Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 3,258 Words
  • 4,714 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 10. A Night of Surprises

The return trip to Dallas is underway--but it certainly is anything but uneventful!

Memorial Day Monday. Gonna be a busy day.

Dave reviewed the plans for the day over breakfast by the pool. We'll check out of the B&B at 3, head to the local airport, fly back to Dallas, get into lodging there, and prepare to stay the estimated month or so for the trial. Dave also reminded Greg, Jonathan, and me to be on full alert for anything off-kilter during the day or as we travel. Think the incident yesterday of the guy wanting to do a Facebook selfie with me is making everyone just a little paranoid—and a little more aware of how much can happen, and how quickly problems can occur as this storm approaches landfall. Those winds are definitely picking up.

Spent the rest of the morning by the pool, and despite rewarding ourselves with mimosas or bloody marys, tensions were high. Everyone knows Dallas is a pivot point on all of this. Greg and Jonathan brought back sandwiches and pasta salad from a local deli after running errands to finalize their trip plans.

We broke up after lunch, and went back to our rooms to get ready for check out. Dave and I took a quick nap and finished packing. Met Greg and Jonathan in the lobby and headed to the airport.

Jonathan pulled the Suburban onto the tarmac; Greg and Dave jumped out, sandwiched me between 'em, and escorted me into the plane. After I was on board, the guys unloaded our bags and threw 'em into the hold. Jonathan pulled the Suburban off to one side of a hanger, boarded--and we were off. Fast, efficient workers.

We talked on board plane, Dave allowed us one drink each and we tried to relax. Landed at Love Field in Dallas, were met with another Suburban, with driver and another guy that Dave had arranged to ferry the Suburban to us. Luggage unloaded, the driver left with his buddy. Dave then allowed Greg, Jonathan, and me off the plane and we piled into the Suburban with Dave driving.

“Hate to be so secretive, Barry, but I had to be careful. If you think about it, no one has seen you enter or leave the plane but us. It's probably paranoia on my part, but think the fewer folks that know we're here, the better.”

“I'd wondered about that whole 'get on the plane first, get off last' thing, so glad ya explained it. Makes sense. Now, where are we headed?”

At that moment we turned from Mockingbird onto Stemmons Expressway, and topped a small rise in the highway—and got a full panoramic view of downtown Dallas, lit by the golds and bronzes of the setting sun. Reunion Tower already had the lights on its “ball” turned on, and the whole city glimmered. Whatever is ahead, I know this may be one of my last views of this great, vibrant city. I tried to burn this image into my mind—so much so that I missed what Dave had said about our lodging. “Sorry, I missed what ya said, Dave...would you repeat it?”

“We maintain a few units at a condo complex downtown close to the Federal Building. It's a smaller, private complex. Many of the units' owners are out-of-town businessmen who regularly visit Dallas, enough so they can justify purchase of a unit for stay-overs or entertainment. A few of the units are leased to the government for use by bank examiners, EPA site inspectors, or other employees who need longer-term places to stay. There are full-time residents on floors below us, but our floor is fully corporate leased, and as fate would have it, no other units on our floor have guests in them right now.”

We're there in minutes. Pull up to a high-rise building, maybe 20 or so floors, balconies dotting the outside. There's a parking garage entrance with keypad access to the elevator. Dave jumps out, I get out, and arrive just as the elevator doors open. He and I get in, and he's yelling back to the guys, “I'll be back to get the bags in a few minutes,” just as the doors close.

Dave enters a code on the keypad inside; we're whisked directly to the 14th floor. Doors open, follow Dave to the end of the hall, he opens the door with another keypad by the doorknob, and ushers me in.

Inside is typical of what you'd find in an extended-stay Marriott; comfortable, relaxed. There's a small kitchen over to the right of the entrance, a giant combo living/dining room ahead, with a door off to either side of the living area opening to the bedrooms. An additional door on the immediate left opens to a guest bath shared with the guest bedroom. The entire outside wall of the living area is glass, and opens onto a full balcony with patio table and chairs. Nice.

“Haven't gotten the fridge stocked yet, so we'll hafta order from the restaurant up on the top floor tonight, Barry. The food is good, they'll deliver it to us, and bill the room.”

There's a knock at the door. Three raps, a pause, a single rap.

Dave grins. “That's the coded knock. Only folks who know we're here will use it. Don't open the door for anyone else, ok?”

It's Jonathan and Greg with a luggage cart, just like in hotels. “We got all the luggage loaded here, no need to go back down for the stuff.” Greg starts manhandling the bags, looks at Dave. “Where do ya want this?” Dave points to the master bedroom on the right, while Jonathan picks up the remaining bags.

As they come out, I fish around in my pants, find a five, and pass it to Greg, smiling. “Thanks for the great service!” I'm grinning big.

Greg laughs. “It'll at least cover a beer—maybe two if it's happy hour. Thanks, mister!” And we all laugh—he's certainly no bellhop.

“We'll be right next door, so just knock if you need something, sir.” He does a mock bow, and he and Jonathan are gone, presumably unpacking next door.

After everything is unpacked, we both decide a shower would be great to relax with after a long day. I hit the shower first, dry off, pull on boxer-briefs, sitting in the living room cooling off after too hot a shower. Looking over the menu, I've decided on a steak from the restaurant upstairs when Dave comes out, still damp from the shower, black hair combed but still damp, towel wrapped around his waist.

He's looking at the menu, and there's a “whap, whap” at the door. Two knocks. Then silence. Dave's face goes grim.

He goes into the guest bedroom, and lightly knocks in a code on that wall. Dave does 2 knocks, pauses, then 2 more.

He comes out, races into the master, and comes back out with a 9 millimeter pistol in hand. “Hide in the bath,” he mouths to me, then waves the gun toward the master.

Two more raps on the door. Silence. They're still there. I'm frozen in place.

Sounds of shouting can be heard outside; I recognize Jonathan's voice. “Don't fuckin' move. Hands up.” Lowered voice talking.

Seconds later, the coded knock on the door, Dave keeps the gun in hand, but never fully lowers it. He answers the door, still damp and in the towel. Outside are two guys in dress shirts and ties. There are a couple of guys behind them, one in a cowboy hat, the other in casual golf shirt, but they're positioned so I don't see their faces.

“Found these guys outside, Dave. Think you're gonna want to let 'em in.” Jonathan's smiling bigger than I've ever seen, despite the gun in his hand. Greg's right behind him, gun in his hand too, smiling big as well.

“David Alexander, I'm Rusty Dodd, FBI, this is my partner Don Jackson.” Guys in maybe their mid-30's, but at first glance look far younger. He presents his wallet with ID and badge, as does his partner. “Sorry we caught you at a bad time”, as he eyes Dave's near naked damp body, “but we've got some visitors for your guest.” And with that the agents clear the doorway, and I can see the men standing behind them clearly.

Holy fuck, it's my boys!

I'm rooted in the spot again, can't move, crying, the boys race in grab me on either side. They're crushing me, sobbing into my shoulders—and it's the best fucking feeling I've had in a while.

“How? Why.......?” Can't get the words out, both from being overcome with emotion, trying to breathe through my crying; hell, trying to get a breath from the crush of my boys' arms around my chest.

“Let's just say they were awfully persuasive with the Assistant Director.” Rusty is grinning himself. “They threatened to take the whole mess to the press, tell them we were holding them against their will, and were going to reveal details of the case that would derail the prosecution unless we let them be here with their Dad. The director relented, so they're now here for the duration of the trial. He authorized us to use the rooms across the hall so they can see you as much as you want.”

“We've been protecting them the whole time, and we've never seen anyone so determined to make this happen. You've got some great boys here.”

“Thanks...I know. The best.” I'm both laughing and crying, overwhelmed with happiness.

Suddenly realize I'm standing there in my underwear. “Guys, let me put on some clothes. I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere, ok?” I grab my boys and hug 'em again before heading to the bedroom to quickly get dressed.

Dave says he needs to get dressed too, and follows me into the bedroom. I quickly throw on jeans, t-shirt, still barefoot, and go back out. Dave's back out a few minutes later in t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops.

“Rusty and Don went across the hall to get our stuff unloaded. They'll be back in a few minutes.” Cory comes up and grabs me again. It's like neither he nor Trey can keep their hands off me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's the coded knock at the door again; Dave opens it. Jonathan and Greg are both standing there grinning, Greg with a bottle of Jack in each hand, Jonathan with a tray of glasses and a couple of containers of ice, a two liter bottle of Coke under his arm. “We figured you could use this about now,” Jonathan grins.

“Yup, come on in guys, and get to know my boys.” I'm giddy; such a rush to have 'em here.

We all have drinks, and I introduce Dave, Jonathan and Greg to the boys. (“Oh, you're the Dave that got our gifts to us.”) Trey and Cory fill me in on the friendship they've build with Rusty and Don, who've also returned after changing into casual clothes.

Dave raises his hands in a “stop” motion. “Boys, it's great to have you here, but keep in mind there's no discussion allowed here about anything on the case. It's for your own security, ok? But, I've got to know: what do you know about the case that you were able to convince the Assistant Director of the FBI to allow you here? And did you tell him that information?”

Trey looks at Dave with a guilty look. “Nothing. We don't know anything about the case. We were bluffing....we did what we had to do to get here. But I'm not sorry I lied.”

“Wait, wait. You faked out the Assistant Director of the FBI? And he bought it?” Dave cracks up in laughing, immediately joined by all the agents, then me too. Trey is laughing and high-fives Cory.

“It worked, didn't it?” Cory is giggling. “Didn't think we could pull that off, but we did.”

The agents are all but rolling on the floor, holding their sides.

The rest of the evening is a happy mix of laughter and relaxing, and a great break from the weight of the trial's start tomorrow. We ordered steaks from the restaurant upstairs, had 'em delivered to Jonathan and Greg's room so no one knows we're here,. Everyone relaxed with another drink after dinner.

I was able to get caught up with how the boy's school went, how they're dealing with our separation, what their plans are for the summer. It's all sounding good; the boys seem to be doing ok. Hope they'll still handle things that way when “The Plan” kicks in, whenever that is. The Assistant Director is responsible for that.

By 10 pm, the conversation is starting to die down. Rusty heads across the hall to the unit he'll be sharing overnight with the boys. Don is surprising his wife at home—they live south of Dallas, and she doesn't know he's in town. Jonathan and Greg head to their condo next door, but only after Dave huddles with them near the door to fill them in on plans for tomorrow morning.

After everyone's gone, Dave makes a pit stop in the bathroom. While he's gone, Trey and Cory focus on me from the sofa across the coffee table. “Ok, dad, who is this Dave?” Trey lobs off the question with a knowing look.

“He's my handler during the case, and he's become a good friend. He's a very special man. Why?”

“Look, dad, we saw you both go in the same bedroom to get dressed. When we're talking out here, you're finishing each others' sentences. And when he talks, you're hanging on to every word he says. Hell, when you talked about him on the phone with us, your voice changed, got softer, warmer. So now, dad, anything you wanna tell us?” Dammit, Trey is just as direct as me and Cory hasn't lost his laser stare.

I can feel the heat on my cheeks, and Dave arrives back from the bathroom, takes a look at me, then sits, stoic. No help from him on this.

Dave breaks the silence. “What's going on guys?”

“Dad, are you gay?” Trey just dives into this quicksand.

“Is Dave your lover? How long have you been together?” Damn, Cory is just as direct. And now he's focused directly on Dave, not maliciously, but expecting answers.

Dave does a quick inhale, and I see him clench and relax his fists, trying to relax. His jaw is set in place. This one's on me.

Keep telling myself honesty is the best policy. Even though I'm not ready to open this box with 'em, here goes....

“Ok, guys, really not ready for this discussion, but I'll tell ya what I know so far.” God, what a nebulous beginning. Need to be more direct.

“I don't know if I'm gay, bi, or what. I've never had feelings for a guy before, but I've developed 'em for Dave since all this started. I never got emotionally involved with a guy when your mom and I were together. Can't say I'm gay, since I haven't really been attracted to any other guys. It's just Dave. It's just...him. I feel things with him that I really don't know how to talk about—it's all new to me. I'm still working through all this.”

“Are we lovers? Dave and I have never had that discussion. But he's a good man, kind and considerate, damn good at his job, too. I have no clue where my feelings are going, but I'm open to the possibility of a relationship with him—and I think he's open to that with me.”

I grab Dave's hand and squeeze. He squeezes back at me and smiles. Cory's sitting showing no emotion, Trey's mouth drops open a little when he sees our hands link.

“And, if you're going to ask who does what to whom, well....that's a discussion that simply isn't going to happen.” And I give a little grin. “I've never asked that about your relationships.”

“Look, I know you guys have been through the wringer in the last month or so—and so have I. Everything in my life is up in the air. Dave is the one stable person in my life, and depending on how I can figure things out, I'd be damn proud—and lucky—if he sticks it out with me. Now, ask away. I know you've got questions.”

An eternity of silence. Can't read either of my boys' faces.

Cory moves, digs his wallet out of his jeans, pulls out a twenty, and hands it to Trey.

“Trey said something was going on with you two. I'm settling up on the bet.” Corey grins. My turn for the open-mouthed look.

“Look, dad, Trey and I talked about this before we left to come up here, after you gave us our gifts. I'll be the first to say I don't understand it all, but we both want you to be happy again. We miss our happy dad and want him back. If Dave can make you happy, we'll be ok with it.” Trey nods in agreement, a shit-eating grin on his face.

“Told ya so!” He looks at Cory and laughs.

Do I have the best kids on the planet? Can I love 'em any more?

Dave squeezes my hand—I'd forgotten I was holding it—his eyes almost overflowing with tears. They got to him too. He swallows hard to clear the lump in his throat—the lump that matches mine.

“Anytime you want to talk about this or anything else, you know you can talk to me. Not sure I can give you solid answers, but I'll be as honest with you as I can. And I want you to get to know Dave, too, and treat him like you would me. You'll find him to be as solid a guy as you've ever met.” I stand, Dave stands beside me. “Now, give your old man a hug, then head to bed. You guys have a lot to talk about, and I've got a big day tomorrow.”

The boys jump the coffee table and damn near do full body tackles on me, their hugs are so tight. Maybe best of all, both Cory and Trey reach out, and drag Dave into the hug. The four of us just stand there holding each other quietly for a few minutes. May have cried a little, but I've done enough of that lately, so I'm not admitting to anything.

Angels have gotta be singing watching this!

“Ok, boys, now off to bed. We'll talk later.” And brief hugs again for me and Dave from both of 'em and they're out the door across the hall to their room.

Dave lets out a long deep breath. “Damn, you're good. And your boys are special beyond belief. First bluffing the Assistant Directory, then handling all this.” He just shakes his head and smiles. “Damn.” Didn't really think what a weight this might be on him, but it's off now.

“Long day, buddy...let's hit the sack.”

Dave looks at me. “Want me in there?” He points to the guest room.

“Nope.” And I smile.

We strip down, crawl in bed, snuggle close, and Dave turns out the light. No talking tonight.

Tonight has been a big night—we both know tomorrow is a big day.

And we're both asleep before either one knows it.

Thank you for sticking with the story! Your "likes", reviews, and "follow this story" are a real encouragement!
Which brings up a point: lots of GayAuthors "newbies" are reading this story--you may be a newbie on this site, but you're here because you enjoy the reading experience, and you've got finely developed reading skills. Your comments on the stories you read, mine and others, will help make the stories and site better for readers and writers. C'mon, don't be shy--leave a review! Ask questions. Tell me what you're thinking. (Just be nice--I'm delicate.) Your voice matters here.
The next chapter will be out on the 10th. And, if you use "follow this story", you'll get an email anytime a new chapter is added.
Thanks again for reading the story...and your comments.
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Got my days mixed up and wasn't expecting to see this 'til tomorrow--a nice surprise. The speeded up pace of the trip from Key West back to Dallas made for good atmosphere. Having Barry's sons appear was an unexpected twist.......could be a major complication, sure hope not. It will be hard enough to keep Barry protected without adding in two more vulnerable individuals. And then, to top things off.....the boys' bet! Trey's astuteness got him twenty bucks. More, more, more (how I like it).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 12:02 AM, charlieocho said:
Got my days mixed up and wasn't expecting to see this 'til tomorrow--a nice surprise. The speeded up pace of the trip from Key West back to Dallas made for good atmosphere. Having Barry's sons appear was an unexpected twist.......could be a major complication, sure hope not. It will be hard enough to keep Barry protected without adding in two more vulnerable individuals. And then, to top things off.....the boys' bet! Trey's astuteness got him twenty bucks. More, more, more (how I like it).
Thanks for the kind words!

Yup, the storyline is speeding up--after all, landfall (and the storm's strength) is increasing!

For me, the most appealing thing is Cory's reaction: "I don't understand, but want you happy". I don't know that anyone could hope for a better response to such a sudden development!

Keep reading...more ahead.

Thanks for the review!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great 'feel good' chapter before what I presume will be the crap hitting the fan. Looking forward to Monday morning and the courthouse!

As always, your dialogue and concise comments are a pleasure to read.

 

C

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 12:50 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Great 'feel good' chapter before what I presume will be the crap hitting the fan. Looking forward to Monday morning and the courthouse!

As always, your dialogue and concise comments are a pleasure to read.

 

C

Thanks, Carlos--from an accomplished writer like you, those are words of high praise!

Yup, get ready....the courthouse will prove to be an interesting place.

Thanks again for the review and kind words!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Very emotional but also very real. I'm beginning to hope that they can relocate all three of them together. I'm sure that will console for the loss of football + girlfriend and for loss of boyfriend. But it all hinges on the boys keeping away from the press from now on and the FBI needs to start erasing photos all over the place. I'm sure they have already gotten a media block out ready.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 03:19 AM, Timothy M. said:
Very emotional but also very real. I'm beginning to hope that they can relocate all three of them together. I'm sure that will console for the loss of football + girlfriend and for loss of boyfriend. But it all hinges on the boys keeping away from the press from now on and the FBI needs to start erasing photos all over the place. I'm sure they have already gotten a media block out ready.
You'll hafta keep reading...

Appreciate your comments, and your following along!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

With what Barry is facing and what he has already gone through I can't imagine a better gift than the surprise visit from his sons. That was a very emotional scene for me and a very satisfying one. Barry's explanation of how he felt about Dave and the defining of what is was to both of them at this point, was perfect. Once again he showed how he faces things head on and his son's supportive response reveal to me that for any faults he has, Barry did a great job as a father. That is often the measure of a man in my books. The twenty dollar bet was hilarious and served to really lighten the mood, filled with heavy emotion. The group hug was the best way possible to end that scene, with Dave being pulled into it. This felt a lot like the calm before the storm and exactly what Barry needed before he faces what is coming up...Landfall approaches...A truly skillful job on a truly wonderful chapter, Robert....Kudos...Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 06:06 AM, Headstall said:
With what Barry is facing and what he has already gone through I can't imagine a better gift than the surprise visit from his sons. That was a very emotional scene for me and a very satisfying one. Barry's explanation of how he felt about Dave and the defining of what is was to both of them at this point, was perfect. Once again he showed how he faces things head on and his son's supportive response reveal to me that for any faults he has, Barry did a great job as a father. That is often the measure of a man in my books. The twenty dollar bet was hilarious and served to really lighten the mood, filled with heavy emotion. The group hug was the best way possible to end that scene, with Dave being pulled into it. This felt a lot like the calm before the storm and exactly what Barry needed before he faces what is coming up...Landfall approaches...A truly skillful job on a truly wonderful chapter, Robert....Kudos...Gary
Glad ya liked it, Gary!

I've been impressed with Barry from the start--he's not afraid to just dive in and attack any subject out there. And, think is honesty also affected his boys' responses. Had he even partially lied, they'd have picked up on it...and it'd have hurt there relationship. (Plus, if he lied, what would that have done to his and Dave's relationship (such as it is)?

Glad you're enjoying the story..and thanks for the comments!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm so happy to see the boys together with their father! The love in that room was making me cry here!! I can't wait until the 10th! Thanks for writing this story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 05:21 PM, CNJKevin said:
I'm so happy to see the boys together with their father! The love in that room was making me cry here!! I can't wait until the 10th! Thanks for writing this story.
I LOVED that the boys were so determined to see their dad that they faked out the Assistant Director of the FBI! Now THAT'S commitment! And their acceptance of Dave, even though they don't necessarily understand what's going on is pretty remarkable, too.

Glad you're enjoying the story, and glad you're here for the ride!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This entire story has me by the balls, it's just so damn good. I cannot wait till the next chapter.

The relationship between Dave and Barry is so beautiful, the only physical love they need is the most innocent form. Argh, I just love the way you depict their relationship; it shows that relationships can function well with intimacy and with no sex.

As for the boys. They are very great characters, I just adore the way the are when it comes to their father despite everything. Most kids would've thrown tantrums and not spoken to their fathers but this, they, are refreshing.

Thank you for a good read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 04:55 AM, Grunge_Ken said:
This entire story has me by the balls, it's just so damn good. I cannot wait till the next chapter.

The relationship between Dave and Barry is so beautiful, the only physical love they need is the most innocent form. Argh, I just love the way you depict their relationship; it shows that relationships can function well with intimacy and with no sex.

As for the boys. They are very great characters, I just adore the way the are when it comes to their father despite everything. Most kids would've thrown tantrums and not spoken to their fathers but this, they, are refreshing.

Thank you for a good read.

Thanks for the comments--and I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

Dave and Barry's relationship is just starting...it's still an "exploratory" thing for Barry, and Dave's been enough of a gentlemen he's not pushing--something kind of remarkable for a gay man not to push for sex! Think they both get the concept of "intimacy", and its impact.

The boys are great guys. Barry's focus on his kids during their upbringing has paid off bigtime.

Glad you're enjoying--and a new chapter will be out tomorrow!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, but something is bothering me. The mom was killed, what, a month ago? How in the world are the boys ok with Barry and Dave right now? Not the "are you gay?" issue, but more of a "mom just died and you've moved on already?" reaction. I get the impression that Barry wasn't in love with his wife for a long time (no one who loves someone cheats on them like Barry/Frank did). I think he cared about her like a friend and she was good for his image as a "trust worthy family man", but not love, so moving on so fast with Dave would not be a leap for him. Unless the boys knew that their dad cheated constantly and wasn't in love with their mother I don't really understand their easy acceptance. Don't get me wrong, the scene was beautiful and well written, but didn't seem realistic.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 01:07 AM, LitLover said:
Great chapter, but something is bothering me. The mom was killed, what, a month ago? How in the world are the boys ok with Barry and Dave right now? Not the "are you gay?" issue, but more of a "mom just died and you've moved on already?" reaction. I get the impression that Barry wasn't in love with his wife for a long time (no one who loves someone cheats on them like Barry/Frank did). I think he cared about her like a friend and she was good for his image as a "trust worthy family man", but not love, so moving on so fast with Dave would not be a leap for him. Unless the boys knew that their dad cheated constantly and wasn't in love with their mother I don't really understand their easy acceptance. Don't get me wrong, the scene was beautiful and well written, but didn't seem realistic.
Thanks for the comments, Lit!

Think part of the boys' acceptance is just the fact that so much is happening so fast--they're as shell-shocked as anyone! Their dad was always been open and accepting with them so perhaps that "I don't understand, but I'll accept" attitude is what's carrying 'em though it all.

Did he love his wife? In his own way, yup. It wasn't passion-filled, but still genuine, like many long-term marriages that become deep friends. Although, I don't think for a minute that Barry every cared for her only because she was good for his image; just that their relationship changed over time. And we've seen Barry's ability to compartmentalize his feelings, so he was apparently able to keep his cheating in a separate box--and not a threat--to his marriage.

Thanks for the thought-provoking response!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 04:09 PM, craftingmom said:
Aww, he got to see his boys. Funny that trey already suspected...

Glad it worked that he got to see his boys before trial. And really proud of Barry for being as open and direct as he was about his feeling. Trey's suspicions were obviously a recent development--but isn't he a chip off the old block, making a bet on the outcome?!?!?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 04:09 PM, craftingmom said:
Aww, he got to see his boys. Funny that trey already suspected...

Glad it worked that he got to see his boys before trial. And really proud of Barry for being as open and direct as he was about his feeling. Trey's suspicions were obviously a recent development--but isn't he a chip off the old block, making a bet on the outcome?!?!?
  • Like 1
Link to comment

The only negative thing about Barry's personality, is his ability to compartmentalize different aspects of his life.. I understand; just don't like it, It's funny when his boxes keep opening and he has to deal with issues unprepared.

I do respect his selective honesty; he IS a crook remember, and hope that he can find redemptive love with his sons and Dave.....love me some Dave

:) Mike

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/20/2015 01:49 AM, flamingo136 said:
The only negative thing about Barry's personality, is his ability to compartmentalize different aspects of his life.. I understand; just don't like it, It's funny when his boxes keep opening and he has to deal with issues unprepared.

I do respect his selective honesty; he IS a crook remember, and hope that he can find redemptive love with his sons and Dave.....love me some Dave

:) Mike

Mike, I'm not at all certain that Barry is any different from lots of people we know. When you're so totally overwhelmed with life, sometimes the only way to survive is to "box it up and deal with it later". Think that's exactly where Barry is in the hurricane of his life.

And Dave is the rock that's kept him sane...how can ya not love the guy?!?!?

Glad you sticking with the story....hope you'll continue to enjoy it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

great story. I love to read gay fiction, very drawn to mystery/adventure and history type stories.
Noticed on the bottom of a prev chapter that this is an early work of yours. Glad it is as that means you've had time to write the next one Im going to read :P...
Sort of backwards but get Barry's shift in orientation. I 'label' myself gay now - spent a lot of years dealing with confusion over the whole sexuality thing. Younger in life intended to be single vs deal with it and met the only female Ive ever had feelings for. That lasted 15 years ( during which I didn't much question sexuality), after a divorce starting life over I decided to check out the path I hadn't traveled. Cant see being with anyone non male ever again. Does though help me get why Barry can having been fine where he was until he explored the other options.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/07/2016 11:46 AM, Cajbor said:

great story. I love to read gay fiction, very drawn to mystery/adventure and history type stories.

Noticed on the bottom of a prev chapter that this is an early work of yours. Glad it is as that means you've had time to write the next one Im going to read :P...

Sort of backwards but get Barry's shift in orientation. I 'label' myself gay now - spent a lot of years dealing with confusion over the whole sexuality thing. Younger in life intended to be single vs deal with it and met the only female Ive ever had feelings for. That lasted 15 years ( during which I didn't much question sexuality), after a divorce starting life over I decided to check out the path I hadn't traveled. Cant see being with anyone non male ever again. Does though help me get why Barry can having been fine where he was until he explored the other options.

THANK YOU for the kind words--and the honesty about your own life!

I'd written another shorter story, "Joe the Welder", prior to Landfall...and there's now another full-length story, "Lion's Lair", which has starring guest appearances with Bubba and Bulldog as a part of that stand-alone story. I hope you'll enjoy it!

And, again, thanks for the review!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/4/2015 at 7:19 PM, Timothy M. said:

Very emotional but also very real. I'm beginning to hope that they can relocate all three of them together. I'm sure that will console for the loss of football + girlfriend and for loss of boyfriend. But it all hinges on the boys keeping away from the press from now on and the FBI needs to start erasing photos all over the place. I'm sure they have already gotten a media block out ready.

I really hope they can all be relocated together. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/10/2015 at 5:07 PM, LitLover said:

Great chapter, but something is bothering me. The mom was killed, what, a month ago? How in the world are the boys ok with Barry and Dave right now? Not the "are you gay?" issue, but more of a "mom just died and you've moved on already?" reaction. I get the impression that Barry wasn't in love with his wife for a long time (no one who loves someone cheats on them like Barry/Frank did). I think he cared about her like a friend and she was good for his image as a "trust worthy family man", but not love, so moving on so fast with Dave would not be a leap for him. Unless the boys knew that their dad cheated constantly and wasn't in love with their mother I don't really understand their easy acceptance. Don't get me wrong, the scene was beautiful and well written, but didn't seem realistic.

I agree with you. Barry must have loved Jackie like a sister or a friend for a long time to be able to move on so quickly. 

Link to comment

A wonderful story. Thank you Rex. I think Barry's exploration of his sexuality resonates with many of us who may have been in heterosexual marriages for a long time. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..