Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 1,781 Words
  • 4,441 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 6. Dance Floor Revelations

Finally! A break in the daily routine! And what a break!
Adult language.

We settled into a comfortable routine for the next few days. Dave coaching me in the mornings by the pool, regular volleyball with the guys, lazy afternoons by the pool, dinner out at different places at night. By Saturday, I'm getting restless, so Greg, Jonathan, David and I joined our volleyball partners for a day at the beach. It was a change of scenery, but I was still antsy, so when one of the guys suggested drinks and dancing for Saturday night, I was ready.

After dinner, we all headed to one of the clubs one of the guys suggested. Probably 10:30 pm or so when we arrived. “Trash Disco Night” according to the signs. Yeah, it was a gay club—and I was ok with it, figured I'd grab a few drinks, enjoy watching the crowd, relax with the music. Never danced with a guy, but really didn't figure that'd happen. Hell, never been to a gay bar before, but a bar's a bar, right?

Walking in past the bar, I'd noticed the nicely-sized crowd, mostly guys, but a few women coupled off near a pool table in back past the dance floor. Various sized groups out on the patio in back, or walking in from the beach. A few couples dancing on the patio barefoot, sandals piled on the side. Back inside, we grabbed a couple of tables, and pushed 'em together for our group of 10. Steven, one of our volleyball guys, took our drink orders and went to the bar for 'em, Jonathan following to help shuttle 'em back to our table.

Casual banter went on at the table as we all made small talk. A few of our guys headed to the dance floor, but one of the volleyball guys asked all about me, and I gave him a brief spiel using the info Dave had given me about my past, ending with, “...and I'm still trying to decide what career I wanna pursue next.” Seemed to satisfy the guy's curiosity, and the conversation moved on. Must have done ok with my “past”, Dave was next to me, looked, nodded, and smiled when I was done.

All through the evening, Larry—Mr. Grabber in Yellow Speedos—kept watching me. Not making me uncomfortable, but enough that I noticed. He was also keeping an eye on Dave, too. When the guys next to me headed to the dance floor, he moved beside me from the other side of the table. “How are you liking your vacation here?”

It's been good. Really enjoying the break, helping clear the head. Last few weeks have done a number on me.” Am I the master of understatement or what?

Great that you and David were able to schedule to be off at the same time. How long have y'all been together?”

Hoisting my second drink, I sipped it, and responded, “ Yeah, it just worked out that way. David and I are good friends, so great to have his company. We aren't a couple.”

Larry smiled big. “Ok, just didn't wanna step on any toes. He's quite a stud.” And with that, he leaned across my back, tapped Dave on the shoulder, spoke across my back and said, “Come dance with me, David.”

David looked at me, smiled, nodded, then pushed back and headed to the dance floor with Mr. Speedo. Obvious that Larry was flirting with Dave, but Dave just kept smiling and dancing.

Earth, Wind, and Fire's “September” came on, and everyone in the bar crowded onto the dance floor. One of our volleyball buddies grabbed my hand, I downed the drink, and headed out to the floor with him. This is a first—dancing with a guy?

The floor was packed, everyone having fun. Looked over at David, he's smiling and laughing, having fun like everyone else. Larry was right next to him—no room on the floor to spread out at all.

The DJ seamlessly transitioned into “Disco Inferno”, the dancing got more frantic, most guys peeling off their shirts. All of our group had packed the shirts in the back of their shorts, and were dancing like crazy. When in Rome......so I took off my shirt too. Everyone having fun, surprisingly me, too.

I'd lost sight of Dave and Larry—the floor that crowded—and my dance partner leaned in. “Looks like you're having fun, and you're a damn good dancer.”

Just grinned back, “Yeah, I am having fun! And you've got some nice moves yourself.” Been a while since I've danced at all, and was feeling remarkably relaxed about it all. Maybe the couple of scotches since I've been here have kicked in.

Chaka Khan's “I'm Every Woman” fades in and the crowd is fired up—everyone dancing hard, sweating, bodies pushed together, definitely a current of both physical and sexual energy. And after a couple of bars into the song, I look around and spot Dave and Larry.

It looks like they're having sex on the dance floor. Larry's butt is packed against Dave's crotch, both shirtless, Larry's head thrown back and around onto Dave's shoulder, saying something in his ear. Dave suddenly grins big at something he's saying, and Larry stretches further back to kiss him.

I have no clue what I'm feeling inside—but it's strong, and protective. Maybe it is jealousy. But there's also a sexual component, because it's sexual as hell watching 'em and I'm chubbing up.

My dance partner leans in, grabs me by the shoulders, speaks in my ear, “Wouldn't mind doing a little private dancing with you later.” And promptly kisses me while his hand runs down my bare back to grab my ass.

Surprised, I pull away, try to smile, and gave a non-committal, “We'll see”.

Glancing around to see who saw that—I'm a little embarrassed by his display—notice Dave looking at me, strange look on his face, intense look in his eyes. Haven't see that look before.

The song ends, everyone gets fresh drinks, and we all head out to the patio to cool down, struggling to pull t-shirts down over our sweaty bodies. Most of the group heads down to the beach, walking away in pairs or trios. Jonathan and Greg are the last to leave, with just Dave and me still on the deck.

Looked like you were having fun back there with your buddy. Do I need to find another spot to sleep tonite and give you and your buddy some privacy?” Dave's face shows no emotion.

I immediately shot back. “I was about to ask you the same thing—is that a pistol in your pocket,” nodding toward his crotch, “ or are ya just glad to be almost fucking on the dance floor?”. And it came out far harsher than I thought—really was trying to make a joke, but it fell flat.

Yeah, that is a pistol. See?” And with that, Dave looked around to make sure no one noticed, pulled up the bottom of his t-shirt, reached into the waistband of his cargo shorts, and pulled up a few inches of the small 9mm pistol I'd seen on the nightstand earlier. “Yeah, the dancing was fun, but I've got a job to do—taking care of you.”

And with that, I both lost the relaxed mood I was in, and felt embarrassed. How can I possibly feel funny about Dave and innocent flirting on the dance floor, when he's on the clock nonstop for me?

Awkward silence. Didn't know exactly what to say.

Finally, “I'm sorry, Dave. I was out of line. You've got your life to live, and it's not up to me to say how ya live it. Just, like I've said, you're all I've got right now, and guess I'm not dealing with it well—I've never had to be dependent on anyone else before. And don't know how I view Larry and you, but it really shouldn't be any of my business.”

Dave's face softened, and he smiled. “I understand, Barry, and I'm sorry, too. I was giving you a hard time over that guy, and that's unfair. You've got your life, too, and guess I'm just being overly protective or something. Maybe even jealous myself.”

We looked at each other, smiled small smiles, maybe both a little red-faced.

Guess I need to realize you're a part of my life now, and will be for a while. I promise I'll try not to be so needy.” Hoped my apology was enough to help us get back to the relaxed friendship we'd been building.

And I'll promise to try to let ya lead your own life as much as possible—and keep that ugly green monster out of the way.” Dave grinned with his recognition of his interest in me, and his jealousy.

And with that, we were back to normal—well, as normal as we could be at the moment. The timing was perfect, as the guys all headed back in for more drinks from the beach.

We all danced a few more dances that night, with Dave asking me to dance before we headed back to the bed and breakfast. There was a song playing as we got to the dance floor, but it faded out, replaced by Whitney Houston's “Saving All My Love for You”. Dave pulled me close, arms around my back at my waist, my forearms on his shoulders, hands clasped behind his neck.

Glad we got our first fight out of the way.” Dave grinned big. “I'm sorry.” And with that, he leaned in and kissed me on the neck.

I'm sorry, too, but you do know I appreciate your taking care of me, right? I guess I do care for you maybe more than I'd like to admit.”

And with that, I leaned in and up slightly—and kissed my lawman. Even had a little tongue. And it was great. And I'm not hiding behind the scotches I've had, either. Don't know what that feeling is, but it felt good—natural.

Let's get out of here, Dave. Been a long day.” Dave grabbed my hand, pulled me off the floor, and after saying goodbyes to the group, Jonathan, Greg, Dave, and I headed out.

That night, again with the lights out, David reached out and again squeezed my hand on the mattress between us, just like he'd done every night since we'd been here.

Not enough, Dave.” And with that I moved his arm up toward the head of the bed, scooted over, and used his shoulder as a pillow, his arm moving protectively behind me.

Yeah, I slept like a baby.

Thanks for hanging in on the story--there's far more to come!
I'll be publishing a chapter every 5 days or so up until the week of Christmas, when I'll be out of town with family obligations. Check back regularily for updates!
Thank you for your comments, and like--they mean a lot, and keep me going!
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Still loving it. This is every gay man's fantasy, I guess, and you're doing it well. Still a little short on the chapters. Can't you publish 2 as one next time round? Barely what's the appetite lol

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/16/2014 01:26 AM, Ben Highlander said:
Still loving it. This is every gay man's fantasy, I guess, and you're doing it well. Still a little short on the chapters. Can't you publish 2 as one next time round? Barely what's the appetite lol
Glad you're enjoying it, Ben! And, no, I would never be one to tease with partial chapters! I just let the story flow as it wants--but at least the chapters are keeping your interest up.

Thanks for following the story!

Rex

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

To me this was an almost perfect chapter. The drama on the dance floor was subtle but effective in helping Barry clarify some things going on in his head. I like that Barry is straight up about his feelings and doesn't run from them or let them paralyze him. It takes a confidence and an openess that I admire greatly. Dave is perfect so far in that he lets Barry take the lead and doesn't push...but he doesn't hide his feelings either. These men are refreshing and real and you tell the story in a captivating way, ever mindful of the situation that they are in. This is human drama at its best and I think I will be a fan of David, Barry, and Robert Rex for years to come. Kudos and cheers...Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I just "binge-read" these 6 chapters - Wow!! Great story! I can "see" and "feel" this really happening! I'm so glad you're writing this. Thank you for your work, but then again I'm already a fan :-)

-Kevin

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/16/2014 08:28 PM, CNJKevin said:
I just "binge-read" these 6 chapters - Wow!! Great story! I can "see" and "feel" this really happening! I'm so glad you're writing this. Thank you for your work, but then again I'm already a fan :-)

-Kevin

Kevin, thanks for reading--and following--thie story! Glad you're enjoying it.

There's more ahead, so hang on. Think you'll be surprised at some of the things ahead.

Thanks for following the story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/16/2014 04:41 PM, Headstall said:
To me this was an almost perfect chapter. The drama on the dance floor was subtle but effective in helping Barry clarify some things going on in his head. I like that Barry is straight up about his feelings and doesn't run from them or let them paralyze him. It takes a confidence and an openess that I admire greatly. Dave is perfect so far in that he lets Barry take the lead and doesn't push...but he doesn't hide his feelings either. These men are refreshing and real and you tell the story in a captivating way, ever mindful of the situation that they are in. This is human drama at its best and I think I will be a fan of David, Barry, and Robert Rex for years to come. Kudos and cheers...Gary
Thanks for the review, Gary! I, too, find Barry's direct approach refreshing--no games--but I'm growing to appreciate Dave's "everything in its own time" approach. Dave's obvious interest is tempered by his profession's requirements, but the interest comes through clearly.

There's definately more developing between these two. And plenty more to be told in this story.

Thanks for following along!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Damn! I thought this was it, for sure.....but no, tease us a little more. You are bad, worse than I imagined. Hot song list, by the way. I had to check out "September" on YouTube, hadn't heard it in years. The other cuts were good , too. Definitely a musical prelude to gettin' down and dirty. Well, I am going to exercise some restraint and pause for tonight, saving the next three chapters for tomorrow. Great storytelling.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 01/01/2015 11:21 AM, charlieocho said:
Damn! I thought this was it, for sure.....but no, tease us a little more. You are bad, worse than I imagined. Hot song list, by the way. I had to check out "September" on YouTube, hadn't heard it in years. The other cuts were good , too. Definitely a musical prelude to gettin' down and dirty. Well, I am going to exercise some restraint and pause for tonight, saving the next three chapters for tomorrow. Great storytelling.
Me? A tease? Nah......just sometimes the mating dance can be a little longer for some more than others!

Glad ya liked the music. It's definitely a part of the story line, giving clues to the emotions at play on the dance floor.

Thanks for the review!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Poor Larry, he must have been disappointed. He carefully and politely asked and still no cigar. But Barry and Dave are heading for a relationship. Will that be able to work with Barry in the witness protection program?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Finally Barry is getting closer to admitting he might be able to see Dave as more than just a friend. Love the sparks of jealousy. And... onward :read: (finally got me some time to read, not just write and edit)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 03:03 PM, craftingmom said:
Finally Barry is getting closer to admitting he might be able to see Dave as more than just a friend. Love the sparks of jealousy. And... onward :read: (finally got me some time to read, not just write and edit)
Remarkable how a conflicting emotion like jealously can bring other emotions into clearer view, isn't it?

Glad you're reading along!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is nothing more vibrant and alive than the crowded dance floor in a gay club. It's been a while since I've been lured by the flashing lights,thumping bass line,scent of sweat,cologne and testosterone......but you captured the night beautifully.

It's also good to see that Barry and Dave can both be honest with each other as well as respectful of their feelings. Attraction is something that either happens or it doesn't..........It's definitely happening here!!!!!!

Great chapter..........thanks for the memory.................Mike

Think I wanna go dancin'

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/19/2015 09:36 AM, flamingo136 said:
There is nothing more vibrant and alive than the crowded dance floor in a gay club. It's been a while since I've been lured by the flashing lights,thumping bass line,scent of sweat,cologne and testosterone......but you captured the night beautifully.

It's also good to see that Barry and Dave can both be honest with each other as well as respectful of their feelings. Attraction is something that either happens or it doesn't..........It's definitely happening here!!!!!!

Great chapter..........thanks for the memory.................Mike

Think I wanna go dancin'

Definately think you need to go dancing--regularily!

Hell, get your ass here, and we'll take over a place together!

Glad you're liking the story!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2014 at 8:41 AM, Headstall said:

To me this was an almost perfect chapter. The drama on the dance floor was subtle but effective in helping Barry clarify some things going on in his head. I like that Barry is straight up about his feelings and doesn't run from them or let them paralyze him. It takes a confidence and an openess that I admire greatly. Dave is perfect so far in that he lets Barry take the lead and doesn't push...but he doesn't hide his feelings either. These men are refreshing and real and you tell the story in a captivating way, ever mindful of the situation that they are in. This is human drama at its best and I think I will be a fan of David, Barry, and Robert Rex for years to come. Kudos and cheers...Gary

Yeah. I can see myself being a fan of these guys and of Robert Rex. 

Link to comment

This is my first Robert Rex novel and I'm loving it. ❤ 

Edited by Doha
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..