Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,540 Words
  • 2,702 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella 2: A New Life - 45. Chapter 45

It was a few hours before someone came to the room telling us King Mordor would see us. Taking us through the rest of the castle I saw more that was…well…there were antlers on the walls of one room I assumed was a dining hall. It was big. Again, no rugs, but there were tables with benches and a huge fireplace. Before the fireplace was a table and there were chairs there. You could burn a whole tree in the fireplace! We were led to a large…hall? Men in black leather armor stood in intervals about the room. I guess it was the throne room. This was different than other parts of the castle. The walls were decorated with the swords and shields. The swords crossed or just on display. There were also tapestries here that depicted scenes of war and victories. An emblem of the Creid nation itself over a throne where King Mordor sat. The ornate throne rooms of A’Dore or Blethos this was not. But it had a grandeur all its own. It said we were in a warriors’ territory. I saw again the man that was king. Only this time he wore clothes. His hair was still black that grey was streaking through in parts and he was grey at the temples. He had a full beard that also held grey. He wore a fur robe over his shoulders and wore a leather breast plate over his chest that showed muscles, but that was the plate. Having seen him naked, I knew what was beneath that plate. He was still a large bear of a man and the plate was probably right in the past. Yet he looked with keen dark eyes as we approached and he held the bearing of a king. On his head was the crown of gold. His face held patience, to a point, but he was ready. Beside him were two guards in black leather, no masks, but looked angry and large!

I held my hand up to Quaid and Darrin and approached the throne on the only carpet I’d seen so far in the castle. I bowed to King Mordor. “Thank you for seeing me, Your Majesty. I am Prince Erik of Blethos and A’Dore.”

King Mordor held up the letter I’d written to him. “You wrote about a mutual enemy. One that would threaten not only Blethos and A’Dore, but also the Creids.”

I nodded. “I did. In fact, I believe it to be a threat to the entire human race. In fact, I know it’s true.”

Then King Mordor frowned. “So, what kind of threat is too great for the great Kingdoms of Blethos and A’Dore can’t handle without our help?” He was not only disbelieving what I written, but he held great distrust in our motives.

“I can show you.” I said. “You are said to have a knowledge that we lack. Combining our efforts and knowledge, we can overcome this threat.”

The king chuckled. “Knowledge?” He tossed the letter I wrote aside. “You came for knowledge? Don’t you of Blethos and A’Dore believe yourselves to be superior to the Creids? Aren’t we but simple barbarians to you?”

I smiled and lowered my eyes a little. “I will admit, and you have made it a point to build a reputation of brute force and savagery. It is a reputation that I and many of my countrymen believed, but is it true? I don’t know anyone from Creid. I hope that a mutual contribution between us, we can change that opinion. I do not believe a man is more worthy than another. Knowledge gives power and you are said to have this knowledge. No man or kingdom is greater than another.”

King Mordor still was looking very wary of me. “So, you want to be friends with the Creids?” He nodded. “Perhaps then we can become allies…and maybe then become a part of a greater force in the world. A’Dore, Blethos and Creid Empires?”

“Would that be so bad?” I asked and then I sighed. “King Mordor, I know that you and your kingdom were blamed for a great many things. I know that Arthur Thorne approached you when he had King Alexander’s wife killed and planted evidence that you were to blame. But you did not. I know that.”

King Mordor’s eyes widened. “You do? How do you know we weren’t part of that?”

“It was proven. Evidence and testimony explained who was responsible and motive. Arthur and his children paid the price. They are dead.” I said simply.

“To which you, Prince Erik of A’Dore, restored the king his son and made him king by marrying Prince Phillip.”

I nodded. “That is correct, Your Majesty.”

“And how do I know this isn’t some…ploy to get your hands on Creid? To absorb us into this empire?” King Mordor asked and then he shook his head. “This is a trick of some kind.”

I expected this. “King Mordor, I will do what I can to prove I’m telling the truth.” I assured. “There is a threat about to hit this world no one is prepared for. You ship ore to both Blethos and A’Dore, in exchange for goods and food, but isn’t there some way I can show I mean no harm and only seek your help?”

King Mordor shook his head. “I don’t see how.”

I nodded. “Then I seek the Challenge of Conviction.” I said loud and it echoed in the hall.

That made King Mordor’s eyebrows rise. “That is an ancient Creid custom. Even we don’t really use it much now. That means combat.”

“If by doing this, you understand, I mean you no harm. I do not want anything from you but cooperation and a healing between our kingdoms. You, King Mordor, are not a fool. You’ve proven that. You are a king. You’ve shown wisdom in the past and I’m sure you’ll show it in the future, but I will do whatever it takes to convince you of my sincerity.”

“My warriors are pretty good. How does a pampered prince from A’Dore or Blethos think he could best one of my men?”

I walked a little closer. “Because I’m right! If my words don’t convince you, my actions will. You may find me not as pampered as you think. To work together we need trust between us. My intent is to assure you to place trust in me by showing I can be trusted.”

King Mordor was not really expecting this, but looked about the room. “Which should I choose?” He said more to unnerve me as he gazed over his guards.

“Make him a skilled one, Sire.” I said smiling. “I don’t want to hurt any of these nice men.”

The king, the guards beside him and other guards were chuckling at the idea. They saw humor if for no reason other than my confidence. Most of them were larger than me. “I applaud your belief in your abilities, but you understand the rules, don’t you?”

I nodded. “Victory is only assured if the opponent is disarmed, yields or is severely injured.”

“Or killed.” The king said further as a warning. “That sometimes happens.”

I grinned at the king. “Understood. And don’t worry, I’ll go easy on your choice.”

That brought new laughter from all, including Quaid and Darrin. I waved to the many weapons on the walls. “Do you mind if I use one or two of these?”

The king was still chuckling as he nodded. “Sure, help yourself.” He waved at the whole wall. “Whatever you feel you can use.” Then he stood. “You can even use mine, if you like.” He pulled the sword from its sheath he had on his waist.

Looking at it, I frowned. “Too long for me, but thank you.” I smiled as I looked until I found one about the length I was used to and a smaller, short sword. Both good steel and looked well honed. I clanked them together to hear the ring of the metal and assured myself of their strength. “I think these will do.” I spun the longer sword around testing its balance and how well I could maneuver it.

The king was smiling more, but the feeling was now more relaxed if you can believe that. He was beginning to trust me. The guards in the hall were more relaxed. This was something they knew. A good fight was about to commence and this added some excitement in their otherwise routine day.

“Yannick!” The king shouted.

Then from the wall came this mountain of a man. Huge! He was over six and a half feet tall and weighed…a lot! Dark black hair and had a short cut beard on his face and a scowl on that face which wasn’t ugly even with the scowl.

I didn’t back down as he approached. “Wow.” I grinned as he came closer and having to look up. “You must be the runt of the litter.” Then looked at the king. “What do you feed these guys!?”

Say what you will, but if you win a man with humor, it has a tendency to go better and make your opponent less likely to want to kill you.

“Just mother’s milk.” Yannick growled.

“You nurse from a Kodik Bear? That’s impressive.” I smiled at the man who was now chuckling thinking of the largest land predator I knew of when standing was over eight or nine feet of several tons of angry bear when defending her cubs. “So, wherever and whenever.” I swung a sword making the blade whistle through the air.

With that Yannick did a simple sword swing which I countered easily. Then he pulled a small, a bit longer than a dagger, but shorter than my short sword. His moves were not like Darius’, but more precise and more thought out. Each of which I blocked and he attempted to thrust the small sword at me which I deflected. Then it became more intense. This fight, I would have to work to win. He was good. I was going to have to earn this victory. These men were taught the key was to win. Skill was good, but the victory was the only thing important and at whatever the cost is what you did. Soon I was fending off thrust after thrust. Yannick and I were soon sweating profusely. Then when he and I were caught in a struggle, almost face to face, I saw him grin as I felt his breath on me he was so close, but again it was like seeing a bear grin at you before he bites you’re head off. “You’re very good.” Yannick said.

“So are you.” I grunted back, but I should have seen it coming sooner, but did a little late, but enough as his forehead came forward swiftly and would have broken my nose, but I turned my head slightly and got most of his blow on the cheek which almost made me see lights before my eyes! “Sneaky.”

Yannick shoved me away. “Whatever it takes to win.”

“Okay.” I grinned, but was tasting blood from the impact he’d given me. Our swords again dueled and clanked as more thrusts were tried as we both put real effort in this fight. Thrusts were more powerful and swift. I was able to counter each and we were all but dancing as we circled each other, but I could see he was getting winded and so was I. This had been going on a while. The others were cheering us on. This was exciting for them. They were cheering, but not necessarily for Yannick. This was for the fight itself! Who would win? Now the men had doubts about Yannick’s certain victory they believed before. Darrin and Quaid were cheering me on. I got one thrust in and while he countered that one, I stuck on his side close above his belt, but I didn’t want to kill the man. He was good! His leather armor, to which I had none, not fair, saved him a deeper cut, but I knew he’d be bleeding now, but he kept going. Thrusts again and our swords clanked again and again we were face to face, now feeling each other breath, only and inch part. “Whatever it takes?” I grunted to Yannick.

“Whatever it takes.” Yannick confirmed with a nod.

“Sorry, Seth.” I muttered and kissed Yannick on the lips which was so surprising to him and caught him so off guard, I sent both his long sword and short sword flying to clank on the stone floor a good few feet away. “Whatever it takes.” I reminded Yannick who was breathing as hard as I was. To my surprise, he caught himself and the disbelief went away as he suddenly laughed heartily. He wasn’t mad at all.

“A victory! Our new friend. Prince Erik of Blethos and A’Dore!!” The king shouted also laughing as was every man there!

I walked up to Yannick and looked at the gash I’d given him. “That needs to be wrapped.” I said, but my concern was genuine. “That could get infected.”

Then Yannick grabbed me in…well…it was the first real bear hug I’d ever gotten as he laughed. I had been hugged in what I thought was a bear hug, this was very strong! “I’ve had much worse.” Then he slapped me on the back which if he’d hit me like that before, he would have won! “You fought well, Your Highness. I hadn’t thought you had a chance, but you won!” He pulled me in hugging me again. “By a kiss!!”

I grinned at him. “Never underestimate the power of affection.”

“It worked!” Yannick admitted, but then bowed slightly as King Mordor approached. “Forgive me, Sire.”

King Mordor was all smiles. “You did your best, Yannick. There’s nothing to forgive.” He put his arm around my shoulder. “He just did something…unusual. A very little tried tactic.”

“I like you guys!” I said and meant it! I was more surprised than they were, I think. “You fellas know how to laugh and enjoy a good joke.” I looked at Yannick. “You fought with honor.”

“That is what it means to be a Creid.” King Mordor nodded laughing. “Of course we have humor. Who said we didn’t?”

“I don’t know, but everyone thinks of you all as rough and somewhat….”

“Barbaric.” King Mordor finished nodding. “And we fostered that opinion for our own protection.”

I shook my head. “I don’t get it.”

King Mordor led me away toward the throne again. “You mentioned the Kodik Bear. Would you take what she has?” He asked.

“No.” I shook my head. “She would kill me!”

King Mordor smiled. “There’s your answer.” He said logically. “We are not a wealthy kingdom and for a long time we kept ourselves safe but occasionally being the savage barbarians because the world thinks we are.” Then he sat and offered me the throne next to him. “It was wife number three’s throne, but she’s gone now. There isn’t a replacement yet. Sit.”

I sat breathing easier. “Thank you.”

“So how did you know about our ancient customs?” King Mordor asked now seemed to be completely at ease with me.

“I read it.” I answered simply. “It’s in the A’Dore’s historical archives.”

“Is it?” King Mordor smiled. “And you read it.” He nodded. “Is it critical that I see what you have now? Or can we feast first?”

I smiled as I watched Quaid and Darrin looking anxiously at me. “I’m hungry. I’m sure my friends could eat.” I waved at them.

King Mordor smiled as he slapped his hands on his knees. “Then feast we will!” He looked up. “Yannick! Get yourself seen and meet us in the banquet hall. All of you!” He commanded to all there. “The threat we will discuss.” He said softer to me. “But first, we eat! Testament to your victory!”

 

The banquet hall we passed was now the place where there was a lot of activity. Men and women rushed to get things ready, so smells that were pretty interesting in a good way was coming from there. The guards and others were gathering also, laughing and talking and rose as King Mordor and I came in. The king knew who he was and so did everyone else so King Mordor just waved them down. The head table was in front of the fireplace which burned merrily and in this part the world it got cold at night so it was inviting. King Mordor waved to the seat to the right of his.

“I hope I didn’t hurt Yannick.” I was still worried about the man. An infection was nothing to take lightly, it could kill him if not treated.

King Mordor smiled as his eyes held something else.... “My son will be fine.”

“Your son!?” I asked startled when I heard this. “That huge man is your son?” Then I looked at King Mordor, but now I saw the resemblance and shrugged. “Now I see it.” I nodded. “He was very, very good.”

“As were you.” King Mordor nodded. “And you didn’t know he was my son, did you?” Then his face softened thinking about something. “He was the only thing my first wife gave me. I was barely over my teens when we married. She was a beautiful woman.”

I smiled a little sadly. “But you clearly loved her.” I just said what I saw in his eyes.

“Very much.” King Mordor nodded. “And will be the only one I ever love. The other women and even wives were…just company. Fine women, but not Lessha.” Then he looked at me curiously. “You married Prince Phillip.”

I nodded. “I am still married to him. And he goes by Seth now.”

“Kissing my son wasn’t new to you then.” He grinned. “You’ve kissed men.”

“I kiss Seth.” Now I felt a little guilty. “Sorry about that kiss.”

King Mordor laughed at that. “Why? Because of it, you won!”

“I like Yannick, but I have a husband.” I grinned. “I’ve only kissed Seth and now Yannick.”

King Mordor shook his head. “I’m sure you’ll break my son’s heart.” He held his hands over his heart in mocking sadness. “He’ll be fine, but I am pleased you were concerned about him before you knew he was my son.” Then he looked at me. “So, you’ve never been with a woman.”

I shook my head. “Never.”

He shrugged. “It’s a pity. Their so soft and round…”

“Which I don’t want.” I said again chuckling. “Men can be beautiful. I prefer the harder form of men and they are not so round and soft, which I prefer.” I shrugged. “Seth is more than I could have dreamed of. Not a soft, round part on him.”

“All that hair in places…doesn’t bother you?” King Mordor asked quietly, but his face told me he was just curious, not offended.

I shook my head. “It’s actually very attractive to me.”

King Mordor just sat back considering what I said. “Huh.”

The feast began and Prince Yannick came with his side bandaged wearing only a shirt and the bandage was seen. He sat on the left of his father. He frowned as he looked at me with a wince as he looked at me. “I’m sorry about that.” He pointed to a place on his face then to me. “You’re starting to bruise.”

I shrugged. “It’ll heal.” I smiled. “I hope you’ll be alright.”

Yannick smiled. “As I said before, I’ve had worse.”

“This threat. How bad will it be and what knowledge do we have that can help?” King Mordor asked as they served us some roasted chicken that smelled devine.

Why not tell them? “They are so small, you can’t see them unaided.” I explained as I was served a piping hot dish. “I discovered a whole other world all around us and even inside us. There are these little creatures that are pretty deadly. My brother was almost killed when someone got some into him.”

“We heard King Christian was ill, but by little creatures? We can’t just stomp them out, can we?” Yannick asked.

“They are very, very small.” I said. “But inside a man, they feed off of us and reproduce. There are enough that a man can spread them to his family as well as others where they reproduce there and kill everyone.”

King Mordor frowned. “But you said there was a new threat. Something else?”

“There is a woman, who knows how to use these little creatures and use them to kill.” I said seriously. “I believe she will do it and threatens not only A’Dore, Blethos and Creid, but humans everywhere.”

The king looked at his son, who merely looked back, not that they weren’t believing me, but…well, it was hard to believe.

“Then…” King Mordor seemed to accept what I said. He trusted me! “We will work together.”

I swear, my first impression of him was so wrong! He was actually a nice guy! He was looking better to me as I eat with these new friends.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wonder if the reason the king was dismissive of his son's wound is due to a certain healer mentioned by Eric's former godfather. ;)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Before the fireplace was a table and there we chairs there. There were?

 

“There’s you answer.” Your.

 

King Mordor asked as they served us some roasted chicken that smelled devine. Divine.

 

Yay! We find out that the Creids are not the primitive barbarians that everyone thought they were! And they aren’t as isolated as we were initially led to believe. I think it would be fun to find out that they’ve developed a more advanced method of heating their castle – some sort of radiant heating or a clever use of their metal technology? Something not developed yet in Blethos or A’Dore.

Link to comment
On 03/04/2017 08:47 PM, droughtquake said:

Before the fireplace was a table and there we chairs there. There were?

 

“There’s you answer.” Your.

 

King Mordor asked as they served us some roasted chicken that smelled devine. Divine.

 

Yay! We find out that the Creids are not the primitive barbarians that everyone thought they were! And they aren’t as isolated as we were initially led to believe. I think it would be fun to find out that they’ve developed a more advanced method of heating their castle – some sort of radiant heating or a clever use of their metal technology? Something not developed yet in Blethos or A’Dore.

No, Erik learns that a lot of Creid behavior is on purpose, to keep people at a distance. While they are just men, their technology is not as advanced and this isolation will be the reason. The knowledge they have, they really don't understand. But with help from one Creid they get to understand why. The Creid are most bark, they will bite sometimes, but more bark. Seth will actually be a little jealous of one Creid.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I think that King Mordor will be a big help with this threat as he doesn't want his kingdom to fall in the face of the microscopic bugs. I'm grateful that Erik was so well received by the Creid King, even though he had to issue a challenge in order to show that he wasn't afraid to fight one of their warriors. Erik now must be able to tell the king everything he knows about what's going on and who may be behind this. The problem I see is how do you prove what you say is fact when Erik can't call Demetrius as he's not Erik's godfather anymore so even if Erik called him he wouldn't be able to show himself. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Of course your fantasy arctic warriors are dwarfish, extremely muscular and hirsute with dark hair! Mine would be more elven with pale skin, blond or red hair, with tall, thin, smooth, and lithe bodies! Your warriors would be lumbering around and quickly exhaust themselves, dragging all that weight around.  ;–)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Of course your fantasy arctic warriors are dwarfish, extremely muscular and hirsute with dark hair! Mine would be more elven with pale skin, blond or red hair, with tall, thin, smooth, and lithe bodies! Your warriors would be lumbering around and quickly exhaust themselves, dragging all that weight around.  ;–)

We all have options.  It's not my fault you don't have good taste.  :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..