Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Lore - 34. Chapter 34

After Julie left, Laura may have guessed right and figured that, instead of Brian being relaxed and comfortable for the rest of the summer, he was used to having sex again and might be interested in having some more. Or she might not have been thinking that at all. In any case, she just danced and let Brian come to her – if he was interested.

As for Brian, “Well, here’s the problem,” he said. “I like her. I don’t really care what her reasons are for being interested in me. She’s just a lot of fun, and... well... I like her.”

“Better than Julie?” I asked.

“Unfair question.”

I laughed. “And you know that’s why I’m asking.”

“I won’t tell you.”

“Then ‘just as much’.”

“Different,” he admitted. “Differently.”

“How?”

“You’re prying.”

“I’m learning.”

He considered. “Probably like Katie and Andy.”

I laughed. “So you know about that?”

“Yeah.”

“How long?”

“I don’t know. It just hit me one day that you’re not everything you seem.”

I laughed again. “Yeah.” But then I went in a different direction. “But neither Katie or Andy’s gonna last. Andy never really started.”

“You still see him... Everyday.”

“And you know why. And not for that... I really am learning.”

“Some even about computers.”

“Shut up,” I said, grinning.

He laughed, too. Then went quiet.

“Do you like Laura enough to risk losing Julie?” I asked.

“You know I don’t. Laura’s just a joke – compared. The whole thing is... in a couple of weeks, I’m not gonna mean anything to her. And she won’t to me. In a month, she’ll be back at school... with her friends... And no matter what she said about me ‘being the one guy she’d like to keep as a friend,’ it won’t matter.”

“Then it’s an easy decision.”

“Always was. And you know how long ago I made it. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like Laura... and don’t like seeing her every night. Or that I don’t like flirting.”

“Isn’t that unfair?”

“You always ask the hard questions.”

“Yeah, well...”

“What if I turned it around and asked how you feel about being naked with Andy?”

“You don’t know we’re naked.”

“You just unzip? Or drop your jeans?”

I smiled. “There’s a little more to it.”

“I know that. But if I wanted to learn...?”

“I wouldn’t tell you... Any more than I’d ask – specifically – about you and Julie.”

“But that’s the whole point. You wouldn’t ask because you’re a nice guy and know there are limits. But what if I pushed as hard about what you do specifically as you’re pushing me?”

“It’s different. You’re cheating.”

“And you’re cheating on Katie. But separate from that – if you can even get past that – if I were rude – or stupid – or honestly interested enough to push you that far – would you tell me?”

I needed to think. He had me trapped, and I tentatively began, “If you were honestly interested...”

He cut me off, laughing. “You’re right – you’re a knee-jerk teacher. You’d stomp on your own privacy – humiliate yourself – just to explain something to someone.”

“It’s not humiliating.”

“Call it what you want.”

“And you’d do the same.”

“You’ve probably got me there – but I wouldn’t drop my pants. Not about this.”

“Because you wouldn’t be helping anyone?”

“Just my break-up with Julie.”

“But I might be helping you.”

“By telling me about Andy?”

“By letting you see how you’re treating Laura.”

That surprised him. “Wait a minute,” he stalled. “From the beginning, she’s been the one interested in me. I wouldn’t have even noticed...”

“You didn’t actually – till it was pointed out. But you noticed her.”

“Even you did.”

“What’s this ‘even you?’”

“Well, considering...”

“What? That I caved to Andy a lot faster than you did to Laura?”

“If that’s what it is – was.”

“That’s exactly what it is. And that’s all.”

“So you’re not always interested in guys?”

“Would I be writing to Katie all summer?”

“Could be a cover.”

“It’s not.”

“She could be like a sister.”

“She’s not.”

“You’re sure?

“Sure enough to know that if she showed up here the way Julie just did, you’d be waiting my table for the weekend – and I mean all weekend. Because, as I told you, I’m a lot weaker than you.”

“You told me that, but it didn’t connect.”

“Well, yeah... I caved on the train. That’s how fast I got interested. And if Andy had suggested something that night – if there’d been a place – don’t think I wouldn’t’ve been there.”

He needed to think about that.

“And what about Katie?”

“I’ve told you, I doubt we’ll last. It’s what you said about Laura – we’ve both got too much we want to do – we don’t want limits. It would be great if we stayed friends – I really like her – trust her – depend on her. But besides everything else, we’ll be at different schools.”

“Close enough by.”

“Near enough to make it convenient as we get settle in – get comfortable with new friends. But if I had to bet – as I keep telling you – I give us till Christmas.”

“So nothing really matters to you?”

“That’s not fair, Brian. Everything matters. Until it stops, and something else matters more – sometimes more interesting. And sometimes not... But it’s interesting enough to see if it’s interesting.”

He needed to think that one out.

“I’m not like that,” he finally said. “At least, I don’t think so... I understand the advantages – especially at our age – but Julie really means something to me... maybe more than anyone our age means to you.”

I needed to think that out, too.

“You’re probably right,” I admitted. “And thanks for telling me.” Then I laughed. “Though it turns me right back into a jock.”

“You never were a jock.

“Failed jock – jock manque.”

“Now how do you know that?”

“Three years of French.”

“But why that word? It’s depressing – defeatist. Not like you.”

“Air head Rob?”

“Optimist.”

“As much as you. And you know the word.”

“One of my teachers uses it all the time.”

“Cheerful guy.”

“Woman.”

And we laughed.

“Maybe.”

I thought about the word.

“I don’t know where I picked it up really... maybe a crossword puzzle. I learn all sorts of dumb stuff there.”

“Like?”

“AI – a three toed sloth”

“Not Artificial intelligence?”

“That turns up, too.”

“What else?”

“AL – some kind of African bush – or Australian. I can never remember, and it’s not important. Just so I know the word.”

“Keep going. One more and you’re not a jock manque.”

“QI – Chi – a Chinese life force.”

“Which dynasty?

“Pervasive. From the beginning.”

“Now there’s a word. ‘Pervasive.’ From another vocab quiz?”

“You got it. Now, let’s go swim.”

“Fine. But why now?”

“‘Cause I like to see you sweat.”

Copyright © 2020 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..