Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Lore - 50. Chapter 50

On Monday afternoon, Dan and Paul had rowed back to the island to look for the keys. It turned out they were practically where Brian had been standing.

“They might even have been under his feet,” Dan reported. “They were kind of dug into the ground.”

“Then I wouldn’t’ve been able to find them,” I said.

“Probably not.”

Almost a week later, on Sunday morning after breakfast, while waiting for all the kids and counselors to get organized, do final inspections of the bunks for almost-left-behind things, and load onto the gathered school buses, our gang of waiters again walked to the lake and watched Dan ceremoniously fling what was left of his handcuffs into the water.

“Can I at least keep the key ring?” Brian asked.

“It’s too small for what you want to use it for,” Dan cracked, though at least a couple of our friends missed that.

“Not necessarily,” Nate added.

And this time, we all laughed

Dan threw the keys – and key ring – into the lake, just as Linden got curious and wandered over.

“Our way of ending the summer,” Steve quickly explained.

Linden smiled, then laughed. “I trust you – I don’t know why, but I do. And I hope to see you all next year.”

“You bet,” Jim said, grinning.

Just before they boarded the buses, most of the counselors, staff, and waiters got their paychecks. A handful – mainly local people – were staying behind, to close up the camp, though some of it was used for another month-or-two for other activities.

“Like what?” I asked Steve.

“Sports camps. Religious retreats. Tech seminars. It’s really nice here in the fall.”

“And the spring,” Jim added. “Sometimes the winter.”

“Any way Linden can make money,” Nate cracked. Then, only slightly changing the subject, he added, “There are sometimes bonuses in those pay envelopes – for especially good work. Though Linden usually mails them to our homes.”

“He doesn’t want to embarrass anyone,” Greg explained.

I was betting Andy would get one and wondered if I would, too. Not for Dad’s connection, but for the volunteer work I’d put in. Of course, Linden didn’t realize he’d basically been my pimp.

“Also, some of the counselors and staff get notes inviting them back,” Steve went on.

“Others don’t,” Nate countered. “Purposely.”

“I guess we just did,” I pointed out.

“Yeah – he’ll always take waiters.”

“And they almost always come back.”

I understood why. It had been fun – amazing fun – and, normally, I would have been happy to return. But I hoped to be doing that law firm internship in the city the following summer. Though I knew where I could drive to for a weekend break – and maybe even rent one of the cottages.

Still, when Linden handed me my envelope, he said, “There’s a second check in there – for all the extra work you did as a counselor.”

I smiled as we shook hands. “You really didn’t have to do that,” I assured him. “But thanks.”

“And you’re welcome back.”

I repeated my plans about the law firm.

“That’s too bad – you’re a born teacher.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

He had to laugh at that. “Well, please say ‘hello’ to your mom and dad.”

I promised I would and moved out of his way.

Soon, almost everyone had loaded onto the buses, though some of the staff and counselors had their own cars and left as soon as their jobs were done. The guys and Andy were going back with the campers, so Brian and I followed the buses to the train station, for one last wave “goodbye.”

As the train started to move, Brian waved to Laura, and I waved to Andy, and Andy and I both kept smiling and not looking away from each other. We knew we’d see each other again, though working out the details was going to be a trick. My parents’ house? Andy’s parents’ apartment? Definitely not at Victor’s – Andy claimed there was a friendly but nosey doorman. We’d also talked about the following summer, but neither of us wanted to risk coming back. “This was too good,” Andy said. “It couldn’t be the same, so why try?”

I agreed, but kept waving, possibly a bit after he could probably see me. It was like visiting my grandparents and assuring them at the foot of their driveways that I’d be okay. Then Brian and I jumped into his Volkswagen and headed off to Michigan to see Julie.

Thanks again to everyone for reading along. It's always appreciated.
I'm gonna miss these guys. Their story has been an easy one to write and a good way to spend this particular summer.
I just got handed three one-inch thick file folders about a court case that may turn into my next book. Meanwhile, if you liked this one and haven't read some of my earlier novels on this site, you might want to look at them. Mexico is another lightweight comedy, and the main characters are adults. Quabbin is also sweet and centered around a younger adult, slightly older than these guys. I think they're both in the easily readable, double-spaced format, too. But I've got to repost some of my earlier books, like GWM, and Pendleton Omens. In single-spaced format, they're tougher on the eyes.
Also, there's a weird piece I wrote for a friend that I'll serialize on Fridays. A series of very short, dark, maybe funny pieces. Maybe.
Again, thanks.
Rich
Copyright © 2020 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

First off, let me say thank you. I really enjoyed this series. I actually enjoyed this series way more than I expected to - the '1000 word' format is not my favourite 'style' as a 'reader only' :) I enjoyed it for two main reasons. Firstly, some of the scenarios really were funny and entertaining. Secondly (and predominantly) I really liked some of the major characters in this story. Especially the main character. Have you ever thought about giving Rob his own story in a longer format? As a reader, I kind of feel as if he deserves his own story, so you can develop his character and his life in more depth outside of this camp experience. Just my opinion of course :) Still, as I said first off - thank you, this has been a wonderfully entertaining read :) Even though I did read ahead when you posted accidentally, I still came back and religiously read every new chapter as it was posted :) Thanks again :) 

Link to comment

Rob.

Yeah, well.

Read - or even wander - through some of my other lightweight novels, and you'll discover Rob's voice turns up in a lot of different forms.  As both a writer and a designer, I'm very much a one-trick pony.

But glad you enjoyed this story.  As I said, it was great fun to tell.

And thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep it in my file.  But I'd really have to dig back to high school for that.  And I was never the athlete Rob is.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..