Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,238 Words
  • 3,939 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 32. Chapter 32

It’s just how the world works. You have new crisis arise to overcome, but after’s it’s settled and fine, another crop up. Candor wouldn’t be coming back. That much I knew. And things calmed down. Seth and I were fine.


One night Seth and I were doing our nightly hot bath after the children were in bed asleep…and other things. When I heard a bell ring.


I pushed away from Seth a little. “If that’s Demetrius come on, if Dara, wait for a second,” I said getting the drying cloth, and since no one came, I gathered it was Dara. Seth dried off as well. We put on our trousers before I looked up. “Okay.”


Dara appeared. “Forgive me, but…” she said sadly. “Ella wanted you to have this immediately.” She handed me a note.


I took the note and saw my sister-in-law’s elegant script.


Christian was in contact with a man who died and passed on whatever he had to Christian. Christian’s dying. You have to come.


My heart sank upon reading this. Literally, the news sunk like a stone in my gut. “He can’t die!”


Seth frowned taking the note and read, then sat down suddenly. He looked at Dara. “How long does he have?”


Dara shook her head. “Days. No more than a week.”


I was instantly in motion. I had to get to A’Dore!


Seth grabbed me quickly. “Erik, you can’t just leave.” He pleaded knowing how I’d react.


I looked at Seth surprised. “I don’t have a choice. I have got to see him.”


Seth nodded. “I know, but we have children. We can’t take off like this and I won’t let you go alone.” He shook his head. “Even if we find someone to take the boys, even if we don’t take the carriage and ride full out, it will take over a week.”


I walked closer to Seth. “I have to go. This is Christian!” I felt the tears start. “He’s my brother. But he is so much more, don’t you know that? When I was growing up, Christian was my hero. He was strong, brave…then when our father died. He became so much more, not only my brother but a father. As the years passed, he became my best friend. There’s only one other man I love more, that’s you and you know that, too, but it’s different. I have to go. We’re made from the same two parents, he is part of me. If I can do nothing, I have to go!” I repeated. “I can’t choose between you two, please don’t ask me to stay.” I was crying more now. “Think if it were Sam. Would you not go?”


Seth nodded bringing me close to him hugging me. “I would. But we can’t leave the boys with anyone, not for that long. You can’t go alone. If something happens, I don’t want to raise them alone. I couldn’t.” Then he looked at Dara. “Ella said Christian got this….whatever from a man that visited A’Dore. Can Erik get it?”


Dara nodded. “Yes.”


“We have children Christian’s never even seen!” I wailed. “He’s just in his early thirties!”


Seth looked to Dara. “I know you can turn things into carriages, you can do some amazing things. You can’t get us to A’Dore quickly? Is there something we can do to prevent Erik from getting sick, too?”


“The magic won’t let us take you like we travel,” Dara said sadly, pleading for us to understand. “There is something we can do to prevent Erik from getting sick.”


I had a thought. “The magic won’t.” I nodded. Then looked up. “Demetrius!”


Demetrius did his entrance through the wall. “Even combined, we can’t transport you. You know this all too well.”


I nodded. “But Lukus showed Arthur a substance we’ve not known before. Is there something…technology wise that can get us there quicker? It doesn’t have to be magic.”


“There is. I’ll ask Lukus.” Demetrius said nodding and vanished.


I looked around the room. How would I do this if there was nothing to get me there faster?


“What does he need to prevent Erik from getting sick, too?” Seth asked Dara.


Dara waved her hand and this thing, it looked odd. Something to fit over what had to be a person’s face. It had flimsy material over a part that allowed air in. “There are things in this world, so tiny they can’t be seen by the eye alone. Christian got those things and that is what’s killing him. This will allow you to breathe, but won’t let those creatures in. When you finish visiting, you must bath immediately each time. Understand?”


But I was distracted, so Seth walked over to me. “Did you hear her, Erik?”


I nodded. “I heard. I’ve got to get ready.”


Seth stopped me again from hurrying off. “For what? If you ride, you’ll need supplies. Wait until Demetrius comes back to know what he has to say.”


Wait? I had never been so impatient in all my life If there was somthing fine. If not I was wasting travel time,time just seemed to crawl by before Demetrius and Lukus appeared.


“Is there a way to get me there quicker, or do I head out now?” I asked them as soon as I saw them.


Lukus nodded. “There is a way.” He took a deep breath. “But it involves accessing a kind of science rather than magic. We've used with others in the past, we don’t even understand how it works, not really. It is ancient science.” He waved his hand and a mirror appeared on a wall. “This is a doorway.”


I frowned at the mirror. It was tall and wide like a full-length mirror that allowed a person to see his whole self in reflection. It was framed in a gold frame, but there were four jeweled crystal-like stones about the size of a small plate one puts those delicate china coffee cups on, one on either side, the top, and the bottom. “I don’t understand.”


Lukus nodded. “Because I haven’t told you. Don’t ask me how, but it’s not magic in the sense you’ve seen us use. Let’s say, it just creates a door between distances so distance doesn’t exist. But it comes at a price.”


“A price?” Seth asked. “What price?”


Demetrius walked over. “The price is…we can never come back here. That means me, Dara and Lukus.”


“To us? Or just me?” I asked.


Dara smiled sadly. “That means you, Ella, Christian and Seth.” She put her hand on my arm. “I know how much Christian means to you. We understand.”


“But Erik. People die.” Demetrius said softly. “Nothing will stop that. Even if you stop this one, another death will happen, to you, Seth, Ella, and Christian. It’s part of life.”


I heard him, but I didn’t want to. “So, why bring this?” I waved at the mirror angrily. “I go, he dies anyway. But I can see him!? You know I have to see him!”


Dara swatted Demetrius in irritation. “Give him the vial!”


Demetrius nodded. “I will, woman!” He growled. He held his hand out. A glass vial appeared. Inside it was a liquid of…I had no idea. It was not clear like water, but it glowed. “With those creatures in his body. His body needs to fight off those tiny creatures. The body can, but it requires great strength. This won’t cure him, but it will give him the strength to allow his body to cure itself as intended.”


Seth had listened as all this was explained. “But it will work.”


Demetrius gave a shrugging nod. “It will give him a much better chance.” Then he looked sad again. “But we won’t come back if you take these…chances.” Then he got a needle out. “And I’ll need a portion of your blood.”


“My blood? Why?”


“Because you and Christian have the same blood. This liquid has preservative powers and will give Christian’s body the idea of what Christian’s blood should be.” Demetrius said reaching forward with the needle and jabbed my finger. As the blood pooled, he tipped my finger over the vial. That single drop made it turn a little pink, but it still glowed.


Then Demetrius held the vial up. “And you have to give it to Christian. No one else.”


I nodded but took the vial. “So how does this doorway work?”


Lukus nodded and vanished with Dara.


“They’re going to give your sister her mirror,” Demetrius said. “In order to work, there has to be two of these mirrors. Which I should say, there are only two in the Universe I know of. You have one and now Ella and Christian have the other. But Ella has to know, as well. That’s why Dara went with Lukus to explain what’s about to happen.”


Then I saw the reflection in the mirror change. It blurred, then solidified and I was looking at another room. Not a reflection of the room we were in, but seeing in a totally different room. Then I recognized it. “That’s Christian’s and Ella’s room in A’Dore,” I said walked up to the glass and put my hand on its surface.


Demetrius nodded. “That’s right.”


My eyes widened as I saw Ella approach the mirror with Dara. “Ella!”


“Oh, Erik!” I could see her say it, but I couldn’t hear her. She looked terrible. She’d been crying for a while and looked as if she hadn’t slept in days. I watched as Dara pointed to the mirror and to say something to Ella.


“Dara’s explaining what I’m going to explain to you,” Demetrius said to me. “In order to hear, you need to touch these two crystals.” He pointed to the ones on the side. But then motioned for me to do it.


Touching each, the crystals, gems….whatever they began to glow. Then I heard Dara speaking to Ella just as she appeared only a few feet away.


“…and do this whenever you want to just speak to Erik or Seth,” Dara explained. “Touch the left one to see, the right one to hear.”


“But to go through this doorway, you have to touch the upper and lower ones,” Demetrius said. “You can do it from either side. Then they can come to you…” he looked at me again. “…or you can go to them.”


I was feeling a little better as if this was going to work. Hope. “Why didn’t you tell me about this before?”


Demetrius frowned. “Because I didn’t want to lose you.” He confessed. “When you do this, we’ll be gone.” He looked at his wife. “None of us wanted to lose either of you.”


Ella nodded. “But if we don’t, Christian will die.” She said. “Why not give me the vial?”


Dara shook her head. “I’m sure Demetrius told Erik, only he can give it and have it work. He and Christian are made of the same stuff. They are products of the same parents. It wouldn’t work as well if I gave it to you to give Christian. What’s in that vial is basically Erik, therefore Christian.”


Demetrius shook his head. “It’s a special kind of fluid. Created by God himself, I suppose. Supposedly it’s made from the juice of the Forbidden Fruit.” He shrugged. “But since you’re already living in sin, what harm can it do further?” Then he smiled. “I’ve never heard of anyone getting more knowledge of good or evil as it was written in the Bible, but it has special properties that will boost his strength In Adam's and Eve's case it gave the means of having their own will. He’ll need that to get rid of those creatures.”


Seth shook his head. “This is ridiculous!” He said irritated. “These rules, who makes them up? This doesn’t sound like a God that I read about.”

Demetrius smiled and shrugged. “There are a lot of rules and restrictions imposed by God. For what purpose, only He knows about.”


Seth wasn’t satisfied but went on. “So, if we use this…doorway, you can’t return to us? Not ever? Why?”


Demetrius shrugged. “That’s just understood. That’s why we haven’t done it before. But we know it’s true.”


“But know this,” Dara added. “This must remain quiet. No one outside the family is to know about the doorway. Keep it covered, in the attic…out of sight.”


“If happened on by someone, it will just be a mirror. If touched in front of people, there will be problems. After you use it now, I’ll move it to the attic. Almost no one goes up there for now.” Lukus said from A’Dore’s side.


“We’ll come back through it up in the attic,” I said taking the vial. “But all we have to touch these crystals.”


Lukus nodded. “That’s right.”


Now, I was impatient to go but sad that I’d never see any of them again. “Is there a limit? Only me? Can Seth go?”


Dara chuckled. “Of course. And the boys, but they must be sworn to secrecy. If you can get a two-year-old to understand secrecy, but most people don’t understand sign language anyway. And Dennis talking, but not understandable yet. We’re good for now.”


I nodded. “Okay.”


Seth looked at me. “I’ll get the boys.” He said and walked out of our room.


I looked at Demetrius. “I hate I’ll lose you, but I can’t just be here and not do something and let him die.”


Demetrius nodded. “I understand.” Then he grabbed me in a tight hug. “I’ll be watching, but…” he smiled. “I won’t be delivering messages anymore. You won’t need to use them with the doorway.” He chuckled as a tear formed. “But you need to give Christian this as soon as possible to better his chances.”


“And he needs to consume it all.” Dara clarified. “Every drop.”


“When his fever ends, the little things inside him will be gone,” Demetrius explained. “But until he does, wear this breather and wash your hands after you see him. I won’t be able to bring you more liquid to cure you. So don’t catch it.”


“And be careful with the doorway. The mirror can break and if that happens, it won’t work anymore.” Lukus warned. Then he vanished and reappeared in Seth’s and my room. He hugged me. “This family has been very interesting the past decades. I’ll miss you.”


Seth came in carrying Dennis and leading Toby by the hand. Toby yawned, having been woken up. He spotted Ella in the mirror and his eyes widened. He waved and signed to Ella.


“Hello, Toby.” Ella greeted. “You’ll be coming here in a minute.” Then she hugged Dara. “I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me. I have a wonderful life because of what you did for me.” Then she looked at Demetrius and Lukus. “All of you, though I just met you Lukus.”


Lukus nodded and shrugged. “Your loss.” He smiled.


I was about to approach the mirror. “Wait,” I said. “You didn’t say you wouldn’t come back for Toby or Dennis.”


Demetrius held his finger up to his lips. “Shh! Don’t say that too loud and remind Him.” He grinned pointing straight up toward Heaven and God.


I nodded understanding. “I see.” I grinned. He wasn’t gone. He’d be back. I won’t really lose him. I reached down and lifted Toby. “Let’s go. Your Uncle Christian is very sick. I need to give him some medicine.”


I reached up and pressed the crystals and below. Nothing changed.


“Reach through. When you’re there they will stop glowing and it will be a mirror again until they’re touched again.” Demetrius smiled. “Have a good life.” Then he vanished, I saw Lukus and Dara vanish.


I did reach out and was shocked when my hand didn’t hit the glass, Seth touching me to be sure we don’t split up, but I reached into Christian’s and Ella’s room. I was stepping up and into the room in A’Dore.


“I need to leave someone a note here,” Seth said quickly, making me pause while putting Dennis down and wrote a quick note with the quill and ink. Then picked up Dennis and followed me cautiously.


Ella had held back, but once we were in the room, she rushed at me. “Oh, Erik, thank God! Christian’s so sick.”


I nodded. “I’m going to him.” I gave Toby to her. Then I had the breather and vial. “I’ll wash in his room as I leave. What room is he in?”


“Down the hall to the left,” Ella said, her tone was to hurry. “Seth knows where your quarters are in the palace.”


I rushed down the hall, where I saw a bunch of men waiting outside a door in the corridor. One man looked up surprised as I came rushing up.


“Prince Erik!” The elderly doctor said. “But you’re in Blethos! How…”


“Later!” I smiled to be polite but passed him.


“Wait, Your Highness!” The man reached to grab me. “Your brother’s illness will certainly kill you!” He shouted as I pushed past them.


“I know!” I shouted back but went into the room. Christian was all alone in this huge bed. There was a thin veil over the bed, but underneath was my brother that I saw through the sheer material. Putting the breather on before entering, I was disgusted with what I saw. He was so pale, but the horror was his bedding had not been changed, but I suppose that was because no one here wanted to die to do it. How were these little creatures kept to just Christian? But he was alive. I sat on the bedside and touched his fevered brow. “Hi, Christian.” I wept as I said his name.


He blinked and turned his head. His eyes tried to focus on me which widened as he saw me.


“It’s me. Your brother Erik.”


He shook his head. “You can’t…be…here. You’ll…die.” But I saw in his face that he was still trying to protect me. He had no strength to push me away.


“No, I won’t.” I shook my head. “I got help from Demetrius.” I held the vial up. “This will help. He told me that little creatures have invaded your body. This will help you get rid of them.” I moved so I could get him to sit up. “You must drink all of it,” I said moving the vial to his lips. “Please, Christian. I won’t let you die.”


He blinked a few times, then nodded. Then I held the vial to his fevered, chapped lips as he drank the liquid. I made sure he took every drop as I had been instructed. He gasped as he finished the vial. “Tiny creatures? They must be extremely small.”


“So small we can’t see them. We have seen ants so small they appear as mere dots that move on the ground. Why not something even smaller?” I explained. “This mask keeps me from getting them in me. I’m not leaving you, Christian. I’d never leave you. I will do anything to keep you from leaving us.”


Christian smiled. “I know. I love you, Erik. Please don’t get these…whatever.”


“I love you, too. I’m doing all I can not to get them. But you have to have help.” I said as now there were tears coming down my face. “You have to fight these things.” I could smell the urine and sweat. “But we’re going to make you more comfortable. I’ll wash you up and change the bed and your clothing.”


I was pleased when I went into the bathroom and saw that Christian had those copper tanks installed. I lit the flame under the water tank and let the tank heat up. Then cracked the door open. “I want soap. I want it now.” I said. “Clean sheets and fresh night clothes for Christian to wear.” All I got were unbelieving stares. “Don’t make me get all imperial on your asses. Do it now!! Move!!” I stopped again. “Oh, and Doctor, bring me that stuff you gave me to reduce fever. That Aspi-willow stuff. And don’t worry, I’ll give it to him.” I almost never did that. I pointed at who was supposed to be the royal physician as I instructed. “We’ll talk about how I found my brother later. Count on it.”


“But, Sire!” The man paled. “Anyone going in there gets a death sentence!”


I pointed to the breather. “Not if you take precautions. A man of your knowledge doesn’t know this?” I slammed the door shut. I was angry. Not at the doctor, but just angry. I’d apologize later. It wasn’t his fault they didn’t know about these little creatures. I don’t think anyone human did. It took only a few moments before there was a knock on the door. A servant I hadn’t met was bringing the tray of steaming soup and bread. When she saw the breather and she gasped in terror at what she saw.

“I’m Prince Erik, King Christian’s brother. I’m perfectly human.” I sighed as I took the tray and thanked her.

“I’m not Ella, but I’m going to feed you now, okay?” I said softly.


He looked at me weakly. “How is Ella?”


“She’s very scared,” I said honestly. “She doesn’t want to lose you. You’re the most important person in her life. And I don’t want to lose you either.”


He smiled at that and nodded. “But she’s okay? No symptoms?”


I shook my head. “Not that I saw. She’d cried a lot and looked very un-Ella-like.” I smiled, he seemed to have a little more strength now. That fluid seemed to be working. “I’ll show her how to breath with this thing and she can come in.”


“No!!” Christian stated firmly shaking his head. “She can’t see me like this!”

I nodded pushing him back. “Relax. I mean, I’ll feed you, clean you up, change the bed and then I’ll let her come in.” Then I grinned. “If you’re good.”


He grinned. “You’re liking this, aren’t you? Telling a king what to do.”

I chuckled. “It will go down as one of the highlights of my life.” I pulled him easily up to sit up more. “Let’s sit up a little. You look a little stronger. The fluid seems to be working, but that could just be wishful thinking.”


Christian looked instantly puzzled. “How did you get here? Had you left to visit before? Demetrius didn’t give me a message telling me you were coming.”


I nodded patiently. “Well, there was a price for getting me here as quickly as I got here. There is no more Demetrius, Dara or Lukus.”


Christian looked surprised. “Why?”


“That’s how I got here so fast.” I placed the bowl on the side of the bed and dipped the spoon. “I’ll explain later. But you have to get well. You have two nephews you haven’t met here as well.”


Christian smiled at that. “They’re here, too? And Seth?”


“All here.” I nodded again. “I’d kiss you, but I can’t until you get rid of these creatures.” I waved at him.


“I feel stronger,” Christian said smiling. “What was that stuff?”


I grimaced, hesitant to tell him. “It’s supposed to be made from the juice of the Forbidden Fruit.”


“What!?” Christian balked. “What Eve gave Adam!?”


I nodded. “Even Demetrius said it was supposed to be. I don’t think he knows what it is either, but I can’t ask him now. It seems to be working.”


Christian thought about it for a few minutes. “It didn’t taste like apple.”


I rolled my eyes. “The Bible never said it was an apple.” I took the spoon to his mouth. “Shut up and eat this.”


Christian smiled. “Bossy.”


I nodded again with a grin. “I learned from the best!”


The water was ready so I got a wash basin and filled it with hot water now available. I helped him up a little more and undressed him. He was stronger but still weak. I cleaned him up from head to toe. Placed him in a chair covering him with a blanket as I heard a knock on the door again.


Taking the Aspir-willow, clothing, and sheets. I gave him the Aspir-willow, helped him in the nightshirt and changed the bed. Then, he was exhausted. Putting him back in a clean bed. I pulled the covers back up and lay him back down then I lay beside him. This was my brother. He had been my role model, not only for me but for Seth. There were many qualities I saw in Seth that Christian had. I admit it, I loved Christian. A part of me may even be in love with Christian. But who isn’t a little in love with their hero? He meant more to me than he should perhaps, but I loved and was in love with Seth, but I loved and needed Christian for other reasons. I need Christian alive. I would not let him die.


What were the little creatures? No one else seemed to be sick, but that man and then Christian were the only ones I knew of. How did that happen? If just breathing the same air made a person sick, who else was sick? I needed answers. But for now, Christian was going to get better.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 5
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"This will give liquid has preservative powers and will give Christian’s body the idea of what Christian’s blood should be." – Not sure what you are trying to say here.

 

"We have seen ants so small the appear as mere dots that move on the ground." – 'they'? ;-)

 

They should have asked for a supply of the masks while they had the chance. And now that Erik is planning to find others who are sick, what's the strategy? They don't have any more of the potion and it's unlikely that injections of Christian's blood will help and Aspi-willow™ only helps with some of the symptoms. Only one mask won't be too helpful…

Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 06:38 PM, droughtquake said:

"This will give liquid has preservative powers and will give Christian’s body the idea of what Christian’s blood should be." – Not sure what you are trying to say here.

 

"We have seen ants so small the appear as mere dots that move on the ground." – 'they'? ;-)

 

They should have asked for a supply of the masks while they had the chance. And now that Erik is planning to find others who are sick, what's the strategy? They don't have any more of the potion and it's unlikely that injections of Christian's blood will help and Aspi-willow™ only helps with some of the symptoms. Only one mask won't be too helpful…

I was making the focus not to attack Seth and his family. Now it's Erik's and Christian's family. And I was going away from magic. They will have to figure things out themselves. If more is needed, they will have to use the one they have and make more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/15/2017 05:06 PM, Yadiris D.C. said:

Did you change Toby name to Tyler why????

That was an error. I'm correcting. He is Toby.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 1/14/2017 at 11:06 PM, Yadiris D.C. said:

Did you change Toby name to Tyler why????

I wasn't really trying to quote this comment, I tried to cancel it but my tablet seemed to have a mind of its own right then. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 8/10/2017 at 1:20 PM, Butcher56 said:

I wasn't really trying to quote this comment, I tried to cancel it but my tablet seemed to have a mind of its own right then. 

I used to have my browser redraw the page, but I figured out that if you hoover over the upper left corner of the quote box, a sort-of square with a cross inside appears and you can click that to make the quote disappear. But the second trick didn’t work for an author I suggested it to – I only know it works on MacOS in Safari.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..