Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Lore - 43. Chapter 43

Getting to the waterfront, I did just what the guys told me – stayed in the shadows, held to the trees, and avoided the lights when I picked a canoe. We figured that would be quieter than a rowboat, and Brian should be sober enough not to tip it and dunk us.

“There’s a little landing cove on the island,” Steve advised. “Everyone uses it. There’re even places to tie up the boats.”

“I thought Linden didn’t want people there,” I’d said.

“He doesn’t – because if anything happened, he’d be liable. But that’s never stopped kids from exploring.”

“And counselors,” Jim added

“And Linden doesn’t want boats floating away. So he put in the posts.”

“There used to be a house there. That might be why the cove exists.”

“At least, that’s what they tell kids.”

“A haunted house... with a really terrifying ghost.”

“To a seven year old.”

“It eats campers.”

“And does all sorts of scary things.”

“Depending on the warped imagination of the counselor.”

“I don’t know why Linden hires some of these guys.”

“Of course, it’s all bunk.”

“There’s no house... everyone’s looked for it.”

“All of us.”

“For all the years we’ve been here.”

“There’s nothing there.”

“Not a foundation... or chimney.”

“If anything existed, it was probably a shack.”

“A cabin... all wood.”

“All gone.”

“Brian’s the ghost now.... and he’d scare the kids.”

“Mess up and you’ll end up like this.”

“Don’t drink and mess with girls.”

They’d all laughed at that.

“Who’d listen?” Nate had tacked on.

“What if I can’t find the keys?” I’d said to Dan as I was leaving.

“Us the cutters,” he said, resigned.. “We’ll get the cuffs off when you’re back.”

“How?”

“Don’t worry about that,” Steve counseled. “If nothing else, we’ll go to Norwich after breakfast – find a locksmith.”

“How will he get through serving?”

“He’ll tuck the cuffs under a long sleeved shirt.”

“So don’t waste time trying to find the keys.”

“Get in quick. Get out quicker.”

“Limit your risk.”

“Sounds like an investment.”

“Brian’s clothes should be right near his feet.”

“We almost brought them back but figured that was too nasty.”

“But it’d be fun to leave him naked on the island.”

“We did.”

“For a little while.”

“The clothes aren’t piled or anything.”

“We’re not that neat.”

“You’ll have to feel around.”

“But they shouldn’t be far.”

“Will you guys wait up?” I’d asked

“Oh, yeah!” they’d chorused.

“We gotta see his face.”

“You’re lucky... you’ll see him first.”

“If you can see anything in that dark.”

“But don’t use a light.”

“Cut the chain.”

“If you have to.”

“Get Brian in the canoe.”

“Get him dressed first.”

“At least his shorts.”

“Then get back here.”

“So we can all laugh and go to sleep.”

“What if he’s still passed out?” I’d asked.

“He’s got to be sober by now.”

“At least a little.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“And don’t lose the bolt cutters,” Nate had warned.

“And don’t get caught... or we’ll say it was all your fault.”

“That you even stole Dan’s cuffs.”

“We wouldn’t do that to you,” Steve had assured me. “Though it’s a good idea.” He’d grinned.

“So now I’ve got something else to worry about,” I’d joked.

“Just scram,” Nate had cracked.

So I had.

Out on the lake, it was very quiet, and I nearly laughed, remembering that – not an hour before – I’d just wanted to sneak into the bunk, slip out of my clothes, and drift into sleep, happily thinking of Andy. I could still feel him – and smell him – and I wanted to remember that. Instead, I was being a junior Eagle Scout.

I tried as silently as I could to row. But I couldn’t believe I’d never be that comfortable with Andy again. I couldn’t let that happen, and didn’t believe we would – at least not for a while. I still saw two of my guys in the city – Bill and Ron. I even stayed in touch with the third one – Aaron – though we’d only been together once. He kept promising to repeat, but our schedules never matched.

“I kind of like it when it happens spontaneously,” he finally confessed during one call. “It loses something when it’s planned.”

Maybe for him. I wasn’t as sure. “Well, maybe I’ll run into you,” I’d said. “Some night... at that bar.”

“Yeah. I’m there enough.”

But not while I was around – which really wasn’t that often. The bar was in the Village, out of my way, so running into him wouldn’t be spontaneous for me. Though I didn’t need it to be. The same way I didn’t accidentally need to run into Andy.

And what about Katie, and whatever girls came after her, if we really did break up? I couldn’t imagine that not happening, and it had nothing to do with Andy or the summer. There was just so much that Katie and I wanted to explore – that world that Brian kept telling me about – that Katie was out in while I was telling her silly stories about camp.

Still, it would be good to see her – and not just for hanging out as close friends for a college weekend. I was good with girls – confident with them – from all the things I learned from the guys in the city. And I’d learned a lot from Andy. I didn’t want to show that off so much as share it with Katie, without somehow having to explain why I suddenly knew everything I did. That would be what I needed to learn from her.

Focused on the lake, again, I tried to stay out of the lights. They were mainly on tall poles on the waterfront, but the beams spread pretty far – past the furthest raft but nowhere near the island. Less than halfway there, I was in a band of darkness.

As I paddled closer, I could see the landing cove. As the guys said, it was straight across from the HQ, and I saw a number of short posts, painted white. The guys said they had rings on them, but I wouldn’t risk a rope. Once I reached the shore, I beached the canoe, hopped out, and pulled it fully – safely – onto the sand. Then I went to find Brian.

Copyright © 2020 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The guys are going to be in so much trouble when Brian gets back with Rob. I hope Rob is able to find Brian and his clothes so he could get dressed again after the guys took him out to the island and handcuffed him to a tree branch after taking his clothes off him. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..