Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

Window Stories

   (7 reviews)
Sub-genres: Contemporary Literary
windowstory1.png

I remember my life now as if I'm looking out a window. Streaks of my life flash by me. I try to open the window and catch them, but the window won't open. So, I sit and watch them, and I wonder did they really happen or was it just a dream? Take a journey back in time as 78-year-old Phil Reid relates his life experiences to a younger man.

Copyright © 2024 Ronyx; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (21 members)

  • Action Packed 5
  • Addictive/Pacing 8
  • Characters 19
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 17
  • Feel-Good 12
  • Humor 12
  • Smoldering 5
  • Tearjerker 14
  • Unique 14
  • World Building 5

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 3,675 Words
    • 1,477 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 4,846 Words
    • 1,069 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 3,303 Words
    • 1,078 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 3,970 Words
    • 893 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 3,618 Words
    • 958 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 3,307 Words
    • 990 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 3,960 Words
    • 1,071 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 3,279 Words
    • 807 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 3,466 Words
    • 746 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 3,605 Words
    • 967 Views
    • 28 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 3,619 Words
    • 742 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 3,923 Words
    • 813 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 3,513 Words
    • 639 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 3,959 Words
    • 737 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 15. Chapter 15
    • 3,392 Words
    • 733 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 16. Chapter 16
    • 3,174 Words
    • 591 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 17. Chapter 17
    • 4,441 Words
    • 703 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 18. Chapter 18
    • 5,216 Words
    • 663 Views
    • 20 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

chris191070

· Edited by chris191070

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

This is a departure from @Ronyx usual style of story. That doesn't mean we depart the social topics that we can expect - abuse, illness, race, homophobia and more.

This story is from the point of view of an elderly gentleman in his final years, who is recovering from a stroke.

Whilst recovering, he meets Colin, who becomes his confidant as he tells his life story, which he visualizes through a series of Windows.

During Phil's journey we are introduced to a variety of people, who play an important part in his rehabilitation.

This story will make you angry, sad, happy and full of laughter. But after reading Phil's story you will realise that age is just a number.

This comes highly recommended.

  • Love 14
Link to review
weinerdog

· Edited by weinerdog

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

For those of you smart readers who have read the author's other stories you know that the protagonist is usually a gay teenage boy.There have been some exceptions Like In A Bridge To Yesterday was from an adult point of view but it was a character we first met as an teenager.In Stuff People Do the protagonist was an adult but the story started within as an teenager.

This story truly is a departure as it was from a perspective of a elderly gentleman in his final years.But it is done with same warmth ,caring, empathy and intelligence as his teenage stories.But for fans of his earlier work there is still plenty of flashbacks to his teenage years as there are two characters in their early 20's not too far removed from being teenagers and plus two other teenage characters one being his great grandson who he just met.For those of you who may otherwise past by this story  DON"T.This is @Ronyx after all so it will be excellent

BTW this was my 100th review and I just earned a badge .I'm delighted that it was  from a @Ronyx story

  • Love 14
Link to review
Cane23

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

@Ronyx is known by stories exploring social issues as - racial issues, homophobia, abuse, illness etc. Going one step further, this story deals with illness affecting older people.

Rehabilitating after stroke, Phil is lying in hospital bed waiting a Death to occur and take him to final voyage over the river Styx. Luckily, it is a young man Collin who shows at the door, becoming Phil's confessor and friend. Reveling his past, Phil slowly becomes physically and psychically better discovering that the sunset of his life doesn't have to be depressed and dark. During this emotional and touchy journey, you will cry, you will laugh and at the end, you'll make a farewell to this tale with feeling that age is just a number! 

  • Love 14
Link to review
Al Norris

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I have been a reader of @Ronyx's stories for many years. While I have criticized some of the ways in which he ends his stories, I have always enjoyed them.

His stories are stories of hope for our younger gay kids. Stories that highlight the many problems we have endured in our lives. As an author, @Ronyx has never shied away from many of the problems our gay youth share with our own lives, growing up. Even today, the pall of homosexuality brings many of the same issues that many of us have faced.

In this story, we are flipped with the reality of our end of life, old age. Seen through the windows of time, we see our protagonist as he relates to those younger folk around him.

I highly recommend this tale, as it deals with issues some of us older folk will face or are facing. Even the younger crowd will benefit. You will be where some of us are today.

  • Love 12
Link to review
Talo Segura

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Ronyx has written a different sort of story here, peopled with well drawn characters both past and present. The main character who is in his twilight years recounts his life story to new friends who enter his life. The narrative cleverly mixes past and present as we discover the good and the bad as was and as is today. We get to see life as it used to be for a gay man forced to hide his sexuality, how he struggled, overcame prejudice, but at what cost? And today, in the present of the story, we see what has changed and what is still a struggle. 

The story is beautifully told from the heart and is likely to touch your soul lightly or profoundly. You may be a reader of a generation who relates intimately to the history, but if not you will learn about life and struggles, friendships and love, heartache, remorse, and triumph. This story has it all, it only remains for you to read it!

  • Love 9
Link to review
pvtguy

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

An outstanding story of an elderly man who has had a stroke and, while depressed because of what he sees as life working against him on all levels, he discovers, through working with a young counselor, physical therapy, and the solicitousness of a nurse, a reason to live because of what he can do for others.  It definitely portrays negative aspects of his life, one especially hurtful - that of his lack of relationship with his son - that cannot be resolved.  Yet, he moves through this to reestablish a life that is filled with positivity.  This is a must read!

  • Love 13
Link to review
Dan South

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Aging and aging gay are two entirely different matters. I have no children to decide where I go when I can’t live alone. 
From that perspective I’ve found a touch of a cautionary tale in the Window Stories. Plan your exit people. Plan your exit.

I am here because I’m a huge fan of @Ronyx and this departure from his norm is a true delight. Why?

Love and loss three times. Independence and loss of. Figuring out how to come back from both? And just plain be a triumphant old guy?

Meet Phil.  Read this.

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..