated simply. “I don’t care what Demetrius said. They earned their reputations as savages and barbarians for a thousand years. You have an escort or you don’t go.” He emphasized each word in the last sentence with his finger jabbing me on the chest.

I grinned and hugged him. “I love you, too, Christian.” I patted him on the chest. “Don’t worry, we have guards at the house now thanks to Sam. I’ll ask Quaid. He and another man can go with me.”

Christian nodded. “See that you do. Speak to me before you leave and whenever you get back.” He told me sternly.

“I promise.” I said grinning.

Christian nodded, but still not happy. “I love you, too, Erik. I’m not losing you. I won’t!” He hugged me hard and then he turned to Demetrius. “Wait a minute. You know they have knowledge. You even know what it is, I’ll bet. Why not just tell us?”

Demetrius frowned. “So, I do all the work. You do nothing, but reap the reward?” Demetrius shook his head. “How are you going to survive when we’re gone?” He sighed sadly. “Men are nothing but little boys. They fight. Why? If they never try to work out differences, there will be no peace. You have got to get along.” He looked at Christian and me. “If you don’t learn to get along…I’m not saying you have to like them, but work with them. Stop seeing with your eyes. Don’t judge because of bad manners or even how they appear. A man is a man. Inside, you are all the same. Until you see that, you won’t have a chance at a future and Len Na wins.”

I nodded. “He’s right.” I said to Christian. “We have to be the ones to breech the gap.” I took a deep breath and then blew it out resolutely. “I will be the one. I’m from A’Dore, but married a man from Blethos and now from Blethos. Who better than me?”

Christian hugged me again, only this time he didn’t let go. He was really worried about how I’d be received. “Just be careful, please.”

I smiled at my brother. The concern was clear in his eyes. “I will be. I promise, but we need whatever they know to defeat Len Na.” Putting my face next to Christian’s. “I dearly love you, Christian.”

Christian nodded patting my cheek. “As much as I do you. You saved my life, but now I can’t even protect you. I feel helpless.”

I nodded. “Now imagine how Seth is going to react.” I chuckled, but not looking forward to telling him and then I brightened. “I’ll do it in the bath tonight.”

Christian chuckled. “Spare me details, but when he’s the most relaxed. That’s when you should tell him.”

 

Back through the doorway, I went downstairs to find Seth rocking Dennis and singing softly to our son. Toby was asleep in bed.

I put my arm around my husband. “This is a nice image.” I whispered to Seth who looked at me smiling.

“How’d it go with Christian?” Seth asked in a whisper getting up and putting Dennis down in his own bed and covering him up. Dennis had a busy day.

“Well, they are starting the school for the deaf and blind in A’Dore. I got the extra copies to use and to send with Owen.” I said taking Seth’s hand and we left our sons’ room leaving the door cracked in case of “monsters.” We had a few Seth and I had to chase away. “But I’ll tell you later about some other things. Right now, I want you. Then we take a nice hot bath.”

Seth frowned and stopped sensing what I was up to. “You’re starting something I won’t like. I know you.”

I nodded. “I am, but for right now, it’s just us.” I said kissing him deeply, consuming running my hands over his arms and sides. “Let’s make love.”

Seth chuckled. “We always do.”

“I’ll light the hot water heater.”

 

We did make love a couple of times and then we went in the steamy water I looked at Seth. He was more handsome now than when I first saw him. His hard work had chiseled his body to near perfection to me, but now he was seasoning more. I felt the urges in me renew and we’d made love a few minutes ago!

“So, what is it?” Seth asked sourly from the other side of the tub.

“I am going to see King Mordor of the Creids.”

Now Seth sat up instantly alarmed. “No! They will kill you!”

I held my hand up. “I don’t think so.” I shook my head. “I’m told they know something we can use to defeat these little creatures Len Na will send us. Only, now they are in Christian’s blood and multiplying. They know how to get them out. These new things in Christian’s blood can save us. They know how to get them out.”

“They only thing the Creids know about blood is how to spill it. They’re savages!” Seth’s voice was raised. “Who told you they could?”

“Demetrius.”

Now Seth sat back fuming as he nodded. “Demetrius said.” He looked at me angrily. “Those beings…whatever they are….Demetrius, Dara, Lukus and now Len Na…have been nothing but trouble.”

I knew he’d see the bad. “Not all of them, Seth.” I shook my head and crossed the distance to him. “We are together because of them, Ella and Christian, we have this house and boys…”

Seth nodded still angry. “And I lost my mother due to what they told Arthur! We’re like playthings, used by them to amuse themselves!” He spat.

I grimaced a little. “Honey, I had a problem when Demetrius told us to go to the Creids, but he’s right. They are men just like we are.”

“They are not a thing like us!” Seth shouted in defiance.

“How many have you met, Seth?” I asked firmly.

“None, thank god.”

“So, how do you know?” I asked. “I only know because of one, that’s King Mordor. And we never really met. We’re basing our opinion on what we’ve been told.” I sighed putting my head against Seth’s. “Please, baby, I’ve got to do this. If we’re going to have peace, we have got to reach out to them.”

Seth nodded. “Then I go with you!”

I chuckled bumping my head gently to his. “I’d love for you to, but we have two little boys. You’ve got to stay here.”

“There’s Grace and Doris!” Seth said. “We can leave them with Ella!”

I sighed again. “We’ll have to tell Grace and Doris where they are? Where I went and why and if they stay with Ella and Christian, how? No, I go with Quaid and maybe one or two of the other guards.”

Seth frowned, but was seeing the logic. “This really stinks.” He muttered.

“Yea, it does.” I shrugged. “This may be a good thing, you don’t know.”

Seth pulled me closer. “I really hate this.”

“I’ll be alright.” I assured again pulling his face toward me kissing him tenderly and lovingly. “I love you. I promise I’ll be careful.” I grinned. “King Mordor won’t dare hurt me. He’d have all Blethos’ and A’Dore’s troops at his throat!”

Seth nodded. “After I get through with him, maybe there won’t be a need for the other troops.”

 

The next morning we saw the usual four guards at breakfast. They greeted us friendly as Seth and I got our boys ready for their breakfast. Dennis picked up the spoon he used and began banging it on the table.

I sat at the table and began. “Quaid, since you’re in charge. I have a request.”

Quaid nodded. “Certainly.” He said readily.

Seth growled fixing Toby to get ready for his breakfast. “Wait until you hear it first.”

I smiled at Seth, but looked at Quaid. “We need to speak to someone about help with a problem.” I explained about the little creatures and what dangers we as humans were facing. “And I was told we can use the help of a man named Ryan.” Then I paused. “He’s a Creid.”

There were forks dropped, men sat back as a couple of chairs scrapped the floor as not one of them was believing what I’d said.

“That’s crazy!” Darrin said instantly.

“They’re savages!” Quaid said as everyone else had.

“You can’t be serious.” Owen gapped.

I held my hand up. “Guys! I’m going.” I said firmly. “Now, I know how to get there, but my husband insists I take some of you with me. This is very, very important, gentlemen. I’ve got to go.”

Quaid was almost speechless, but then he nodded. “Then, I’m going with you. No question.”

“And me, too!” Darrin said.

“Count me in.” Owen said.

I smiled at them. “Thank you, but this isn’t a war party, so I’ll need just a couple of men, so you decide. We’re not looking for a fight, but we need to see them…one man in particular. We go at the end of the week. Someone has to stay here and protect the house.” I said touching the head of Dennis. “And our boys.”

Quaid nodded as they all stood. “Count on us, Sire.” Then they all pounded their chests over their hearts and saluted with their right hands extended out pledging their hearts and loyalty.

I grinned as he used that title on purpose and the salute to show loyalty. “Thanks.”

Dennis looked up at me, smiled that angelic smile and said. “Juice!”

I smiled kissing Dennis on the head and bowed. “I serve and obey.” I turned to get his juice as Dennis laughed.

“Dad funny.” Dennis said to Seth.

Seth frowned. “I intend for him to stay that way.” He said seriously.

I touched Seth on the shoulder. “I’ll be okay.” I assured taking his hand, letting our hands part reluctantly before I went to get the juice. "I promise."

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The last meeting with the Creids wasn’t very friendly. But at least they’ve seem Eric before. It should be an interesting time.

 

I was kind of hoping the Tree of Life juice would stay effective much longer. I was wondering how you would deal with a King Christian who outlived his wife and his children – and maybe even his grandchildren and great grandchildren! Kind of like a reverse of the Aragorn & Arwen tale. ;-)

Link to comment
On 02/27/2017 07:07 PM, droughtquake said:

The last meeting with the Creids wasn’t very friendly. But at least they’ve seem Eric before. It should be an interesting time.

 

I was kind of hoping the Tree of Life juice would stay effective much longer. I was wondering how you would deal with a King Christian who outlived his wife and his children – and maybe even his grandchildren and great grandchildren! Kind of like a reverse of the Aragorn & Arwen tale. ;-)

Ah, but King Mordor only heard a voice, he never saw Erik. Like Demetrius said, the effects only last a little while. It's assured Christian won't get sick for a while, but he will die eventually. And with the passing of this new immunity, his wife and children, Erik, Seth and all the citizens will be protected a little better, a little longer.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..