Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,570 Words
  • 4,181 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 4. Chapter 4 Zeke and Gabe

“This may take a while,” I said as I sat, Seth sitting next to me. I mean, right next to me. No air between us.

 

“We have time,” Samuel said sitting, too, ready to listen.

Telling him, he listened for the hour or more we told him what we knew. He never interrupted, listening intently. Something he’d learned to do since becoming king. Then when we were done he sat forward with a sigh.

“They knew this was happening?” Samuel asked. “But did nothing to stop it.”

“From what I understand, they didn’t because Thorne could have changed his mind.” I thought. “At the last minute, gone back and took whatever the trigger was off.”

Samuel nodded sadly, adding softly. “But he didn’t. Mother died.”

Seth got up and walked to Samuel. “People do stupid things, for stupid reasons.” Then he smiled weakly. “If it hadn’t happened, you may be married to someone else. I won’t have met Erik. We won’t have married the ones we chose. We both have good things now.”

Samuel frowned. “We do.” He nodded. “Is it fate?”

“Fate? Destiny? I don’t believe in those things.” I said. “Our choices shape our lives. I love what we have now. How it got here, I don’t claim to understand or want to explain. I’m just glad we have it.”

Seth smiled at me nodding. “Right. “

Samuel sighed with a shrug. “Right.” He took a deep breath and got up. “No use wasting time trying to figure it out. It is.”

“Now, you have a wife you clearly love to go to and assure her you’re fine,” I said reminding him.

“And our father,” Seth said taking my hand. “And I mean, our father.” He said to me.

 

Getting back in the large room where Terry sat with a sleeping Michael and Alex. Terry gave Michael to Alex and rushed to her husband, never asking him anything, just glad he was alive and here.

Alex got up, put Michael down in the chair he’d been in that was still warm from Alex’s body heat. He walked over hugging all three of us in one embrace. “You’re okay.” He sighed with relief. “My boys.”

“We’re fine, Dad,” Samuel said softly. “We just….had some things we needed to discuss first. We didn’t mean to worry you.”

“It was Deena Thorne,” Seth told his father.

Alex sighed and hung his head, and shook it. “It makes sense.”

“I should have been more strict with her,” I grumbled.

“Don’t do that, Erik,” Alex said quietly. “You were merciful. Don’t question your actions then and hold yourself responsible for what she’s done now.”

“Still…” I said.

“Well, I could have taken the judgment call,” Seth argued. “But I knew you’d be more reasonable.”

“But I wasn’t,” I argued.

“Could have, would have…she did it! You followed the law.” Samuel stated. “The question is what do we do now? How do we find her?”

Seth looked at me. “You’ve seen Deena. That person you saw…was it male or female? Was it Deena?”

I shrugged. “To say for certain? I can’t. It was that big.” I held my fingers a half an inch apart. “And it was dark.” I frowned. “It was human, again, I assume, since I couldn’t really see.”

Seth nodded, accepting what I said. How could he say anything? He didn’t see whoever it had been.

“Now, we have new problems,” I said slowly as I thought. “We can count on this being the first of attacks by her.”

Alex nodded. “If she wants to hurt you, and she will try. He’s right.”

“We need to think a little preemptively,” I said further. “She will do more. We’ve got a shipment going out soon, what two weeks? We should be prepared that she will try and rob us.”

Samuel nodded. “We,” he pointed to Terry and himself. “Should head back first thing in the morning. Terry and Michael should not be allowed to become targets. They killed our mother, I wouldn’t put it past her to kill either of them.”

Seth nodded but looking at me. “What did you have in mind?”

I grinned at Seth. “Well, you know how fond I am of using decoys.” Reminding him of the decoys I’d used that first ball to hide that I was the prince and could hear the others since they saw me as a servant, and not important. “We send some other people to pick up the payments.”

Seth nodded. “Good idea. As the payments will be in gold makes it an easy target.”

I grinned. “Well, if she is using hired thugs, she needs to pay them. Gold is the only way.”

“Don’t you send armed men?” Samuel asked. “To gather the payments?”

“We do,” I answered. “But by diversifying the transport…giving the payment to a very unlikely suspect, she would have less luck finding it.”

Samuel nodded. “How many are you planning to send?”

I looked at Seth. “We will send the crates by carriage in a couple of weeks. I’d love to send many, but three? Is that alright with you? That’s what we have to do.” Seth nodded.

Samuel smiled now too. “Send as many as you need.” He shrugged. “If you want, send five. When I get back to the palace, I’ll send some of the guards to you. Use them as decoys.”

“But they will be paid,” I said firmly. “By us,” I said indicating Seth and me.

Samuel frowned shaking his head. “This isn’t about you.” Then he held up his hand. “I mean, not directly. This is for Blethos. Protecting my subjects is part of the job, being king. Safeguarding Blethos’ business is just a part of that protection.”

Seth nodded. “Sounds like we have a plan.”

“We’d better get some sleep. We have a lot to do to repair the damage.” I said. “If we sleep later, that’s fine, but we should get some rest.”

As tired as we were, Seth and I still took the time to soak in a hot tub washing the soot and dirt away. Then fell to sleep almost as soon as we hit the pillows. The next day we assessed the damage.

 

“It’s mostly structurally,” Seth told me as he looked about and other men and women worked to clean up. “We did lose a press. Another can be made…portion of the wall and some furnishings were damaged and have to be replaced.”

“The connection to the storage is damaged, but can be repaired.” I smiled. “It could be much, much worse. The response time was important. We got to the second fire before it went too far.”

Seth nodded. “We should make some preparations for if it happens again.”

“We have the barrels.” I waggled my eyebrows.

Seth chuckled. “We do indeed.”

 

Samuel, Terry, Michael, and Alex headed back to the palace leaving two of their guards, Samuel promised others would be arriving within the week. A few letters were drafted by me and Samuel, both sealed with our two rings, mine was for the royal house of A’Dore, and Samuel’s as the king of Blethos authorizing payments to our representatives. One was a man just traveling through on seemly unrelated business, another a man hauling pigs. Pigs! A farmer, and another man hauling hay. One more traveling with a wife! And it was really his wife. She insisted. They were all sent to their destinations at different times but would be there when the wine arrived and travel back at their own paces.

My goals on improving the lives of the town went forward. Lamps were added to the streets of Royal Valley. A school for the children of Royal Valley opened its doors. The school for the employees and adults of Royal Valley continued. For a while, we almost forgot that Deena was a threat. Almost, but it was always in the back of our minds.

Twice, our payments from the various towns were robbed. But when it was found that the men coming back on the wagon that carried the wine to the towns didn’t have the gold on the way back. It stopped.

But Seth’s and my life was influenced more than we had intended, but should have known would happen. As we were gathering from our evening meal. Zeb, a man we employed with Grace as house staff came in the dining room.

“There are two young men to see you, Sirs,” Zeb said. “I told them you were at dinner, but they asked to speak to you as it was important.”

Seth and I looked at each other. The unspoken question to each was, were we expecting anyone? The equally unspoken answer was no.

“Okay.” Seth nodded and we both followed Zeb to the entrance.

In the foyer were two young men. To me, they were just a few years younger. But still, teenagers approaching manhood.

“Sorry to intrude, Prince Erik, Prince Seth.” One of the young men, the blonde man said.

“It’s okay.” Seth smiled. “And it’s just Seth and Erik.”

“What can we do for you?” I asked. You could see something was troubling them both. The other boy was perhaps a year younger than the blonde man. Both were nice looking men. The dark brown haired man was stockier. Not fat, but stocky. He fiddled with a hat he’d removed and held in his hands. “You’re Ezekiel, aren’t you?” I asked. “The blacksmith’s son.”

The dark haired boy nodded, smiling that I knew that. “I am, sir.” He put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “This is Gabe.”

“That’s short for Gabriel.” The blonde man said, putting his hand out to both Seth and me. “We wanted to ask your advice.”

Seth nodded. “Alright.” He looked at me. “We were just sitting for dinner, can we offer you some?”

Gabriel was shaking his head no, but Ezekiel smiled at the offer. “If it’s not too much trouble.”

“Zek!’ Gabriel muttered to his friend to chastise him.

Zek looked at his friend. “I’m hungry!” He pleaded.

Gabe rolled his eyes. “When aren’t you hungry?”

I chuckled at them. “He must be still growing.” I motioned for them to follow Seth and me back to the dining room.

“Growing fat if he isn’t careful,” Gabe said dourly.

“We have plenty.” Seth grinned as we walked. “Grace is an excellent cook. Beef stew tonight. If it’s not used, it’ll be wasted.”

I saw the ease the two were with each other. But friends were that way usually.

Grace came in with the stew she was about to give us. “Two more?” She smiled. “I’ll get bowls.” She looked at the new guests. “Hello, Gabriel. Ezekiel. How are your parents?”

“Fine.” They both answered together.

Once the meal was underway. I looked at them. “So, what advice do you need?”

Ezekiel paused a moment, looking down, then looked up. “Well, everyone knows you two are married.”

Seth nodded. “I’m sure they do.”

Gabriel continued. “And we all know that the marriage was to get a king for Blethos.”

“But everyone also knows that you two…” Ezekiel looked at us. “…are lovers.”

Seth frowned. “That’s really no one’s business.”

I put my hand on Seth’s hand. “Wait.” I cautioned. “You’ve probably seen us kiss.”

Ezekiel nodded quickly. “Sure, who hasn’t? And we don’t care, really….it’s just that…”

“We are…” Gabriel continued. The rest of it sort of stopped. But then I saw Ezekiel take Gabriel’s hand.

I smiled now know why they were so hesitant. “Oh, I see.”

Seth’s frown disappeared, replaced with a smile of understanding. “How long?”

Ezekiel shrugged. “I guess…what…three years?”

Gabriel nodded. “About that. Almost as soon as the hair appeared on our bodies….down there.” He pointed to his groin.

Ezekiel grinned. “Well, that was a little longer for you, Gabe. Being blond and all.”

“You never complained!” Gabriel shot back.

“Guys,” Seth said with a chuckle. “The reason I asked was to be sure you both were serious. This isn’t just an excuse to have sex.”

“No.” They both said again together.

“You two are in love.” I continued.

They both looked at each other with smiles. “We are,” Ezekiel said.

“It’s still a dangerous thing,” Seth said softly.

“It is against the law,” I said. “The reason we were allowed to marry was a political ploy. For the betterment of both our governments.”

“The Church will never approve.” Seth reminded.

“And there will be a lot of resistance,” I added. “Not from us, or even the crown. King Alexander never prosecuted any man for what you’re doing. Or us.”

“The others…the people aren’t that tolerant,” Seth said. “If they do find out, and they want to prosecute you, they will.”

“In most towns around Blethos and A’Dore, they could choose to execute you,” I said sadly. “Now, Seth and I would do what we could to stop that, but the law is clear.”

“Even with us,” Seth said. “If they wanted to, Erik and I could be executed.”

“But that won’t happen,” Ezekiel argued. “Everyone likes you two.”

“Not everyone.” I shook my head.

“Does either of your families know?” Seth asked.

“No!” Gabriel shook his head.

“If my Dad finds out, he’ll kill me,” Ezekiel said in a near panic. “And Gabe!”

I gave a shrugging nod. “Maybe. With time? Do you think he’d get over it?”

Ezekiel pondered that a moment. “I don’t know.”

“It’s your decision,” Seth said. “And the dangers are clear. But familiarity is key. The more people who know the better.”

“If you have the support of family.” I began. “And the people around you, you’ll be safer.”

Seth nodded. “We came here with everyone knowing we were married. They all knew before we were really married just like every other couple, doing the same things.”

“Well, a little different physically. But no surprises.” I added. “With the two of you, there will be. Doing it here would be better. Starting a life together. You’re both known here.”

“But that doesn’t mean you’re safe,” Seth said. “You could move to another town. Begin again and slowly, tell people as you earn their trust.”

“The bottom line is, we don’t have an answer.” I shook my head. “Because there isn’t an answer. Until mankind realizes love is love, things will never change.”

Ezekiel looked at Gabriel. “I told you.”

Gabriel nodded. “At least we told someone. And they understand.”

“I wished we’d been more helpful,” I said quietly.

“You didn’t send us to the gallows,” Gabriel said with a smile.

I nodded. “I wish you the best.”

 

Later, in the steam rising water of our bath, I lounged against Seth’s chest as we just enjoyed the warmth and the company of each other.

“It’s a shame,” I said. “Two young people wanting nothing but to love one another face the same fate as a man that kills another.”

Seth nodded. “Both punishable by death.”

“It’s a good thing Deena is operating on the other side of the law. She could press charges against us.”

“Samuel would stop the death sentence for us,” Seth growled.

I turned to Seth. “But why should he have to?”

Seth shrugged. “Like you said until mankind accepts that love is love, it won’t change.” Then he grinned. “Want to do something very illegal?”

“I do!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I saw this almost immediately after it was posted. I look forward to seeing it it really IS Deena, or a red herring influenced by Deena.
I like your stories, and looking forward to seeing all not yet complete to be completed. I hope you have lots more stories percolating toward completion in your mind. Should you ever do a science fiction/alternate worlds story, I would like to see a crossover of the Cinderfella universe and the Suerpowerball universe.
Thanks for you writing!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Even in the world of fairy tales, nothing is perfect, i.e. bigotry, greed, hate, revenge and fairy god parents have their hands tied ...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..