Jump to content

No going back

   (8 reviews)

Owain returns to live in his home town, 20 years after leaving when he was disowned his parents for being gay. He needs to rebuild his life following illness and come to terms with his messy family history. There is much to learn and discover, along the way he meets Colin, a builder who has his own family issues. The two explore how to make a life the way that they want, irrespective of the weight of their family experiences.

The story takes place in Cheshire, UK. The main setting, Netherwich, is my invention based on elements of Crewe and Nantwich. The language uses some regional idiom.

The story switches between Owain’s first person narrative and chapters in the third person from Colin’s point of view.
Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (20 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 14
  • Characters 20
  • Chills 4
  • Cliffhanger 7
  • Compelling 18
  • Feel-Good 16
  • Humor 13
  • Smoldering 6
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 12
  • World Building 10

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

drsawzall

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

A multi-faceted tale of Owain and Collin, two men who happen to find themselves despite issues of health, families, and issues residing in the past that come to light.

A sweet, charming story of finding love and making it work! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
Gary L

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A truly delightful slice of two guys, and their families, coming out and being together.  The author has a very good prose style which makes the story flow beautifully.  
Highly recommended. 🙌

  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Link to review
Summerabbacat

· Edited by Summerabbacat

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

As my fellow readers have attested, this is a beautifully told story of two men Owain and Colin. Ordinary mature men, with ordinary lives, getting on with the business of living. After a tentative first meeting their relationship develops and blossoms to the point where they are very comfortable with each other, such that family "issues" are jointly resolved or determined as not worthy worrying about.

Filled with humour and some wonderful local idioms, this story has much to recommend it. A true 5 star experience.

The only "negative" with this story is that it ended. Robert's readers have begged for more of this story and hope that one day in the future the lives of Owain and Colin may be revisited.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
centexhairysub

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

A lovely little story about a man named Owain that goes homes for his father's funeral and to confront his past and how that decision changes so many things in his life.

Truly interesting characters, some from the past, that you never really get to know but they are still compelling how their decisions still reverberated with what was happening in the now.

Well written and the pacing was first rate.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
pvtguy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

If you are looking for an engaging story featuring mature individuals facing various personal life challenges, family interactions (not all positive), and a realistic presentation of mature individuals growing into a great relationship, this story is for you!  I will assure you, you will definitely want a sequel to this volume!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
Cane23

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Two ordinary guys in extraordinary story make this tale unique. Openly gay Owain, disowned by his religious fundamentalist parents is coming home at his father's funeral. Closeted gay Colin, belittled by his own mother and older brother is insecure, lacking in self-confidence about his sexuality and his body. Owain engages Colin's constructing company to renovate the house, and that's how their journey starts. Following this story has been like sitting in a traditional English pub and listening two very good friends speaking about their everyday life: ups and downs, insecurities, family issues, holidays. There is no big melodrama with these guys but, at the end of the story, when we look back, we can see how much they achieved, both personally and as a couple.

Hope that author will find inspiration for book 2, as with Owain, Colin, their families and friends, you can never get bored. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
Doha

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

The story of Owain and Colin, No Going Back, will bring a smile to your face in every chapter. 

This is a story of two ordinary men, who live ordinary lives doing ordinary things; and, yet out of the ordinary, a sweet and enduring love emerges that prompts us to consider that within all our ordinary lives, lies the extraordinary, if we will be open to it. 

A fabulous read.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
akascrubber

· Edited by akascrubber

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

What an interesting story of two men and their families as they connect, conflict and grow. One moves back to town after an illness and develops a closer relationsip with his sister and her son. This man grows to really like his builder who is making a home they will eventually share They find common ground and stand on their own helping both their families see them better. There are some holdouts. Life is not perfect. BTW, a large inheritance arrives and is going to be used for wholesome purposes and does not cause conflict among the main figures. They grow up. You end wanting to read more about the two male stars. They are just starting out,,,,

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..