Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Lore - 39. Chapter 39

“Do you know Roman Holiday?” Andy asked.

“What is it?”

“Obviously, you don’t.”

“Well, if you give me some idea...”

“It’s a movie.”

“Never heard of it.”

“I figured.”

“Is it important?”

We were lying on a king-sized bed in a motel room in Norwich. It was possibly the same one Brian and Julie had been on, and we were as reasonably dressed.

“It just makes me think of the end of summer.”

I thought about that for a moment, but it didn’t make sense.

“You’ll have to explain.”

Instead, he rolled against me again, and we kissed. It was fun, lying in a comfortable bed, only in the light coming in through the thin motel curtains. Just as it had been fun to take a long shower with him, with all those suds and the joking.

“It’s about a princess,” he went on.

“Does she turn into a frog?”

“It’s not a Disney flick.”

“She could still turn into a frog.”

“I think the princes turn into frogs. And I’m about to turn you into one.”

“So I’m a prince?”

“Ribbit.”

Then we waited while we kissed some more.

“It’s about a princess who runs off on a kind of vacation,” he explained. “A Roman Holiday.”

“I don’t know what that means.”

Andy thought for a moment.

“Either do I... I think it’s just a holiday... The movie was set in Rome.”

“She ran off to Rome?”

“Yeah. She was from somewhere like Bulgaria.”

“So not a frog?”

“Not even in the most derogatory sense.”

And I kissed his chest – just ‘cause it was there.

“And that makes you think of the end of summer?” I asked.

“Well, more about facing responsibilities – as she had to.”

I waited.

“Go on.”

“At the end, she goes back to become queen – I think. Maybe Empress. Some figure of responsibility.”

I thought again.

“Who are you talking about?”

“The actress?”

“No.”

“Oh – me.”

“But while we’re at it, who was the actress?”

“Audrey Hepburn.”

“So you’re comparing yourself to Audrey Hepburn?”

“At least, you’ve heard of her.”

My Fair Lady. My mom and sister like it.”

“Not your dad?”

“He’s more of a zombie guy.”

Andy laughed. “Now there’s a gene pool.”

I just lay there, rubbing his belly.

“Anyway,” he went on, “in a week, I’ve got to go back.”

“To being a princess?”

“Being responsible.”

“I knew that.”

“I’m kind of a kept man.”

“Whoa! I didn’t know that.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I thought you lived with your parents.”

“I do... officially... and for school. And I’m in and out of our apartment all the time. But most nights I sleep at Victor’s.”

Again, I waited for him to explain.

“He’s one of my teachers – was. I took a junior level class in what would have been my freshman year, and he discovered my computer skills. First, I replaced his teaching assistant. Then the guy he was sleeping with.”

That was a lot to sort – almost too much. So I just kept rubbing Andy’s belly.

“That feels nice,” he said.

“Thanks.”

“But not even a question on the rest?”

“Too many,” I admitted. “And I didn’t want to embarrass myself.”

“You couldn’t be more vulnerable.”

“Watch me turn into a frog.”

And we just lay there, while I tried to think.

“What did you mean by ‘what would have been your freshman year?’” I finally asked.

He seemed to relax.

“I started school as a sophomore. I had that many AP classes.”

“A dozen?”

“Over. I started taking them in ninth grade.”

“Wow.”

“I was bored.”

“Obviously.”

“That’s how I learned all the computer stuff... And how I could talk myself into a junior class... Well, that and my parents’ background. It was a journalism class.”

“So he’s a writer? Victor?”

“Yeah... as well connected as my parents.”

I’d never asked what they did. I just knew his mom was an editor for the Times.

“Do they know him?” I went on.

“They do now.” He laughed. “Before – only by reputation.”

“How old is he?”

“Forty-eight.”

I laughed. “And you were kidding me?”

“Yeah – it was my private joke.”

And we kissed again.

“I’m really gonna miss you,” he said. “You’re so undemanding.”

He said it smiling – I could see that even in the dim light. So it wasn’t an insult.

“Is that what you mean about being an adult?” I asked. “And about mainly being around older guys?”

He nodded. I could see that, too. But he wasn’t smiling.

“Yeah.... in a week, I go back to being thirty-five. That’s about the best I can pull off.”

“You’ll have to explain that, too. Other than the obvious.”

“It’s just the obvious. If I seem like an adult, he’ll treat me as one – and I get to be around his friends. If I act like I’m nineteen, it’s not even ‘seen and not heard.’ It’s not being invited.”

“And you want to be?”

“Oh, yeah – these are interesting guys. My parents are jealous.”

“Can’t they invite themselves along?”

“Mom would be the only woman in the room. Victor’s much more comfortable with men. And so are the older guys.”

“Older?”

“Some of them are in their eighties – seventies. A lot in their sixties. It’s a salon. A history of gay men in New York.”

“I think I’m jealous, too – if I knew what you were talking about.”

“They’d drool all over you.... even if you acted your age. They’d say, ‘Andy – he’s darling. Where did you find him?’”

“I’m not sure I want to be ‘darling.’”

“You can’t help it.”

“A ‘darling jock?’”

“I’d say ‘my darling jock,’ but you’re not. And I don’t talk about guys that way.”

“But they do.”

“Some of the older ones... As I said, it’s a spectrum.”

I thought about that.

“I don’t know guys like that,” I admitted. “The oldest people I know are my grandparents – in their seventies.”

“And straight. And suburban teachers, from what you’ve said. A whole different world.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m gonna miss this.”

I rolled over, and we kissed again. For a very long time. We might have gone back to having sex, but we’d already done that – several different ways. We’d explored what he’d wanted, and he told me I was far better than Nate. “More responsive. But then, I’d expect you to be.” Now I asked, “Was I more responsive than Victor?”

He knew exactly what I meant.

“Easily.”

“With all his experience?”

“How do you know about his experience?”

“Well, he’s forty-eight.”

Andy laughed. “He was married till he was thirty-six – to a woman... as well known as he is. In many ways, he’s still catching up. And in many, he’s as rigid as Nate.”

“Rigid is good,” I joked.

“You know what I mean.”

“So you replaced his wife? Only lying on your stomach?”

“You could put it that way.”

“It can’t be that bad.”

I knew, because I’d been there, not so much earlier that evening. But with Andy, not a former married man old enough to be my father.

“Do you have a thing for older guys?” I suddenly asked.

“If I did, I wouldn’t be with you.”

“Maybe that’s why you like the counselor.”

“He’s probably twenty-one.”

“Closer.”

“But, yeah – I think older guys are more interesting. Not eighty. Not in bed. But to talk with.”

“Have you ever...”

“No... They’re rude enough to ask – but only half joking. But they wouldn’t offend Victor.”

“And you?”

“He’s a nice guy. I like being with him. Even with the straight guy sex.”

“What’s the wildest thing he’s ever done?”

“Adopted me... kind of.”

“Does that make your folks uncomfortable?”

“A little... The few times we’ve all had dinner together, it was weird. But they soon got so interested in him – and Victor in them – they almost forgot I was at there.”

“Your brother, too?”

“No.... he was off in California. And this was a restaurant – they’ve never been to each other’s homes. Though they’ve gone to some of his faculty parties, and he to some of their professional ones.”

“Were you along?”

“Nope... Not seen and not heard.”

“But they came home and reported?”

“My mom more than anyone. She’s the most accessible.”

“Of ‘the larger world.’”

“What?”

“Something Brian’s always saying. I think you just dragged me into it.”

He didn’t answer.

“You know, you don’t have to go back,” I said.

He shook his head. “I want to – I miss it. I’ll miss you... but I’d miss it more.”

“Even with the bad sex?”

“Sex isn’t everything.”

I just laughed. For a while I couldn’t stop. Till he kissed me quiet.

“Now that was rude,” he said.

“Andy, you’ve been nothing but sex for me – from the moment I woke up on the train.”

“I taught you a little about computers,” he said – just a bit defensive.

“You taught me a lot about computers... And sex.”

“You always seemed to know more than I expected.”

“About which?

“Both... really.”

“Thanks.” I tweaked his nose. “Still, when I think about you, it won’t be to remember the programming. I’ll remember this... Here... Now. And the bushes... And the computer shack... And all our conversations...”

“Not the least bit about the computers?”

And I kissed him so we both wouldn’t laugh. Then we had sex again – a couple different ways. Driving back to camp – Brian had loaned me his car when I asked if he’d drop us in Norwich and pick us up – Andy was pretty quiet.

“What are you thinking about?” I wanted to ask. But I hated being asked that myself. When I was quiet, people should realize that I wanted to be and not interrupt. Instead, I remembered how surprised I was when Brian simply flipped me his car keys.

“But it’s all together now,” I protested. “It looks terrific. And you know how I drive.”

“You were fine all the way back from Binghamton. Downshifting on hills. Passing trucks. Knowing just when to shift.”

“Thanks. I’ll have it back by morning.”

But it wasn’t even two when we pulled back into camp.

“You sure you don’t want to stay?” I’d asked Andy in bed.

“Of course, I want to – I’d love to not sleep all night. I’d love to play... and nap... and play... and take another long shower in the morning then race back for breakfast. But I have a job. It would be unfair to the other counselors... And to the kids.”

“Responsibility?” I said.

“Yep. No more frog prince.”

Copyright © 2020 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..