Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 1,952 Words
  • 4,664 Views
  • 29 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 11. The Fury of the Storm

Is this....Landfall?

I wake at 6:30 am to Dave's cell phone alarm, hearing the sound of driving rain on the balcony doors. It's flooding outside, lightning flashing; long rolling kettle drums of thunder.

As nasty as the night Jackie died. Not a good sign.

Dave snuggles next to my back, chin on my shoulder. “I'll order breakfast, have it delivered to Jonathan and Greg's next door. We can eat before we head out. Court starts at 10, need to leave by 9:15 or so. I'll have 'em deliver at 7:30 ok?” Dave is fully alert; wonder how long he's been awake?

“You go ahead, hit the shower, get dressed. I had staff pull a couple of suits and dress shirts from your house; they're in the closet. Want ya looking sharp for court today!” He smiles. “And yeah, I've got a couple of suits here, too—don't want you showing me up.”

I shower, shave, pull on a t-shirt and my suit pants. Dave's ready quickly, like me in t-shirt and suit slacks. We head next door, and just make it inside when breakfast is delivered. Everyone's making nervous small talk, no mention of the trial this morning.

We killed enough time to make it to 9 am. Dave calls breakfast to a close. “Jonathan, you get the Suburban to the elevator doors. We'll be there at 9:20. With the rain, we're gonna need a few extra minutes to make it through traffic to be at court before 10. Greg, you go down with me and Barry in the elevator. I'll knock on your wall when we're ready.”

Dave and I head back to our room to finish dressing. Certain Jonathan and Greg are finishing dressing too, since they were in t-shirts and suit pants during breakfast just like Dave and me.

Pull on the dress shirt, and tuck it in. Grab a tie, and tie it from memory. After living in t-shirt and shorts the last month or so, this feels strange, even if it was my work “uniform” for the last 20 years. Grab my jacket and turn around.

Dave is standing with jacket on, and damn, is my lawman a looker or what? Navy blue suit, pale blue shirt making his electric blue eyes sparkle and black hair look like a photoshopped picture. I'm stunned, literally can't get a word out.

“Do I look ok?” He's brushing his broad shoulders to make sure they're lint free, and looks up and smiles. Breathtaking.

“Come here, ya big lug.” I grab him and hug hard. I can feel the underarm holster with his gun. “Things start to change today, and I've never said thanks....well, for everything.”

“Barry, it only gets better. You'll see. Trust me on this.” He leans down a little and kisses me. “That was for luck. You look great! Now let's go.” He's going into full-blown professional mode.

He heads to the guest bedroom, knocks on the wall as the signal for Greg. Minutes later, there's the coded knock on our door. We open up to head out.

The door across the hall opens up, the boys come racing out in jeans, barefoot, shirtless, both of their agents behind 'em. Trey has on the belt buckle I gave him. They grab me in hugs and hard squeezes. “We heard the knock...had to see ya before you headed out. Go get 'em, dad!” Trey's speaking; Cory's head is bobbing up and down like a old-time car ornament in agreement. “We'll see you later today! Good luck!”

Dave grabs my arm and nods down the hall toward the elevator. It's time.

“I'll see you later, boys! Behave! Love you!”

Code entered for the parking garage. Suburban waiting, Jonathan at the wheel. We load up and head out.

The federal building is only maybe a dozen blocks away, but with downtown Dallas' one-way streets, takes maybe 20 minutes, and the rain is slowing everyone down. Jonathan turns to head into the parking garage adjacent to the building—I'm assuming it's a secured entrance—and we come to a dead stop. There's a wreck, blocking the garage's entrance. Two cars, the one coming out of the garage has T-boned the driver's side of the other car still in the street. Two ambulances and a fire truck fully block the entrance. Paramedics are working on the driver of the car in the street, the other driver under an umbrella in suit and tie, leaning against the rear fender of his car, is holding a piece of gauze against the side of his face. We aren't going in that way.

Look over at Dave. He's grim. “Hafta go in through the front, dammit. Circle the block Jonathan, pull up as close as ya can—get on the sidewalk if ya have to—we need to be as close to the doors as possible.” The fast sweep of the wipers on the windshield only emphasizes his frustration.

Jonathan makes the block, and we round the corner to see the Federal Building set back from the street, smaller buildings to either side, plaza in the middle. One of those brick, stone, and glass monstrosities designed to be imposing, and yet is remarkably forgettable. It's a storm of activity in front of the building, even in the now lighter rain.

Dallas police have set up barricades, creating a walkway to the entrance. TV satellite trucks are parked at random spots on either side of the street, with cabling stretched across the street for news feeds. Their generators are running full blast adding to a dull roar of sound from the traffic, the crowd, and the cop radios.

Photographers are on the sides of the barricades pushing and shoving to get to the front doors, along with interested bystanders. Newscasters are standing around, mics in hand, ready in case an interview emergency occurs. Since they aren't allowing cameras in the court room, the best the newscasters can hope is that they get an interview with someone who's actually in the court—and they only got in by registering and getting a “ticket”. Apparently, this is the best show in town. Insane. At least the rain is letting up.

Jonathan can't get close to the door, maybe 40 yards or so away, due to the permanent concrete pylons installed to make sure terrorists can't drive near the buildings. He pulls up, making sure Dave can open his door.

“We're gonna hafta run the gauntlet, guys. Greg, you take the lead, I'll be just behind ya to the right. Barry will be sandwiched between us, Jonathan will be right behind him. Greg and I will wait till Jonathan's out of the Suburban. Barry, you get out, we're gonna move quickly—not running, but quickly—to get inside the building. The front glass and doors are bullet-proof, so we'll be in better shape inside.” Dave's obviously done this before.

Dave's out, standing in the drizzle. Greg seemingly joins him instantly.

“Shit.” Jonathan's curse snaps me out of my focus outside. “I've got to move the truck up a little, I can't get out with these fuckin' pylons in the way.” He moves the truck up maybe a foot, and test opens his door. “Ok, let's go.”

Our movement gets the crowd's attention, and they surge forward. Dallas police are working to keep 'em behind the barricades, but it's a challenge. I open the door, everyone assumes their positions, and we start walking.

The crowd is yelling, everyone vying for our attention. Various questions about the case, we keep walking, not answering. There's a surge of energy, and a section of barricade gives way. The crowd starts to overflow into the plaza, but the Dallas cops manage to push 'em back.

We're maybe 20 yard to the entrance door, halfway there. I turn my head slightly to the right, and see it--there's a red dot on Dave's shoulder. It disappears for a second and it's back.

“SHOOTER!”

Everything goes into slow motion.

I give Dave a small shove, and he whirls around to look at me. There's 3, 4, 5 pops—I don't know how many--and Dave's neck is blooming in blood, messing up the collar of his shirt. He staggers back, falling. Never had a chance to grab his gun.

The crowd's yelling. Running. Panicked.

Greg has turned around, gun drawn, he shoves at me. “Get to the fucking truck! NOW!” Another couple of pops as I turn, and Greg is clutching his chest, blood over his tie and shirt. He manages to make a couple of steps then falls face down on the plaza's concrete, not moving.

Jonathan's grabbed my arm, clamped on tight. He's dragging me along. Gun in his other hand. “Run, god dammit! RUN!” A couple more pops, and he's grabbing his chest, too. Navy suit shoulder is purple red, then there's a red patch off center of his chest on his crisp white shirt.

I'm running as fast as I can. The guys are all lying on the plaza behind me. Maybe 10 yards or so from the truck, and hear another couple of pops. Feeling a burning in my left arm, and it's hanging pretty uselessly by my side, blood on the sleeve. Another pop. My head is throbbing, there's something dripping in my eyes, can't see what's up ahead. Another pop, dead center in my chest, I stagger back. A final pop. I'm knocked back on the ground, flat on my back, I try to clear my face, but there's blood all over my fingers when I do.

All is quiet...the hum of the TV satellite trucks' generators adds only white noise. Just silence. There's no traffic sound, no people sounds. Sirens in the distance getting closer. Can't keep my eyes open...need to get to Dave...wish I could see my boys....

“Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt our regular programming for this breaking news story. Here's the scene at Federal Plaza in downtown Dallas where an unidentified gunman just moments ago opened fire as federal agents were entering the Court building with Frank Cavauto. Cavauto, as you remember, was the lead witness in the federal banking corruption trial which was scheduled to start today.”

“This scene happened just moments ago, we'll roll the video clip of the attack, and you can clearly see the agents being shot in a hail of bullets. The FBI has confirmed that two unnamed agents were killed in this attack, and one agent is in critical condition at Parkland hospital. The extent of his injuries is unknown.”

“You can see Cavauto racing to get to the safety of the Suburban when he's struck by the sniper as well, apparently shot multiple times in a storm of gunfire. And....this just in, we're now being told by reliable sources that Cavauto was also killed in this attack. Cavauto would have testified against alleged mob influence in banking and a variety of industries.”

“Also in this case, federal prosecutors with the Justice Department have just announced that they reached a plea agreement with the defendants, details of which will be announced later today. This deal was reached after intense, round-the-clock negotiations that only ended shortly after daybreak this morning.”

“Again, this breaking news: Frank Cavauto, lead witness in a federal case of mob banking corruption, along with 2 FBI agents, has been killed, and one agent has been critically injured in a sniper attack at Federal Plaza in downtown Dallas.”

“Stay tuned to WFAA, Channel 8 for more details as we receive them. We'll have a full report at our noon and 6 pm newscasts. Thank you for joining us--and your regular programming will resume shortly.”

Thanks for following along! I try to publish every 5 days or so, so watch for new chapters then. Or, better yet, "follow the story" to automatically receive an email when the story has new chapters or updates.
And, if you haven't done so, let me know what you think of the tale so far. Your "likes" and comments/reviews make a difference!
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Well, that was a low blow. as I mentioned when I first read this, I hope that you have a plan here because otherwise I will not be reading any more cos what would there be to read about? I was hoping for kids and grand kids and now??

  • Like 3
Link to comment

FUCK that was bad, Greg and Jonathan didn't wear bullet proof vests like Dave and Barry?

You see, I'm not tricked. ;) If Barry had been lethally injured by the shot to the chest, he wouldn't have been able to wipe his face with his fingers afterwards.

At least the witness protection will work better, but I sure hope Dave's neck wound was much less serious than reported. And Frank's boys will be devastated.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 11:38 PM, Ben Highlander said:
Well, that was a low blow. as I mentioned when I first read this, I hope that you have a plan here because otherwise I will not be reading any more cos what would there be to read about? I was hoping for kids and grand kids and now??
Storm's landfall is never easy....
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 11:46 PM, charlieocho said:
This sucks.
Winds are always the highest at the eye of the storm's edge.....there are always damages....
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 11:47 PM, Timothy M. said:
FUCK that was bad, Greg and Jonathan didn't wear bullet proof vests like Dave and Barry?

You see, I'm not tricked. ;) If Barry had been lethally injured by the shot to the chest, he wouldn't have been able to wipe his face with his fingers afterwards.

At least the witness protection will work better, but I sure hope Dave's neck wound was much less serious than reported. And Frank's boys will be devastated.

DID Dave and Barry have bulletproof vests?

And do all critical wounds kill instantly?

Yup, it's a tough chapter.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

" As nasty as the night Jackie died, Not a good sign " An ominous observation to start the day. Barry's reaction to seeing Dave in his suit and the boys getting up and out to say goodbye provided a brief respite for the storm that was coming. Landfall was ferocious when it hit, totally unforgiving and unconcerned for who it wreaked its havoc on. It hit at breakneck speed with no let up and my heart was in my mouth the whole time, even knowing what was going to occur. As Barry lay dying my thoughts went to the boys and what they have already lost, and now they can add their dad to the list. An absolutely stunning chapter that has the reader at it's mercy form beginning to end. Where we go from here, in the aftermath of Landfall, is frightening to think of...you have us all in your hands Robert....Cheers...Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well that was fast and furious. I'm hoping that the news reporters were fed a false story as a way to get Barry into witness protection with no one looking for him. I do feel bad for his sons though. No matter what, they're going to lose their dad.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thinking of the boys watching on tv as their dad is killed is killing me. I couldn't like this chapter at face value, but somehow I wonder if the deaths were faked to make the mob think Cavuto really was dead? One can hope, otherwise it's a pretty bleak ending to the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You are one evil dude! LOL

Too bad about Greg & Johnathan, I'm hoping they somehow survive, I always hate to see the good guys go down, specially a couple that seemed to have so much joy in them. How hard are you going to make it on Dave, Barry and the kids?. If Dave was hit in the neck his recovery could be long....

Fucking Dallas and snipers, first Kennedy and now Frank!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I hate you! (just kidding) Now we have to wait another five days.... (not happy) Maybe the next chapter is already written and you can post sooner? 0:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 01:17 AM, Headstall said:
" As nasty as the night Jackie died, Not a good sign " An ominous observation to start the day. Barry's reaction to seeing Dave in his suit and the boys getting up and out to say goodbye provided a brief respite for the storm that was coming. Landfall was ferocious when it hit, totally unforgiving and unconcerned for who it wreaked its havoc on. It hit at breakneck speed with no let up and my heart was in my mouth the whole time, even knowing what was going to occur. As Barry lay dying my thoughts went to the boys and what they have already lost, and now they can add their dad to the list. An absolutely stunning chapter that has the reader at it's mercy form beginning to end. Where we go from here, in the aftermath of Landfall, is frightening to think of...you have us all in your hands Robert....Cheers...Gary
Trust me, this was a tough chapter for me to write! The boys' situation is heartbreaking.....and Barry's last thought is of them.....
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 01:36 AM, LitLover said:
Well that was fast and furious. I'm hoping that the news reporters were fed a false story as a way to get Barry into witness protection with no one looking for him. I do feel bad for his sons though. No matter what, they're going to lose their dad.
Tough chapter...and losses at every level. Landfall is never pretty....
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 01:38 AM, Daddydavek said:
Thinking of the boys watching on tv as their dad is killed is killing me. I couldn't like this chapter at face value, but somehow I wonder if the deaths were faked to make the mob think Cavuto really was dead? One can hope, otherwise it's a pretty bleak ending to the story.
Here's another thing to consider, Daddy.....was if landfall is all about... DAVE? Hm......
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 02:37 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You are one evil dude! LOL

Too bad about Greg & Johnathan, I'm hoping they somehow survive, I always hate to see the good guys go down, specially a couple that seemed to have so much joy in them. How hard are you going to make it on Dave, Barry and the kids?. If Dave was hit in the neck his recovery could be long....

Fucking Dallas and snipers, first Kennedy and now Frank!

Evil? Me? Nah....just reporting......the characters are real enough, it's more reporting than writing!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 04:59 AM, GWood said:
I hate you! (just kidding) Now we have to wait another five days.... (not happy) Maybe the next chapter is already written and you can post sooner? 0:)
Hang in there, GW.....it's not that far till final resolution of today's chapter....
  • Like 2
Link to comment

With a plea agreement reached and frank not having to testify, hopefully this was staged to allow frank to go into witness protection easier. And hopefully all the guys are ok

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I smell a rat, a few of them. Really intense, well paced scene where the reader could feel the tension mount. You could also see that doom was coming. I hope the news is seeded and the guys remembered their bullet proof vests. They were suspiciously missing. I'm on the edge of my seat. Biting my nails.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 05:50 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I smell a rat, a few of them. Really intense, well paced scene where the reader could feel the tension mount. You could also see that doom was coming. I hope the news is seeded and the guys remembered their bullet proof vests. They were suspiciously missing. I'm on the edge of my seat. Biting my nails.
The eye of the storm is almost always predictable...the results aren't! Was the FBI unprepared for the secure entrance to be blocked? After all, things have gone along smoothly so far....

Glad you're following along!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 05:42 AM, Quiet man said:
With a plea agreement reached and frank not having to testify, hopefully this was staged to allow frank to go into witness protection easier. And hopefully all the guys are ok
Frank, Dave and the guys were obviously surprised. They'd not know about the plea deal, otherwise, they'd not have gone into court.

Thanks for sticking with the story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/11/2015 06:54 PM, CNJKevin said:
Noooo! This has gotta be a dream/nightmare that Barry is having. It's just gotta!!
Sometimes, reality does take on a dream-like quality--especialy when it's an intense reality. And this certainly is intense!

Thanks for following along with the story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/21/2015 04:18 PM, craftingmom said:
Oh crap! Moving on now! :read:
Glad you enjoyed the chapter...lots of activity here!
  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..