Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 569 Words
  • 2,181 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Being Cam - 2. September 28th

It’s been a week and I’m very proud of myself. See I’m not exactly the stick with it guy. I have started hundreds of projects over the years and maybe have finished four. Not exaggerating. It’s all about the idea for me, not the follow through. It’s been a boring week, not much to report here. I know that’s not what you want to hear. You want excitement, crazy parties and shenanigans, but that’s just not my life. Remember, I’m not one of those cools kids.

Something has been weighing on my mind though. Next week is the big homecoming dance at school. Emma and Isaac have been going insane talking about dates and dresses and suits and parties and corsages that I could almost throw myself into traffic.

Even Nate, our shy and quiet addition to the group, was talking about asking Alexa to the dance. Isaac was thinking of asking one of his harem to go with him. See, he is what we would call a player. He’s attractive to the girls, super laid back and easy to talk to and somehow they don’t mind sharing him.

“I’m thinking Mara might be the winner. Ash and Lexi were too eager to go and Rose said she thinking about going stag with some other friends.”

Emma rolled her eyes practically out of her head.

“You are ridiculous. How do women actually like you?”

We all laughed. Emma and Isaac would be perfect for each other if they just got their heads out of their own butts. They were that classic combination of boy meets girl that’s complete opposite and doesn’t take any crap from anyone that eventually fall madly in love with each other. We were still young. There was time.

“It’s obviously my charm and good looks, duh!”

Everyone else kept talking while my thoughts drifted. I never thought about things like this. Isaac always told me about his latest crush or latest girlfriend. Emma talked about the boys she thought were cute. Me, I never thought about anyone. No crushes on girls, no crushes on guys, nothing. The closest I ever got to was thinking Nate was cute when he first joined our group. I was five and we all thought everyone was cute at that age. I never really thought about it until now. Suddenly all eyes were on me and I must have missed something.

“What?”

“Who are you taking to the dance?” Emma asked. She had that know it all look in her eyes that always made me sacred.

“Uh… I don’t know. Probably no one.”

A definitive hush settled amongst us before Emma and Isaac launched back into their discussion. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nate staring at me. It was a very neutral look. Something I always hated about him. He was so hard to read. I never could tell what was going on in that head of his.

Come to think of it though: Nate definitely was still cute all these years later. I was comfortably enough in my manliness, or lack of, to admit it. Maybe there was more to what was going on in my head than I thought.

What did I like? Or did I not like anything? Was I completely insane? All the above?

Maybe this journal was a horrible idea.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am enjoying Cam's personality. The maturity of a late teen with the angst of an early one, if I'm not mistaken.

 

His thoughts are fun to read, kind of a reflection of my own. Except I'm not as eloquent.

Link to comment
On 3/29/2017 at 4:55 AM, thecalimack said:

I am enjoying Cam's personality. The maturity of a late teen with the angst of an early one, if I'm not mistaken.

 

His thoughts are fun to read, kind of a reflection of my own. Except I'm not as eloquent.

 

Thank you, that's what I was trying to go for. A weird mix of someone mature beyond their years but with all the angst you would expect of someone that age.

Link to comment

Cam is an interesting kid, writing about common themes. And he took the moment to notice Nate. A week of introspection ahead?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..