Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Lore - 33. Chapter 33

We didn’t see a lot of Brian that weekend – actually till Monday morning. He worked breakfasts and dinners but let the guys and me wait his table on Saturday and Sunday for lunch and reset it afterward.

“I cleared it with Linden,” he told me Saturday morning, in the bunk, when he was packing clothes in his gym bag. “And I told him the truth – didn’t lie about my parents or sister or something. I just said my girlfriend was here for the weekend and asked if the guys could cover lunches for me, so Julie and I could have more time together.”

“What did he say?”

“‘Go for it,’ which is probably less adult than it should’ve been. Then we both laughed.”

“I take it his wife wasn’t there.”

“Not this morning.”

I grinned. “I’ve got a theory that Linden is just an older version of Nate.”

“No – Steve,” Brian corrected. “There’s a maturity Nate doesn’t have.”

“Steve’s too conservative. And has less of a sense of humor.”

“Or adventure.”

“That, too.”

“But he does have a sense of humor. You just don’t get it all the time.”

“Thanks.”

“But you’re above Nate.”

“And the other guys?”

“Well above – except maybe Greg.”

“Then where does Linden fit in?”

“Well, definitely an adult. But sometimes still a boy.”

“Which my father sure isn’t.”

“You’re positive?”

“Yeah. I can’t see how they were ever friends.”

After Brian packed, I walked him to his car and waved when he drove off. I was completely jealous and would have loved to see Katie. But she was in Barcelona.

Monday morning, I watched Brian unpack – really just throw things into the laundry bag – and listened to the rest of his adventure.

“Where did you stay?”

“Norwich.”

“I knew that.”

“In the cheapest motel ever.”

“Sleazy?”

“Not that bad. But there’s no reason ever to stay there except sleep.”

“Something like that.”

“Give me a break. Give Julie one, too.”

“Okay.”

But I was smirking.

“And we walked a lot – especially last night. Around the town... so we’d have a place to talk after dinner.”

He’d skipped eating meals at camp.

“It’s a nice town, but there’s not a lot to explore. So we drove around on Saturday and Sunday – we had almost nine hours each day. And the evenings. It’s a really pretty area.”

“Did she like your car?”

“Yeah – but we mostly drove hers – her mother’s. I wasn’t getting dead bugs all over mine.”

“She could’ve picked you up.”

“I wasn’t leaving my car near the guys.”

“They would’ve been fine.”

“Not taking chances.”

“I guess.”

“It would’ve been hell to have a terrific weekend and then come back to a wrecked paint job.”

“So it was terrific?”

“How could it not be?”

I laughed.

“I know.”

I laughed again.

“I know.”

This time, he smirked.

“Want to get on a plane?”

“Katie’s parents wouldn’t give us the privacy.”

“Yeah – I gotta write Julie’s and say ‘thanks.’ They had to know why she was coming.”

“You think they didn’t know all along?”

“I don’t know how open she is. They’re interesting people. Educated. Professionals. But they quit working for corporations to open a family coffee shop in a tiny town that does most of its business in the summer.”

“Tourists?

“Summer folks – wealthy ones from Chicago and Detroit.”

“You’ve seen the place?”

“I’ve heard about it from Julie – she’s worked there since she was ten.”

“Only child?”

“Oldest of four. Two brothers in the middle.”

“So she’s pretty independent?”

“She’d have to be. And they trust her away at school.”

“But she’s not ‘out in the world?’”

“Oh, no – Laura’s from the city – New York. No way Julie’s a match.”

He hesitated.

“Did Laura ask about me?”

“Oh, yeah.”

He waited for me to go on. But I was baiting him.

“And?”

“She thought you might be sick.”

He waited again.

“And?

I laughed.

“We told her the truth.”

He seemed to consider.

“Thanks,” he finally said.

“Would you rather we didn’t?”

“No – you know how I feel about lies. And even if you were able to stay quiet, I’ll bet the guys couldn’t.”

“They didn’t even see Julie.”

“No.”

He hesitated again.

“Did ask what she looked like? Laura? Julie?”

“I got it.”

I shook my head.

“No.”

“And you didn’t volunteer?”

“I wouldn’t have.”

“I could depend on that.”

Again, he considered.

“She’d know better than ask you anyway. She’s more subtle.”

“Except when she’s dancing.”

He laughed.

“Even then.”

I considered. But not about Laura.

“I like Julie a lot,” I told Brian. “From the little I saw her.”

He grinned.

“Yeah – she’s something.”

Then he laughed again.

“I can’t believe she persuaded her parents to let her drive here. And lend her her mother’s car. And come all the way alone. And stay at a motel. Just to see me.”

“Would she have come if they said ‘No?’”

“She wouldn’t’ve let them.”

“Really?”

“Absolutely. She’s great at persuading people.”

I laughed.

“I wish she’d talked with my parents – I’d be working in New York right now.”

Then I thought about that.

“Of course, I’d rather not be.”

Copyright © 2020 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..