Jump to content

Brian: Taking Courage 1. Parborough Chronicles

   (2 reviews)

About to return home after five years working in the Middle East, former soldier Brian has an unreliable ex-girlfriend, a teenage son and a dead-end job to look forward to. Can he take courage, leap into the unknown and accept that his mate Gordon is far more than a friend with benefits.

The story takes place in the English East-Midlands and some of the language might be rather idiomatic.
Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (9 members)

  • Action Packed 4
  • Addictive/Pacing 8
  • Characters 9
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 8
  • Feel-Good 7
  • Humor 7
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 7
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

centexhairysub

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

I would have sworn that I left a review when this was finished but obviously did not, so here it goes.

Great story, well written, and the characters are so interesting and well developed.  There are a couple that you never even really get to meet in the story itself, but you truly feel as if you know them and have a visceral reaction to them when they are mentioned.  

And interesting premise behind the story, but the presentation and the way the story just immediately grabs you; pulls you into it from the first.

A couple of really off beat characters but for the most part, just regular folks that have gone about their lives trying to make the best of their situations.  The live their lives openly and have family and friends that mean a great deal to them.

There are multigenerational members of more than one family; and it is great to see how their lives interwove into each other and those around them.  

I am hoping that @Robert Hugill decides to circle back to these characters at some point, because I would love to have an update on any number of issues.  

Response from the author:

Brian, Gordon et all will be back, I have stories for them and for Ralph in the development stage, wedding, honeymoon and much else besides.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to review
Summerabbacat

· Edited by Summerabbacat

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This story was the introduction for readers to the talents of @Robert Hugill, and what prodigious talents he possesses. The "cast" is not large and most of them, apart from Russ Khan, are ordinary people living ordinary lives. If that sounds boring, well nothing could be further from the truth. 

Robert's characters for the most part are likeable and without artifice. The relationships they establish, and in some cases disestablish, are believable and very well written.

As noted by Robert in his précis of the story, there is some idiomatic language to be found when reading this story, which I invariably found amusing, charming and quintessentially English, and which adds further lustre to a very impressive literary "debut" (at least on this site).

Highly recommended if you like stories which are well written, character driven, and laced with healthy doses of humour and repartee.

A true 5 star experience. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..